Me Waste Food? Never!

by Meghann on September 3, 2009

I am happy to say Thursday is flying by! I can see Friday just over the horizon!

I am very jealous my parents are already on their way to Key West. I just have to remind myself I will be there before I know it!

Today’s mid-morning snack was a handful of Roasted Almonds.

IMG_1125

Mmmm…. roasted….

I still had Rice and Beans left over from last Friday and knew if I did not eat them for lunch today, then to the trash can they would go. You know me and wasting food just do not mix, so I themed a Mexican Salad around them.

IMG_1126

For my salad I had

• Rice & Beans
  • Spinach
  • Jicama
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Sprouts
  • Jalapenos
  • Avocado
  • Plain Oikos

IMG_1127

This bowl was much too small to hold this salad. I ended up making a little bit of a mess, but it was still delish!

IMG_1128

For some added crunch I had Whole Wheat Pita Chips.

IMG_1131

I am almost to the crumbs with these!

Now, my tummy is full and my tastebuds are happy. I guess that means its time to get back to work. 🙂

1 Leianna September 3, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Key West, so I can’t wait to see your pictures, it will always be on my travel to-do list!
Leftovers look delish!

2 Stephanie September 3, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I have the same strategy of avoiding wasted food – can’t stand to throw good stuff away. 🙂

3 fitforfree September 3, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I went to Key West a few years ago — have you ever been to Ernest Hemingway’s house? It’s covered with cats that are ancestors of his cats . . . so funny.

Love the kitchen sink salads – totally my style

4 brandi September 3, 2009 at 1:59 pm

i love big mexican salads like that. as long as there’s avocado, I’ll be there!

enjoy your afternoon!

5 Shion (Shi's Eating) September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Your salad looks nutritious and delicious! I always find it so satisfying when I eat food that would otherwise go to waste.

6 Britt September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Good use of leftovers!

One of my favorite restaurant in KW is Blue Heaven, they have the most amazing dessert there… Banana Heaven. Great food for any meal.

My favorite place for a drink, the After Deck at Louie’s Backyard. Beautiful spot.

7 Jenna September 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm

have fun in the key west!!

8 runeatrepeat September 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Great speed work this morning! I can’t wait to see the pics from Key West!

9 Mandy A September 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Thank goodness it’s Thursday already! I feel like this week is flying!

I’m with you… I’m not one for wasting food, either! That’s just wasted money!

Have fun in Key West! Safe travels!

10 Lauren September 3, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Which brand of pita chips do you eat? I am a stacy’s pita chips girl, and I like the multigrain, but I am not sure they are technically “whole wheat.”

11 cookinfanatic September 3, 2009 at 2:24 pm

That avocado is taunting me haha…. salad looks deelish!!!

12 Therese September 3, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Ok random comment but I saw the picture of your almonds and was like “Is that my picture?” It looked identical to the one I posted on my blog today 🙂

Anywho my husband gets on me because I am a smell and eat kinda girl instead of checking expiration dates. If it looks and smells find, good in my book!

13 Valerie September 3, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I’m the same way, I hate wasting food! One of my favorite things about your blog Meghann, is that you come up with the most creative ways to just throw everything together in one dish! Love it!

14 Elsa September 3, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I love Key West!! Have a great time!

15 foodieinthecity September 3, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Yayy, I get to go on a trip tomorrow too! It definitely helps the days go by quicker.

I find that if I have a trip planned, even if it is in a few months, it makes my weeks so much easier for some reason. Aka, an excuse to go on move adventures 😉

16 Kelly September 3, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Your slices of avocado are making me drill. 🙂

17 Erica September 3, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Thank you for the birthday wishes 🙂 That mexican salad looks jammin! Avocado is so yummy. I am hoping to have something similar tonight because we’re going to Moe’s (it probably won’ t be nearly as good as yours ;)). Have a blast in Key West. I went there for spring break and LOVED it

18 Lizzy September 3, 2009 at 3:36 pm

amazing lunch. i used to be the left over queen! what are your other fav ways to have leftovers made into something else?

19 Jenny September 3, 2009 at 4:19 pm

would be a crime to let that divine meal go to waste!

20 Chloe September 3, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I absolutely hate wasting food, I’m totally on the same page as you. My boyfriend and I are going on a cruise for a week and my #1 thought is “I must eat everything in the fridge before we go!”. Too funny.

21 courtlove111 September 3, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Your avocado pics are killing me! Need some avocado ASAP!!!
Have a great weekend!
Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

22 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 3, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Your salad looks mouthwatering. I love avocado in whatever I can put it in. Have you ever seen Alton Brown’s Cake Frosting recipe that uses avocado? I think it’s so cool because it’s green and full of healthy avocadoey fat – but I haven’t gotten to try it out yet.

23 inmytummy September 3, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I went to Key West on a cruise last year and it was awesome.

24 angieinatlanta September 3, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I’m the same way about food! I refuse to be wasteful! I have seriously stood over my kitchen sink before choking down something utterly disgusting just because I refuse to trash it!

Have fun in Key West! I’m jealous!

25 Lauren September 3, 2009 at 8:17 pm

SO happy that the weekend is almost here.

Oh goodness, end of the bag pita crumbs….you know what that means…excellent “crutons” for salads.

Have a great night!

26 Lauren September 4, 2009 at 4:05 am

SO happy that the weekend is almost here.

Have a great night!
BTW I love your blog!

27 cookinfanatic September 6, 2009 at 11:35 am

Oh I just love love love Key West, we were just there this past January! The food all looks amazing, and I totally agree with you on the oysters — they are SO good raw. Best I ever had was in Conneticut (my first time too!) and they were so fresh and delicious!