Confessions of a Garmin Addict

by Meghann on September 17, 2009

I followed my normal routine this morning. I got up, got dressed, had a small snack, drank a small glass of water, got all my electronics on and headed out the door.

It wasn’t until I got to the bottom of my stairs that I realized the beeping noise my Garmin usually makes when it turns on wasn’t happening. I had a blank screen and no matter how many buttons I pressed nothing made the screen light up.

Instead of freaking out, I threw my Garmin back in my apartment and took off on my planned training run. I tried not to think about it, but I felt myself get a little upset each time I looked down at my wrist expecting to read a time.

Luckily, today was just a simple 6 mile run and I had a pre-determined route picked out. This was my first run with out my Garmin in a while. I felt naked and slow. I think I have a Garmin addiction!

When I returned home I made fixing my Garmin a priority. After a quick Google search I was able to reset my Garmin by holding the down the ‘Reset’ and ‘Mode’ button for 15 seconds. Crisis averted!

If the only drama I have in my life this morning is my Garmin not starting, then I consider myself a very lucky girl! I knew it would be an easy fix, but until you see it for your self there are always those ‘what ifs’ in the back of your head. 🙂

At least my breakfast had no problems.

IMG_2014

I would with easy this morning and toasted a bagel.

IMG_2013

Half with Almond Butter.

IMG_2011

And the other half with Blackberry Jam.

IMG_2012

Then the last of my fruit salad from Tuesday.

IMG_2008

I <3 fruit!

On a side note I was really surprised to not wake up sore at all from the trampoline class yesterday. Though I did find it funny as I was walking around my apartment my legs kept expecting the floor to bounce. Wouldn’t it be cool if our living room floors really did bounce? Or maybe the office floor? I don’t think I would get any work done, but talk about boosting company morale!

1 ohsnapitsMegan September 17, 2009 at 9:08 am

Have you ever thought about taking a balance ball to work and using it at your desk instead of a chair? That would make the office bounce! I’ve wanted to try it for long time (since it does so much for your core and posture) but I’m too chicken. My cubicle is set up special for our department where we all look out at each other and I can just picture my co-workers giggling at me bouncing all day!

2 Brandi September 17, 2009 at 9:09 am

ha, my battery is low on my Garmin so I just went without it the other day, too.

it was nice but strange that I couldn’t look down at my pace 🙂

i would love to have a trampoline floor!

3 rhodeygirltests September 17, 2009 at 9:11 am

trampoline gym is my dream. i wish we had one here!

i just got my garmin but i can’t imagine ever being without it. the hubs is worse, he keeps looking at and analyzing his stats online. obsessed.

4 fittipexchange September 17, 2009 at 9:15 am

So much fun last night!

PS. Your cookies were A-Mazing!

5 Shannon (The Daily Balance) September 17, 2009 at 9:17 am

fantastic breakfast – love the fresh fruit!

Ha- trampoline floors would rock! We’d get more of a workout, too – those things work your legs big time!

6 Courtney September 17, 2009 at 9:26 am

I think I would have a hard time if I forgot my heart rate monitor! I think at some point I won’t use it as much anymore, but I like it to know my total time exercising and my calories burned as I am trying to lose weight. I think eventually I will try to just use the time function and occasionally monitor my heart rate.

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

7 Leianna September 17, 2009 at 9:33 am

When I don’t bring my nike ipod I find myself always looking for it to, such motivation when you see your pace!
Great breakfast and I want trampoline floors at work:)

8 Sarah W. September 17, 2009 at 9:44 am

what do you eat as a small snack to power you through yoru morning workouts? i’m somebody who has to have some fuel in my belly to workout.

i’m gonna start having to wake up super early to get my workouts in, and wonder what is quick, vegan, and digestible that would work as a pre-workout snack??? I would obviously have a real breakfast post workout 🙂

9 Meghann September 17, 2009 at 10:35 am

Hi Sarah,

I usually have ½ a Z-bar or ¼ of a full Clif bar. Sometimes I will have a cookie or what ever else appeals to me in the morning. I don’t really need anything big, just enough to keep my hunger at bay during my run. 🙂

10 crgilvr September 17, 2009 at 9:47 am

This morning I put my Garmin on my iFit belt under my shirt because it was raining like heck. Today was my first day to try running to work and showering here and it worked great.

11 mags September 17, 2009 at 9:53 am

meghann,
what kind of bagels do you eat?

12 JHunt September 17, 2009 at 10:12 am

The colors of the fruit are so bright in that fruit salad it is jumping off my page! Yum! I have been thinking about getting my hubby a garmin, he also runs marathons. I’m glad to here you love it!
-Jessica @ http://howsweet.wordpress.com/

13 Kate September 17, 2009 at 10:12 am

So glad your Garmin is not dead forever! I can totally relate — I almost CAN’T run without my HRM. Maybe it’s because it pushes me to go faster, or reinforces the fact that I’m working as hard as I want to — whatever it is, it keeps my mind off the fact that I’m actually running (I used to HATE running).

14 eatolive September 17, 2009 at 10:26 am

hahah i always feel that way too when i get off anything like a trampoline or moon bounce (i may be 23 years old but i am not afraid to moon bounce!:)) or those moving walkway things they have at the airport…i always fee like im still on them even after i get off. weiiird.

15 Laurie September 17, 2009 at 10:43 am

I can TOTALLY relate about the Garmin. The same thing happened to me back in June — as I was headed to the starting line of the NYRR New York Mini 10K. I PANICKED (probably I wouldn’t have sweat it for a training run, but on RACE DAY!?! I was a wreck)!! Luckily I found some nice ladies who helped me figure out what to do, and my Garmin was fixed by the time I crossed the starting line!! Crisis averted 🙂

16 Sarah September 17, 2009 at 10:56 am

what kind of bagels do you buy?

17 Meghann September 17, 2009 at 11:06 am
18 Kristen September 17, 2009 at 11:01 am

You ARE a Garmin addict! Ha! I don’t have one myself, but I can see how one could easily become addicted.

Has anyone tried the Garmin 405? I’m thinking of joining the Garmin club and I like the smaller size of the 405, but I’ve heard mixed reviews, particularly on its hardware.

19 Meghann September 17, 2009 at 11:10 am

I’ve heard mix reviews on the 405 too. Of course the only postive ones I heard were from the Garmin guy at a booth before a race. I love my 305 and don’t really see any improvements to the 405. It is smaller, but honestly I never think of my 305 is big, in fact I wish it was larger so I could read the screen easier. lol

20 Samantha September 17, 2009 at 11:01 am

I don’t have a Garmin – yet – but I would not want to run without some way to track progress and such. Since I am just starting, I don’t really know much about tracking, pacing, all that stuff. your breakfast looks delish!!

21 Sheri September 17, 2009 at 11:09 am

Glad to hear your Garmin crisis was easily fixed! I have had my battery run out half way through my run…big bummer!

22 Matt September 17, 2009 at 11:21 am

I rely on my Garmin too much as well. Sometimes it feels good to leave it at home though ya know?

23 Susan September 17, 2009 at 11:25 am

Ha. every office should have trampoline room I think 😉

I purposely work out without my Polar from time to time to just go with the flow and not get caught up in numbers. It’s pretty freeing! 🙂

24 Lauren September 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I know how you feel about the Garmin. I love it and don’t know what I would do with out it!

25 DiningAndDishing September 17, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I remember I went to a dance once that was in a ballroom with a bouncy floor! Not bouncy like a tramploline but super fun nonetheless!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

26 Devan Newman September 17, 2009 at 12:17 pm

when i was a gymnast, we have a “bouncing” room. also a foam room, with bars, to practice our uneven bar routines!
SO much fun.
i miss gymnastics with every fibre of my being.
stupid eating disorder took that away from me.. 🙁

27 greensandjeans September 17, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Isn’t it amazing how fast we get sucked into statistics?! I had one of the old school forerunners and when it died I decided to wait for awhile to replace it because I was getting way too obsessed with the numbers! I’m thinking that it is time for me to get a replacement, but only if we can have a healthy relationship…

28 Evan Thomas September 17, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Lol that doesn’t sound like a garmin addiction, just a garmin love affair. I really like to know my distance/time, as well

29 Biz September 17, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I love Google! That is my go to whenever I need a question answered – glad it was a simple fix!

30 carolinebee September 17, 2009 at 1:18 pm

o no i’m glad u fixed it! U really don’t need more electronic drama in your life 😀

31 Tay September 17, 2009 at 2:01 pm

That once happened to my G-man too, and I freaked! I was scared he was broken 🙁 Sometimes we just need to get out there and just run for the heck of it – run as long as our body wants at any pace our body wants just to feel good. Not to go by numbers on a screen. But it’s hard to do that!

32 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now September 17, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I think the addiction is understandable 😉

33 Kate September 17, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I LOVE the 405 🙂

I try to have a garmin free day every couple of weeks or so- I agree with Tay. We need to remember to run for the pleasure of it and because it makes us feel good. I also often turn off the GPS, becuase the only data that actually matters most of the time is HR.

34 Jenna September 17, 2009 at 4:59 pm

haha i always feel so weird once i get off trampolines!
jenna