Let the Marathon Training Begin!

by Meghann on September 15, 2009

This week marks the official kick off for my marathon training schedule that will take me all the way to the Walt Disney Marathon on January 10, 2010.

The training schedule I have designed is a total of 16 weeks and consists of running 5 days a week with my mileage never tipping over 40 miles in a one week period. The plan incorporates a basis of speed training during the week with my long runs taking up the majority of my Sundays for the rest of the year.

Since I will be training during prime holiday and vacation time I had to adapt my schedule to work around those big days as well as my family’s ski trip that just happens to occur two weeks before marathon day.

Nothing is set in stone, so we’ll see how it goes.

Here’s the break out of mileage per day in my schedule.

(click the image to enlarge)

DisTrainMiles

And here’s the individual break out for the month of September.

septtrain

As you can see today’s plan was for tempo training. I believe every Tuesday will actually be tempo training with this plan. ;)

My schedule told me to

• 2 miles GP
  • 2 miles T
  • 1 miles GP

This breaks down for me:

• 2 miles at 9:45
  • 2 miles 9:05
  • 1 mile 9:45

My GP or Goal Pace for my marathon is 9:45 and with a goal of 9:45 my tempo miles need to be ran at 9:05.

Here were my stats:

• Mile 1:  9:58
  • Mile 2:  9:38
  • Mile 3:  8:55
  • Mile 4:  9:03
  • Mile 5:  9:32

My first miles are always slow thanks to crossing a major street and going through my gate. Besides that I think my first tempo run of my training schedule was a success. As the weeks progress my tempo runs will become longer and more intense. Is it weird that I can’t wait? :)

I know a lot of you were interested in my training progress so I will be sure to keep you up to date and be as informative as possible, but please keep in mind I created this schedule with my abilities and goals in mind. This is not a perfect training schedule and everyone is unique in what they need to achieve their goals.

During my run I had plenty of time to think up this rather interesting, but yummy combo for breakfast.

IMG_1850

The rather interesting set in this equation can be attributed to my Pumpkin Biscuit, Blackberry Jam and Egg White tower.

IMG_1852

The combination worked really well together. I ate it like a sandwich, all I was missing was the topper!

IMG_1855

With the unique sammy I had a bowl of fruit with some plain oikos and a couple spoonfuls of Chocolate is for Lovers granola.

IMG_1853

My fruit salad consisted of Apple, Plum, Grapes, Kiwi and Cantaloupe.

Foodbuzz Festival and Awards…

It’s official! I booked my flight yesterday! Come the first full weekend in November I will be San Francisco bound for the 1st Annual Foodbuzz Festival!

I am really excited because

1. Any festival that involves food and bloggers is going to be fun
  2. I have never been to San Francisco and am looking forward to seeing the sights
  3. I already know a ton of fellow bloggers who are also San Francisco bound and am busy setting up meet ups
  4. I have been watching the flight I wanted for the past two weeks and I saw it drop by $80 yesterday, so I got a really good deal! Eeekkk!!

Anyone else heading to the Foodbuzz Festival?!?!

Speaking of Foodbuzz…. yesterday they opened the nomination ballots for 2009 Food Blog Awards!

You don’t have to be a blogger or a Foodbuzz featured publisher to nominate your favorite blogs so head over to the site now to fill out a ballot of your own.

Not to be persuasive or anything BUT Inner Workings of a College Graduate IS a Healthy Living Blog AND there just happens to be a Healthy Living Blog category *wink *wink ;)

Also, there are some fun categories like Which blog you would like to be made into a movie? or Who would you like to cook dinner for you?

Go ahead, check it out! If anything its a fun way to kill 15 minutes in your day. :)

1 Emily September 15, 2009 at 9:23 am

I am going to the Festival too! I’m super excited :)

2 greensandjeans September 15, 2009 at 9:42 am

yay for training schedules! mine is much less high tech than yours (hand written on a giant piece of paper taped to my fridge) but I love checking each run off as I complete that day’s milage!

3 caitlin September 15, 2009 at 9:45 am

awesome start to training!!!!!!!!

4 Jess September 15, 2009 at 9:57 am

Have you considered running a few miles during your ski vacation? I know it’s during taper time, but running at altitude is awesome for training. I live a Mile High, so I already get that awesome advantage. When I run at sea level I could go for hours without even needing to catch my breath!

5 Meghann September 15, 2009 at 10:02 am

My family skis pretty intensely on vacation. As in we are there when the lifts open at 8:30am and ski until they close at 4:30. We hold the schedule for 5 days in a row of vacation! We are also renting a cabin in the mountains where I will not be familiar with the roads, not be accustomed to running colder weather and it will be dark before we leave and after. :( I’ve thought long and hard about it an dI really don’t see running on this vacation as plausible. *sniff*sniff

6 Whit September 15, 2009 at 10:00 am

I totes nominated you in a few categories, don’t you worry!

Your training plan looks awesome! I am much impressed by all the speedwork you have fit in there. I am just focusing on distance with my plan, as the goal is just to cross the finish line this time!

7 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 15, 2009 at 10:08 am

Um, you are awesome. I hope to one day be a lean, mean training machine just like you. ;)

8 Jessica September 15, 2009 at 10:08 am

Isn’t booking travel so fun? I just booked my flight to SF for the Foodbuzz Festival as well. Flights during this weekend were super cheap. Hope to see you there… want to arrange a meet-up? Feel free to email me at afeteforfood@gmail.com

I’ll be sure to vote for your Healthy Living Blog!

Best of luck on your marathon training!

9 Jess September 15, 2009 at 10:11 am

My high school cross country coach has us run 60 miles the first week of training (for 5ks!!). We did double sessions meaning 5 miles in the morning and 5 again in the afternoon for 6 days straight. He was a nutcase and I now can’t run at all due to knee problems. Anyway, what I’m saying is your plan looks great and I’m glad you’re sticking to a max of 40 miles a week. Best of luck!

10 runeatrepeat September 15, 2009 at 10:11 am

Excited about training too!

11 Evan Thomas September 15, 2009 at 10:16 am

You seem so on top of the Marathon training, I’m sure that’ll make you all the better when it comes around

12 Kristen @ Simply Savor September 15, 2009 at 10:22 am

yum would never think the egg and jelly combo would work but it looks great–will have to try this out next time! and thanks for showing us your training schedule…im a newbie at running so i love coming to your blog to learn new things about training :) have a great day!

13 BethT September 15, 2009 at 10:27 am

I live here in SF and hope you’ll have time for a reader meetup! Let me know if you want any food/sightseeing tips…I love my city :)

14 thedallasceliac September 15, 2009 at 10:28 am

I’m also going to the Foodbuzz festival. I can’t wait!

The egg white, jam, and pumpkin biscuit looks like a really interesting combo. I like egg whites dipped in syrup, so I bet I would like them with jam.

15 brandi September 15, 2009 at 10:34 am

that’s great that you’re so exciting about your training! It’s nice having it all written down :)

great breakfast! those pumpkin biscuits sound better and better everytime I see it.

16 Kelly September 15, 2009 at 10:35 am

Haha nice post title.

17 Niki September 15, 2009 at 10:44 am

Great run this morning! Looking forward to hearing more about your training!!

18 dee (the apple hill adventurer) September 15, 2009 at 10:47 am

i totally think about food combos while i run too
and play scenarios of how i will meet and fall in love with some random guy lol …

food and love … always on my mind (in that order :p)

19 biz319 September 15, 2009 at 10:50 am

Great way to start the training! I’ve never been to California before, let alone San Francisco! I am sure you’ll have a great time! :D

I’ll vote for you! :D

20 ksgoodeats September 15, 2009 at 11:00 am

I’m glad that you’re excited to start training!! That’s a good thing, not weird at all since you love running so much :)

I love the biscuit combination!

21 Susan September 15, 2009 at 11:50 am

I cannot imagine hammering out a marathon training schedule, it would take so much work! I agree, it’s totally got to be suited to your specific needs. I think it’s important to have a little wiggle room in there too. Besides you’re an old pro at marathons by now ;)

22 Nicci@NiftyEats September 15, 2009 at 11:52 am

Good LUCK with your training. I have already voted for my fav bloggers…. I recall this great blog about ”Inner Workings” ;-)

23 Katerina September 15, 2009 at 11:57 am

I totally get being excited for long Tempo Runs! I link tempo and speed intervals. They are harder, and you have to concentrate more to hit pace. Its kinda like a game really. So exciting that today is Day1 of marathon training!

24 Taysa September 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I’m going! I just started my blog, but when I saw the information for the FoodBuzz Festival, I knew I had to go. (I live in SF, which makes it easier.) :)

25 Mellissa September 15, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I am going too! We all definitely need to meet up during the event. Anyone need a roommate to help cut down the cost?

26 Melissa September 15, 2009 at 12:40 pm

good luck on your second round of thon training!

27 Quinn September 15, 2009 at 12:45 pm

I’m going too! I’m rooming with Allison of GreenDogWine, Janetha of Meals & Moves and Ashley of DailyGoods. When do you get in? Allison and I get in Thursday night. We should all definitely link up!!!

28 Steph September 15, 2009 at 12:53 pm

You make me miss running :( I always loved getting my training plan all set up!
Your breakfast is very creative. You’re always so good at finding interesting combinations that go well together!!

29 foodieinthecity September 15, 2009 at 12:59 pm

That festival sounds like so much fun, I can’t wait to check out the links! Unfortunetly, I’m not going :( But I can’t wait to hear all about it!

I love how creative you get with your foods. I need to be more adventerous I think.

Have a wonderfuld day!

30 Alison September 15, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Good luck with your marathon training, Meghann! I’ve never posted here before, but I just wanted to jump in and say that I truly enjoy reading your blog. My husband is training for the Marine Corps marathon and like you, his long runs are reserved for Sundays. With a crazy summer schedule, he had to run on vacation and in some unfamiliar locations. Even if you can’t run during your ski vacation, you’ll get a fabulous workout anyway.

31 Matt September 15, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Good luck with training!

32 Jenna September 15, 2009 at 1:49 pm

i cant wait to go over and vote :)
jenna
that egg white tower sandich looks so yummy!

33 Jess September 15, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Thought you might be interested in this article. Eddie Izzard (actor) ran 43 marathons in 7 weeks! Could you imagine??

34 Hallie September 15, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Congrats on starting your training! I start my 10k training today….which I might end up turning into a 1/2 marathon training if I can hack it…I made up a good schedule (for me) to get me to the half, but I’m not sure at this point I can do it (I’m like, a 3 miles, 1-2x a week kinda gal but that changes starting today!).

35 angieinatlanta September 15, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I totally nominated you!!

And your training plan looks great; I can’t wait to hear how you progress!

36 ~carolyn~ September 15, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I am not sure if they told you (foodbuzz) but the best kept secret about San Francisco is the weather in the fall months…the. Best Ever! You will have a great time there is so much to see and EAT and I think it is the best City ever to run in! I will be running all those hills in the Nike 1/2 marathon next month! have fun

37 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 15, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I’m going to the foodbuzz festival too! Glad to hear you are going, maybe I’ll get to meet you!

38 Jeri September 16, 2009 at 10:01 am

I’m excited to watch(=read about) your training! I’m planning on doing Disney World in 2011. Should be an awesome time. :)