more ยป" />

Run Girls Run

by Meghann on August 30, 2009

I was up before the sun this morning to meet Kelly, Megan and Megan’s friend Debbie for an early morning run.

It was dark and I was still very sleepy as I pulled in to Blue Jacket Park at 6:30 this morning.

Luckily Kelly was bright eye and full of energy. I think we temporarily switched places. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Before the run I had 1/2 of Koka Moka ProBar.

I’ve never had a Pro Bar before and was surprised how filling just 1/2 of the bar was.

The flavor was great and it was the perfect size to keep me going through 10 miles.

The 10 miles went really well this morning. The 4 of us spent the whole time chatting and kept a pretty steady 9:30 pace for the majority of the run.

Running with the girls really has me pumped for future marathon training runs, especially when we get in the much higher milage. Kelly, Megan and I are all running the Disney marathon together in January and are hoping to do the longer runs together. They will be my lifesaver for those runs. ๐Ÿ™‚

During the run I felt myself dragging around mile 8 so I popped in 3 Clif Bloks. When I returned home I knew waffles were calling my name!

I bought this new mix at Whole Foods on Friday and added a tablespoon of Peanut Butter to the batter. Next time I would add more. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I topped my waffle with 1/2 a Peach & Strawberries that I mixed with more PB & syrup and microwaved for a minute. It was ooey gooey and perfect.

Yum!!

My parents are driving to Orlando today so that I can take advantage of their Costco membership. I plan to stock up on all things bulk. let’s just hope I don’t go too overboard. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 MegaNerd August 30, 2009 at 10:29 am

Loving the yawn photo. LOL.

Great run this morning, I’m so glad to have a great bunch of girls to do long runs with ๐Ÿ˜€

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 30, 2009 at 10:32 am

Going overboard and Costco go hand in hand ๐Ÿ™‚ It must be so nice having such great girls to run a whopping 10 miles with. Impressive!

3 MelissaNibbles August 30, 2009 at 10:38 am

Congratulations on the amazing run!

4 Evan Thomas August 30, 2009 at 10:43 am

Congrats on the run! If you ever get your hands on some PB flour, it’s great for adding flavor to waffle mixes

5 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 30, 2009 at 10:43 am

What a productive Sunday morning! I love getting workouts in bright and early!

6 Danielle August 30, 2009 at 10:45 am

Yea for group long runs! I usually do mine on my own but had my friend Meghan run 18 miles with me (she did 11 of the 18 since we met up later) and it was incredibly helpful.

Enjoy your Costco trip! I think hubby and I are going later today too ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Lizzy August 30, 2009 at 10:57 am

group runs are fun!!!!!! yay!

i love going to costco have fun!!!

8 Simone August 30, 2009 at 11:06 am

Yay for long runs!

My senior year of high school, my parents got me my own Costco membership so I could run more errands for them (I always used to go grocery shopping for the family, etc because I really enjoy it), as well as so when I began college, I could stock up on the basics for cheap. Anyways, you can imagine how dangerous it was for a teenager to walk into Costco and not walk out with a cart full of cupcakes, ipods, and dvds, haha! But alas, I controlled myself and seldom slipped in the random book or personal treat every now and then. That being said, I have lived in NYC for the past few years as I am a student at NYU, and no longer get to go to Costco since there isn’t one in the city. I miss buying in bulk!! ๐Ÿ™ Enjoy the wholesale shoppers paradise!!!

9 Nicci@NIftyEats August 30, 2009 at 11:12 am

Great run Meghann, waffles look good. I love topping waffles, pancakes and toast with warm fruit.

10 Rosey Rebecca August 30, 2009 at 11:13 am

I always go overboard at stores that sell things in bulk!

Glad you had a great run!

11 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 30, 2009 at 11:27 am

I’m glad your run went so well – I’m working on building my mileage up after taking a very long break from running. So far, it’s working out really well ๐Ÿ™‚ Your early morning photo is so pretty!

12 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) August 30, 2009 at 11:29 am

Do you ever get stomach aches or cramps while running due to eating before? I’ve found that I have to wait to digest for at least an hour or I get really bad sideaches. It could be that my body isn’t as used to running, but I’m curious if that ever happens to you!

Looks like a fun run!

13 Bec August 30, 2009 at 11:32 am

Sounds like you had a great run with good company! I definitely need to try adding PB to my waffle batter.

14 Jenny August 30, 2009 at 11:50 am

oh god you girls are seriously more productive before sunrise than i am all day.. kudos to you, chica!

15 Run Sarah August 30, 2009 at 11:58 am

I love Costco! Maranatha AB, Kashi bars, Kashi cereal and Amy’s soups are always a great deal here.

16 angieinatlanta August 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

Wow – knocking out 10 miles on a Sunday!? I’m so inspired to get off my booty!

Those waffles look AMAZING!

17 Kat August 30, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Wow, you are so amazingly productive and motivated! Good for you!

18 kristi (sweet cheeks) August 30, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Sounds like a great run…and an even GREATER breakfast!!

have fun at Costco, aka foodie heaven. ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Hangry Pants August 30, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I would love to live in Orlando and have you girls to train with!!!

I love that pancake mix!

20 Kiki (Run Kiki Run) August 30, 2009 at 12:53 pm

you girls are so determined! i admire that a lot, it takes guts to get up at 5.30am!

21 foodieinthecity August 30, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Nice job on the run!

Ahhh, good ol’ Costco. I go crazy when I get in that store and try to justify all of my purchases. By the time I get home, I am usually thinking “What the hell did I just buy?” haha. Have fun though, it’s a fun place to go ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Julia August 30, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I wish I had wonderful friends to do long runs with!
I have a question about the Clif Blocks, I used them for the first time on my 7 mile run today. I had no idea they were sooo sticky. I had to stop and get a 30 second drink at a water fountain on the trail (thank God for that water fountain!), and even then I was still picking pieces of the blocks out of my teeth and off the roof of my mouth for like the next 1/2 mile! Sorry if that was like extra graphic lol.
Anyways, I was just wondering how you eat them when you’re running? Do you just drink a lot of water as you eat them or do you have another method?
Thanks!

23 Meghann August 30, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I think I may be the only person who actually enjoys the stickiness of the clif bloks. Sucking the bits and pieces out of my teeth gives me something to focus on during my runs. ๐Ÿ™‚ I do make sure to drink lots of water when I take them to make the go down easy.

24 Tay August 30, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Congrats on the run! Having other people to do your long runs with is really handy. And enjoy Costco. Happiest place on earth ๐Ÿ˜€

25 Brandi August 30, 2009 at 2:27 pm

glad you girls had a good run!

waffles + pb is always a good thing ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Courtney August 30, 2009 at 2:27 pm

You guys are so motivating and inspiring – I love that you and Kelly have such a sweet relationship, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

27 Niki August 30, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Great job on the run!! So lucky that you have some friends to run with!!

28 runeatrepeat August 30, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Everyone’s talking about Costco today ๐Ÿ™‚ Love that place.

29 Haleigh August 30, 2009 at 4:44 pm

A little girl time at 6:30 in the morning is a great way to start off the day! add in some waffles and its THE perfect day ๐Ÿ™‚ enjoy the rest of it! xoxo

30 Jenna August 30, 2009 at 4:44 pm

good job on the run this morningg!
i have never ever been to costco beforee, is it kinda like BJ’s?

31 indieconquers (Run Study Eat) August 30, 2009 at 4:52 pm

aww you guys are too cute! I didn’t know whole foods had buckwheat pancake mix and so going there just to buy it!!!

32 eatingart August 30, 2009 at 5:06 pm

That’s awesome! Hopefully i will be able to run that long sometime in the future! (maybe a year from now haha)

33 fittipexchange August 30, 2009 at 6:12 pm

wow, you really were up before the sun!

34 joieandrileysmommy August 30, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Your waffles look simply delicious! I’m going to try adding peanut butter to mine next time and see what happens. Awesome idea!

35 Whit August 30, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I am so jealous of your training partners! ๐Ÿ™ Whit has no one. I am going to scour the interwebs in valiant search for some equally as cool and hip as yours.

36 Kristie August 30, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I love your enthusiasm for your runs. I’ve never run more than 7 miles at a time and never run with others. Or even outdoors for that matter. Pretty sad, I know. One of these days I’d love to take it outside though, it just seems SO much more satisfying!

Have fun stocking up at Costco! Man I love that place.

37 D August 30, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I have a running question…I’ve researched so much but its difficult to find answers when everything online seems so generic. I’d love your opinion!

my background – I’m currently training for a half marathon on October 11th. I’ve only done one race (a 10k in 53 min) and my longest run ever was 12 miles. I run most days of the week and usually run between 3-9 miles on each run, and I try to get a good balance of speedwork, tempo, slow, etc. I’m trying to follow a schedule but I generally do what feels good on the day, and try to get a balance.

question – i want to improve my speed and get comfortable running longer distances, but i also want to keep the half marathon in mind. i cant figure out what the best schedule should be! there are so many different opinions and plans and methods. i want to get up to 15-18 miles for long runs, but i realise this doesnt really fit in with training for a half. advice would be great!!

38 Erica August 30, 2009 at 9:42 pm

How fun! And great job on the 10 miles! I love the excitement I feel after a great long run!!!! ProBars do a great job holding over hunger for sure!