Robbed

by Meghann on September 8, 2009

After such a wonderful weekend and start to my morning, I was really taken a back when my supervisor informed me she was not so lucky. Her and her son made a 15 minute Dairy Queen run on Saturday evening only to return to a disheveled, ransacked house. Turns out 15 minutes is all it takes for burglars to rob you blind.

They took all her family’s electronics, including her work lap top! They even found the boxes to her Iphone and Mac Pro and stole those too! Craziness.

At my parent’s house we have a problem with bums stealing change from our cars if we leave the doors unlocked. One time they even managed to get away with my Mom’s wedding rings she had left in there on accident. Up in Tallahassee a neighbor of mine was robbed and my sister’s place was robbed, not once but twice! Both times during holiday breaks. We tend to forget how scary of a world it really is out there.

I’m taking this as a reminder to always lock my doors and take nothing for granted. My supervisor thought she lived in a safe neighborhood, but this one incident has changed her mind completely. It sucks to not only be robbed of your possessions, but your sense of security.

Have you ever been robbed before?

Needless to say it has been an interesting morning around here. While hearing my supervisor’s tale I had a Kiwi.

IMG_1455

Which I ate Apple style.

IMG_1456

I have to be honest. I actually enjoy eating the chewiness of the fur.:)

The kiwi really filled me up.

Noon rolled around and I was not hungry at all.

12:30 came and I thought this is really strange, usually I’m starving.

Finally around 1:00 I had a little hunger and I decided to just got ahead and eat.

IMG_1459

I packed my lunch today because I have plans of leaving early and spending time babying Maddie after I am able to pick her up.

IMG_1460

I went with my favorite packed lunch wrap of Almond Butter, Carrot, Spinach and Dried Cherries.

IMG_1464

On the side was some Taboule.

IMG_1461

With a little Bubbly.

IMG_1465

IMG_1462

There has still been no word from the Vet. :/

I’m not exactly sure what time Maddie was suppose to have her procedure done, but I plan on waiting another hour before I call to check in. Hopefully they will beat me to the punch. I can be very impatient sometimes.

1 Matt September 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Oh wow!

I feel pretty safe here. We have a security guard that drives around at night and is at the gate during the day. We also have cameras on every building. I always make sure to lock my doors as well.

2 Rose September 8, 2009 at 1:33 pm

My goodness!

I was robbed on my first day in England in 2005. I was studying abroad – and a guy took all my money in a phone booth. I had about 500 pounds (which was like 1,000 dollars at the time), in my wallet – I don’t know why I was carrying it all around. He took it all! Months of working so hard. I was broke all summer long.

It was scary! But more rough after the fact.

3 greenbean September 8, 2009 at 1:42 pm

she’s probably ok, but one thing i’ve learned is that the vets don’t mind if you call. so if you feel the need, go ahead. you’re her mommy and they usually understand that. if not, call anyway! :) you’re paying them for a service and have the right to.

4 Amanda September 8, 2009 at 1:50 pm

ah your poor supervisor!! i had my wallet stolen twice before – once out of my car when i was at the gym. i left the window down a bit and i guess it was enough to get in. another time was in the locker room in high school. both times i bawled like a baby – it was such a horrible feeling!!

5 Sarah R September 8, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Oh goodness! How scary for her! Hope Maddie is doing well. I need to try your lunch wrap, it always looks so yummy.

6 Valerie September 8, 2009 at 1:53 pm

That is my most favorite wrap EVER! I make mine with dried orange-flavored cranberries. So much zest and flavor!

7 Mandy A September 8, 2009 at 1:53 pm

My in-laws live in a very safe looking neighborhood… and went away this weekend… came back and their motorhome had been stolen out of their driveway! And no leads on it, either !

8 brandi September 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm

oh, that’s horrible!

My parents have lived in the same neighborhood for the past 23 years and we moved one street back about 8 years ago. Just a few months after moving into the other house, we got robbed. I came home from high school and found the garage door propped open and muddy footprints in the kitchen. it was scary! he took all our electronics, cds, watches, cameras, etc. BUT they caught him. I still get very freaked out at strange noises and am neurotic about having the doors/windows locked.

9 jentrinque September 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I’m sure she’s doing just fine :)

10 carolinebee September 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm

OMG that’s awful :( I got robbed 2 years ago, on Dec. 23rd, and they stole all the wrapped presents from under our tree. It was the worst thing ever…They also took my laptop from it’s dumb spot right smack on my table! I learned my lesson to back up pictures, documents, etc. :-/ It is the most violating, awful feeling, but my mom reminded me that the person who did it is probably on drugs, and in other worse situations…so we were the luckier in the long run.

11 Mellissa September 8, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Reading all these stories makes me so sad- what is wrong with people. I had my luggage stolen from spring break when I was in college on the way home. I had all my jewlery in there, including my grandma’s wedding ring!

I learned my lesson to not have anything of value in my suitcase.

12 *Andrea* September 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm

i’m sure maddie is ok.. i’ll pray for you! that sucks about being robbed. i never have but i swear once someone stole my i-pod from my locker (no lock) when i used to lifeguard :(

13 foodieinthecity September 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm

That is so scary. I have never been robbed, but know a few people that have been. I hope that never happens to me, but if it does, I can only hope that nobody is hurt.

Love the addition of dried cherries to the wrap. Genious idea!

I’m sure Maddie is fine, but she probably misses her mama :).

14 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 8, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Yikes! I haven’t personally been robbed, but I have definitely had my sense of security robbed. My college apartment complex was robbed multiple times, so that definitely robbed our security, even though we had an alarm. Ross and I lived in a complex that had security guards at the gate 24/7 last year, but around Christmas 30 cars were broken into in one night. That was another security robber! We’re still new to this area, and I keep wondering if/ when I’m going to hear about the complex being robbed.

15 MelissaNibbles September 8, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I’ve been robbed twice. In college someone broke into our suite and stole me and my suitemates jewelry, stereos, and clothing. Two years ago, I was held up by a man in the T station. He stole my wallet and earrings. It was scary, but it taught me to be more aware of my surroundings no matter where I go.

I hope you hear from the vet soon!

16 Dori September 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm

My apartment was broken into by someone who works at my landlord company. They used our keys to get in and even locked up when they left. I was a complete wreck, holding on to my doll when the police were over! Had a locksmith come that night and don’t let the landlord make any repairs anymore… Don’t want the person back in my apartment, no idea which one it even was. They took my new macbook and my roommates platinum and diamond tiffanys jewelery

17 Haleigh September 8, 2009 at 2:19 pm

What a crazy place we live in!!! I have never been robbed. When I lived in Sweden, every one left everything unlocked and they thought I was uptight because I locked everything but this is why!! Stuff like this happens all the time in the states, it’s crazy! I hope your supervisor gets everything settled, and I hope the vet calls soon! xoxo

18 Gina September 8, 2009 at 2:20 pm

It’s something I was about to talk about on my blog, but cut it out at the last minute, but yes, unfortunately our house was robbed in April. They stole all of my jewelry, Todd’s camera gear, and some more electronics. Luckily he didn’t harm Kahlua (she was in her crate) so we were grateful for that.
Karma does come in handy though because a month later we received a call from the detective that the guy had been caught! We got everything back minus my high school ring and a gold necklace. I consider us very lucky because I knew there was a very slim chance of us getting our things back. So, he’s rotting in jail and he was also linked to six other robberies in the area!
It’s horrible to be robbed, you feel so violated, I hope your supervisor is doing okay.
And I’m sure Maddie is fine. :-)

19 Mica September 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Wow, your poor supervisor. That has to be a really awful thing to come home to.

My purse got stolen in Paris (It was my fault for being careless.), but I lost a lot: my camera, my European cellphone, my Métro Pass, etc. I’m still pretty bitter about it, so I can’t imagine how I would feel if it were my house. (Thank goodness for renter’s insurance.)

20 fittipexchange September 8, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I’ve been robbed twice in Orlando…once when I was in my apartment :/ It was by campus, though, which is not the best area!

21 Tasha September 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I hate to hear about stories like this – society is cruel and unfair. I had my car broken into once and I felt violated and used. I can’t even imagine the feeling of our home getting broken into! We view our home as our “safe place” and once that feeling has been lost it is hard to get it back.
I am sure Maddie is fine :) enjoy your day!

22 PRT September 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Hope everything goes fine with Maddie.

I was robbed a few years back. The inexperience of someone with a new car and few months as a driver. I left the car alone for 5 minutes to get money from a ATM and someone stoled my radio. First and last time, I left my car unattended without locking. Now I’m always double-checking everything; even if I only go out for like 5 minutes. Call me paranoid!

23 Kat September 8, 2009 at 2:37 pm

What a horrible experience! Unfortunately I have been robbed twice. My luggage was stolen when i was flying from Costa Rica to Atlanta about 2 years ago and then this past June my Jeep was stolen at work. The police found my Jeep but unfortunately it had been wrecked beyond repair. I have to admit, I still get really freaked out about my (new used) car being stolen and anything happening to my apartment. However, there has been a ton of crime in Atlanta recently with a lot of it ending in violence (shooting, stabbing, assault) so I am very thankful that it was only my possessions that were stolen.

24 ksgoodeats September 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I’m sure Maddie’s fine but I totally understand your worries! It’s tough to be a pet parent, isn’t it?!

Sorry to hear about all of the robberies! On my campus, someone was mugged last week at 11AM! It was the middle of the day – crazy world.

25 AshleyP September 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm

My car was broken into here in Tallahassee- my husband had left it unlocked. Thankfully they didn’t take anything, just left the light on so I’d have a dead battery. Awesome.

26 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate September 8, 2009 at 3:09 pm

My house was robbed when I was in 8th grade. They didn’t really steal much but trashed the place pretty badly. Once they found the people we found out that our dog woke up when they were there and bit them so they fed her stuff from the fridge so they could get away. It’s a horrible feeling to know someone was in your house like that.

I’m sure Maddie is doing fine but I would be nervous too!

27 foodcents September 8, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I had my car stolen one morning, it took me a few minutes to realize it was gone (it was early early). The police ended up finding it a few days later, with minor damage. No love for the hoodlums from me.

Sending good vibes to you, I am sure Maddie is fine. Hard not to wonder, waiting is the hardest part.

28 Nicci@NiftyEats September 8, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I have never been robbed but my boyfriend has. He only realized it after his Mother called him to say a police officer had called her & told her they found his check book on a guy robbing another place. He had no clue it ws missing (from his upstairs apt too). robber broke in and stole checkbook and a roomies xbox. There place was so junky, they realized nothing was missing. robber came in through the patio!

29 Ali September 8, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Oh no! That is so awful about your co-worker. I can’t believe that people do that!

Did you mom ever get her wedding band back? That is terrible!

I am sure Maddie is fine. She is going to be groggy. I hope for a speedy recovering for her! She is adorable!!

30 lowandbhold September 8, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Wow, that’s really scary. I’m always super paranoid about making sure my garage door is down because I’m scared of being robbed. Thanks for the warning.

I’m sure Maddie is great. They probably just got busy and didn’t call. I would go ahead and give them a ring if it’ll make you feel better.

I hope she feels better soon!

31 VeggieGirl September 8, 2009 at 3:58 pm

YIKES!! Stay safe!!

32 Evan Thomas September 8, 2009 at 4:50 pm

That’s so scary. I remembered I forgot to lock my door after lunch, so I walked back to my dorm even though my legs were not feeling it. Stories like this make me glad I did

33 Jen September 8, 2009 at 4:56 pm

A friend of mine was dating a man from New Zealand that told us you are supposed to eat the fuzzy part. It took some getting used to but now, I kind of like it.

34 angieinatlanta September 8, 2009 at 5:21 pm

That’s such a scary story! But I’m glad you shared it – it’s a great reminder for us to be careful at all times!

35 Lindsay September 8, 2009 at 5:36 pm

I am super trusting, it is easy to think that I live on base and am protected by Marines at the gate with their M16s but really stuff can happen from within these walls too! Good to have reminders and hopefully she’ll be able to make some insurance claims and get replacements quickly!

36 Jessica September 8, 2009 at 6:07 pm

My entire family (3 sisters, grandparents, sister’s boyfriends) came to visit me in Washington, DC two weekends ago. We were eating dinner when my mom’s purse was taken right from her chair while she sat wedged between my dad and grandfather. The purse had all of her debit and credit cards, check book, my dad’s wallet, etc etc. We all acted quickly to cancel cards and place a fraud alert on mom and dad’s social security numbers. The thieves were denied their attemted $1,000 Target purchase, but there was still a lot of other damage done…not to mention the fear that these people now know where they live, their SS #’s etc. What’s wrong with people?

37 courtlove111 September 8, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I was trusting and somewhat naive until I had a couple of bad things happen to me. And then I realized bad things can happen to anyone and now I’m super cautious, some might say paranoid! (hubby!!) But that’s ok, because I’d rather be safe than sorry as they say!
Hope Maddie is doing great!!!!
Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

38 Jenna September 8, 2009 at 7:27 pm

yeah, my dad once left his car unlocked during the night and people broke into all the cars in our neighborhood and tooke stuff from the cars, but lukily the police caught them and we got everything back they took!
i am wondering if your wrap you had today for lunch can be made with regular peanut butter or do you suggest almond butter. because i wanna make it in my caf, but we dont have almond butter! i only have natural peanut butter in my dorm room :)
jenna

39 Pru @ Nutty Confessional September 8, 2009 at 7:27 pm

I’ve never been robbed, but definitely hear about it more than I would like it to happen, so I’m always careful.

I find it funny/sad that I can never find such wonderful Canada Dry products…and I live in Canada! :(

40 Leianna September 8, 2009 at 7:46 pm

My parents were robbed in Thailand of everything once and had to wait for new passports and money! Scary!
Hope you hear soon and good news of your little Abbie!

41 K September 8, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Hi Meghann! I wanted to start out by saying I read your blog daily, and I am truly inspired by how devoted you are to a healthy lifestyle. Also, I love how kind you are to animals, and Maddie seems like such a sweet, well taken care of dog!

I am grappling about whether to mention this, because I know this is your blog, and I am 100% sure that you are a lovely kind wonderful person that would never intentionally say anything to offend others- or even if you did, I am totally aware that is it your right to do so since, again, this is your bog!

But, just in case you were unaware, some people think the term “bum” is a bit derogatory to use towards a homeless person. Also, I’m curious if you had proof it was homeless people stealing change from your family’s cars.

Please delete this comment if you want to, I just thought I would mention this since the homeless are a very marginalized community, and I know that their issues are not always made aware to others.

Thanks for everything that you do… and please forgive me if this makes you feel attacked in any way, I am totally aware that sometimes I am personally over-sensitive about these things, and I bet most people reading this will think I’m wrong in mentioning this.

42 Lola September 8, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Ugh how horrible. I think it’s quite rare and I’m hesitant to even say it aloud, but I don’t think I’ve ever personally experienced any type of robbery, I’m living in Madrid now and know so many people who have pickpocketed (as in most big cities) but honestly, I think it feels much safer than the U.S.

I’ve gained a different, and sad, perspective of the U.S. in that I see just how much crime and violence we have. I even come from a “safe” city of Austin, TX but I feel 10000 times safer walking around Madrid ..sketchy parts and all…than I do in many parts of Austin.

43 lifeafterbagels September 8, 2009 at 11:06 pm

About 5 years ago my worse fear happened. My house was broken into WHILE I WAS HOME. Thankfully it must have been some silly kids and not serious thieves. They took all the small appliances from the kitchen (that was the door they broke in) and left through the front door. I didn’t even hear them which is totally the scariest part.

44 Susan September 9, 2009 at 7:53 am

That sucks about the robbery!! I hope she had her big items insured :( In my hometown it’s pretty common to have your car robbed if you leave it unlocked. We’ve have cds and stuff stolen when it’s been in our driveway. I had a friend who even had her car stereo stolen from her driveway!

45 Meg September 9, 2009 at 4:54 pm

My boss was just robbed last week! They took anything they could fit in their hands. Luckily, there was no way they could carry the flat screen TV out! Thankfully no one in my family has been robbed.