more ยป" />

Welcome to Miami

by Meghann on September 4, 2009

“Buenvenidos a miami

Bouncin in the club where the heat is on

All night on the beach till the break of dawn

Im goin to miami

Welcome to miami”

WIll Smith anyone?

Nope, I’m not in the Keys yet. Instead of making the 8 hour drive tonight Derek and I decided to break it up. So we drove 4 today to Miami and will wake up super early to drive the last half tomorrow.

Currently we are chilling at my twin bro’s apartment. He is graciously letting us crash for the night before hitting the road again. Which is great since he is already in Key West. Thanks again Josh!

The car ride down was long and boring, but aren’t all road trips?

At least I had a very sexy chaffuer to keep me company. ;)

Maddie was a bustle of energy for the first part. She could not seem to get comfy and kept wandering between Derek and I.

Eventually she did nestle in on top of me and we napped together.

Along the way I dug into some Guacamole I had made with 1/2 an Avacado that was going to be eaten or trashed.

Kashi Crackers for dippers.

Derek and I also shared this nice fruit bowl of Apples, Grapes & Strawberries.

I had a few grapes and apple slices while Derek mysteriously finished it off. It was like we switched places for the moment.

After being stuck in awful rush hour and bad weather traffic, I was ready to be out of the car once we reached Miami. Despite my snacks I was also STARVING! I was cranky & annoyed, I needed food and fast.

Luckily, my brother lives within walking distance of a very popular Spanish restaurant.

I was very happy when warm pressed Cuban bread was delivered to our table as soon as we sat down.

I had one slice and immediately felt better.

For my dinner I ordered the Maduros Encrusted FIsh, which translated to Jumbo Fried Fish. This thing was huge!

When I read encrusted I was picturing something a little different, but I didn’t care. I was hangry!

With the fish I had a side of Vegetables and Yucca.

I ate all the veggies and about 1/2 the Yucca.

I could only manage about 1/3 of the fish.

Derek ordered the steak, which was also meant for more then one person. (what you don’t see in the picture is the huge cup of black beans that he poured on top of that rice)

I was shocked when I looked up after I was finished with my meal and realized Derek had cleaned his plate!

The boy sure does love his Black Beans & Rice!

My sweet tooth was really hitting me hard after dinner. I knew I had to order a scoop of Sergio’s homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.

This stuff was amazing. It tasted just like the fresh Ice Cream right out of a ice cream making. So good and so rich. Derek and I shared this and but share I mean he had two bites and I licked the bowl clean. :)

Now I’m stuffed, happy and ready for bed. We have a very early wake up call tomorrow and I just can not wait. I’m ready t o be in the Keys already!!

Good night!!!

1 janetha September 4, 2009 at 10:03 pm

love your little navigator :) that ice cream looks so freaking amaaazing!!!

2 Lizzy September 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Long car rides can either be so much fun or so boring. sorry that you had such yucky weather and traffic to get through! such a bummer. but atleast u had some eats, and a good dinner to compensate!!!! hope tomorrow goes well! :)

3 Meg C. September 4, 2009 at 10:18 pm

hahaaa i totally rocked out to that will smith song in like 8th grade. it’s terrible – but kinda awesome.

4 VeggieGirl September 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Haha love the Will Smith song flashback :-D

Ahh, sorry about the weather/traffic situation – but I’m glad that your evening is going well!!

5 Leianna September 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Thats a lot of good food!
Great car snacks too. I’ve only been to Miami once and that was for a cruise on the Queen Mary 2, but would love to go explore the city some day!

6 Jessica September 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm

If I show my Cuban husband those pictures of dinner he is going to die. We moved from FL to WA and there is NO good Cuban up here. Have fun in the Keys!

7 angieinatlanta September 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Oh my gosh, I adore Sergio’s!

My bf is Cuban and from Miami and whenever we go down there to visit his family, a Sergio’s feast is always in order! Cuban bread is the best!

8 Melissa S. September 4, 2009 at 11:08 pm

ahhh…the drive from orlando to miami…i remember that.

and i’m going to be reliving the keys vicariously through you this weekend…so jealous…brad and i seriously need to go back again!

but yes…Will Smith all the way baby!!! ahhahahahha

9 Nicci@NiftyEats September 4, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Wow, Huge steak but it looks great! never had Cuban bread…looks yummy though.

10 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 4, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Wow – those dinners are HUGE! Your veggies and yucca look so yummy, but that ice cream is making me want a biiiig scoop from my freezer! I hope that your travels go smoothly tomorrow :-)

11 Casey @ Double Scooped September 4, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Ahh! So funny the BF and I will be on our way to the keys from Melbourne tomorrow at 4:30 am!! We’re staying in Islamorada.

There’s an awesome breakfast place on your way if you’re interested – it’s called Mangrove Mike’s. We’ll probably be there!! Plus, that awesome pizza place I mentioned the other day on the way to Key West.

12 megzzwinsatlife September 4, 2009 at 11:31 pm

not going to li that song is on my running mix… hehe… have a lot of fun in key west meghann..

13 emielli September 5, 2009 at 12:19 am

Looks like a fun trip is in the works! Love the Mexican food, I`m craving some good Mexican cuisine.

I was stuck in traffic for almost 2 hours today (for a 45 minute trip). There was the general holiday and rush hour traffic, plus several accidents and CONSTRUCTION! I`m not exactly sure what they were thinking by doing construction on this particular weekend. I`m lucky that I had enough gas to make it until I could get off the highway. I would have hated to run out of gas and hold traffic up even more.

14 dee (the apple hill adventurer) September 5, 2009 at 12:46 am

mmm guac … im gonna make some tomorrow i think

i have never tried cuban food before, it looks … interesting haha

15 Julia September 5, 2009 at 1:06 am

Road trips are sooo much better when you have a hot male in the car with you ; )

Have fun in the car tomorrow! I wish I was heading to the Key’s for the weekend, instead of studying in my apartment!

16 Liz September 5, 2009 at 1:39 am

Woah, that’s portion distortion for ya at that restaurant! It looks sooo delish though. Sounds like such a fun trip!

17 peony September 5, 2009 at 2:37 am

i love how much food guys can eat :D

18 Susan September 5, 2009 at 6:39 am

i don’t know what it is, but road trips always make me so hungry!! It’s not like sitting in the car is overly taxing or anything :P Looks like a great meal though. Homemade ice cream sounds good!

19 Shannon September 5, 2009 at 6:49 am

8 hours in the car is much more tolerable when its broken up into parts…with a yummy looking dinner in between.

Maddie is just the cutest! Have a great vacation weekend!

20 Kristin September 5, 2009 at 6:55 am

I love Will Smith- great car music ;)

Your road eats look delicious- guac is a great idea on the road!!

And I am drooling reading your dinner… I’ve never had cuban food before, but it looks fantastic!

xo
K

**switched to wordpress! http://kristinsnibbles.wordpress.com**

21 Lauren September 5, 2009 at 7:13 am

Hope the remainder of your drive goes well today! Have a fantastic time in Key West. It is literally one of my favorite places to visit; just so fun and historic at the same time. I love the architecture, the galleries, the restaurants, and of course the water. (And the many cute clothing shops…). I also highly recommend visiting the aquarium…my boyfriend worked there for a couple summers, and it’s a very cool place to wander around.

Maddie is so cute!

22 Deb September 5, 2009 at 7:29 am

Looks like you are having a great time so far. Glad to see that Maddie is making the trip, a new adventure for her too! Derek is a hottie. Have fun in Key West!!!!

23 Rosey Rebecca September 5, 2009 at 7:57 am

Maddie is adorable! Hope the rest of your trip goes well. Your dinner looks so fun!

24 foodieinthecity September 5, 2009 at 8:31 am

Maddie’s little face just melts my heart :)

I’ve never really had Cuban food, but after seeing your dinner, I am craving it.

Have fun in the Keys!!

25 Madelin September 5, 2009 at 8:43 am

I can’t believe Maddie is so good in the car that is awesome :)

26 Lauren September 5, 2009 at 8:53 am

Haha, I always laugh when I see these HUGE portions at little restaraunts like this. It’s funny how you can go to the fanciest gormuet place and spend a fourtune for a pea sized dinner but then hit up a great little dive, pay 10 bucks for a humungo dinner and leave feeling soooo content! :) This is the way to go sometimes.

Have a safe drive. Take care hun!

27 amanda @ fake ginger September 5, 2009 at 9:39 am

You and Derek are so cute! Have fun on your vacation!

28 jenngirl September 5, 2009 at 10:08 am

Love your Barney Butter tshirt!! :)

Glad y’all are having a pretty good car trip so far, long trips can be rough, but when you have the right company, they’re doable.

29 Kiki (Run Kiki Run) September 5, 2009 at 10:27 am

have a great time! cant wait for the pictures!!

30 Jenna September 5, 2009 at 10:44 am

have a good car ride!

31 biz319 September 5, 2009 at 11:24 am

Hope the rest of your trip went okay today!

32 Brandi September 5, 2009 at 2:53 pm

i hope you’re having a great day! road trips are fun when you have company :)

33 busylittlelexi September 5, 2009 at 7:28 pm

great job eating healthy on the road. have a fun trip!
my bf has a gross man crush on will smith…lol if he read your blog he would appreciate the lyrics..lol

34 Jess September 8, 2009 at 7:30 pm

The best way to roadtrip is your bestie (or your man) and a pooch! Seriously.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned it before but Derrick looks just like my good friend Clint. I mean, it is scary. I actually thought for a moment, WTF how do Clint and Meghann know each other? haha.