Key West Adventure Day 2

by Meghann on September 6, 2009

Just another day in paradise.

DSCF2010.JPG

We had another early start this morning. My parents had rented a boat in Big Torch Key for the morning and we needed to be at the docks at 8:00am.

Breakfast was broken up into two parts.

In the car on the way to the docks I had a Peach Chobani and a Granola Sample.

Once we reached the docks I had this nice big juicy apple.

DSCF2006.JPG

We loaded the boat and were off.

DSCF2004.JPG

DSCF2011.JPG

After such crappy weather yesterday, we really lucked out today with beautiful skies.

DSCF2035.JPG

Maddie came along as well. She did great until towards the end when she got a little sea sick and let’s just say she fed the fishies a few times. It was really bumpy and her poor tummy could not handle much of it.

DSCF2009.JPG

Gearing up

DSCF2022.JPG

DSCF2017.JPG

I was excited I got to actually test out the new underwater digital camera today!

DSCF2051.JPG

DSCF2048.JPG

DSCF2047.JPG

DSCF2041.JPG

DSCF2059.JPG

After a couple hours of exploring I needed to refuel.

DSCF2064.JPG

I had 2 or 3 handfuls of these yummy Jalapeno Pretzel Nuggets.

DSCF2065.JPG

We headed back to shore around noon and were all starving for lunch. On the way back to Key West we pulled into a cute little restauraunt called the Boondocks.

I ordered the Greek Salad with Blackened Chicken.

After two days full of seafood I decided I needed a little break, though their seafood options all sounded fresh and delicious.

I couldn’t resist having another 1/4 of the Key Lime Sugar Cookie from yesterday when we got back to the B&B.

While the rest of my family napped at their hotel, Derek and I decided to do a little exploring. We walked up and down Duval Street with Maddie in tow.

Around 4:00 we were very thirsty and stopped at a smoothie shop for some refreshment.

I loved how they made the smoothie right in front of me, so I knew exactly what went in it.

I ordered the Peach Yogurt and watched as the guy put Frozen Peaches, Yogurt and Soy milk in a blender.

At first I thought it needed some honey or something sweet, but after a few sips I was really enjoying it. Yum!

We found a spot for $1 Drafts, but I was too full from my smoothie to partakes. It was still nice to sit back and relax after all our walking.

Once my Fam did rise from their nap we headed to the very reccomended Blue Heaven for dinner.

We had a wait for our table and there was plenty to keep us occupied.

Once seated Maddie jumped from lap to lap before promptly passing out.

Blue Heaven’s menu is short and sweet. After debating back and forth I went with the Vegetable Platter.

When the plate was set in front of me I was very happy with my selection.

Now I see what all the hype is about, this place rocks! My meal was very flavorful and something I would happily order again. Great recommendation everyone!

For dessert the 7 of us decided to split a Key Lime Pie on a stick just to say we’ve tried it.

I liked it!

I think out of the 7 of us I had the majority of the bites. πŸ™‚

We bid farewell to my parents and aunt and uncle and headed to Willie T’s for some drinks.

The whole bar was covered in $1 bills.

Pretty crazy.

Josh and Derek ordered real drinks…

while I stuck with soda water.

It was great to catch up with my twin bro. He has the best stories to tell from his current rotation at the trauma center. Let’s just say I’m thankful I am not a medical student.

There was no chance for Maddie at this point. After such a long day she could barely keep her head up.

That was our sign to call it a night, it was also right about the time it started raining. Perfect timing.

I can’t believe we have to drive home tomorrow. So not cool. Atleast we still have the morning to goof off.

I hope everyone is having a great labor day weekend!

1 Julia September 6, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Maddie is so cute, that’s great that you got to bring her along everywhere!

Your new camera is AWESOME! I may have some serious camera envy : )

That Key Lime Cookie and Key Lime Pie on a Stick look soooo good – Key Lime is one of my FAVE pies!

Hope the drive home goes ok!

2 Kat September 6, 2009 at 11:10 pm

What an amazing day…. Maddie is sooo cute!
That vegetable platter is impressively delicious looking. I was a vegetarian for 8 years and had so much trouble finding restaurants that could serve up a hearty, tasty, and exciting vegetable option. But rice + beans + plantains + veggies? What could be better?!

3 angieinatlanta September 6, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Key lime pie on a stick!? I mean, isn’t everything better on a stick?

Your dinner looks so good! I think I have a plan a Key West trip asap!

4 Fallon September 6, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Your dog is so sweet! She is a great dog/trooper taking her everywhere!

And that vegetable platter looked delicious. I would of picked that as well! When on vacation so much heavy food gets tiring right away, and you get that bloated feeling. I always beg for a salad and vegetables. LOL I always feel better afterwards!

5 Lizzy September 6, 2009 at 11:32 pm

your underwater camera is such a success! πŸ™‚

I had a greek salad for din last nigh and it def didn’t look like that, yours looks amazing and the added chicken is perf! πŸ™‚

enjoy your day tomorrow and be safe coming home πŸ™‚

6 Tay September 6, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Awww what an adorable little Maddie! It’s funny – your twin bro looks so much like Kelly! Have a great rest of your vacation!

7 Emily September 6, 2009 at 11:40 pm

That’s a gorgeous dress, is it from J.Crew?

Key lime pie on a stick sounds wonderful; one time in the Keys I had a key lime pie milkshake that was kind of the best thing ever.

8 Sheri September 6, 2009 at 11:43 pm

That Key Lime pie on a stick looks so good! I must say you and Derek make such a cute couple!

I know we leave tomorrow for home from our weekend away too..it kind of sucks!

9 alex September 6, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Yum- key lime on a stick!!! I wonder how I could make that at home…. Hmmm.
Loved the underwater shots- those tropical fish were just hanging out with you!

10 Melanie September 6, 2009 at 11:47 pm

What kind of underwater digital did you buy? I’ve been thinking about getting one for an upcoming vacation.

11 sam September 6, 2009 at 11:47 pm

“This was a thousand times better then those retarded reusable underwater cameras from Wal-Mart. I think I’m in love!”

Meghann, please think about the words you use…. ‘retarded’ is no where near appropriate in this sentence and situation! It can be considered offensive, just like people toss around the word “gay.” Thanks.

12 Nicci@NiftyEats September 7, 2009 at 12:13 am

Snorkeling looks like so much fun. I’d be scared of all those dollars bills…is there smoking inside that place?! lol

13 Andrea September 7, 2009 at 12:26 am

Willie T’s has the best Mojitos!!!!

14 Donna September 7, 2009 at 2:09 am

Key West looks wonderful! I love your vaca eat choices.. somewhat indulgent, yet also a tad healthy. Also impressed with your constraint with adult bevies… Great motivation that a little goes a long way. Also, I have been reading (lurkin) for some quite time and I am sure Meghann meant no disrepect in her comment in regard to the camera. These phrases are unfortunatley so over-used that they do sometimes slip without thought!

15 annie September 7, 2009 at 2:23 am

i seriously love you and maddie together!!! you guys look soo sweet together.

16 Amy September 7, 2009 at 7:03 am

Hello!

I’m sorry Maddie got sick! I would have too! I love to dive and snorkel, but have a hard time being on top of the water! She’s adorable.

I’m glad to see your dad’s Gator shirt! I was born and raised in Gainesville and got a couple degrees from UF. My family is still there and I hope to make it for a visit in 2010. How much smack talk goes on between your family and boyfriend? How can you date a FSU fan?! πŸ˜‰

Thanks for keeping us posted even while on vacation, Amy

17 Susan September 7, 2009 at 7:17 am

Ha! Dollar bills are definitely an interesting decor choice! πŸ˜› And I would think tryingout all the key lime treats while in the Keys would be a must πŸ˜‰ Have a safe trip back!

18 lessonstolearn September 7, 2009 at 7:34 am

That camera is great! My husband and I go to Belize to snorkel and a camera like that would be a great addition to our trips!

Looks like a great weekend! What a fun family you have!

19 Matt September 7, 2009 at 7:47 am

Sound like a killer day! Sorry you have to drive back tomorrow!

20 talesfromtwocities September 7, 2009 at 8:08 am

I love Key West – I’ve been twice, but the last time was 8 years ago! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

21 Kristin September 7, 2009 at 8:09 am

That looks like a delicious greek salad, I think it’s a good choice!

And key lime pie on a stick?!?! YUM!

Sounds like you’re having tons of fun! And your underwater cam pics are awesome!

xo
K

22 biz319 September 7, 2009 at 8:09 am

Glad the weather turned out for you – my husband and I had our honeymoon in Key West – great people watching!

23 One year no diets! September 7, 2009 at 8:27 am

I’m so glad you had a good day, and what a bummer that you have to leave so soon! I went to Key West this winter, and it was during a weird cold snap in February, so I didn’t get to enjoy nearly as much as you are! Have fun!

24 MarathonVal September 7, 2009 at 8:43 am

I’m loving the vacation pix! Have a wonderful time! πŸ™‚

25 VeggieGirl September 7, 2009 at 8:50 am

Never knew that key lime pie on-a-stick existed – looks goooood πŸ™‚

HAPPY LABOR DAY!!

26 Rosey Rebecca September 7, 2009 at 9:03 am

Your whole day looks wonderful!! I want to go there!

27 Krista September 7, 2009 at 9:10 am

LOVE those underwater pictures!

28 Jenna September 7, 2009 at 9:23 am

what a great vacation meghann!
i am glad you had tons of fun πŸ™‚
jenna

29 amanda @ fake ginger September 7, 2009 at 9:32 am

Dinner looked awesome! I could really go for those black beans.

30 Brandi September 7, 2009 at 9:35 am

i’m glad you and your family are having a great time! it looks like the weather was perfect and like Maddie is getting in all kinds of adventures πŸ™‚

can your Dad root for Florida AND FSU? Isn’t that against the rules? πŸ™‚

31 Hannah September 7, 2009 at 10:19 am

“This was a thousand times better then those retarded reusable underwater cameras from Wal-Mart.”

Meghann, I realize this was probably a slip, but please try to be cognizant of your word choice – I’m sure many of your readers have an emotional response to that word, and it shouldn’t be used so flippantly.

32 Jaci September 7, 2009 at 11:04 am

I have loved reading about your trip! My family and I used to go to Key West a lot and I never liked it…I want to go again now and “re-explore!”

33 Allison September 7, 2009 at 11:47 am

What an absolute blast! You seriously take the most FUN trips! πŸ™‚ I love that Maddie got to go everywhere with you (sorry she got sea sick) Glad you are having so much fun!!! πŸ™‚

34 Courtney September 7, 2009 at 11:48 am

DAYUM, that looks like good times. πŸ™‚ I also hate those retarded cameras from Walmart. I had to experience it in all it’s glory while in Hawaii, too. πŸ™ Never again.

35 stefe1202 September 7, 2009 at 2:29 pm

That Key Lime Pie thing looks amazing. Mmmm mmmm How do I get some?????

36 Bec September 7, 2009 at 2:37 pm

glad you got a little nicer weather today, the digital underwater cameras are definitely way better then any disposable verson

37 cookinfanatic September 7, 2009 at 2:55 pm

You have got to try the Blond Giraffe for key lime pie and The Key West Winery if you have time — they do tastings and their wine is phenomenal… it’s made out of various fruits/veggies aside from grapes and is fantastic!! We got some white sangria when we were there and also tried wines made from guava, mango, carrots (?!) and some spicy wine too!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ SOOOO GOOOOD AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

38 Laura September 7, 2009 at 3:21 pm

What a glorious vacation! The Keys look awesome. Have fun!

Cheers!
~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

39 Paige@ RunningAroundNormal September 7, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Your boat trip looked awesome! What a long day for little Maddy. Too bad she got seasick πŸ™

40 dragonfly180 September 7, 2009 at 5:35 pm

love the underwater pics! they are great!

41 Lauren September 7, 2009 at 8:16 pm

What a great little trip. I love that Maddie is allowed to go almost everywhere with you. What over place is so dog-friendly?

Hope you have a safe trip home!