Key West Adventure Day 1

by Meghann on September 6, 2009

We finally made it to BEAUTIFUL Key West!

We started the second half of our trip very early this morning. Caffeinated beverages were a requirement.

I ordered a Non-Fat Awake Tea Latte with 2 pumps of Pumpkin Spice from Starbucks.

When I ordered my drink the guy kind of looked thrown off. I guess Pumpkin Spice Awake Tea Lattes aren’t very big at that particular Starbucks? He commended me for inventing a great sounding drinking. πŸ™‚

The caffeine kicked in immediately and I spent most of the ride chit chatting Derek’s ear off. πŸ™‚

One of the best parts of the trip was watching the sunrise over the water.

Gorgeous!

We stopped in Key Largo for a pre-packed breakfast.

I had packed each of us a Chobani yogurt, sample pack of cereal and fruit to share.

Our bowls were actually recycled plastic containers you purchase Publix fruit salads in. Derek had the brilliant idea to mix up his granola and yogurt by putting the lid on the container and shaking it.

Of course I had to copy him.

However, mine didn’t work quite as well with coating.

It was still very yummy.

The rest of our drive looked alot like this.

Water, water all around. πŸ™‚

I got snacky right before we arrived and had 1/2 an Amazing Grass Chocolate Superfood Bar.

Eventually we did make it to Key West!

As we were walking to the Southernmost Point, we walked by a group of teenage boys. One pointed to Maddie and goes “Look! It’s the southernmost Jack Russel!” I found it amusing.

Our little B&B is so cute and I’m happy to say I was able to nail down some free Wi-Fi. πŸ™‚

After a little unpacking we met up with the rest of my family for some lunch.

Unfortunately all hell broke loose and it started to pour. We did what we could and found a great restaurant by the marina that allowed us to sit with a dog outside.

This bar looks like it would be so much fun in clearer weather. The whole restaurant was set up outside and it even had its own pool!

When in Rome….

Mmmm…. Blue Moon. πŸ˜‰

The table started with 1/2 a dozen raw oysters to share.

I had 2 with cocktail sauce.

I seriously LOVE raw oyster. I think they are honestly better raw then cooked.

For my lunch I ordered the Mahi Mahi Sandwich with Sweet Potato Fries on the side.

I was told this fish was caught fresh and the sweet potato are cut by hand. ALl I have to say was this thing was amazing!

Derek ordered the Club Sandwich, which was as tall as his hand.

He raved about his food as well. In fact everyone at the table enjoyed their meal and all said we would be sure to come back next time we were in the Keys.

Luckily the rain did clear up and we were able to explore the marina some.

We headed back to my parent’s hotel and decided to do a little snorkeling. Unfortunately my swim suit was safe and sound back at my room at the B&B. My Mom was kind enough to let me borrow one of her sexy one pieces.

Hot, right?

I was sad because also safe and sound back at the room was my brand new underwater camera that would have come in very handy for our snorkeling adventure. Oh well.

We snorkeled for well over an hour and burned some serious energy. I could not believe that it was already 5:30 by the time we were finished! Derek and I had to race back to our B&B to change and make it to the famous Mallory Square for sunset.

This place was packed with fellow Key West visitors clammering for a view of the Key’s version of the perfect sunset.

I have to admit it was pretty breathtaking.

The beautiful sunset signaled dinner time for the Island. My Aunt had spotted a sign earlier for $19.95 Florida Lobster dinners, so we decided to check it out.

Of course as soon as we were seated I changed my mind on the lobster and instead ordered the snow crabs with steamed asparagus.

And a little bit of Sweet Wheat Bread.

It had been a while since I had crab legs. They are a fun once in a blue moon treat that I really enjoyed eating.

The restaraunt we ate at doubles as a karaokee bar at night. My Mom signed each of us up for a little fun.

I had a few bites of this Key Lime Sugar Cookie I had bought earlier today while we were waiting to sing.

I was pretty nervous waiting for my name to be called.

I butchered Taylor Swift’s ‘Our Song’ and I promise to spare you the video Derek recorded of me doing so. It was al in good fun though and I probably would have gone up again and butchered another one in a heart beat.

My Mom is actually a really good singer and nailed ‘Ode to Billy Joe’

Way to go Mom!

We continued on to Hog’s Breath Saloon for after dinner drinks.

Somehow Derek bought a round of Tequila Shots for the table.

But I was good and just had a Sam Adam’s Summer Ale.

We said our good byes after we finished out drinks and Derek and I walked Duval Street back to our B&B.

Along the way we made a detour for the Ice Cream.

I had a delish small Mangrove Honey & Walnut Cone to end my first day in Key West.

Wow, that was a long post and a long day!!! All I want to do is curl up in bed, so I can wake up tomorrow and do it all over again.

Good night!!

1 Amari September 6, 2009 at 12:52 am

Key West looks amazing, I’m totally jealous! Way to celebrate with a Blue Moon, a favorite of mine! Starbucks Pumpkin Spice flavoring is great in any drink, why would anyone be suprised! πŸ™‚

2 Julia September 6, 2009 at 1:25 am

What an amazing day in Key West! I had no idea you could even fit that many fun things in one day!
You and Derek are too cute together! I’m sure you’ll have just as much fun tomorrow!

3 Sara September 6, 2009 at 1:38 am

Hi Meghann,
I read your blog often and I couldn’t help but notice that you are vacationing in my hometown (Key West)!

As a fellow foodie, I have some restaurant recommendations for you:

The Vegetarian Cafe on Southard St.
Blue Heaven in Bahama Village
Ambrosia Sushi near South Beach
Cafe Sole

These were some of my favorite restaurants in town.

Enjoy your trip!

4 Tay September 6, 2009 at 4:43 am

Ahh what a fun Day 1!! That’s a small cone?!?! It looks huge! haha. major props to you for getting up on stage! I would never have been able to handle it. Have fun tomorrow!

5 caitlin September 6, 2009 at 5:47 am

what a wonderful vacation it looks like you are having. i am tremendously jealous. πŸ™ i love the florida keys! i haven’t been since i was 19 and it was a blast. i love it that you karaoked!! πŸ™‚ hehe

off to do 11.0 miles with your sister, megan, and kelly. i wish you were here!!!!

6 MegaNerd September 6, 2009 at 7:34 pm

her sister and kelly are the same person! LOL…

meghann, we missed you this monring! I’m so jealous of you in the keys, looks like you are having so much fun! πŸ˜‰

7 Leah September 6, 2009 at 5:48 am

I LOVE your white dress! too cute.

8 Erin September 6, 2009 at 5:53 am

I’d never thought of pumpkin spice in tea but I’m TOTALLY trying that next time!

9 Susan September 6, 2009 at 7:04 am

Pumkpin spice is awesome in chai tea too! πŸ™‚

All the fresh seafood looks wonderful! And that sunset is breathtaking. Have fun today!

10 Hangry Pants September 6, 2009 at 7:35 am

Looks like another wonderful vacation for you and your family! I love it. And you are so brave to do karaoke alone!!!! I’ve done it, but with at least one other person. Awesome. πŸ˜€

11 carolinebee September 6, 2009 at 7:37 am

So fun!! Your hair looks great i love it πŸ˜€ Could Kelly not make it?? Bummer but looks like a great vacay!

12 Anne P September 6, 2009 at 8:11 am

wow, i’m impressed you did karaoke sober! haha. gorgeous sunset, and i really like your hair wavy like that!

xoxo

13 angieinatlanta September 6, 2009 at 8:36 am

Awesome pics! Especially the one piece hotness! πŸ™‚

Seriously, kudos to you for having the bravery to do karaoke; I’m always soooo scared! And I love how Derek seems to just fit in with your fam! You guys seem great together!

14 Rosey Rebecca September 6, 2009 at 8:38 am

Honey & Walnut sounds like the best ice cream combo ever!

15 amanda @ fake ginger September 6, 2009 at 8:38 am

You guys are seriously the cutest couple ever! Looks like you’re having a ton of fun. Can’t wait to see what else you’ve got planned!

16 VeggieGirl September 6, 2009 at 8:57 am

β€œLook! It’s the southernmost Jack Russel!”

Hahahaha too funny πŸ˜€

17 MelissaNibbles September 6, 2009 at 9:00 am

Looks like so much fun. I love the southernmost jack russell! Enjoy your day!

18 Katey September 6, 2009 at 9:08 am

Looks like an amazing first day! I wish I had some of that yummy Ice cream πŸ™‚

19 Evan Thomas September 6, 2009 at 9:10 am

Key west looks so fun. I’m jealous, it’s not that nice up north, lol.

20 Leianna September 6, 2009 at 9:11 am

Looks like an amazing time, especially watching the sunset!

21 Jenna September 6, 2009 at 9:18 am

wow, what a great vacation you are having meghann!
i wish i was in the key west. hope you have another fantastic day today!

jenna

22 Krista September 6, 2009 at 9:21 am

What a fantastic sounding day and beautiful picture’s!

23 Kristin September 6, 2009 at 9:25 am

You look stunning in that white dress!

And YUM on all of the eats- especially the oysters, because I come from R.I. and we looove our oysters!

xo
K

24 dragonfly180 September 6, 2009 at 9:28 am

looks like it was a really great trip! the pic of the sunset was beautiful and definitely worth your rushing over for.

25 Lauren September 6, 2009 at 9:39 am

It looks like such a fun vacation! I’ve been to the Hog’s Breath Saloon when I was in Key West. Key West is such a fun place. Hope you are enjoying yourself!

26 Emily September 6, 2009 at 9:43 am

So glad you made it safely. Looks like you, Derek, and the fam are having an awesome time!

27 shawna September 6, 2009 at 9:47 am

What a cute dress!!

Looks like you had a great time, and I think you should definitely share that video πŸ™‚

28 Allison September 6, 2009 at 9:58 am

Pumpkin Spice Awake Tea Lattes might change my life πŸ™‚ haha.

Looks like an awesome trip!

29 suzanne September 6, 2009 at 10:14 am

Thank you for sharing your beautiful photo’s!

30 ksgoodeats September 6, 2009 at 10:24 am

You guys look great! Love the idea of shaking the yogurt mix!!

Blue Moon! Excellent choice πŸ™‚ Enjoy your time there!

31 Erica September 6, 2009 at 10:32 am

ahhhh! I love Key West! So much fun. You look absolutely gorgeous in that white dress! So many yummy eats and I love blue moon! Enjoy the rest of your trip

32 foodieinthecity September 6, 2009 at 10:42 am

It looks like you are having a fabulous time. You look goregous in that white dress too!

The pictures are absolutely beautiful, I want to be there :).

I am a sucker for sweet potato fries, those look scrumptious.

Have a wonderful rest of your trip!

33 Jess September 6, 2009 at 11:46 am

That Key West Lime Shoppe is famous and was featured on the Food Network! I just watched the repeat a few nights ago. Cool! Have fun!

34 Katrina (gluten free gidget) September 6, 2009 at 11:52 am

I’ve never been to Key West, but it looks like you guys are having a blast! YAY for long weekends!

35 Kate September 6, 2009 at 12:17 pm

That is my favorite ice cream place in Key West, it’s just down Duval from the condo we usually stay in. The mango sorbet is really good.

I also love the restaurant Blue Heaven: http://blueheavenkw.homestead.com/Blue_Heaven_Restaurant_Key_West.html

Have fun!

36 Kat September 6, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Meghann,
I’m from Miami and your post makes me miss home! I love Key West and all of the great sea food there! Have so much fun- you look beautiful in your white dress!

37 Kelly September 6, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Haha love that you are wearing Mom’s swimsuit. Looks like you guys are having lots of fun! πŸ™‚

38 Melinda September 6, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Cool blog. I was just looking at other peoples blogs and came across yours. My mom was just down there a few weeks ago so many of your pictures looked familiar. I love that my mom has an iPhone since she can update me with pictures when she sees something cool. Looks like you are having a fun time and fit a lot into one day. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

39 Mellissa September 6, 2009 at 3:25 pm

This looks like a great trip! Hopefully Maddie will “remember” her great trip.

40 Nicci@NiftyEats September 6, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Wow you and Derek are having a blast. I can’t wait till I go on my next vacay. Snow crab is my #1 favorite sea food. I’ll have to check out Key West next time I visit Florida…it’s been a couple years.

41 Angela (Run Study Eat) September 6, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Aww! You and you’re hubby are too cute. I want some of that honey and walnut ice cream!

42 Emily September 6, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I’m so jealous your in Key West! My grandpa actually owns a hotel there so I used to go every year for spring break. I’m glad to see you’ve already been to mallory square- did you see the fun street performers? they rock! As for restaurants, as someone I see already recommended- Blue Heaven is a must!! Go for breakfast or dinner, its so good! Last time I was there they had a yummy brown rice and veggie dish and also their yellowtail snapper is amazing! I always go to flamingo ice cream too, so good! Have an amazing time, I’m jealous!!

43 Melissa S. September 6, 2009 at 7:06 pm

dude…sooooooooo jealous of you RIGHT NOW. i would totally be there rather than where i am…and hot one piece btw. πŸ˜‰

44 Meg September 6, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Looks like you all are having an amazing time! Check out that ice cream! YUM!

45 Danielle September 7, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I read your blog every now and than and I want to thank you for the Awake Tea Latte with pumpkin spice syrup idea!! I tried it today and am absolutely in love with it!! Key West is such a fantastic place to visit and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay πŸ™‚

46 Annthea Vining September 23, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Mangrove Honey & Walnut is my all-time favorite flavor of ice cream. I live in Seattle and fantasize about this Key West delight all the time. Between this & my daily dose of the Blonde Giraffe’s chocolate-dipped frozen key lime pie on a stick, Key West is a danger to my vacationing waistline!

47 Marianne October 3, 2009 at 4:18 am

I use the “shaking up” trick to evenly disperse salad dressing on salads that I’ve packed in tupperware to take with me somewhere. Works perfectly, unless the container is packed too tight.

And I’m with you on the raw oyster front – I love them raw, but not as much cooked. Unless they are smoked oysters, then I can eat them like candy.