A Trip to Costco

by Meghann on August 30, 2009

I think for a weekend that originally began with no plans it turned into a very fun and busy one. πŸ™‚

My parent’s and grandmother made the drive to Orlando today to take my Sister and I out to lunch and then to shop til we dropped at Costco.

They were running late and my tummy was starting to rumble, so I had a Peanut Butter Ball to hold me over.

My Dad is obsessed with this great little Cuban restaurant right down the street from my apartment. He is always looking for an excuse to eat a great meal there and taking us to Costco today was his excuse.

Check out my Mom showing some Healthy Living Summit support with the shirt I snagged her. πŸ™‚

The table started out with an order of Tostones which are smooshed and fried plantains.

I topped mine with the sauce that came with it, which ended up tasting like thousand island dressing.

For my lunch I had the Half and Half Combo: a 1/2 a Cuban and 1/2 a House Salad.

I really don’t order Cubans very often because the only vegetable it contains is a pickle, but every once in a while it does pop out at me on a menu. This one did not disappoint.

I managed to also steal a couple of plantain chips from my Sister’s boyfriend’s plate.

Next up we went to the mad house that was Costco.

We also learned Costco is INSANE on a Sunday!

When I was little we used to make monthly trips to Costco and I hated it. I was forced to sit on a flat bed cart and would be bored out of my mind. I think so many years later I can now truly appreciate what Costco has to offer.

The family loaded up a couple of carts of goodies.

It worked out going to Costco with 3 different households. We were able to buy one bulk item and then split it three different ways.

After lots of shopping and family time I needed to refuel with a snack.

The Blueberry Pomegranate trailmix was a new Costco find. The ingredient list and nutrition stats intriqued me.

I had some of the trail mix in another new Costco purchase: bulk Chobani!

I really like the trail mix! It made a great yogurt topping and I know will be great in my morning cereal as well.

Maddie did not like be cooped up in her crate while everyone else got to play, so I made sure she got some time in at the dog park today.

Maddie made good friends with a cutie puggle. (These are for you Allison!)

Dinner was more then just a little inspired by Costco. I just could not wait to test out my new treats.

First up the Salmon Burger Patties.

The salmon burger cooking on the stove top made the kitchen wonderful. This was another great purchase.

I made a salad for the salmon using all ingredients I picked up today – Spinach, Feta and this yummy Taboule

I <3 Taboule!

On the side I had a few Pita chips. The pita chips were the only item that is not from Costco.

I wanted something light and refreshing for dinner and this salad hit the spot.

For dessert I decided to try a trick Janel had taught us during her Nutrition talk at the Healthy Living Summit.

Janel had given the advice to put ice cream on top of fruit, rather then the fruit on top of ice cream. You can’t really see but the bottom 3/4 of this bowl is Blueberries, then just a couple spoonfuls of vanilla ice cream on top of those. I thought the ice cream still needed more color so I added a couple of strawberries on top as well.

This was a very easy and effect trick. The ice cream melted right into the blue berries giving them the perfect creamy coating without going overboard on the ice cream.

Another weekend has officially come and gone. This was a great one mixed with relaxing and fun outings. I hope everyone had a great one as well!

Until tomorrow…. Good Night!!

1 inmytummy August 30, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I love that Costco tabbouli.

2 runeatrepeat August 30, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Ice cream on top of ice cream is a great idea! Thanks – I really need this one.

3 angieinatlanta August 30, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I’m dying to go to Costco! I don’t have a membership but I think I may have to spring for one!

And Cuban food is one of my favorites; I had a Cuban sandwich on Friday night and it was delish!

Hope you have a great week!

4 Kim August 30, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Meghann,
WHERE IS THIS PLACE? My fam and I drove up and down 436 for about an hour the other night trying to find it. Is it tucked in a shopping center or are we all just blind? Your meal looks delicious, at least!

5 Meghann's Dad August 31, 2009 at 8:38 pm

The Cuban place is North West corner Kinda of 436&434 near A Koles , Been thier for about 10 years and the waitres speaks better Spanish then English both a good sign for a good reastaunt !

6 Simone August 30, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I wish Costco would miraculously open in some magical spot in NYC. Clearly, there is not place in the city large enough to hold a Costco, but unless a part of Central Park is going to become a construction site (another clearly not happening occurrence), than I guess I am going to have to continue living without bulk shopping! πŸ™ wahhh!

7 biz319 August 30, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Sounds like a perfect day to me! I am a Sam’s Club girl, just because its closer – my husband still cannot spend less than $100 even if we just need paper towels! πŸ˜€

8 Leianna August 30, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Sounds like a prductive and effective way to shop and then split in into 3 ways! I like that idea of putting icer cream ON TOP of fruit!

9 Evan Thomas August 30, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Salmon burgers and granola–sounds like a great costco trip!

10 Morgan August 30, 2009 at 9:40 pm

LOVE those salmon burgers, I had one last night! I hit up Costco today too, but the only fun thing we got were Kashi bars, the rest was household stuff.
Can’t wait to try out that fruit idea next time I have ice cream.

11 Annamarina August 30, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Costco now has Chobani?!! Now I really may have to renew my membership!

12 Rosey Rebecca August 30, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Blueberry Pomegranate trail mix sounds awesome!! I love buying in bulk!

13 Allison August 30, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Thanks for the ice cream tip – that’s an excellent idea!

I’ll have to give tabouli a try…

14 Tyly August 30, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Maddie is too cute, and I love the puggle pictures! I have one, and he’s the sweetest thing ever… but I may be a little biased. πŸ™‚

15 Lizzy August 30, 2009 at 9:50 pm

That is so funny that you purchased salmon burgers,because my mom and i were just talking about them tonight and wanting to try them from costco! so glad that you enjoyed them, now i want to go get some!!!!! glad you had a great weekend! πŸ™‚

16 Valerie August 30, 2009 at 9:52 pm

I love Costco trips too! I’m so jealous, because my Costco doesn’t stock bulk Chobani!. Or those Clif bars I saw in there…totally not fair! I love that ice cream trick though!

17 megzzwinsatlife August 30, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I love Costco BUT try to avoid it at all costs on SUNDAYS!! It is horrible.. Mine is open till 9:30 during the week so I like to go after work and avoid the crowds!! This way I get to take my time and really see what they have!! ALSO I am super jealous your Costco has Chobani.. mine doesn’t and it would defiantly help me save some money if mine did!!

18 Allison August 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm

You are the best!!! Maddie and a puggle in the same picture?!?! Does it get any better?!?! (maybe if it were Lando AND Maddie int he same pic) πŸ™‚ Thanks my dear!

Cubans are my favorite! I do exactly what you do though – try to hold of and order them once in a while (usually my birthday!) Happy Sunday! πŸ™‚

19 Shannon, The Healthy Beach Bum August 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm

MMM those smushed plantains look soooo darn good! I bet i could eat about 20 of those little things lol. Enjoy your Costco loot! The Blueberry Pomegranate granola sounds very tasty wowwy. PS booo to his fsu shirt hehe, sorry i couldn’t help it πŸ˜‰ Enjoy your night!

20 Nicole August 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I.Heart.Tostones. We eat them a lot in our family. I usually dip them in ketchup but my mom makes an amazing dipping sauce of olive oil and smashed garlic. If you let the garlic sit in the oil for a few hours before you serve it–holy crap it’s so good.
Enjoy your week!

21 erika August 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm

One trick is if you must go on a Sunday, go right when they open… the first hour is pretty slow. Also, we call it the Hundred Dollar Store. πŸ™‚

22 Emily August 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for sharing the ice-cream trick! It seems like a great idea but I doubt I would have ever thought of it.

23 Mandy A August 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Great ice cream tip!!!

I wish we had Costco was closer to us! Looks like you got some great stuff today!

Love the pictures of Maddie…as always!

24 Niki August 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Love the Maddie pics!! Those salmon burgers look really good!

25 Kristine August 30, 2009 at 11:02 pm

It took me a little while to figure out that in the picture of your mom it was your dad’s arm in the picture and NOT your moms leg being kicked up in the air. Take a second look….you may laugh!

26 Hangry Pants August 30, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I got that hummus yesterday!!!

27 Jenna August 30, 2009 at 11:45 pm

wow costco looks great! we don’t have them around where i live, we have BJ’s and i loveeee going there and buying in bulk!
great tip on the ice cream on top of fruit!

jenna

28 broccolihut August 31, 2009 at 12:11 am

Holy Clif bars!

29 Nicole August 31, 2009 at 3:39 am

God I miss Costco!! We don’t have them in Germany!!!

Oh and by the way, I’m so jealous that you got to eat a Cuban!! It looked crispy and wonderful!! I always get one right off the plane when I am in Tampa!! If you are ever in the St. Pete area, you should try Stein’s. They make great cubans!

30 Meg August 31, 2009 at 5:43 am

What a fun filled and yummy day!!

That is the way to buy Clif bars!

31 Brea August 31, 2009 at 7:08 am

I <3 Costco! I also like the blueberry pomegranate trail mix, so tasty!

How did you like the salmon burgers? I pass them all the time and always wonder about them but never buy them. I'm not a huge fan of frozen fish unless I buy it fresh and freeze it myself. Frozen fish always seems to have a fishy taste to it, at least he ones I've bought in the past.

32 Lauren August 31, 2009 at 7:34 am

What a successful trip to Costco! Love the family shopping trips.

I love that ice cream trick. I often fill my bowl with fruit and a touch of ice cream too!

33 Britt August 31, 2009 at 8:21 am

sometimes you just have to have the Cuban. yum, haven’t had one of those in ages! looks like a very successful shopping trip!

34 Susan August 31, 2009 at 8:59 am

I seriously cannot wait until Costco opens its doors in my city. They’re currently in the process of building one!

I love using tabbouli as a “salad dressing” of sorts too. So good!

35 Kristin August 31, 2009 at 9:14 am

I’m so jealous, I wish we had a costco in RI!!!

Glad you had a great weekend =)

xo
K

36 Tammy Eros August 31, 2009 at 9:26 am

I wish we had a Costco!! We just have SAMS and they definately don’t carry Chobani or Tabouli! I went the other day, however, and stocked up on Spinich (for my green smoothies), a delicious frozen fruit combo, and a big tub of roasted red pepper hummus…sigh…

37 Chloe August 31, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Those Costco salmon burgers are the bomb! I get them every time I go and love having them for lunch or dinner, especially with a salad. They’re so easy to cook too, I put them on my George Foreman grill and they’re done in a couple of minutes.

Looks like a fun trip, love the ice cream trick!

38 christina August 31, 2009 at 1:02 pm

GIANT BOX OF CLIF BARS!!!! I love those things, even if I don’t really buy them very often.

39 bethann August 31, 2009 at 1:20 pm

have you tried the dark chocolate pomegranates from costco? sooo good.

40 Jessica August 31, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I went to Costco today just so I could get salmon burgers, feta and taboulli. I cannot wait for lunch. YUMMM! My Costco did not have Chobani though – boo πŸ™

41 Heather (be well & take care) September 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I drive by Habana Grill ALL the time while shopping and have never been. I just looked at their menu online and I think I’ll have to take my dad soon since he loves cuban food. YUM! I love trips to Costco, but I remember how much I hated grocery shopping in general as a kid and now it’s my favorite thing ever. That’s kind of sad, but oh well.

42 Aggie September 9, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I have those salmon burgers in the freezer and seeing this post just made me figure out what we are having for dinner!! Thank you! πŸ™‚