more ยป" />

A New Marinutta Sauce Lover

by Meghann on September 14, 2009

I believe it’s officially fall when all my favorite fall/ winter squash go on sale at Publix. ๐Ÿ™‚

As soon as I saw 79 cents a pound I couldn’t resist picking up one of each! I came home with Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash and Spaghetti Squash. Now all I need is come cooler weather to truly enjoy these. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course I do live in Florida and who can stand to wait for the cooler weather to make an appearance any time soon? Not me. The butternut squash was already on the menu for dinner tonight.

Yum! Butternut Squash is gooooood.

Tonight’s dinner was a Heather Eats Almond Butter inspired meal thanks to her unique Marinutta Sauce.

I’ve seen Heather and her hubby, CD, gobble up the marinara, nut butter and flax seed combo by the gallon on her blog. Not being one to shy away from fun combinations, I finally got the guts to recreate it tonight.

I combined about 1/2 cup of marinara sauce with a spoonful of flax seed, a spoonful of almond butter and the last of my soy sausage . I then placed the marinutta in the microwave for 1 minute.

After licking the mixing spoon, I could already tell this was a winner. ๐Ÿ™‚

While I was experimenting with the marinutta sauce 1/2 the Butternut Squash, Brussel Sprouts, Baby Portobellos, and 1/2 an Onion was roasting in the oven.

The finish product with a little Feta Cheese sprinkled on top.

Can’t forget the addition of the Pumpkin Biscuit.

This was great!! ๐Ÿ™‚

The marinutta sauce was a tad on the sweet side and really enhanced the flavors of the roasted veggies. This has only confirmed what I already knew to be true – Almond Butter goes with anything!!

For dessert I retrieved a Reeses Egg from my chocolate stash.

And this afternoon I snacked on some Dried Mango.

Now, please take my word, don’t be afraid to try interesting recipes. If a person says its good in a blog then more then likely it will be! I challenge you to make your own marinutta sauce at home. Don’t be scurrrred. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 caronae September 14, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I would try the sauce if I liked tomatoes, lol! I’m having butternut squash with my dinner tonight too. It’s in the oven and I really want to eat it right now!

2 Bec September 14, 2009 at 7:54 pm

mmm what a delicious meal idea, I’ll have to try that sauce!

3 thedallasceliac September 14, 2009 at 7:56 pm

How you have managed to have those reeses in your fridge without eating them all since Easter, I have no idea. You should package that willpower and sell it ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Lizzy September 14, 2009 at 7:58 pm

holy yum!

I’m anxious to try Newmans Own sauce! looks amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Jen September 14, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I don’t know. The idea of tomato sauce and nut butter does not appeal to me at all!

6 Katey September 14, 2009 at 8:01 pm

That is such a brilliant idea!!! I think I might just have to try it! ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Lauren September 14, 2009 at 8:02 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. I find the best inpsiration behind some of the best recipes in the world through my fellow bloggers. We all seem to be on the same foodie level, it’s great!

I was just thinking of what I can do with a rather large BN squash I have. Thanks for the ideas! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 angieinatlanta September 14, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I adore squashes too! I’m so glad they’re back!

Kudos to you and your fearless attitude towards food! I may have to give this a try, even though I’m a bit scared of the combination.

9 Julie @savvyeats September 14, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I would have never thought to put nut butter in my tomato sauce! I love peanut sauce on Thai food, etc, so I’ll have to try the almond/tomato combination!

10 Steph September 14, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Hahaha I can’t help but laugh at this post. I used to read your blog and get inspired by your creative combinations. But now that I am pregnant, just looking at your photos is making me nauseous! =/
It’s so strange!

11 Susan September 14, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Oooh, I LOVE almond butter on butternut squash, so the idea of adding some marinara to the combo doesn’t scare me THAT much.

Bahaha, I just read Steph’s comment. Perhaps marinutta is not for everyone ๐Ÿ˜›

12 Tay September 14, 2009 at 9:01 pm

That is so interesting! I can’t wait to test it out next time I grab a jar of pasta sauce! I’m so excited for cheap squashes – spaghetti, butternut – yum!!!

13 Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 14, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I have some almond butter in my pantry right now and, I think i’m going to try this finally. It’s got to help with the satisfaction factor!

14 Brandi September 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm

i haven’t tried the marinutta, but it’s on my list, too ๐Ÿ™‚

and winter squash is the highlight of the cold months here!

15 Erica September 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm

OK! I was planning on making eggplant parm tomorrow, but now I know I’m making roasted eggplant with marinutta suace! Thanks for the idea ๐Ÿ˜‰ Heather rocks !!

16 Matt September 14, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I would make that but I am not a big almond butter fan. I LOVE PB though. Do you think that would work?

17 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) September 14, 2009 at 9:28 pm

That sauce sounds so interesting! I guess a little almond butter can’t hurt anything, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Nicci@NiftyEats September 14, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I think I may try this sauce on a dish I make later this week!!

19 cookinfanatic September 14, 2009 at 9:52 pm

That is the most interesting sauce idea ever?! I suppose the sweetness of the tomatoes compliments the saltiness of the almond butter and I am thinking this could have some great potential! Great post ๐Ÿ™‚

20 Rosey Rebecca September 14, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Your dinner looks awesome! I’ll have to try that. My boyfriend would probably hate it though. lol

21 livelaughloveandrun September 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I love, love, love butternut squash. I haven’t tasted the others.. which one is your favorite?

22 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) September 14, 2009 at 10:07 pm

At first I thought almond butter + marinara would be weird… but I keep thinking about it, and it would be a very interesting combination! I’ll have to give it a try

23 Mellissa September 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Very interesting sauce- I have half a jar of pasta sauce in the fridge that I have been meaning to use up.

24 Jenna September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm

i love how you always try new different recipes you have never tried before. and i like how you use almond butter for a lot of things!
the pumpkin biscuit looks delish and i love how you are eating easter candy! haha.

jenna

25 Melissa S. September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm

fantastic din din!!! i’m jealous of the spaghetti squash…i need to find one…somewhere in the helm of tx…hahaha.

26 Julia September 14, 2009 at 10:43 pm

That’s a brave combo to try! I may just have to try it sometime!

27 Emily September 14, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I think I’ll take that challenge, I’m putting it on my to-make list!

28 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 14, 2009 at 11:09 pm

I love how brave you are with new combos. I need to start branching out more often.

29 biz319 September 14, 2009 at 11:21 pm

I am in . . . sans the onions!

30 Tobi September 14, 2009 at 11:23 pm

oooooh girl, I am sooooooo scurrrred and confused! LOL! I actually just bought the same Newman’s Own Marinara at the BOGO sale at Publix, but I would have NEVER thought to mix it with almond butter ( imagine my nose all scrunched up in that eeeww face right now) ! I am just not sure I am brave enough!!

31 WholeBodyLove September 15, 2009 at 12:17 am

Lol I buy those eggs the day after Easter and hide them in the freezer! However, Mallard always finds them and devours them before I can savor them! Luckily Reese’s makes hearts, pumpkins (already out!) , and trees!

32 broccolihut September 15, 2009 at 12:18 am

Yay for fall squash! I love it too! What’s your favorite kind? Mine depends on the day, but I have been really into acorn squash lately, as evidenced my recent blog posts.
I believe I have all three of those EXACT items in my fridge right now–TJ’s raw AB, Newman’s pasta sauce, and Bob’s Red Mill flax. Great minds think alike;)

33 Whit September 15, 2009 at 12:28 am

Almond butter does go with everything. I ain’t scurred, I’ll try that marinutta goodness. Watch me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

In other AB news, it is delicious with blue corn chips. Just dunk ’em straight in the jar.

34 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) September 15, 2009 at 12:42 am

I like to call it F’n Nuts sauce. I’ve tried it. Damn good. I need to roast some veggies. If you’ve done it already, its not too soon!!!

35 Teeny September 15, 2009 at 12:58 am

Spaghetti squash is my favorite fall/winter veggie! Can’t wait to track it down here! ๐Ÿ™‚

36 Steph September 15, 2009 at 1:08 am

Yay for fall vegetables! Your dinner looks delicious. I’ve been wanting to try that combo too. Have a great night!

37 Courtney September 15, 2009 at 1:41 am

You are so creative! Look at you!

38 Pam September 15, 2009 at 8:44 am

I have a butternut squash that is screaming to be eaten. Maybe I will give the sauce a try tonight!

39 healthy ashley September 15, 2009 at 9:12 am

Your plate looks delish! I was just craving squash, and now that I know they’re on sale…. ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Paige@ Running Around Normal September 15, 2009 at 9:13 am

I love mixing nut butters with marinara! I always make a peanut sauce by doing that – SO good! And gives marinara a kick – with something different ๐Ÿ™‚

41 Danielle September 15, 2009 at 10:37 am

I was just thinking about tomato/marinara sauce! Is Newman’s Own your favorite brand? I’m looking for one that’s low sodium, little to no added sugar, low cal, etc. Any recs?

Thanks!

42 Nicole (dishin') September 15, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I would never think to put marinara and almond butter together but it looks really good topped on your roated veggies. Looks like an enjoyable dinner!

43 carolinebee September 15, 2009 at 3:06 pm

That looks so fab!!! Squashies are one of the great many things bloggies have shown me and I will never stray!!

YAyyuuhh reese’s egg!! ๐Ÿ˜€

44 Monica C. September 15, 2009 at 5:12 pm

OMG, that combination is OUT THERE! I swear, I love this blog and think about your food combos allll the time. I love it, b/c these are things I would NEVER eat (I am beyond picky). ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep it coming!

45 Heather Eats Almond Butter September 16, 2009 at 11:30 am

Meghann,
Almond butter goes with anything. Agreed. ๐Ÿ™‚

CD will be so happy to hear that you loved the marinutta as it was totally his creation. Good stuff, huh?

I too am so excited about Fall veggies. I’ve been eating my weight in Brussels lately, and I’m going squash shopping today. I also need to pick up some pumpkin – your biscuit looks so good!