Man vs. Food

by Meghann on September 12, 2009

This afternoon my sister, Derek and I headed to my hometown to help my extended family celebrate September & August Birthdays. Since my family is so large we get together once every other month to celebrate group birthdays rather then having big celebrations for each one. It’s a great family tradition that works well for us. πŸ™‚

My Sister and I were pretty hungry once we made the trip from Orlando, so I called my Aunt to see how the food situation was for the get together. She said there was cake and chips and dip. As it was already 2:00pm my sis and I decided to make a detour before reaching our destination. We stopped at Publix and I got a sub.

This was a very yummy Boars Head Turkey on Whole Wheat with Lettuce, Tomatoes, Olives, Banana Peppers, Garlic Pickles, Jalapenos, Onion, Honey Mustard and Vinegar.

I’m glad we called ahead. I would have gone crazy munching on chips and dip trying to fill my hunger. The sub worked perfectly.

Of course I still made sure to save room for a little cake.

The August and September birthday guests of honor.

My small piece with a little bit of vanilla ice cream.

We chatted for a few hours and watched a little football before heading to New Symerna for my Grandmother’s birthday dinner at Flip Flops Grill & Chill.

When I first heard the name Flip Flops I figured we were heading to a dive beach bar, but it was actually a very nice restaurant. I was very impressed and thought the place would make a great date destination if you are ever in the area.

I was intrigued when they placed a small plate of chips and black eyed pea salsa on the table.

I had to have a chip to try it out.

Hmmm… it was nothing special. A great idea, but all I tasted was the black eyed peas, I guess I was expecting more flavor?

Don’t let the lackluster bean dip fool you though, my salad that I ordered more then made up for it.

I ordered the Citrus Soy Salad: a bed of greens with cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, red onions & a fresh mango salsa which I added a blackened Mahi Mahi to. This salad was A-MA-ZING! I would happily order it again and again. It was had lots of wonderful toppings with out being over the top. It was perfect.

Now the rest of this post I have to dedicate to my man, Derek, and his recent addiction to the show Man vs. Food. Anyone else out there a fan?

Well, if you’ve never seen an episode Man vs. Food is a show in which the host travels the country taking on food challenges. We were actually watching and episode before we left the apartment earlier today. Derek loves it and is always fascinated with what the hosts takes on next.

With that in mind, you can imagine the sheer delight on Derek’s face when he saw this on the menu.

That’s right a burger made up of four half pound patties with all the trimmings PLUS a POUND of fries!

He couldn’t resist, he had to order it!

This thing was HUGE!!! I tried to take as many pictures as possible, but I don’t think any of them do it justice.

There was a challenge behind this massive burger. Finish the whole plate + fries and dinner is on the house. Fortunately for me – and Derek’s stomach – he never really sought out the challenge. He just wanted to have a really cool dinner. Also, to be honest the burger wasn’t badly priced. I mean $20 for all that? Not a bad deal at all.

Still Derek was a trooper and ate HALF of the 2 pound burger!

Yeah, I was impressed and I think everyone else was impressed at the table as well. Way to go Derek! He boxed the rest of it to take home and enjoy for lunch and maybe even dinner again tomorrow.

After dinner we walked on along the beach before heading back to Orlando. I am exhausted and so ready to sleep. It’s been a long day!

Good night!!

1 VeggieGirl September 12, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Holy huge burger, haha!! Kudos to Derek for at least getting through half of it πŸ˜€

2 Sammi September 12, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I love Man vs Food! That is awesome πŸ™‚ I wonder how he even ate half of that? I guess running the marathon helped haha.

Looks like you had a fun day! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

3 kelby carpenter June 22, 2010 at 5:39 pm

i know i like him to

4 wholesomefoodie September 12, 2009 at 11:03 pm

I love that show! Hilarious that Derek ordered the burger! Your salad looked phenomenal!

5 Kelsey September 12, 2009 at 11:04 pm

that is so amazing!!! i love man vs food and i could totally see the host doing that challenge. i would imagine a pound of fries to be a lot more than that? hahahaa…

6 Meg C. September 12, 2009 at 11:14 pm

oh my good lord… looking at that makes me a little sick but i’m glad derek enjoyed it!

7 Leianna September 12, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Holy burger, I do love that show, can’t believe the amounts of food that man tries to eat!

8 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now September 12, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Wow! He really took that challenge seriously. I wonder if it will take him a couple days to finish the rest?

9 Run Sarah September 12, 2009 at 11:40 pm

That burger is awesome! I wouldn’t be able to eat it, but I probably could eat the 1lb of french fries!

10 angieinatlanta September 12, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Wow, that salad looks really good! I’m impressed they had that on the menu at the same place they had a 1 pound burger!

And Derek is a beast!

11 Nicci@NiftyEats September 12, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Props to Derek for eating half of that burger! It is Gigantic…lol

12 Gina G September 12, 2009 at 11:50 pm

that is so funny that you mentioned man vs. food because i am actually watching it as i am reading your post haha, p.s. amazing job on the race! =D

13 Sheri September 12, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Your salad looked awesome and Derek’s buger was HUGE! Holy cow…I don’t think I have ever saw a burger that big!

14 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 12, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Holy. Burger.

That’s impressive Derek (lol although I do have to say I hope you get two meals out of the rest!)

15 Lizzy September 13, 2009 at 12:00 am

o my word! that hamburger is insane! thats awesome! I think Derek did a great job at accomplishing what he did! 2 thumbs up! πŸ™‚

16 jocelyneatsfresh September 13, 2009 at 12:15 am

that thing is insanity. I immediately showed that to my bottomless pit of a man…he has had something similar before…we have something called the octoburger here..and it involves 8 patties. ewwww

17 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 13, 2009 at 12:15 am

Hahaha good recovery meal, Derek!

18 christina September 13, 2009 at 12:21 am

LOL, that burger has to be the size of both my cats side by side!

19 WholeBodyLove September 13, 2009 at 1:00 am

Holy hamburger, that is huge! I seriously don’t know how anyone could finish that. You’re right though, 20 bucks isn’t bad if the boy will eat leftovers πŸ™‚

20 Kate September 13, 2009 at 1:11 am

Wow! THAT is reallllly impressive!

21 amanda September 13, 2009 at 1:15 am

omg that is so cool! why cant a place around me be like that? too bad it says no sharing, i would still totally get it and take it all home! good for u he didnt eat it all, or else he would be sleepin on that couch haha

22 broccolihut September 13, 2009 at 1:18 am

Wow! What a burger! I think that could feed me for a week!
Love the looks of your soy citrus salad.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Meghann!

23 Angharad (Eating for England) September 13, 2009 at 2:19 am

Woah. I mean, woah. That burger is scary!

I love your family’s tradition for birthdays! There must be so many of you!!

24 Tay September 13, 2009 at 2:43 am

LOL oh holy moly!! I wonder if one could devour it for dinner after a marathon long run. You never know – those runs can make you hungry!! haha

25 Amy September 13, 2009 at 5:40 am

My heartbeat quickened when I saw the sub. I recognized it even before reading Publix. I miss Publix so much! I think Publix and Target are the 2 places I’ve miss most while living overseas the last 4 years.

Your salad looked great. Derek’s burger put me in awe and then it made me a little nauseous. Glad you both enjoyed some time with the family.

26 Susan September 13, 2009 at 6:20 am

Bahahahaha. That is ridiculous – I love it!! I can’t imagine how big it actually was if you say the pics don’t do it justice! I agree, $20 ain’t bad, he’ll be eating that for days. How did he make out on the pound of fries? πŸ˜›

27 greenbean September 13, 2009 at 6:20 am

Way to go, Derek! I love that show too. I’m impressed that you made it through half of that thang!

28 Julie September 13, 2009 at 7:20 am

Oh my God…I think I had a heart attack just looking at that burger!! Wow, Derek can eat! The leftovers will feed him for at least two days!

29 Sarah September 13, 2009 at 7:33 am

I LOVE man vs. food! One of my favorite guilty pleasure TV shows πŸ™‚ Go Derek for giving it a shot!

30 Caitlin September 13, 2009 at 7:48 am

that is ridiculous LOL

31 Matt September 13, 2009 at 7:53 am

Haha I totally bet I could eat that burger!

32 Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 13, 2009 at 8:04 am

WHOA – that sandwich is the largest thing I have ever seen.

33 Jenna September 13, 2009 at 8:07 am

that show is outrageous!
he did a pretty good job on the burger though!
congrats on the run today girl πŸ™‚ you had a fun long day!

jenna

34 Courtney September 13, 2009 at 8:14 am

Man vs. Food is great!! On the San Francisco epidose Adam ate an entire giant sundae! It’s amazing he’s not like 1,000 pounds! And GREAT job in your race today!

35 fittipexchange September 13, 2009 at 8:19 am

It’s funny what things our boyfriend do that make us so proud…Spencer can lick his elbow and chug 4 beers in 6 seconds…it warms my heart..haha

36 Kristin September 13, 2009 at 8:38 am

WOW that is one big burger! He did quite a job on it, yum!!

xo
K

37 Lovliebutterfly September 13, 2009 at 9:03 am

Wow! That’s a seriously big burger! And what a really yummy looking cake!

38 Nabeela September 13, 2009 at 9:31 am

Holy moly!! That burger is HUUUUGE!! I love man vs. food too…..I always find it hard to believe when Adam finishes all that food in one sitting. That guy has one BIG stomach…lol!
Although I don’t condone over-eating for the sake of competetion, it’s still hard to walk away from the TV when the show is on πŸ™‚

39 biz319 September 13, 2009 at 9:54 am

My husband and I love Man v. Food! I always like when the host eats really hot stuff!

40 chandra September 13, 2009 at 10:41 am

Holy crap that thing is massive! I’m honestly a little grossed out by it. πŸ™‚ I can’t believe he ate half of it!! lol

41 Rosey Rebecca September 13, 2009 at 3:41 pm

That burger is HUMONGOUS! I made my boyfriend come over to look at the picture! He wants to go to that restaurant now!

42 Rebeca September 13, 2009 at 4:42 pm

OMG… way to go Derek!

I sooooo want to be a competitive eater and try stuff like that but I usually get grossed out by big burgers (as in quarter pounder style) halfway thru so I don’t think I could manage it… I’ll just dream about the plate of fries for now πŸ™‚

43 Katie Davis September 13, 2009 at 6:50 pm

My husband and I love Man vs. Food and are always amazed at some of the challenges he is able to pull out. We love to travel and often incorporate places either he has been or Guy Fieri from Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives has been.

44 danielle September 13, 2009 at 7:46 pm

My boyfriend LOVES Man vs. Food. He would have definitely ordered the burger and fries! Funny when I’m a vegetarian πŸ™‚

45 Pam (Highway to Health) September 13, 2009 at 9:04 pm

That is a HUGE burger! I bet my boyfriend would love that! I’m impressed that he finished half.

46 Anne Marie@ Her New Weigh September 14, 2009 at 10:43 am

That burger is ginormous!! I think the husband would LOVE that!

47 Melissa September 14, 2009 at 11:21 am

I was in New Smyerna Beach in March. Being from Boston, I doubt I’ll get back there again….but I loved getting the chance to visit.

Have you ever been to Flagler Coffee Shop? It was super cute and had delicious flavored coffee. I took tons of pictures of the fun decor and even bought a t-shirt. Haha!

48 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 24, 2009 at 1:33 pm