more ยป" />

A Perfect Salad

by Meghann on August 31, 2009

I have been on a roll today with good eats. For lunch I had a delicious burrito and dinner was this kick ass salad.

Does this not look restaurant quality? It certainly tasted that way!

My kick ass salad contained everything, but the kitchen sink.

Including:

• Spinach
  • Fresh Basil
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Jicama
  • Fresh Green Beans
  • Red Onion
  • Strawberries
  • Feta Cheese
  • Walnuts
  • Drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar, EVOO, & Lemon Juice
  • S&P

I think the fresh basil was really the key element that brought all the flavors together for this salad. I covered the dish with a very generous portion of basil and each bite contained a refreshing piece of it. Yum!

I discovered today I can never have enough Cherry Tomatoes. They’re like candy to my taste buds.

The cherry tomato addition to my salad was actually inspired by the generous portion I had for my snack this afternoon.

I paired the cherry tomatoes with some hummus for dipping.

They were sweet and refreshing. I really need to start purchasing cherry tomatoes on a regular basis.

For an after dinner treat I dug into my chocolate stash and discovered this Orange Spice Dark Chocolate Bar that had been in there far too long.

I ate half the bar and really enjoyed the little something extra the orange flavor gave the dark chocolate.

It is currently raining cats and dogs outside, which means its great weather for curling into bed early with a good book. Right now I am halfway through Julie & Julia. I am one of those people who sees the movie and then reads the book. Call me weird but if I like the movie then I’m always curious to read the extra details the book will provide.

If you see a good movie are you inspired to read the book? Or are you afraid you’ve already spoiled the ending? I hate surprises so I always read the end of the book anyways to see what happens. Spoiled endings don’t matter much to me. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 weightwatchingfoodie August 31, 2009 at 8:09 pm

that salad looks awesome. I put strawberries in my salad last week and my family thought I was crazy. lol.

Last night I added green grapes…YUM

2 Lizzy August 31, 2009 at 8:27 pm

That salad looks amazing, almost reminds me of the poppyseed one from panera. adding fruit to salads i think is amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚

have a wonderful night!

3 angieinatlanta August 31, 2009 at 8:29 pm

That salad looks AH-mazing!

I’m always a book first, movie second person…which often means I end up having to Netflix the movie!

4 Rosey Rebecca August 31, 2009 at 8:35 pm

That salad looks awesome! I love strawberries with balsamic vinegar! Yum!

I’ve wanted to read Julie & Julia since I saw the movie. I just haven’t gotten around to it!

5 foodieinthecity August 31, 2009 at 8:35 pm

That salad looks damn good, girl! I have a bangin’ salad packed for my lunch tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚

I love dark chocolate. I used to hate it, but now I think it has so much more flavor than milk chocolate. Great choice!

If I watch a good movie, I usually am game for reading the book. But it isn’t a definite must, since I already know the ending.

Have a wonderful night, Meghann!

6 Kate August 31, 2009 at 8:37 pm

I ADORE Green and Blacks chocolate, and the Maya Gold is defintiely the best. Yummy!

7 Britt August 31, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I just ate the yummiest cherry tomatoes for dinner, fresh from our crop share. So good!

I try to hold off on seeing movies if I know there is a book…. figure if the book is better I’d rather read it first.

8 Lauren August 31, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I love those days of all around good eats. What a way to start off your week.

I try to read the book first, but I usually get really anxious half way through and end up watching the movie. I’m almost done with My sisters Keeper and I need to finish it before the DVD comes out. Such a tear jerker, but I just can not put it down!

Hope you enjoy your rainy relaxed evening!

9 Jenny August 31, 2009 at 8:41 pm

that salad is straight up gourmet!

10 inmytummy August 31, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I never think to put strawberries in my salad at home but always enjoy it at restaurants.

I usually read the book first and then see the movie.

11 Sarah R August 31, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I was too focused on the walnuts and strawberries to see anything else in the salad. Looks yummy! I love cherry tomatoes as well. We have a couple of plants and the produced the sweetest little tomatoes I’ve ever had. Made the ones from the store seem tasteless. Enjoy your reading time!

12 Evan Thomas August 31, 2009 at 8:54 pm

That looks just like Elie Kreiger’s Strawberry mozzarella salad. it must have been great!

13 The Weight Loss Debutante August 31, 2009 at 8:58 pm

You have got me hungry again. I love the look of that salad.

KIM

P.s, I do the same thing as you with books and films. The film misses out so much all the time but sometimes I do prefer the film lol

14 Stephanie August 31, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I love strawberries in a salad! YUM! And I’m currently reading Julie & Julia as well! But, I’m one of those who has to read the book before I see the movie or I’ll ruin the book for me.

15 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 31, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Yum, I love salads with fruit and veggies and cheese!!!

16 Amelia August 31, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Wow that salad DOES look like restaurant quality!
I usually like to read the books before I see movies. But then the movies usually don’t match up to my expectations… I guess there’s always a tradeoff!

17 Matt August 31, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I just watch the movie ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Julie August 31, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I do the same thing! I can’t so excited if a book is getting good and I skip ahead paragraphs/chapter to see what happens. It so bad, but whateve! I do it with movies too…I totally new the 6th sence ending before I saw it. I think I looked it up online. I’m so impatient!

19 Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 31, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Beautiful salad…I’m such a fan of fruit in salad.
I do the whole book-then-movie thing, most of the time. Sometimes, I’ll like the movie so much I’ll have to read the book (the notebook, for example)

20 Yasmin August 31, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I agree on the cherry tomatoes. They are my new favorite veggie right now ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Whit August 31, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Pretty, pretty salad.

I like to read the book first, then watch the movie. Just the way I like to do things, it is.

22 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate August 31, 2009 at 9:51 pm

That salad is so pretty! Strawberries are so pretty next to the green of a salad.

I don’t mind reading a book after seeing a movie. They are usually different enough that the book still holds surprises.

23 caronae August 31, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Basil on a salad sounds so tasty! I think I’ll try it soon because we have like four basil plants! I’ve had the maya gold bar before, and it is indeed awesome. I love Green and Black’s chocolate!

24 Jenna August 31, 2009 at 10:07 pm

that salad looks like it should belong on the panera menu!!

25 Pearl August 31, 2009 at 10:07 pm

if i read the book first, then i can’t see the movie. because usually, i’m blown away by the book (which gives me my inspiration to SEE the movie), but because the descriptions and narratives can’t always be put into the movie, it detracts a little somethin’ from the book.

26 Emily August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I love that chocolate – its amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚

27 Christina August 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I’ve never heard of anyone who reads the ending of the book before the beginning! I don’t know about doing that (I like to be surprised) but maybe I’ll try watching a movie before reading a book. I usually do it vice versa and then of course hate the movie!

28 Marissa August 31, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Wow! What a great looking salad!

29 April August 31, 2009 at 10:47 pm

That salad looks fabulous! I”ve got tons of basil to use up, maybe I’ll have one tomorrow!

I’m definitely a read the book, then see the movie kinda girl.

30 broccolihut September 1, 2009 at 12:12 am

Mmm I love putting berries in salads, especially with a good quality cheese!
Call me lame, but I always insist on reading the book BEFORE I see the movie. In my experience, the book is almost always better. I guess it’s the English major in me:)

31 Julia September 1, 2009 at 12:41 am

I can’t wait to see Julie and Julia (I mean come on I have her name!).
That salad looked so good! I love fruity flavors in my salad!

32 Katy September 1, 2009 at 5:45 am

Hey Meghann! New commenter!

That salad looks so yummy.

Wow, I’m all the way in New Zealand, and my absolute fav chocolate is Maya Gold G&B! I just had half myself. Perfect 100 cal after dinner treat! Tip: I freeze my bars -I find they take longer to eat, and just melt slowly in your mouth. Sooooo good!

Take care ๐Ÿ™‚

33 Faith September 1, 2009 at 6:02 am

you reminded me i need to get me some jicama, i love that stuff!! im reading julie and julia before i go see the movie, its making me laugh so much! did u get to the bone marrow art yet? i love how they want to get a cow and “treat it well” :p

34 Anne September 1, 2009 at 7:28 am

I have exactly the same: I prefer to see the movie first, because otherwise I’ll be thinking about everything that’s missing or different than in the book. And yeah, not that much of a fan of surprises either, so I don’t mind knowing the ending of a book.

35 Haleigh September 1, 2009 at 8:14 am

What a colorful and fresh looking salad! I prefer to read the book first but there have been a few movies that I have seen and really enjoyed and then gone out and got the book afterward. I love chocolate with a hint of orange flavor, yum!

36 Meg September 1, 2009 at 8:33 am

Love the salad!

I have trouble reading book after watching the movie and vice versa because I don’t like to know what already happens in the end.

37 Elsa September 1, 2009 at 10:09 am

I am the same way. Movie first then book to get more of the details. I did that with Twilight and as tempted as I am to read New Mood I am waiting until the movie comes out.

38 Chelsea September 1, 2009 at 9:57 pm

I saw the movie, but dont really have the need to read the book. I dont know why. Maybe because I am also the person who cannot reread things because it’s too repetitive? I look forward to hearing which you like best!

39 savvyeats September 6, 2009 at 1:12 am

I *heart* the Maya Gold chocolate — amazing!