more ยป" />

Soy Sausage Redeems Itself Again

by Meghann on September 14, 2009

I was a busy bee on the computer this morning.

I usually work for an hour or so and take a break to make my morning cup of tea around 9:00. This morning I was in such a groove that I kept pushing back my tea time and didnโ€™t even glance at the clock until 10:30! I love it when mornings are like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

So, this morning instead of drinking my tea and then having my midmorning snack I had both at the same time. My tummy was feeling empty and I knew I needed some food.

IMG_1797

This is a bag of pretzels that I received on a flight a while back. I wasnโ€™t hungry for them at the time, so I saved them for a later date. I saw them in my snack drawer this morning and decided why not.

IMG_1798

The combination of tea and pretzels instantly filled my stomach up. I felt like I had eaten an entire meal! I have never realized how filling pretzels are when combined with a cup of tea. Thatโ€™s good to know for future reference. ๐Ÿ™‚

Eventually my stomach depleted itself again and I was ready for my tasty lunch a little later then usual.

IMG_1803

Last week I tested out the Gimme Lean Soy Sausage for the first time and was not impressed on how it tasted on its own. It was sort of off and I ended up feeding one of my two patties to Maddie.

Since then I have used the Soy Sausage as a pizza topper, an omelet filler and today it was the star of my pita along with some kale and feta.

IMG_1807

(Check out Maddie in the background taking advantage of my momentary moment of distraction and heading for the kill)

I pressed my pita on the george foreman, until everything was heated through and I have to say it was really good.

So, now I am afraid I have to take away my original review of the soy sausage or I should say simply add on to it. I would not eat this stuff in patty form again, but as an additional filler or topper with other yummy things, its really not half bad. ๐Ÿ™‚

With my pita I had some of my left over Radish and Carrot Salad with a few Cherry Tomatoes on top.

IMG_1808

I think this salad was even better after sitting in the fridge overnight. Yum!

Maddie Updateโ€ฆ

A few of you were asking how my post-op puppy was doing. Well, I am happy to say she is healing like a champ.

IMG_1809

I took the cone off of her last week and watched her like a hawk to make sure she did not lick or pick at her scar. It was amazing how quickly her energy returned once the cone was gone. I havenโ€™t noticed her picking at her stitches. She also doesnโ€™t seem to care that she just has surgery a week ago, all she wants to do is play.

IMG_1824

She is still sore though, and has not been jumping on or off the furniture as she  previously had (which is a good thing!). Iโ€™m thrilled to see the progress in recovery she has made in such a short period of time. My heart couldnโ€™t stand to see her so miserable before.

IMG_1814

Unfortunately, I am still dealing with a few training issues with my baby. She isnโ€™t grasping the concept of potty training and she tends to be deathly scared of men. She is fine with Derek once heโ€™s in the room, but if he leaves and returns she starts barking and runs right into my lap. She doesnโ€™t try to attack them, but Iโ€™m afraid it might lead to that.

With that in mind I have signed Maddie up for puppy training classes that will begin this Thursday at our local PetSmart. I never did puppy classes with Abbie, so I am interested to see how they go. Donโ€™t worry I will be sure to keep everyone up to date with her progress. I am sure there will be plenty of stories to share through this new experience. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.Sโ€ฆ.

I couldnโ€™t resist showing off the new dress Iโ€™m so excited to be wearing today.

Please excuse the funny face. I was getting frustrated with the lack of light and my camera. lol

IMG_1826

It was $15 at Old Navy yesterday. They had it in several colors and its really comfy! ๐Ÿ™‚

P.P.S.Sโ€ฆ

My name is Meghann and I am a Race-a-holic.

I may or may not have signed up for another 5k this weekend. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 VeggieGirl September 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm

CUTE dress!!

Haha good luck with that 5K – glad you signed up! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 VeggieGirl September 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm

P.S. – I’m praying for little Maddie!! Hope she feels 100% better and that the training classes help.

3 Samantha September 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm

That dress is rockin!!!! Very jealous!

4 Hallie September 14, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I love pretzels so much…they’re kind of a “trigger food” for me though so most of the time I need to stay away. Can’t wait to hear more about puppy training…sometimes I think I need to try harder to train my dog, but then again she’s almost 3 so I wonder if it’s too late. She’s pretty good but I feel has been acting up more lately.

5 Nicci@NiftyEats September 14, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Meghann, is Maddie on a schedule for potty time? ealry morning afternoon and night? A schedule helps, that’s how I trained my dog.

6 Meghann September 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I’m trying to put her on a schedule, but it’s kind of hard when she has no problem doing her business in her crate. I’ve made the crate space smaller & I’ve got rid of the pillow, but it doesn’t seem to help. I’m also timing how long I keep her water down and watch her like a hawk when she even starts to look like she’s going to potty, but she still finds a way to disappear and do her business. Its like she is waiting for me to take something out of the oven or put a dish in the sink to make her move. ๐Ÿ™

7 Pam September 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Good luck with the puppy training! It can be so hard!

I may have to go pick up one of those dresses! Super cute!

8 jessica September 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm

old navy?? seriously?? that’s awesome!!

9 Leah September 14, 2009 at 2:25 pm

SUPER cute dress!!!!!!!

10 Whit September 14, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Cute dress! I may or may not find my way to an Old Navy and pick one of those up!

Good luck with Maddie’s training as well as your race addiction. ๐Ÿ˜€

11 christina September 14, 2009 at 2:26 pm

i love your dress!!

12 Bec September 14, 2009 at 2:27 pm

love the dress, its super cute!

13 Matt September 14, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Glad Maddie is doing better but sorry about the potty training. I think it is just something that takes time. She has to figure it out sometime right?

14 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 14, 2009 at 2:31 pm

LOVE that dress! Maybe I should go buy that dress in a vote of self-confidence that I’ll have a job that I can wear it to soon? ๐Ÿ™‚

lol and you are a race-a-holic. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 ashley September 14, 2009 at 2:31 pm

We recently got a new puppy who is now 13 weeks and we have him in puppy classes at our local petsmart. I would definitely recommend them, so its great you have her signed up! it will help socialize your new puppy to other dogs and people. Our vet suggested we expose our puppy to everything we possibly can, especially the things that freak him out–before 6 months of age, because at that point they are similar to an 18 year old adult. Just some tips from a frequent reader/new puppy owner ๐Ÿ™‚

16 lilybeans September 14, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Super cute dress!

Glad Maddie is doing better. I hope the puppy classes work out!

17 Elena September 14, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Love the dress…I ordered it in that exact color last week and it didn’t look great on me. Might try another size before I give up!

18 Elena September 14, 2009 at 2:34 pm

(And P.S. My boyfriend’s now almost 5-month-old puppy is in the classes at PetSmart and they seem to be going well! She’s still a bit crazy/bitey with teething, but the commands are definitely working)

19 Jaime September 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Freaking LOVE the dress.

*runs off to Old Navy*

๐Ÿ™‚

20 Brandi September 14, 2009 at 2:42 pm

ooh, i love the dress!

glad to hear that Maddie is doing well ๐Ÿ™‚

21 stacey September 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm

My dog has a fear of men, as well. We adopted him about a year and half ago, and he is getting better as time goes on, but it can be difficult when he is around people who don’t understand how to react to him. I find that people often want to reason with him to get him to like them. They look him in the eye and tell him not to be worried. Unfortunately, he is a dog and he does not understand complete sentences so that just gets him more fired up. The best thing for him is when someone ignores him and lets him sniff them out. Then he can decide that his envornment is safe. I do get worried when he is around kids because his bark tends to sound the same when he wants attention as it does when he does not want attention.

Funny story similar to what happened to Derek with Maddie this weekend… My parent’s watched our dogs when my husband and I went on vacation last year. We dropped the dogs off and Nikfin (the one with the fear of men) was fine. No issues with my step dad. He even followed him around and slept pressed up next to him the first night that they watched him. But, the next morning when he woke up, he was barking at my step dad like he had no idea who he was. My mom said that this went on for the first 2 days. They were the best of buddies all day and then the next morning they had to start over again. My mom said that it reminded her of the movie 50 First Dates.

Good luck with the puppy classes:)

22 AshleyP September 14, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I almost got that dress this weekend! It looks better on you though.

Maddie is so sweet! Love the puppy pictures ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Angela (Run Study Eat) September 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm

so cute!

24 Emily @ My Chubby Confessions September 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Ok. I’m loving the dress!!

25 allijag September 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Yay! Glad Maddie is doing better – she’ll totally catch on to the rest of that training stuff! No worries! ๐Ÿ™‚

LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT DRESS! $15? Yeah – i am stopping on my way home from work! ๐Ÿ™‚

26 clubveg September 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm

The pita looks goood! I find that if I think of a product [tofu, gimmielean, etc] as itself rather than a version of something else then I like it a lot better. Because seriously, I don’t think tofu tastes anything like chicken – but I still enjoy it in and of itself.

So glad Maddie is healing well! We took Chester to puppy training at PetSmart when he was a puppy and it was really good. We have the CUTEST picture of him with a little graduate outfit on, it’s hilarious. You have to really keep up with everything they teach you, though. Good luck!

27 Deb September 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for the Maddie update. Just keep working on the potty training. She will eventually get it. Puppy classes a good idea, will help to socialize her as much as possible.

Love the dress. Hair looks good also. Have a Great Day!

28 amanda @ fake ginger September 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm

That dress is so cute!

29 Jillian September 14, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I’m going to head to Old Navy TODAY! That dress is so adorable.

30 rhodeygirltests September 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm

super cute dress and even more amazing sale!

31 Anne Marie@ Her New Weigh September 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Glad Maddie is feeling better. LOVE the dress!

32 Emily September 14, 2009 at 3:36 pm

That dress is gorgous, I love that style! Thanks for saying where you got it, I’m going shopping this weekend acutally and I usually skip Old Navy.

33 cookinfanatic September 14, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Uber cute dress! Umm I MAY or may not be going to Old Navy this week hahaha ๐Ÿ˜‰

34 sama September 14, 2009 at 3:40 pm

i got the same dress in black AND brown this weekend….i love it!!! and maddie= ADORABLE!

35 sama September 14, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I got the same dress in black AND brown this weekend haha! love it! and maddie= ADORABLE!

36 runnerskitchen September 14, 2009 at 3:44 pm

I used to love making sausage pita pizza, but since I’m currently on a vegetarian challenge, I’ll have to try the soy variety! Good luck with the puppy training ๐Ÿ™‚

37 Katie Davis September 14, 2009 at 4:00 pm

cute dress! I actually looked at that same one online yesterday, but had to say no because if the husband sees one more dress in the closet, he may evict me ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Kate September 14, 2009 at 4:35 pm

That dress is hot!

39 Chloe September 14, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Super cute dress! It’s very flattering on you, I just might have to see if my Old Navy carries some.

Good luck with Maddie, I’m sure eventually a light bulb will go off and she’ll grasp the concept of peeing outside.

40 Sara September 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Cute dress! I’m glad to hear that Maddie is doing well. Have fun with training class. We were going to take our dog to it, but luckily he picked up on the basics pretty quickly. He now thinks he can sleep on the bed with us though…so we might need a special training class for that.

41 ksgoodeats September 14, 2009 at 5:40 pm

I love the dress – it looks great on you! Old Navy has some really good deals!

42 Pamela September 14, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I LOVE that dress! It’s quite lovely.

43 Derek September 14, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Old Navy should def. send you gift cards or something in return for all this free marketing.

Dress looks great! ๐Ÿ™‚

44 Lizzy September 14, 2009 at 6:30 pm

LOVE this dress sooo very much!!!!

I hope maddie does wonderful at puppie classes. i bet you she’ll love all the other puppies too! ๐Ÿ™‚

45 angieinatlanta September 14, 2009 at 7:25 pm

LOVE that dress! Adorable! And so flattering!

Thanks for the soy sausage recommendation; I’m trying to eliminate meat from my diet but I love sausage! TWSS!

46 thedallasceliac September 14, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Dress is so cute. Wish I could wear something like that to work!

Now kale + feta sounds really good…

47 Alicia September 14, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Great dress, Meghann. It looks awesome on you. ๐Ÿ™‚

48 wholesomefoodie September 14, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Glad Maggie is doing better. That dress is hot!

49 Tay September 14, 2009 at 9:04 pm

CUTE!! I might just have to hit up my Old Navy tomorrow to check it out ๐Ÿ˜‰

50 Jess September 14, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Very cute dress! I almost went to Old Navy on Saturday and now I really wish I had….enjoy your week!

51 Allison September 14, 2009 at 9:12 pm

That dress is TOO cute!!! Definitely may or may not be driving to Old Navy tomorrow just for this reason now haha… love it! ๐Ÿ™‚

52 Bobbi September 14, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Ok too funny I bought that dress for a wedding I am off to this weekend! Lol love it!

53 Jenna September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm

glad to hear maddie is doing well.
i love how you give foods you don’t like the first time a second chance, and then you fin you like them!
i absolutely LOVE your dress from ON, it makes me want to go buy one this week!
jenna
you are crazy girl for signing up for another race girl, but i know you will do well ๐Ÿ™‚

54 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm

that dress is awesome!

55 Katie September 14, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Super cute dress! I’m totally hitting up old navy on my lunch break now ๐Ÿ™‚

56 Hangry Pants September 15, 2009 at 6:49 am

LOve the dress cutie! Miss you. xo

57 Lauren September 15, 2009 at 7:18 am

I agree with your review of soy sausage. I can’t stand it in patty form, but I do really like it as a topping, especially with marinara. Your sandwich looked very yummy, too!

Good luck with the puppy training classes. I think Maddie will learn a lot from them. We enrolled our puppy in dog obedience classes about three weeks ago, and already he has made tremendous progress in the housebreaking, heeling, and mouthing categories. I think dog training is really valuable!