Grilled Cheese & Veggie Pita with Tomato Soup

by Meghann on September 18, 2009

Aren’t Friday afternoons the best? You are so close to the end of the day that it feels like nothing can get in your way. *knock on wood!*

This morning I pulled out an old favorite as a snack.

IMG_2053

Carrots and Almond Butter, it has been far too long my friends!

Lunch today was a twist on the Classic Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup.

I presented Grilled Cheese & Veggie Pita with Tomato Soup. 🙂

IMG_2059

I’m not sure I mentioned this but the other week I had the crazy notion to purchase a 2 lb block of Feta Cheese at Costco. Two pounds of cheese? What was I thinking?!?!?

IMG_2054

I’ve managed to get it down to a pound, but I hope this explains all of the feta you’ve been seeing on my blog lately. let me tell you, once this is gone or goes bad –which ever comes first – I promise no more feta for a while. I am feta-ed out!

My Pita contained some of the Feta, Basil, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Cucumber and just a touch of Hummus to moisten it up.

IMG_2055

I grilled it on the george foreman. Best idea ever!

IMG_2061

I dipped the pita in the other half of the can of my Tomato Soup from last night.

IMG_2060

It’s like a match made in heaven. :)

After lunch I happily celebrated Cookie Friday with a Montana Whopper for dessert.

If you have any nominations for Follow Friday please e-mail them to me at graduatemeghann@gmail.com. I love discovering great new blogs as much as the next person. 🙂

• Absolut(ly) Fit – This blog was highly recommended to me by reader Stephanie and I have to say I’m hooked! Laura is a New Yorker with a passion for running and living life. She is currently committing to a goal of being the youngest female to run a marathon in all 50 states and she’s halfway there. As she states in her about me section “You would think all that running would render weight gain a non-problem for me… but you underestimate my penchant for good wine, good cocktails, and great food!” She has struggles just like the rest of us and through it all her writing style is very honest and very humorous. Check out her latest post on Six People for Six for Six Point Two Miles for a good laugh. You won’t be sorry.
  • Fabulously Broke in the City – This blog is a MUST READ for anyone worrying about finances or is in debt up their eyeballs. Hell, its a good read for ANYONE because lets face it we all need to learn a little bit about finances. Personally I learn by example, which is why I love this blog so much. Fabulously Broke is a 20-something year old who was able to get out of $60,000 worth of debt in 18 months! Her blog documents her real life finance issues and makes them totally relatable so even I can understand them. Please head over to her blog now and check it out. You may even learn a thing or two. 🙂

National Run At Work Day…

Did you know today is National Run at Work Day? I encourage everyone to take a 15 minute break from sitting at their desk and jog around the building… or you know at least a brisk walk? 😉

Thanks to VeggieGirl for sending this link my way!

1 Whit September 18, 2009 at 2:19 pm

ohhhhh follow friday! I love this part of your blog. LOVE IT.

2 Anne Marie@ Her New Weigh September 18, 2009 at 2:24 pm

The pita sandwich looks delicious! I really need to break out my George Foreman Grill more often!

3 Jen September 18, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I always buy goat cheese, etc in bulk, cut it up in chunks and freeze them. Just grab a small piece out of the freezer when i need one… Maybe that would work for your feta?!

4 greenbean September 18, 2009 at 2:45 pm

you can freeze the feta, i think!

5 Steph September 18, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Try freezing the feta. Hope your Friday is great!

6 JHunt September 18, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I love grilled cheese! One of my favorite comfort foods! 🙂
-Jessica @ http://howsweet.wordpress.com/

7 Lauren September 18, 2009 at 3:02 pm

My office is participating in National Run at Work Day! We are competing with our counterparts in the Boston HQ to see which office can run the most in the first six hours of the day on the treadmills in our corporate workout facility…people could run in 15-30 minute blocks, but I was out of the office the day the signups went up, so I didn’t get to compete. When I worked out over lunch (eliptical + strength) we were up to 34 miles in 4 hours – which is pretty snazzy!

8 Jennifer September 18, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I am so happy that someone finally mentioned the George Foreman on their site! I use it ALL the time to grill my quesidillas (sp?), pita pockets and wraps! It works so fabulous. I even grill my sandwiches on it. Best invention ever! 🙂
Loved your post yesterday about the cross country running. Going to college before I had children would have been on my list of things I wish I had done when I was younger. I still want to go to university to become a nutritionist. Someday. Right now I am living vicariously through Kath@Katheats. 🙂

9 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) September 18, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I too have made the ridiculous Feta purchase at Costco….not sure what I was thinking?!!?!
BUT, a good way to use it is to make a feta-based dip- my favorite is feta, cream cheese and roasted-red peppers… SO GOOD!!!!

10 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) September 18, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Oh, forgot to mention – pulse in a processor until mixed!

11 Beth @ DiningAndDishing September 18, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Fabulously Broke In the City sounds like an awesome read – sounds like my life! ha. Will def. check this out. I like the follow Friday idea a lot!

12 Jennifer @ His N Her Health September 18, 2009 at 3:43 pm

I bought goat cheese at Costco once too. I didn’t think of freezing it either so I was eating forever!!

13 Evan Thomas September 18, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I never would have guessed a run at work day even existed. I ran in my school’s gym? does that count? haha

14 inmytummy September 18, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I love reading Absolut(ly) Fit’s race recaps. She makes you feel like you are there with her.

15 jentrinque September 18, 2009 at 4:13 pm

LOL, that is SO MUCH feta! I hadn’t noticed you over-using it, though. I think I’m going to have to make those Montana Whoppers since they’re all over blog world!

16 Lizzy September 18, 2009 at 4:13 pm

i am certainly going to check out the Follow friday blogs! yay

that veggie grilled cheese looks delish. i would never think to use feta as the cheese and then grill it. good idea!

17 bananaandchocolate September 18, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Your veggie grilled cheese looks so good! I love feta but whoa thats a lot of cheese!

I’m going to check out your follow Friday blogs right now!

18 Holly September 18, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Thanks for the blog recs! I already love Laura, Asbolute(ly) Fit, but I added the other one!

19 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 18, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I love feta, but don’t know that I would buy 2 pounds of it – BUT, when I want it I don’t have it so… maybe. I like your pita – I love stuffing pitas full of cheese and grilling them, they’re super yum!

20 Jenna September 18, 2009 at 5:49 pm

sandwich looks great! love the two blogs you mentioned!
jenna

21 Matt September 18, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Mmmm grilled cheese and tomato soup… One of my favorite combos!

22 greensandjeans September 18, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Gotta love Costco for forcing you to make massive quantities of food with a specific ingredient! Fun fact, I work at a running/biking apparel store and anyone who ran at work today (note from their boss, really!) got an extra 25% off today!

23 Ellen September 18, 2009 at 6:20 pm

ooh feta is a good cheese to have, but i would definitely get sick of its distinct flavor after a pound 🙂 make a batch or two of this for a party! http://www.yumsugar.com/2946505

super easy and really delicious. freeze the rest!

24 Kristen September 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Run at Work Day is such an awesome concept. I actually got into running by jogging on the trail near my old workplace at Stanford University in Palo Alto, CA. Before I knew it, I was running the Napa Valley Marathon!

Love Follow Friday as well. 🙂

25 jokach September 18, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Wow, i’ve never gotten so hungry just by reading another runners blog … nice photos, they seem to bring the food to life.

I tried the National Run at Work day thing also, and nobody seemed amused by it when I brought it up. I wasn’t concerned about the response though since I knew that 1) I got in a good run in the morning and 2) these are the same people who stare at me at lunchtime for eating ‘so healthy’ .. they all could use a few hours on a treadmill just walking .. lol

Good luck with your training ….

26 bridget September 18, 2009 at 9:09 pm

i’ve bought that feta cheese block before, sealed it in little packages and froze it until ready—works like a charm!

27 Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 18, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Really cute recommendations this week for Follow Friday!

28 broccolihut September 19, 2009 at 2:01 am

Yummy! I am totally in the mood for a grilled cheese/tomato soup meal–it’s been raining all day!