more ยป" />

Cooped Up

by Meghann on August 26, 2009

Sadly due to another afternoon thunderstorm attempt #2 at taking Maddie to the park was a no go. ๐Ÿ™ Perhaps tomorrow will bring some sunshine?

The rain lately has been pretty depressing. I feel just as antsy cooped up inside as Maddie. I got home from work this evening and started doing random crunches, jumping jacks and butt kicks just to keep myself entertained. What I really wanted to do was go to the park. I need some fresh air. Going from all day in the office to all evening in the apartment is no fun.

At least I have my kitchen to keep me entertained.

I had purchased this individual serving of pre-marinated BBQ Salmon from Whole Foods a while back and finally had the opportunity to taste test it tonight.

When I read the directions I was expecting to see instructions on oven temp and how long to bake for, instead it simply said to place in the microwave for 3 minutes. Just heat in the microwave? Why have I let this little treasure go unnoticed in my freezer so long?!?!

Unfortunately 3 minutes may have been a bit too long for this salmon. It turned out a tad over cooked and dry. The sauce was also a tad sweet.

Oh well, at least it was still edible. I’m just not sure I would buy this again.

At the Farmer’s Market this weekend they had a display of beautiful green tomatoes that were calling my name. Just the sight of them reminded me of my Daddy’s yummy Fried Green Tomatoes he used to make when I was little. The thing I enjoyed most about the fried green tomatoes wasn’t necessarily the crispy fried outside, but the warm gooey tomato inside, which gave me the idea for tonight.

I decided to skip the breading and massive amounts of oil this evening. Instead I went with slice and heat in a little pam spray on the stove top.

The results were just as good as I imagined.

Just as great as my Dad’s Fried Green Tomato, only a tad healthier. ๐Ÿ™‚

Finally to round out my meal I had the last of my Yucca Fries from last night.

After I took this photo I realized I had forgot the ketchup! Don’t worry I fixed the mistake and there was plenty of yucca fry/ ketchup dipping. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My evening concluded with one of my Penny’s Low Fat Dessert Cookies.

I thought it needed some Almond Butter.

Yep, that’s what it needed!

I can’t forget the True Delights bar I had as my snack this afternoon!

This baby was surprisingly filling today. I wasn’t very hungry for dinner until much later then my usual eating time.

I’ve been on such a roll lately preparing my lunch the night before lately let’s see if I can continue the pattern…… or I can just be lazy and tuck myself into bed with my book Decisions, Decisions. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Jill August 26, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I’ve never eaten yuca before, but I was so inspired by your reviews that I gave the yuca fries a go tonight. HOLY MOLY, so good, and very different than what I was expecting. Loaded with ketchup and completely delicious. I’m already looking forward to the leftovers for lunch. Thanks for the idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Leianna August 26, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Green tomotoes look good! Love your plate, I have the same set!

3 angieinatlanta August 26, 2009 at 9:07 pm

So, I was listening to the Jillian Michaels podcast and she mentioned that green tomatoes are great for burning fat…because they contain natural nicotine! Crazy, huh?

4 Erica August 26, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Yummy dinner (even if the fish was a tad over done)! I love green tomatoes! Sorry about the rain ๐Ÿ™ I will keep my fingers crossed for sunshine tomorrow.

5 Britt August 26, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I may have to cook up some of my green tomatoes soon! Great idea to slim them down. Now do I want to try yucca….

6 fittipexchange August 26, 2009 at 9:14 pm

It’s great to read the blog of a southern girl! Those fried green ‘maters look amazing!

To bad it was too rainy for the park! I was able to take my puppy, Sam, to J Blanchard for about 30 minutes before the rain came…Better luck next time ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Lizzy August 26, 2009 at 9:18 pm

i absolutely love salmon, and would def love to try this lovely package of goodness! Its funny how different everyones microwaves are cause sometimes you gotta do it the whole time and others you dont! hope the rain stops soon! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 26, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Cool – fried green tomatoes!!

9 Marissa August 26, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Great idea adding almond butter to a cookie!

10 Kate August 26, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I love that you added AB to a cookie- great idea!

(OK, so I totally typed this and THEN read Marissa’s comment. D’oh!)

11 Evan Thomas August 26, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Sorry to hear the salmon wasn’t a knock out. If it was I would have loaded my freezer with them tomorrow.

12 Run Sarah August 26, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Love the idea of the fried green tomatoes! Your yucca fries look great — I tried them the other day for the first time and want to make them again.

13 Whit August 26, 2009 at 9:56 pm

The green tomatoes look delish, but I too, have made the mistake of buying microwaveable salmon. Meh. Skip the microwave part and cook it in a pan on the stove. It takes a few more minutes, but it is not nearly as dry.

14 Bec August 26, 2009 at 9:58 pm

My mom and I were just discussing making green fried tomatoes as we have a ton of green tomatoes in our garden right now

15 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 26, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I need to try the Yucca fries!

16 Emily August 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Those tomatoes look very tasty! I bet they would also be good lightly breaded and then baked.

17 Courtney August 26, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Bahaha, I love that I’m not the only one guilty of serious microwave-love. ๐Ÿ™‚ YOU CAN MAKE THAT IN THE MICROWAVE? Shooooot, THAT goes in my cart. I’m trying to get better. ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Jenna August 26, 2009 at 11:11 pm

those salmons from whole foods look really good, and in the microwave! wow. it couldn’t get much easier than that!!

19 Tay August 27, 2009 at 12:01 am

Your cookie DOES look much happier with the almond butter on top ๐Ÿ˜‰

20 WholeBodyLove August 27, 2009 at 12:39 am

I love that you topped the low-fat cookie with almond butter! We all need healthy fat…that cookie is now liberated.

21 Pearl August 27, 2009 at 2:52 am

i absolutely adore the colorful plate!

22 The Hungry Runner August 27, 2009 at 5:48 am

:O Green tomatoes!!! They look amazing!

23 lessonstolearn August 27, 2009 at 7:42 am

I need to find some green tomatoes! That looks wonderful!

I hope Thursday brings sunnier skies and a walk in the park ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Sammie August 27, 2009 at 8:23 am

I really like your fried green tomato recipe – I am definitely going to try it. My Nana used to make the BEST fried green tomatoes when I was a kid. Now my tummy can’t handle all that fried stuff so your healthy twist is a winner.
I hope you are able to get outside today. I hate that cooped up feeling.

25 Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 27, 2009 at 8:43 am

mmm… yucca ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Kristin August 27, 2009 at 9:17 am

I have never had green tomatoes before; I might need to give them a try!

xo
K

27 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 27, 2009 at 9:48 am

Yummy green tomatoes, I’m so going to have to try that, thanks!

28 Charles August 27, 2009 at 10:23 am

Given the salmon looks pre-cooked, You might want to try a poach in some vegetable stock. Not enough to cover and dilute the bbq sauce, but enough to heat it through. It’s not microwave easy…. on second thought, you might be able to microwave poach it to keep it from drying out. I might just try that.

29 Ali August 27, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Fried green tomatos look good! I have actually never had them…must try~

30 Anne Marie@ Her New Weigh August 27, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I’ve never had fried green tomatos. In fact, I’ve never even had a green tomato. They look pretty good though!