Dried Fruit Samples Galore

by Meghann on September 15, 2009

The other week I was very depressed when I finished off the last of my samples of Mariani Dried Apricots from the Healthy Living Summit. Lucky for me, someone from Mariani heard my plea and offered to send me a few more sample packs of the Apricots as well as samples of their various other products.

IMG_1866

I think it’s save to say I am not stocked on convenient on the go packets of dried fruit.

For my snack today I decided to sample the Dried Plum sample.

IMG_1858

I’ve never had dried plums of runes before. This was a first for me.

IMG_1859

These babies were very juicy and very flavorful, just like the apricots but a different color. I enjoyed this and can not wait to make my way through the rest.

Thanks Mariani!

Lunch today was awesome thanks to the wonderful left over roasted vegetables from last night.

IMG_1868

I started with a Whole Wheat Tortilla,

IMG_1860

Then topped it with some Marinara sauce.

IMG_1862

I was getting a lot of questions about the Newman’s Own brand of sauce. Honestly it was BOGO free at Publix this week, which is why I bought it. I’m not too picky when it comes to tomato sauce, so I usually buy what ever is on sale.

IMG_1861

The Newman’s Own Tomato & Basil really is a great sauce though and next time it’s BOGO I will happily purchase more.

After the marinara sauce comes the toppings.

IMG_1864

I kept it simple with Kale, Tempeh, Roasted Veggies, Feta Cheese and a sprinkle of ground Flax seed for good measure.

Under the broiler for 5 minutes.

IMG_1870

Perfect Tortilla Pizza.

IMG_1872

On the side I had the last of my Daikon and Radish Salad with some beautiful Cherry Tomatoes.

IMG_1869

Official 5k Statistics and Photos….

Yesterday I received an e-mail from the fine people at Track Shack with an official breakdown of my placings and time from my 5k on Saturday.

Personal Race Statistics
for
Autumn Rock n Run 5k
Saturday, September 12, 2009

You placed 249 out of 1626 runners.

Age Group WOMEN — 19 THROUGH 24 you placed: 5 out of 71 runners.
Clock Time – 24:05 Chip Time – 23:54
Chip time = The exact time it takes to get from the start line to the finish line.
Clock time = The time it takes to get to the finish line from the sound of the air horn.
Your pace was 7:41.4 per mile.
OVERALL MALE WINNER – LEE STEPHENS – 15:56
OVERALL FEMALE WINNER – KATY RADKEWICH – 17:51

Not Bad, Not Bad.

I have to say I am rather proud about placing 5th in my division. 🙂

A couple people asked me for the break down of my miles, so here they courtesy of Mr. Garmin.

• Mile 1:  7:10
  • Mile 2:  7:43
  • Mile 3:  8:08
  • .1 nubbin:  0:53.61
  • Total: 23:44

And for fun more statistics. Can you tell I love statistics?!?!

• Avg Heart Rate:  171
  • Max Heart Rate:  189
  • Total Calories Burned:  308

I was also sent my official race photos.

5kRnRFinish

I have yet to have an official race photo taken of me that I actually like. The shot is never my best angle. 🙁

5kRnRFinish2

Derek had some
pretty good shots though.

DerekRnR5k

DerekRnR5k2

Over the weekend I also received this e-mail from Meg over at Megzz Wins at Life who I’ve featured on the blog in the past. She ran a killer race of her own this past weekend and I wanted to share.

Hey Meghann,
I wrote to you a while ago about my first 5K and how you inspired me and you featured me on your blog
here. Well I just wanted to let you know I ran my second one today and had such a blast and even signed up for the Disney 1/2 in March.. As always thanks for being so inspiring. 🙂 I linked your original post back to my blog today if you want to check it out.  Great job on your PR this weekend.

Congrats Meg!!!!

Did you run a race this weekend too? How did you do?

1 Jenna September 15, 2009 at 1:44 pm

yummy pizza! congrats on the run again!
jenna

2 foodieinthecity September 15, 2009 at 1:44 pm

You look like you are kicking some booty in the race photo!

You definitely are in dried fruit heaven! My favorite dried fruits are mango and strawberries. I could eat bags of them 🙂

Have a wonderful afternoon!

3 Allison September 15, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I ran a race not this past weekend, but the weekend before. It was my first 5k in over a year! I ran a 23:19 and got first in my age group (20-14). Not bad since I’ve only been seriously running since February! I can’t wait to sign up for another race! I really want to get under 23 minutes! Good job in your race though, that’s a great time!

4 Allison September 15, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I mean 20-24, not 20-14! Oops!

5 Jamie in Arkansas September 15, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Hi Meghann!
I ran a 5K this weekend. It was not timed, it was purely a fun run to raise money for our new county library! I had so much fun – I ran the course twice and gave them another $25 toward their fundraising efforts! I’ll be doing the same thing this Saturday for one of the local schools. That way I get in more mileage too! 🙂 Everybody wins! 🙂

6 Jessica September 15, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I swear, photographers have it out for me during races! I always look like I am in excruciating pain. 🙂

I ran a 1/2 marathon last weekend! My first, and it felt great. Reading your blog has definitely been inspiring and helpful when I feel I might be losing momentum.

Thanks!

7 clubveg September 15, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Congrats on your stats! haha. You look so relieved at the finish line!

Tortilla pizza confirms that I’m having roasted brussels for dinner…

8 Jessica September 15, 2009 at 2:00 pm

That pizza looks soooo good! I love roasted veggies!

9 MegaNerd September 15, 2009 at 2:04 pm

0.1 nubbin’ made me LOL.

that was a hard 0.1!!!

10 Stephanie September 15, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I love that the dried fruit companies like to call prunes “dried plums.” Doesn’t change the taste, but seems to increase sales. 🙂 LOL I love them too!

And, I love those Mariani bars that they sent you – I find them totally filling (can’t eat a whole one for a snack), and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sesame flavor (doesn’t Sesame make everything better)… Enjoy!

11 Whit September 15, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Oh Megan is so adorable! I love her. Congrats on your race statistics, good job!

12 brandi September 15, 2009 at 2:27 pm

yum, I love dried fruit! I don’t think I’ve ever tried that brand before.

congrats again on the race!

I didn’t have one this weekend, but I have one in a few weeks!

13 megzzwinsatlife September 15, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Thanks Meghann!! 🙂

14 Julie September 15, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I did! I ran my sister 1st 5k with her, it was my second. She did awesome for a first time casula runner, she came in at 43:45 finishing 454th out of 472. I was very proud of her!! I on the other hand, surprised the sh*t out of myself. My old PR was 25:25, this past weekend I blew it out of the water with a time of 23:36! I came in 64th out of 472 and placed 3rd in my age group! I almost DIED at the finish line. My legs are still a bit sore but I don’t regret a second of it! We’re doing another one in 2 weeks, then I’m going to do another a week after. I’m contimplating a 10k next month, but I’m not sure if 4 weeks is enough time to train. Plus the race starts at noon time, and that’s kind of weird.

I like how your pics came out! I hope you order Derek’s so he will always have a reminder of his fist race and how well he did!

15 Nicole September 15, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Congrats on your race!!! We will have to get together next time i’m in Florida for a run!!! I might be about your pace!

I ran a half marathon this weekend and I PR’ed by 8 minutes!!! 1:50!! I’m totally excited at this because I’ve only been running 2-3 times a week b/c of my tri training. This just goes to show that speedwork and crosstraining works!!

16 Deb September 15, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Congrats on your finish!!! You are an inspiration to all of us, keep it up.

I love the Mariani prunes, but watch out, don’t eat too many, they can have a laxative effect. LOL!!!!

17 Breanne September 15, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Hey! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and I love it. I actually just started a blog today because I’m trying to make my lifestyle healthier! I would love for you to check it out and tell me what you think if you get a chance! Thanks again and keep up the good work!

18 Leianna September 15, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I didn’t run one this past weekend, but I have 2 coming up on Oct. 3 and Oct. 17. So excited to get a new PR!

19 courtlove111 September 15, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I think your pics turned out great!! Good action shots!

I did a 5 miler Freedom Run for 9/11 rememberance on Saturday.

I beat my previous time doing this same course by 3 minutes! Pretty happy about that. And my running partner who just started running to train for this event and is 59 took first in her age group!!!

You can check out the details on my blog.

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

20 Hallie September 15, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Uh no race for me, haha, but I wanted to say that I am a big fan of the Newman pasta sauce. I don’t buy it anymore (since we buy what’s cheap at Costco and my BF learned how to make homemade sauce and it’s amazing) but I used to get a variety with roasted red peppers that was SO good.

21 Matt September 15, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Nice job on the 5k!

No racing for me until Chicago next month!

22 Lora September 15, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I ran my first hlf marathon on Sunday and got 2:09:30! Pretty good considering the only long run I did was 11.5, two weeks before my race !

I know now I will be trainig better for my 15k in November!

Xoxo
lo

23 RunToTheFinish September 15, 2009 at 4:53 pm

way to rock it!! I never like my race photos either, seriously how do people get such good ones?

24 lilveggiepatch September 15, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I love those pictures of you and Derek! I think they’re VERY flattering, and very inspiring.

I ran a race this weekend, too… my first 5K! I came out at 27:40… I was very proud.

25 Rose September 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Cool race photos! You guys look great.

26 ALD September 15, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I ran one on Sunday!

It was so humid – its been raining here for days, and the sun finally came out – so the course was steaming, literally! But it was a great race – took 2 minutes off my time from my last 5K, ran with great friends and went out for a fun breakfast after – a win all around!

27 Susan September 15, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Why yes, I DID run a race this weekend! 😉 It was a charity event so not “official.” I did however PR, beating my previous 5k time of 27:13 with 26:49!!! 😀 I’m doing a 10k next weekend which I’m a little more nervous for.

Ha, “dried plums” sound so much more appetizing than “prunes.” I love ’em though. They have a wonderfully soft texture.

28 Michaela September 15, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I ran the Chicago 1/2 this past weekend. I ran it in 1:52 something..slower than my first one but it was a HUGE race and pretty hot.

29 Steph September 15, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Look at all those yummy veggies in your lunch!

I love dried plums, but I think they are one of those things that you shouldn’t eat too many of or else you’ll be running to the bathroom 🙂

30 Lauren September 15, 2009 at 5:54 pm

You did a great job in the 5K! Your stats are fantastic.

I didn’t run a race this weekend, but I’m running a 1/2 this Sunday, and have my marathon in November. In between that, I have a 5K and a 10K. Starting to get a little nervous…

I <3 dried plums. Glad you liked them!

31 Kristin September 15, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Yum, I love dried plums! None of my race pictures are good either… I always look SO serious!! hehe

xo
K

32 Spotty Prep September 15, 2009 at 6:19 pm

I also took advantage of the bogo Paul Newman’s! I think it’s good for what it is.

I didn’t run in a race this past weekend, but the one before. It was my first one and it was a lot of fun :)I was nervous but it was worth it! I can’t wait for the next one and to see my progress!

33 helen September 15, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I ran my first race this weekend! It was a 5k that I decided to do at the last moment. I running a half in November and I didn’t want that to be my first race. I came in 33:11 for my time, which I was so proud of, haha!

34 Lauren September 15, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Meghann,
You are so inspiring. You keep me pushing with my running. I love your pizza…looks yummy. I tried your creation today of the almond butter and nectarines. So yummy! I love your creative thinking! Keep it coming!

35 Joanna September 15, 2009 at 8:25 pm

I ran my FIRST HALF MARATHON this Sunday!! Finished in 2:48:32 and have officially become addicted to running!

Was hoping to make the Disney half in January my second one because I’ll be there watching my boyfriend complete the Goofy Challenge, but it’s sold out!! See you there!!

Thank you for all your blogs. You’re food ideas always sound so awesome and I had hoped to reach your passion for running one day~ now I’m finally there!

And Go Noles!

36 angieinatlanta September 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm

You kick butt, lady!

And I love roasted veggies – great idea to make extra for lunches!

37 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 15, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Yummy pizza and really the picture isn’t bad! Congrats on placing 5th!

38 Amy September 15, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I like Paul Newman’s Sockarooni.

My favorite recipe for butternut squash is also a pizza. Roast the squash, some red peppers, eggplant, and red onion with some balsamic vinegar, EVOO, and rosemary. Put on whole wheat crust, no sauce needed, add a little feta, and presto. Similar to yours, but the balsamic really makes the flavors pop!

No races for me until Ocotber when I’m running the 20K runportion of a triathlon relay. Woohoo! Izena here I come!

39 Lauren September 15, 2009 at 8:53 pm

A Thousand Congrats to you on such a commendable race!!!!! Wow, that’s so amazing Meghann! 🙂

I did run a race this weekend…my first 1/2 marathon. Oh wow, was it ever unbeleiveable. I was so proud of my time too, 1:56:52 and finished 12th in my age group (out of 96).

Keep running hard. I don’t think you realize how unebeliveably inspiring you are to so many…including me! 🙂

40 meg September 15, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Awesome run stats! My next run isn’t until Oct, but I am ready!

Love the eats!

41 verbalriot September 15, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Awesome job Meghann! I’m running my first 5K this October and I CAN’T WAIT!

42 Jeri September 16, 2009 at 10:33 am

I ran my 5th 1/2 this weekend and took 13 minutes off my PR, finally breaking 2 hours. WHOO! 🙂 Great job on your 5th place finish. 😀

43 Jess September 16, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I like your picture, it looks like you are flying….and from your new PR we know you were!