more ยป" />

Return from the Keys

by Meghann on September 7, 2009

Wow, was that a drive! Nothing like a little holiday traffic to make an 8 hour drive a couple hours longer. Good thing is I am home now, bad thing is I’ll be back at work tomorrow. Such is life.

Last night I thought I had set my alarm for the reasonable time of 6:45am. When it buzzed this morning I jumped out of bed and immediately took Maddie outside to potty. Once outside I realized it was still really dark without a peep of the sun rising. I also noticed there were still a few drunks walking around Duval Street. That’s when it clicked.

My phone did not realize it was still the weekend and went off at it’s normal Monday morning time of 5:30am. I corrected my alarm and happily crawled back into bed for another hour of sleep.

As the alarm went off again I happily jumped out of bed to a rising sun. Much better.

I geared up and headed out for my first only run of Key West. It has been the only opportunity I’ve had to run and I latched on to the chance. I ran 4 solid miles around the island. I ran up and down Duval street, saw the southernmost point, Mallory Square and even saw a Cruise ship pull into port. It’s so peaceful early in the morning, much different then the hustle and bustle of the night.

Once showered and dressed Derek and I met my brother at Blue Heaven for breakfast.

On my run I checked out a dew breakfast menus, but none of them screamed at my like Blue Heaven. I know we had just ate dinner their the night before, but everyone had great things to say about their breakfast I had to check it out too.

I love how they call it Breakfast with the Roosters.

They weren’t kidding. :)

I really wanted pancakes for breakfast, so that’s what I got!

I ordered Strawberry Pancakes with a side of Yogurt and Fruit. I then proceeded to combine them all Meghann Style.

Regular pancakes with syrup is just so boring to me. Pancakes with yogurt and fruit is perfect! These were great. I are the majority of what you see on the plate and had to beg the waitress to take my plate from me. I was stuffed!

We took one last walk to the water before we said good bye to Key West.

Good Bye Key West! I hope we meet again!!!

We then discovered what happens on the last day of a holiday weekend when there is only way out of the Keys and its a 2 lane highway.

Traffic! Ughh….

Maddie and I tried to make the most of it. She discovered the vast wonders of driving with the window open and I discovered how much fun it is to take pictures in the mirror.

After a few hours of traffic we took a break at a hole in the wall pizza place for lunch.

I could not resist the Monday Special.

I had one slice of cheese pizza and a house salad.

The house salad was loaded with tomatoes and olives and was actually really good. I was expecting a bowl of iceberg lettuce and tomato wedges, this bowl of beauty surpassed any of those expectations.

We hit the road for the last half of the trip. At this point Maddie completely gave up trying to keep me entertained and slept the rest of the way in Derek’s arms.

I’ll admit I snoozed myself for most of the drive. Derek was a true trooper and drove the entire way. Have I mentioned about much he rocks yet?

About 100 miles from our destination I snacked on this very refreshing Apple that had been chilling in the cooler.

When we finally made it back to my apartment I decided something quick and easy was in order for dinner. Derek had requested ‘Football watching food’ in honor of the FSU v UM game – Go Noles! – so we went with Nachos.

I started with a bed of Spinach then covered it with Blue Corn Tortilla Chips, Black Beans, Feta Cheese, Jalapenos, Taboule, Salsa, Red Onion, Corn, and a dollop of Plain Oikos.

All I was missing was a beer and I would have been all set. This was the perfect easy meal to sit back in the recliner and watch the Noles kick some Hurricane booty. ;)

Of course the Noles aren’t always perfect and in times like those Derek and I consoled in one of Amanda’s Brownies to ease our pain.

The brownie was the perfect sweet ending to my Labor Day Weekend. Tomorrow it’s back to life as usual, luckily its a short week. :)

In other happy news…

Exactly one years ago today I had the distinct pleasure of meeting up with the famous Caitlin from then ‘See Bride Run’ for a Sunday morning run in downtown Orlando. Read the post here.

DSCN8835[4].jpg

I had been reading Caitlin’s blog for a month when I randomly commented that I had just moved to the Orlando area and also loved to run. She told me to e-mail her for a meet up and the rest is history. We have been insperable ever since.

CIMG1432.JPG

Caitlin was actually the one that encouraged me to start this blog! Who knew a year ago today I was meeting my new best friends.

Caitlin and I have ran countless races together.

CIMG3292.JPG

I was lucky enough to attend her wedding.

DSCN1300.JPG

We’ve made other running buddies in the process.

CIMG3728.JPG

And somehow we helped organize an amazing summit with other blogging friends.

Happy Friendship Anniversary Caitlin! Here’s to another year full of lots of laughs, hugs, and good times!

DSCN2169.JPG

1 caitlin September 7, 2009 at 9:37 pm

2 caitlin September 7, 2009 at 9:50 pm

also, my wedding hat was SWEET – i wonder where that thing is???

3 angieinatlanta September 7, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Those pancakes look so YUMMY! I love how you can see the fruit in the pancakes!

And what a cute friendship post! I commented the same thing on Caitlin’s blog – you guys are totally lifelong friends and are going to be the cutest, speed-walking grannies ever one day!

4 Amy September 7, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Great blog and awesome that you’ve made such a great friend through it!
You might have already done it, but since you’re living in central Florida make sure you check out some of the springs. Some of my favorites are: Ichetucknee, Poe, and Blue. Also, in the winter head on down to the Rainbow River and snorkel with the manatees! You could use your underwater camera again! :)

5 wholesomefoodie September 7, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Such a great tribute to Caitlin!

I grew up in FL, yet somehow never made it to the Keys. Your trip has made me want to head there next time I am in the Sunshine state.

6 VeggieGirl September 7, 2009 at 10:14 pm

YAY!!! Happy anniversary to you and Caitlin on a fabulous friendship :)

7 Lizzy September 7, 2009 at 10:14 pm

your blog warms my heart always! :) Your Key west Vacay was nothing short of amazing!

can you believe those strawberries in the pancakes. that just screams gourmet to me! :) thank goodness you made it home safe!:)

Lastly happy friend anniversery! that is amazing! :) the two of you girls are amazing women and share so many great things! :) so glad you found eachother

8 Britt September 7, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Yay!!! Two meals at Blue Heaven… however you did miss my fav… Banana Heaven for dessert. An excuse to go back!

Ugh I can only imagine how bad the traffic was heading out of KW and back to the main land. Glad you survived!

Your pictures are making me want to plan our trip down there in January. I cannot wait. My mom and step-dad rent a house in Islamorada for 2 weeks then head to KW for the 1/2 marathon. Yes, they plan vacations around races…. even in their 60′s.

Hope you enjoyed your trip!

9 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Adorable post! Glad you made it home safe!

10 Amelia September 7, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Happy Anniversary to you girls! You guys seem like you have a wonderful friendship. :)
Glad you had a good time on your trip to the Keys!

11 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) September 7, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I am going to stack my pancakes the next time I have them – looks so good!

12 Nicci@NiftyEats September 8, 2009 at 12:00 am

Great way to end a vacation. You do have a great guy for doing the driving. Happy Friendship Anniversary to you guys also.

13 Mica September 8, 2009 at 12:07 am

Props to Derek for making that drive, though it appears that he had some help (sort of?) from Maddie!

Happy Anniversary to you and Caitlin! I love reading about your blog-running-real-life friendship!

14 ari September 8, 2009 at 12:37 am

too bad noles lost :(

15 caitlin September 8, 2009 at 7:23 am

naw, GO CANES

16 WholeBodyLove September 8, 2009 at 2:03 am

Those nachos look awesome! I would never have thought to use the taboule. Isn’t it crazy to think of all that has happened in a year’s time?

17 sarah (ghost world) September 8, 2009 at 5:39 am

oh i remember that blue heaven place! i was there a few years back and loved everything, including the roosters milling around! YUM.

your positive attitude is awesome. i love how you even seemed very chill and carefree about the traffic (which looked horrendous!).

sorry about your football loss, though :) i’m sure caitlin’s husband is happy!!

18 inmytummy September 8, 2009 at 6:16 am

Cute pics of you and Caitlin. It’s really cool that you guys became friends through blogging. And those pancakes look delicious.

19 Hangry Pants September 8, 2009 at 6:28 am

Happy Friendship Anniversary. :D

20 Lauren September 8, 2009 at 7:10 am

I love when you are happily surprised with a great side salad. SOmetimes you never know what you are going to get and often its just a peice of brown lettuce with a lame tomato wedge, but other times, they blow you out of the water with something great! :)

21 lessonstolearn September 8, 2009 at 7:29 am

Such a great friendship story! I love that you both remembered the day! (I guess blogging helps with remembering important dates!)

22 Kristin September 8, 2009 at 7:57 am

I understand long drives, that’s for sure- it’s great to be the passenger and get to snooze though!

Your Meghann-style pancakes look delicious! And do do nachos! I love football-watching food!

xo
K

23 Asif September 8, 2009 at 8:12 am

Glad you got home safe and sound and Happy BF Anniversary to you and Caitlin! You guys are so cute! ;)…

24 Haleigh September 8, 2009 at 8:17 am

Those pancakes look awesome! Yay for good friends :)

25 Susan September 8, 2009 at 8:41 am

TOO CUTE!!! One great thing about blogging is that you can always go back to the exact day and see photos of it. Those nachos look great too. Using tabbouleh was a fabulous idea. Also good on nachos – bruschetta :)

26 MelissaNibbles September 8, 2009 at 9:22 am

Yummy nachos! Happy friendship anniversary. You two have had quite an amazing year. Congrats!

27 Laura September 8, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Awww how nice! Happy Friend Anniversary. So far I haven’t met anyone from my area but hope that a new friend will come along via the blog soon.

~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

28 Jenna September 8, 2009 at 1:16 pm

i totally agree with the pancakes, they are just so boring with just syrup. adding yogurt and fruit makes them so much better

29 Ali September 8, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I love the pictures of Maddie sleeping. I remember when my dog was a little pup and slept all the time! SO CUTE! We totally got stuck in Holiday traffic too, pain in the neck! Looks like you made the most of it!

I love that blogging got you such a good friend! Sweet!

30 Melissa S. September 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm

i totally remember when all those race photos were taken…and still have that one of you and caitlin that you guys sent in my care package to CA! I miss you ladies!