Puppy Training

by Meghann on September 17, 2009

Maddie and I had out first of eight puppy training classes this evening.

IMG_2044.JPG

It was the first class, so there was a lot of talking and explaining of what to expect out of the class. I’ve already picked up a couple pointers that I am going to start incorporating in my training at home.

She was a ball of energy the whole class. She LOVES playing with other puppies and I can tell she is really going to enjoy this.

The best part was during the class a little girl sat next to me and spent the whole time messing with Maddie. I was afraid Maddie was going to bark at her or try to nip, but she was a perfect angel. I was a very proud Mama!

Let’s hope she stays this good for all 8 classes!!

Now, for some reason my lunch today did not hold me over at all. Less then 2 hours later my stomach was growling pretty loudly. Luckily, I was able to provide a pretty hearty snack to hold me over until dinner.

IMG_2028.JPG

I had a Strawberry Chobani with the last of my Honest Foods Blueberry Vanilla Crackle Plank.

IMG_2030.JPG

Yum!

Since our classes started at 7:00 and I live less then 5 minutes from the PetSmart, I decided to eat dinner before hand.

IMG_2038.JPG

I was feeling pretty lazy and took the easy route with an Amy’s Burrito

IMG_2034.JPG

I topped my burrito with some Trader Joe’s Peach Salsa.

IMG_2040.JPG

And a cup of Tomato Soup.

IMG_2036.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

After class I could not wait to dig into dessert. πŸ™‚

IMG_2045.JPG

Edy’s Tart Honey FroYo with a little Granola on the bottom and Raspberries on top.

I am really excited about these Puppy Training classes. I hope I am able to work with Maddie to really make them effective. Cross your finger for me. We’re going to need it!

1 Mackenzie September 17, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I don’t know the circumstances of your coworker, so I could be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off, but it slightly concerns me that he says he believes his daughter isn’t giving it her all. I can’t help but to instantly think pushy soccer dad type parent who wants his daugther to do better and better and maybe she IS giving it her all, or maybe she just honestly isn’t that great, or maybe she detests XC.

On the other hand….she could just not be giving it her all. Either scenario is sorta sad though, right? Did anyone else feel umcortable that this dad is telling his coworkers that his daughter has subpar work ethic?

2 jentrinque September 17, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Good luck with the puppy training classes! I think it’s so great that you’re proactive and want to be a great dog owner.

3 Matt September 17, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Glad training is going well!

Haha my dog was actually KICKED OUT of training. That is how wild he is! Luckily he has calmed down a ton since he has gotten a bit older. Sometimes puppies can just be insane.

4 inmytummy September 17, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I did the Petsmart beginner training. My dog was 2 years old. He did well, but you definitely need to practice at home!

5 Amy September 17, 2009 at 9:40 pm

We just started private lessons for our 16 month old pointer mix. She’s good when it’s just us, but goes CRAZY when she sees other dogs or people. Not mean, she just wants to play. I’m hoping that we get trained so we can control her better. πŸ™‚

I never ran XC because I was a band nerd and that was marching band season. πŸ™‚ I detested running and would only run a couple miles to stay in shape for soccer. Around 23 something clicked and I can’t get enough running. I’m switching things up a little and doing some tris, but still love running.

6 Emily September 17, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for sharing about puppy training, we are hoping to get a dog soon and so many people have been recommending it.

7 Morgan September 17, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I did puppy training with my little boy and it made such a difference. Just make sure to do your “homework” and keep up with the training at home, with positive reinforcement. It makes such a difference. The best part was how pooped he was at the end of class. He was so young and little, he was even pooped the next morning!
My little tip…keep treats everywhere you let Maddie go. I kept them on my desk, in our bedroom, living room, etc. I even got a dorky pouch for walks. That way, you can always practice, and reward her for a job well done!

8 Mellissa September 17, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Good luck with the classes, I know the more you do know with her the better the future will be!

9 Lizzy September 17, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Aw i’m so happy that maddie was such a good girl, and really enjoyed herself at class! can’t wait to hear about it more! πŸ™‚

10 Liz September 17, 2009 at 9:57 pm

I’m currently in week 3 of the beginner class at Petsmart with my doggy… she’s doing great and I think the social aspect of a group class really helps. Good luck!

11 angieinatlanta September 17, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Maddie’s gettin’ so big!

Amy’s Burritos might be a bit of a lazy girl dinner but those are SO delish!

12 Mica September 17, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I bet Maddie will be the star pupil!

Mm, the raspberries on the fro-yo are just what I want right now.

13 Jaci September 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I’m doing puppy training, too! I have a 5-month old boxer. She’s kind of the crazy one in class, unlike sweet Maddie!

14 Stephanie September 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Awwww congrats on ya’lls first class! I remember those days πŸ™‚ It’s so much fun though, and the “proud doggy momma” feeling is awesome right?!

15 Steph September 17, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I bet Maddie is going to do awesome in training! Have fun!

16 Deb September 18, 2009 at 5:34 am

Glad Maddie’s first class went well. You will both do great!

17 Katie (Runs for Fun) September 18, 2009 at 6:43 am

Good luck with Maddie’s puppy training! We took our border collie (now 11 months) to a puppy class, a basic obedience class, and now agility and rally classes, and it was so great not just for the “obedient” part of it, but for him to have something to do and focus his energy on. The key is definitely working on it at home…and lots of treats!

18 JHunt September 18, 2009 at 6:46 am

Good luck with puppy training! πŸ™‚ I really need to try the peach salsa from TJ’s!
-Jessica @ http://howsweet.wordpress.com/

19 Rosey Rebecca September 18, 2009 at 7:39 am

Maddie is adorable. I had that blueberry vanilla honest foods plank a couple months back and didn’t like it that much. I love your dinner. I’ve been wanting to try Amy’s Burritos.

20 Molly September 18, 2009 at 8:01 am

good luck with the puppy training πŸ™‚ My pup (who is a year and a half now) had troubles of his own! He got the concept right away, but whenever he was in a new house he thought he could just go anywhere.
So I understand how frustrated you are! When it’s all said and done Im sure a carpet cleaner will do wonders πŸ™‚ haha

Your icecream looks amazing by the way! I need to try it ASAP

21 Neely September 18, 2009 at 8:03 am

Not to be a Debbie Downer hijacking this post but Petsmart is riddled with accusations of severe animal cruelty. I just wanted to post some links so you could read for yourselves. I don’t have the heart to patronize them. I also know someone who worked there, briefly, and spoke to instances of small animal abuse. She quit after a short time of seeing this.

22 Jenna September 18, 2009 at 9:18 am

congrats on a good puppy class!
love amy’s burritos!
jenna

23 Anne Marie@ Her New Weigh September 18, 2009 at 9:53 am

Maddie is so cute! I hope all goes well with the rest of the classes!

24 Samantha September 18, 2009 at 10:49 am

I haven’t tried that flavor of Amy’s but I am sure it is just as good as all the other ones, yum!

25 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 18, 2009 at 10:52 am

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

26 Lauren September 18, 2009 at 11:39 am

Aw it sounds like Maddie did wonderfully at her first class! Very exciting. My puppy is enrolled in an obedience class right now, and I love it for the socialization aspect. He is extremely playful and constantly wants to jump on other dogs, so being able to interact with dogs in a more structured setting is proving to be really beneficial for him.

I’m also doing one-on-one training with a private trainer who comes to our apartment. I really, really like this. She is just so adept at interacting with puppies and giving practical advice. Private training can be a little pricey, but I highly recommend it!

(Of course, obedience classes are more than enough for many dogs. This is our first dog, ever, and my boyfriend and I may have slightly overestimated how much training he would need…lol).

27 eclecticflgirl September 18, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I hope Maddie does great in the rest of her classes!
I’m loving all the yogurt you had yesterday…I’d give anything for some right now! I’ll have to try the Edy’s soon, that looks delicious.