Applesauce Cereal

by Meghann on September 9, 2009

I figured out what’s more pitiful then a cone head, post-op pup…

A cone head, post-op pup locked in a crate.

IMG_1508

My hear literally broke for her this morning. If I had any PTO at all I would have happily taken the day of to keep babying her.

Maddie did not have too great of a night last night. She could not seem to get comfortable with the cone collar and kept walking over me all night. At one point she managed to wiggle the cone off and I could tell she was so much more at ease, but she instantly started licking her wound and I knew the collar had to go back on.

She also was not interested in her food at all this morning. I have plans to stop on the way home for some canned dog food as a special treat to encourage her to eat.

I couldn’t bare to leave Maddie this morning for my run, so instead I am planning on doing some speed work at the track after work and messed around on ExerciseTv on demand to get my heart pumping. I did a 20 minute sculpt video, a 10 minute ab routine and then 10 minutes of yoga.

Breakfast was an old favorite I completely forgot about until I was flipping through some old entries last night.

IMG_1499

Applesauce Cereal 🙂

• 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Strawberry Yogurt Os
  • 1/8 Blueberry Vanilla Crackle Honest Foods Plank
  • Unsweetened Apple Sauce
  • Blueberries
  • Naturally Nutty Peanut Butter Toffee Butter

IMG_1503

Before I discovered the deliciousness of yogurt in cereal, I used to add applesauce on a regular basis. Applesauce gives the cereal a moist, fruity flavor that I really enjoy. Yum!

My 1 year blogiversary for Inner Workings… is coming up on Friday. I’ve been reminiscing over old entries lately and it’s fun to look back on some old habits and new ones that have formed through the blog.

Are there any special Inner Workings…. posts, quotes, or memories that stick out in your mind? I’m piecing together a special year in review blog post and would love your thoughts!

1 Leianna September 9, 2009 at 8:28 am

Congrats on the upcoming 1 yr. anniversary!
I feel for your poor puppie, it’s so hard to watch them suffer like that and not be able to do much:(
Applesauce and oatmeal, interesting combo!

2 Morgan September 9, 2009 at 8:42 am

Hooray for 1 year. Although I’m a newer fan (had to go back to read this) – the Blogging 101 series TOTALLY helped me. Now I’m a few weeks into my own blog!

3 nutritionbyeve September 9, 2009 at 8:58 am

I can imagine how hard that must have been to leave her…she’ll be ok though! They always get through it. I would have never thought of applesauce with cereal – i think applesauce, cereal & yogurt would be really yummy all together.

4 jentrinque September 9, 2009 at 8:59 am

Your poor baby! She’ll feel better soon and it’s best for everyone that she’s fixed now!

I always love reading your posts about adventures (vacations, cruises, etc) and of course your marathon trip was great to read about!

5 Kelly September 9, 2009 at 9:08 am

Awww poor baby! It sucks but it’s better than her infecting her wounds. How long does she have to wear the collar?

6 Jenna September 9, 2009 at 9:19 am

aww poor maddie, hopefully she will be like herself soon!

7 Deva (Voracous Vorilee) September 9, 2009 at 9:32 am

Awww, poor maddie. I hope she heals quickly so she can get out of the collar!

8 fittipexchange September 9, 2009 at 9:37 am

bless her little heart! so pitiful, but so cute at the same time…

I liked your entries about how to become a successful blogger…very inspiring!

9 Katherine September 9, 2009 at 9:46 am

If you go to Petsmart or Petco they sell collars made for surgery recovery that are less cumbersome. They are usually blue and look like an inner tube. You blow it up and place it around their neck, they are unable to get to their wounds and can move around with less trouble. It makes them look like they are ready for a swim in the pool. I used this when both of my labs were spayed, they seemed happier with it on and were able to eat and sleep better. Here is a link if you are interested!

10 Meghann September 9, 2009 at 9:53 am

Thanks for the link! I will check that out at PetSmart this evening 🙂

11 Mica September 9, 2009 at 9:49 am

Poor Maddie, that is such a sad doggy!

I really enjoyed reading your post about all the Gasparilla races in one weekend.

12 RunToTheFinish September 9, 2009 at 9:59 am

I just dropped little Kingston off to be declawed, they are so sad and pitful at the vet it makes me feel awful!!

13 Lizzy September 9, 2009 at 10:05 am

Aw poor maddie! 🙁

I would have never thought to put applesauce in cereal, but that sounds like such a good idea! What other ways could you use applesauce, you have me intrigued now! haha??

14 Haleigh September 9, 2009 at 10:18 am

I have never tried cereal with applesauce, I think it may be a bit too dry for me. It looks yummy though 🙂

aww, poor little Maddie..

15 dee (the apple hill adventurer) September 9, 2009 at 10:31 am

aw, your pup looks miserable! i hope it feels better soon

apple sauce cereal, what a concept! sounds realllllyy tasty!

16 Erica September 9, 2009 at 10:34 am

awwwwww! I felt so bad for Frank when he had to wear the cone…he just looked so depressed! Get better quick little lady!

I LOVED your marathon video and your mini shepards pie stands out in my head as a fabulous recipe. Hope that helps 🙂

17 Sara September 9, 2009 at 10:34 am

Oh, sweet little Maggie! Puppies always look so sad with the cone on. Our pup hated it and finally figured out how to chew it, but that wasn’t until the day before he could stop wearing it.

18 Elsa September 9, 2009 at 10:39 am

Oh poor Maggie! My heart sinks for her. I wish her a speedy recovery! And in the meantime some yummy canned food to lift her spirits! 😉

19 Coco September 9, 2009 at 11:07 am

Wow. This reminds me of my senior quest trip in high school when I had to resort to using apple sauce in place of yogurt or milk for my granola. We were floating the river so we couldn’t buy any milk or yogurt once we ran out. That bowl looks awesome!!! I’ll have to try that combo again!

20 Ali September 9, 2009 at 11:10 am

Oh, poor girl! I can imagine that it is not comfortable to sleep with a cone on.

21 Mandy A September 9, 2009 at 11:22 am

Poor Maddie 🙁

I personally loved your bikini confidence post!

22 Sheri September 9, 2009 at 11:40 am

Awww..poor Maddie. They do look so helpless and sad when wearing a cone! But before you know it she will be back to her spunky self!

I really enjoyed your Blogger 101 Series very helpful!

23 Stephanie September 9, 2009 at 11:41 am

Oh poor Maddie!

My favorite posts of yours are the ones with your family. I love how close you all are and how much fun you have together. It’s always great to read those ones 🙂

24 Traci September 9, 2009 at 11:42 am

All your posts are great but I loved your posts from your vacation with your family a few months ago were great at the Lake

25 Lauren September 9, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Aw poor baby! Dogs have an uncanny way of breaking your heart 🙁 I’m glad to hear that the surgery was a success…she will be back to her old self in no time, I’m sure!

26 angieinatlanta September 9, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Those pics from your cruise with Derek were awesome – flaunt that bikini confidence girl!

27 CEFS September 9, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I don’t know how big Maddie is, but what worked well for my dog was putting on a baby’s onesie. I just cut a hole for her tail and pulled it up when she went outside to go to the bathroom. I work at an vet and this usually works just as good as a an e-collar. Just something to try…good luck!

28 Bec September 9, 2009 at 12:38 pm

aww your poor little pup, hope she feels better soon! I always love your race recaps

29 Kristin September 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Aww, poor pup. She’ll be better soon!

Applesauce cereal looks like a great idea! Yum!

xo
K

30 Susan September 9, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Aww, poor Maddie 🙁 I love applesauce in cereal! Have you ever mixed applesauce and yogurt together? It’s a pretty stellar combo.

You had some great running posts around the time of your marathon. I also like many of your earlier ones, when you were still building up your running stamina. It’s a reminder that we all start somewhere 🙂

31 Gloria September 9, 2009 at 1:10 pm

You are so sweet with Maddie! You’re going to be an awesome mother 🙂

32 Lauren September 9, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Awww poor Maddie 🙁

Thank goodness for ExerciseTV!

33 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) September 9, 2009 at 1:28 pm

You know what I’m going to say, but I’ll say it anyway.

Green. Bikini.

34 Nicole (dishin') September 9, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Awwww so sad. I hope she’s feeling better and you both get some rest soon!

35 Anne September 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Your bikini confidence post! It’s so powerful

36 Becky September 9, 2009 at 9:41 pm

I didn’t read all the comments, so am unsure if the magical cone solution has been shared…dogs HATE the smell of vaporrub. If you are very careful and put it around the wound, very carefully NOT getting it on it*burn*burn*burn*, put it around the wound and hopefully she will not lick because she will hate the smell of the vaporrub….store brand is sufficient, doesn’t need to be Vicks, just needs to smell like vaporrub. Our dogs never had to wear cones because of this trick shared by my sil who is a vet….it’s worth a try!