Ready to Bake

by Meghann on August 28, 2009

Tonight I have graciously volunteered to make Carrot Cake Cupcakes in honor of my sister’s boyfriend, Anthony’s birthday celebration. If you read my blog you know I am not a baker in any shape, way or form but every once in a while I am up for the challenge.

I’ve discover in order for MYSELF to be successful at baking I have to do the following:

• Stay away from low fat or healthy recipes
  • Do not attempt to make the recipe low fat or healthy
  • Do not make any changes to the recipe in any way – I have to remind myself baking and cooking are two separate things in this department

Those should be easy to remember right? 😉

This morning I had one of my favorite snacks: a random trail mix.

IMG_0830

This little container contained Peanuts, Missy Mix #1 Cereal, & Almonds.

Lunch today resembled something that I could have easily pulled out of a lunch box.

IMG_0832

Last night I made this wonderful wrap of Almond Butter, Shredded Carrots, Spinach and Dried Cherries.

IMG_0841

It was nice to just grab the wrap this morning and not have to do any prep work. I also enjoy how the aluminum foil keep the wrap in one piece so nicely.

To go with the grab and eat theme I pulled the Parmesan and Garlic Pop Chips from my cupboard.

IMG_0836

Wow, these babies were strong! Garlic overload! I needed two glasses of water just to eat them. I think they got more intense the more I ate too. The flavor was good, just too much. If they were to tone these down a little bit they would be perfect.

IMG_0839

And last but not least a little Pluot that was little past its prime.

IMG_0833

Coming Soon!

I am currently working on my Marathon Training Plan for Disney. Something I thought would be fun has turned into frustrative speed work research and trying to figure out where vacations fit in my plan.

My Mom informed me this week that she is booking a ski trip for the family for the week after Christmas (YAY) unfortunately that’s also 2 weeks before my marathon! I can’t turn down a free ski vacation so I am determined to make this work.

Stay tuned for details coming in the next week. 🙂

1 brandi August 28, 2009 at 2:10 pm

you’ll figure it out – and the ski trip sounds like so much fun!

i’ve got to try that wrap combo soon. spinach is going on my grocery list.

2 dude August 28, 2009 at 2:15 pm

it seems you take a vacation like…every week ;p! a. how the hell do you afford that? b. how the hell do you get that much time off work?

3 Meghann August 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I wish I went on vacation every week! But sadly that is not the case. I have been very luckily lately to have the opportunity to go on so many vacations, which fortunately most of which I have not had to pay for. The ski vacation would not be until after christmas and my parents usually count it as a christmas present.

And trust me I am in the hole at work right now with my hours. I am lucky to work with a company that allows me to go in the hole and then pull myself out of it with accrewed PTO. I also have a great time off policy.

4 verbalriot August 28, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Oh man, I am horrific at low fat or healthy baked goods! I’m baking macaroons for my mom right now: sugar, egg whites and coconut..I didn’t even use unsweetened coconut..hahah

5 Rae August 28, 2009 at 2:23 pm

honestly, you should be tapering by then anyways! Fit in your last long run beofre the trip, and a few no more than 5 milers while on it…you’ll do great!!

6 lilybeans August 28, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I can’t wait for these cupcakes!

Interesting wrap combo, I must try!

7 MelissaNibbles August 28, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I’m not a fan of baking either. You have to stick exactly to the recipe or your baked goods usually don’t turn out right. I like throwing random things in and playing it by ear when I cook.

I never would’ve thought to mix almond butter with spinach. Thanks for the tip!

8 Beth August 28, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Ina Garten has the.best.recipe for carrot cake cupcakes.

9 Liz August 28, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Not being able to run much right before your marathon shouldn’t be a big deal. That’s the time you would be tapering anyway. About two weeks prior to my first marathon, I got bored with training and didn’t run at all. Then, I ended up running my fastest marathon at 3:22. I guess my point is that as long as you’re following a good training plan missing out on training at the end shouldn’t be a big deal. Good luck to you!

10 Jenna August 28, 2009 at 2:34 pm

haha so true on the baking and cooking thing…totally different!
and of course you have to go on the family vaca 😉

jenna

11 Julie August 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Are you both Kelly and Caitlyn’s sister?

12 Meghann August 28, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Kelly and I are just the ones who are sisters. 🙂

13 trinichiqn August 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm

The most I can tell you for making a recipe low fat is to switch out the butter and eggs with apple sauce, I am however not sure about the ratio. I do know that 2 eggs is 1/4 cup of eggs, hope that helps.

For lucnh today I had an amazing cucumber pork sandwhich on whole with with craisins. I made sure that there was not even a hint of seed in my sammie so that it would not be soggy by lunchtime. It was scrumptious, delicious, ridiculously good.

I would never have started putting together some of these combos without all these ideas I get from blogs. Usually a Friday sammie was the end of my week laziness, now I still don’t put much thought into it but I have a wider variety to end my week. Leftover mustard pork, a suprisingly flatish (but perfect) cucumber and homemade bread with some miracle whip and craisins.

14 megzzwinsatlife August 28, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I am really jealous you are going skiing.. I love to ski and unfortunally don’t get to go that much… Are you going anywhere crazy skiing like Colorado?? I am sure your cupcakes will be delish.. I have been adding yogurt to cupcakes instead of oil and they are really creamy and yummy.. Also I have added applesauce in the past to cupcakes instead of oil.. 🙂

15 Carrie H August 28, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Try these from Jenna’s website:
They are AMAZING!! I haven’t made them in awhile, but trust me, they don’t taste healthy AT ALL!

16 MarathonVal August 28, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Ski trip sounds awesome!!!!

But, be careful… one time my dad went skiing with his brothers (after getting a tad tipsy, I should add)… and fell off the skilift!!

Haha just avoid having that happen and you should be fine 😉

17 Elsa August 28, 2009 at 3:27 pm

So true about baking. I always try to make it healthier and I am always disappointed. Sweets and good cause of just that…they are made out of sweets!! I can’t wait to read and see the final outcome.

18 Hangry Pants August 28, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Do you have a recipe already? If not, you should try Ellie Krieger’s as they are delicious. They are a little healthier than normal, but no one will ever know!

19 Alex August 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Ski trips are so much fun, and I completely agree that it would be silly to turn down a free one. However, I feel I should say that I ALSO went on a ski vacation two weeks before my last marathon, and it definitely made a difference in my performance. Adjusting to the altitude and to a different/additional daily exercise threw me out of whack. Although I was able to stick with my training plan, skiing every day on top of that confused my legs a little. True, this was my own experience, but I just thought you should know/be prepared for that factor to impact you even though you might not expect it!

20 Annamarina August 28, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Looking forward to seeing your marathon training plan! Your wrap for lunch looks yummy. What kind of wraps do you use? I’m usually have a Arnold’s Thin sandwich for lunch but would like to switch to wraps occasionally, but not sure which ones to try!

21 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) August 28, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Oooh, carrot cake is one of my favorites – especially with cream cheese frosting. I agree that it’s easier (and yummier) to make the regular version instead of a low fat version. It’s a celebration after all, right? If I make the more indulgent version I usually try and limit my portion size.

Sounds like a fun baking adventure!

22 Matt August 28, 2009 at 5:33 pm

LOL don’t get hurt on the skiing trip! Just kidding…

23 ksgoodeats August 28, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I agree on the PopChip review – a little too strong!!! A ski trip sounds like so much fun, glad you’re going 🙂

24 Dawn August 28, 2009 at 6:08 pm

If the ski trip is only 2 weeks before your marathon, all your training will be in the bag and you’ll just be tapering, resting your legs and maintaining your fitness. If you’re planning on doing a lot of skiing that week, I’d say don’t worry too much about the running. Get some sort of interval/tempo/speedwork workout in on Wednesday, do a longish run over the weekend (~10-13 miles), and let the skiing be your workouts. You can pick back up with the last week or two of your plan once you get back.

25 Evan Thomas August 28, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Carrot cake muffins sound awesome. I really love anything carrot cake. I was so happy to find carrot cake ice cream a few days ago that’s pretty darn good.

I’ve made some awful substitutions to recipes, too, but I find after trying and A LOT of flour you eventually find little tips and tricks that work

26 Niki August 28, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Can’t wait for the carrot cake cupcakes recipe!! Looking forward to seeing your training plan. I had a rough time making my half training plan too! It’s a lot more work than I thought!!

27 Rosey Rebecca August 28, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Carrot cake cupcakes sound yummy!! Especially with cream cheese icing!!

28 Shannon August 28, 2009 at 7:45 pm

MMmm, carrot cake 🙂 i just made eating well’s recipe (diff frosting), and my co-workers loved it! (they’re not all healthy eaters either!)

29 Bec August 28, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Good luck with the cupcakes! I am sure the training plan will work its self out eventualy

30 joelygolightly August 28, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Oh my gosh, I am the same way with the baking.. I actually love baking and bake all the time, but whenever I try to finagle with the recipe to make it more waist-friendly, things turn out badly haha.

31 Karen whitlock August 28, 2009 at 9:58 pm

definitely don’t give up the trip! Normally, you should be backing off the miles 2 weeks before the marathon so you should be good to go. I usually do 12 miles 2 weeks out and then 8 miles the weekend before (for my long runs anyhow…). Good luck with the carrot cake!

32 Courtney August 28, 2009 at 10:28 pm

BAHAHA, yes, this is what I do while baking – ALWAYS try to alter it to make it healthier. Its always a FAIL!

33 Christina August 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm

I always do the same thing with trying to make baked goods healthy! I should just accept that fact that when people want cake, they want real, decadent cake, not my healthy version of one. Good luck with the baking!

34 Sarah August 29, 2009 at 12:10 am

I can’t wait to see how your cupcakes come out. I, personally, think baked goods always work out better “full-fat.” A little indulgence is all right. And… they’ve got carrots in them… 🙂

35 Amanda August 31, 2009 at 10:24 am

Where does your family go to ski?? My boyfriend and I spend a lot of time skiing in upstate NY and Vermont!