Me Like Grapes

by Meghann on August 26, 2009

I have to be honest when I say I don’t blog every little thing I eat. On any given day I probably blog about 90% of what actually goes in my mouth.

The other 10% comes from the quick bite – usually 1/2 a z-bar – I have each morning before I run or work out and the nibbles of grapes I have when standing in front of my fridge.

IMG_0749

(I know, I really need to clean the bottom of my fridge!)

Grapes are dangerous in my house. I can happily over look the chocolate, cookies, cheese and crackers that are within easy reach, but for some reason grapes get me every time. I often take a couple at a time with out even thinking about it and will easily go through a whole bag of grapes on my own in a week! In fact given the opportunity I could eat a whole bag on my own in no problem.

This morning I decided instead of just randomly grabbing grapes throughout my day, that I would pack them for my snack. Of course that won’t stop me on sneaking a few this afternoon. 😉

I had a generous handful of grapes with a smaller handful of Kashi Go Lean.

IMG_0741

The grapes were refreshing and hydrating. I know if I were at home I would have happily gone back for tons more. In fact I may have more when I do get home. 🙂

Lunch was refreshing and hydrating as well. The perfect meal on a hot sunny day.

IMG_0743

Last night I combined

• Shredded Zucchini
  • Shredded Yellow Squash
  • Shredded Carrot
  • Raisins
  • Shredded Coconut
  • Cubed Tofu
  • Pecans
  • Tomato

I tossed it all with a dressing I made of Vinegar, Honey and EVOO.

IMG_0747

The end results were very tasty, but lacking something that I could not put my finger on. I added more honey, but that didn’t help as much as I thought it would. My favorite bites were ones with raisins so maybe it just needed more raisins? Any ideas?

With my make shift salad I had a serving of Whole Wheat Pita Chips.

IMG_0748

Last night I also made a batch of Tina’s No Bake Peanut Butter Balls.

IMG_0750

I followed her directions to the t and put them in the fridge over night. I had one before my run this morning and another after lunch.

IMG_0751

All that was missing was a nice coating of dark chocolate! Yum!

I think if I were to make these again I would add a tad more oats and less agave nectar. Don’t get me wrong they came out great, I just prefer less sweetness. The rest will make great pre-run snacks for the week.

1 Jenna August 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm

those peanut butter balls look super good!
such a great recipe and idea 🙂

2 MelissaNibbles August 26, 2009 at 1:57 pm

The salad looks delicious. I find a scoop of hummus adds a little kick to any salad. Maybe that was the missing ingredient!

3 runeatrepeat August 26, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Often a dash of salt when you are making a sweet dressing goes a long way 🙂 I know you don’t use salt that often, but since you’re a runner (and I assume you stay well hydrated) it’s good!

4 brandi August 26, 2009 at 1:58 pm

those cookies look great! I could make those and actually have them for myself, probably. my husband isn’t a big fan of pb cookies.

we’re probably about the same on food blogging – i usually always have a snack at night, but it’s after I’ve blogged!

hmm..was it missing something in Taste or Texture? The mixture does sound good.

5 Liz August 26, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Have you ever tried freezing grapes and eating them frozen? oh my gosh, they’re the best thing ever!

6 Morgan August 26, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Freeze some grapes and keep them in your freezer. They are an amazing treat, and so refreshing!

7 Meghann August 26, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Call me crazy but I’m not a fan of frozen grapes! I’m actually not a fan of frozen fruit in general. The texture throws me off

8 Julie August 26, 2009 at 2:38 pm

I can’t eat those either. Too cold, plusI feel like they would be hard to bite frozen.

I’m the same way with grapes. When I need something crunchy, yet soft and thirst quenching, a little grape goes a long way!

9 Leah August 26, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I’d say a dash of salt and pepper would perfect your salad. Or a tsp of curry powder! Looks delicious!

And ditto the frozen grape biz!

10 andrea. August 26, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Yes, I was gonna say curry powder as well! Maybe insead of the oil and vinegar dressing, curry powder and greek yogurt?

11 Nicci August 26, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I love grapes, with the boyfriend I can’t keep them in the house for more than 2 days! Hummus would sound great added to your dish next time!

12 Mia August 26, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I love grapes too, especially red seedless. I munch on them while I have the refrigerator door open trying to figure out what to make for dinner. By the time I figure out what to make I not all that hungry anymore!

13 Haleigh August 26, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I know how you feel about the grapes, they never last long in my house!

14 Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 26, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Grapes are pretty flippin fantastic.

15 Brea August 26, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I too love grapes! Just bought a whole bag/box from Costco the other day. So far I’ve had grapes with my breakfast as well as with my lunch. Such an easy food to eat, they taste great, and they are refreshing.

Yum, I think I might try those no bake peanut butter cookies. I saw them on Tina’s blog the other day and now seeing them on yours is making my tummy grumble!

16 Anne Marie August 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I LOVE grapes, especially if they are purple!

17 Rosey Rebecca August 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I love grapes too!! I just bought some yesterday and was eating them from the bag on the checkout line!

18 Nicci August 26, 2009 at 2:29 pm

green grapes are the best, not fond of purple as much. lol

19 Tammy Eros August 26, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I love freezing the purple grapes, the green ones are too sour. The really hit the spot when I’m craving something sweet. As far as your salad goes, it does seem like a great mixture. I might have used craisens, they seem a little sweet and tangy to me…and maybe fresh herbs.

20 Lauren August 26, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I do the SAME thing with grapes – I “steal” handfuls throughout the day. I also love frozen grapes in the summer. So refreshing!

21 carolinebee August 26, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Hmm i was trying to imagine the taste of your salad- and what I would add- I’m thinking: BBQ sauce!?? haha mayybe it’s just me 😀

I have a huuuge tub of grapes I won’t finish before I move, too bad I can’t send em over to u!!

22 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 26, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Grapes are goooood! I haven’t purchased any in a while but I do the same thing…they are great to munch on and definitely hydrating.

23 Jenna August 26, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I really need to try some of Tina’s no bake pb cookies. your pb balls looks awesome.

24 Tay August 26, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Seriously I can go through grapes and any fruit like its my job. I go through a. 32 oz blueberry container in 2 days!! I need to make those cookies!!

25 cookinfanatic August 26, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Maybe a touch of curry powder (? if you like curry that is ?)

26 Marissa August 26, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I am the same way with grapes!

27 Katie Davis August 26, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I also love grapes. I usually freeze mine so that they last longer and they are a fun cold treat to suck on in the summer time when it is so hot here in Texas!

28 megzzwinsatlife August 26, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I LOVEEEE grapes!! It actually got to the point where I had to stop buying them because I was starting to turn into a grape!! They are soo yummy!!!

29 Michelle C. August 26, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I am the same way…I can easily pop in my mouth a bag of grapes without even realizing. I guess there could be worse things to eat 🙂

30 Teresica August 26, 2009 at 4:00 pm

So, from reading your blog I’ve seen that you are a fan of Trader Joe’s. I have never been there but am visiting a friend this weekend and hope to stop by because I’ve heard such good things about it. What would you (or anyone else) recommend as *must try* Trader Joe products? Thanks!

31 Meghann August 26, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Yes I am a big TJ’s fan! I love to stock up on my favorites when I go because there aren’t any where I lived.

My Favorites:
Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels
Dark Chocolate Covered Edamame
Tortilla, Wraps
Tomato Chutney
Lemon Curd
Any Dried Fruit
Any Trail Mix
Almond meal
and so much more!

32 Stephanie August 26, 2009 at 5:03 pm

We love the Peanut Butter, the Organic Low-Sugar Preserves, the Pumpernickel Pretzels, the Dried Flattened Banana, the Pita Crisp Crackers – you really cannot go wrong at TJ’s!

33 Teresica August 28, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Thanks guys for the suggestions! I will definitely be checking these things out when I go tomorrow! (Is it sad I am so excited to go to a grocery store? 🙂 )

34 Leianna August 26, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I love grapes too, and sometimes I put them in the freezer for extra crunch!

35 kaitruns August 26, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Im all about the grapes…they never last too long in my household..

36 Ada August 26, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I’m the exact same way with grapes, and practically any other fruit for the matter! It’s especially dangerous now that organic grapes are on sale at Whole Foods for 1.89 a pound;)

37 nutritionbyeve August 26, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I think you need a little more seasoning for your lunch – mustard, herbs/spices, salt.

I find grapes addicting too!

38 Faith August 26, 2009 at 4:31 pm

u almost have a curry going on! like someone else mentioned i would add a dash of apple cider vinegar, a dash of curry, sea salt, and some cinnamon! i actually think i might make that it looks good!

39 foodieinthecity August 26, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I forget which blog I read this on this morning, but I read about puppy chow cookies. Which, I really need to find that recipe!

However, if you did dip those pb balls in chocolate like you were thinking, rolled them in some powdered sugar, I think you would come close to calling that a ‘puppy chow cookie’ as well. NUM!

40 Stephanie August 26, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I actually made a very similar vinaigrette recently, and I added some mustard – a combination of Dijon and Yellow – which was divine!

41 Pearl August 26, 2009 at 5:10 pm

i love grapes too! my boyfriend and i prefer the dark, black grapes and we can easily eat a whole bag in a couple of hours!

42 rhodeygirltests August 26, 2009 at 5:14 pm

i have the same problem with grapes. cucumber slices too. i actually CAN’T physically cut a cucumber without eating a piece of it haah

43 Lizzy August 26, 2009 at 5:37 pm

You are just like me. grapes are utterly amazing, and i know for a fact i could go through a bag all on my own probably in one day if i tried! hahhaa. nothing wrong with that thought right? Your salad for lunch looks so good. i love putting dried fruit in my salads it adds such a great flavor!

44 alex August 26, 2009 at 6:11 pm

whole bag of grapes in a week?? what’s wrong with that?? 🙂

…guilty as charged!

45 angieinatlanta August 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Those balls look so good! TWSS!

46 Kelly August 26, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Yum peanut butter balls. 🙂

47 The Hungry Runner August 26, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Lol I nibble grapes all the time in front of the fridge! i’m glad i’m not the only one

48 thedallasceliac August 26, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I have to say that I’m impressed with how pretty your peanut butter balls are. I could never make them the exact same size like that.

49 Pam August 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I’m the same way with grapes! I can’t keep them in my house!

50 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 26, 2009 at 8:46 pm

At least they’re healthy!

51 kathy August 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm

That salad looks amazing! I would maybe try some cilantro or parsley or some other herb…

52 Alicia August 26, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Like you, I cannot stop eating grapes. I will eat and eat until everything disappears. What’s in grapes that makes it so addictive???

53 sugiorg August 27, 2009 at 9:31 am

I would say your salad is missing mayo!! but i know you’re not going to start adding random tbsp of mayo to your meals so in your case i’d go with plain greek yogurt..
But, if you ARE feeling a little adventurous you could try with low fat mayo

54 Jess August 27, 2009 at 9:33 am

The peanut butter balls are also good if you add some cocoa powder to them – that adds the chocolate you mentioned 🙂 I’ve been making no-bakes for a long time – they are best with lots of oats, just the right amount of peanut butter and enough cocoa powder to turn the cookies darker. Try it, you’ll love it!

55 insideiamdancing August 27, 2009 at 10:32 am

salad looks great! I bet a touch of mustard would be awesome 🙂