Chocolate Green Monster

by Meghann on August 26, 2009

I went to bed last night at approximately 8:30. I feel my goal lately has been to just make it in bed as early as possible. When I think about it I can spend my nights staying up, reading blogs and watching trashy tv or I can snuggle up in my bed getting plenty of sleep. I choose sleep. πŸ™‚

People always ask how I can get up so early in the morning, have a ton of energy and not drink coffee. Well, its because I go to bed only minutes after the sun has set. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I took another route this morning and managed a mid week run of just over 6 miles. I ran into a couple of more sets of high schoolers waiting at bus stops. I checked my watch as I ran by and saw that it was 6:35am. It was still dark out, not even 7:00am yet and these kids were waiting for a bus! School sure does start early this year.

I was hot, sweaty and gross when I returned. It was the perfect morning to break out the blender and have a Chocolate Green Monster.

IMG_0729

The chocolate is thanks to this packet of Chocolate Amazing Grass I received in my Healthy Living Summit swag bag.

IMG_0728

With the packets I added 1 cup Soy Milk, 1/2 Peach, 1T Flax Seed, Spinach, and Ice to my blender and hit the smoothie button. I ended up with a very chocolately green concoction.

IMG_0734

With my Chocolate Green Monster I had 1/2 a Pita with a smear of Almond Butter.

IMG_0731

The Chocolate Green Monster was actually very tasty. It was almost like chocolate milk, only better because I find it hard to stomach actual chocolate milk. This is something I would happily make and drink again. I can see why the chocolate amazing grass is so popular now.

IMG_0735

I love my new shaker as well! It’s the perfect smoothie travel companion. I was able to take the rest of my smoothie to work with me and freak out my co-workers a little with the odd smoothie color. My favorite part about eating the way I do is freaking people out over it. It’s actually my goal sometimes to eat as weird as possible so I can get a reaction out of people. πŸ˜‰

Do you ever get comments on food you bring to work? Are you like me and pride yourself when people think its weird?

1 kayteesays August 26, 2009 at 8:56 am

I sit next to a lady who does the Atkins Diet (yep. in 2009) and she always has to make some comment about what I’m eating. I mostly ignore it.

The comments that do embarrass me are the “do you really have to take pictures of all your food?” but I’m starting to get over it.

2 Ada August 26, 2009 at 8:56 am

Haha that’s funny about your coworkers commenting on your smoothie! Once somebody remarked that my figs looked like minature monsters which I found pretty funny:)

3 Jess August 26, 2009 at 8:58 am

Haha, going to bed is so wonderful! I’m definitely the type to stay up, though I’m happier when I go to bed early and wake up early. Hmm. Then again, college tends to dictate the weird schedules that my peers and I keep.

I was the kid in school (and still am!) who always brought “weird” food to lunch, like beef cutlets (reeking of garlic and spices), artichokes, salami, pasta salad, and broccoli. Yum!

4 Lizzy August 26, 2009 at 9:06 am

Where can you buy Amazing Grass especially the chocolate flavor? I want to try it so bad!!!

Its def one of my goals to get to bed earlier, i’m on of those night owls for sure and i need to kick that habit!

have a wonderful day!

5 Erica August 26, 2009 at 9:10 am

mmm chocolate monster ;). I have been trying to get to bed earlier too- its amazing how much better you feel when you get real sleep. Yes- my office mate often comments on how fruit, veggie, and bean filled my meals are.

6 Laura August 26, 2009 at 9:13 am

Yes! Coworkers (and people in general) can feel so threatened when I bring “different” or “healthy” meals and snacks. My (least) favorite comment is: “oh, that is too healthy for me.” Yeah, I was eating a Larabar. TOO HEALTHY? WHAT IS TOO HEALTHY??!!

7 Britt August 26, 2009 at 9:14 am

One of these days I’ll get to bed early, actually that should be my goal tonight… bed before 10!

I haven’t brought a green monster into work yet, but for now its just my husband that gets freaked out by them……. and discusses it with our friends, apparently it was the topic of conversation yesterday with one of them.

8 Mellissa August 26, 2009 at 9:15 am

Yes, I am the “weird” lady at work who brings a giant lunch box full of fruits, veggies, and weird looking Larabars. But when I actually have something like chips or a piece of chocolate everyone is shocked that I am eating that. Talk about double standards!

9 inmytummy August 26, 2009 at 9:16 am

Pretty much every single day I get an ,”Ewww..what is that?” comment. Or if there is a bad smell coming from the ktichen, people automatically assume that it’s from something that I’ve made.

10 tracy August 26, 2009 at 9:17 am

OMG YES! this whole summer, my coworkers are both in AWE and INCREDULOUS at the amount and what i eat.
1) yogurt mess was deemed WHOA fruit overload (another coworker started copying it tho…)
2) hard boiled eggs (WHAT?! WHO ARE YOU?)
3) Egg white omelette (uhh you can eat them like that?)
4) Block of Tofu (firm) (is that..CREAMCHEESE? you are the HEALTHIEST person ever)
5) celery stalk (uhhh no peanut butter? JUST PLAIN?! WTF?)
6) cauliflower (PLAIN? WHO BRINGS THAT?!)

=D

11 brandi August 26, 2009 at 9:20 am

i like the chocolate superfood one, too, but I need a good smoothie cup like that to bring with me!

i love freaking out people sometimes with my food, too πŸ™‚ it’s funny that people get so worked up over food that I’M eating.

12 Allison August 26, 2009 at 9:24 am

OMG – Yes – and YES! All the time my coworkers are like “UHHHHHHHH WHAT is that crazy looking thing?!?!” and I just smile and explain πŸ™‚

13 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) August 26, 2009 at 9:24 am

People just used to make fun of the amount of food I brought to work. I would bring a little lunch cooler and eat something every 3 hours or so.

14 Kimberly Lee August 26, 2009 at 9:36 am

I get comments all the time from my co-workers about my eating habits. Now that I am pregnant and paying careful attention to the food I put in my body I keep hearing – “You are eating too healthy for a pregnant woman. Eat some doughnuts or candy bars”. Talk about flawed logic – pregnancy is the MOST improtant time to eat healthy.

15 Traci August 26, 2009 at 9:44 am

Haha! That is too funny. My coworkers comment all the time. Some of the guys call me a witch doctor with all my concoctions and remedies. I love to help people eat healthy so I put out healthy snaks for them and they have come to actually like them! Oh, of course I put out some chocalate to go with, but everything in moderation right? πŸ™‚

16 fittipexchange August 26, 2009 at 9:48 am

I used to dread going getting up for school at 6am…now I’m like you and I am an early bird! Congrats on 6 week day miles!

Fortunately for me I work in a Wellness Center so healthy lunches are encouraged! People do tend to get curious when I bring in “crazy” leftovers, though πŸ˜‰

17 MelissaNibbles August 26, 2009 at 9:52 am

Wow, that is VERY early for kids to be heading to school. Well, at least they’ll be prepared to enter the workforce.

I enjoy freaking out my coworkers too! They’re always commenting on my oatmeal of all things. I never realized oatmeal was weird. I guess it is to some people though. I like it and that’s all that matters. Have a great day!

18 Ryan @ Greens for Good August 26, 2009 at 9:58 am

I love when people think it’s weird, I convince them it tastes amazing, and then somehow get them to try it. Most of the time they end up eating some of the things I do πŸ™‚

19 Kelly August 26, 2009 at 10:04 am

I always get comments at work on what I am eating for lunch! The people here order out every day! Not only do I find that to be a waste of money, but I like to eat fairly healthy during the week and save my splurges for the weekends with my family!

PS. I made a chocolate smoothie today too, and I tried blending in the new chocolate tofu (that I saw on a blog-think this one?) IT WAS AWESOME!

20 Bridget August 26, 2009 at 10:04 am

Yeah I get comments…mostly because I work with a lot of 20-something guys who choose between 1 sub place or the other pretty much everyday haha. ALthough our head boss man always commetns on how frequently I eat hahaha…”your eating again!?” “how do you do it!?”, but I like him because he likes to eat good too…he’ll grill up fish and veggies sometimes at work!

21 lilveggiepatch August 26, 2009 at 10:19 am

I bring food to work all the time! Last week I made myself an Amazing Grass smoothie, and the week before I brought fresh figs… my coworkers think I’m a total weirdo, but they always come to me for snacks when they’re hungry!

22 Sarah August 26, 2009 at 10:20 am

Ok, where do you find the time to work out and prepare awesome eats with your little puppy? I’m jealous! Does Maddie sleep through the night when you go to bed that early? My little pup has completely changed my routine and I don’t know how to get back to working out with feeling like I’m neglecting him πŸ™

23 Meghann August 26, 2009 at 10:37 am

it helps that I just throw clothes on on my way out the door and this morning I just french braided my hair instead of trying to blow dry it or straighten it. I also drank my smoothie on my way to work.

Maddie gets up at 4:00 but I just let her out and she goes right back to sleep. She usually passes out on the couch around 8:00 anyways.

24 Sarah August 26, 2009 at 11:34 am

Thanks for the tips!

25 ksgoodeats August 26, 2009 at 10:21 am

I don’t get comments thank goodness! I expected one last night though when I busted out my Larabar. 8:30? Wow! I wish I could get my mind to shut off that early!

26 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 26, 2009 at 10:27 am

I absolutely LOVE it when people remark on my food, haha. πŸ™‚

Glad you got to bed early, that is a new goal of mine too. I made it around 9 last night but not intentionally. Had to get up once to change my clothes and brush my teeth before going back to sleep.

27 Sarah August 26, 2009 at 10:44 am

My roommates won’t even watch me consume a green monster because they think they’re so weird! I love to drink them, though, and make them deal with it! Why is it that drinking something green seems gross?!

28 Heather August 26, 2009 at 10:45 am

I’m definitely an early-to-bed, early-to-rise type of girl! Always have been. I’m pretty much always fast asleep by 10:15 since I have to wake up at 5 to get my puppy and myself ready to leave for work at 6:25.

29 Leah August 26, 2009 at 10:52 am

I ALWAYS get comments about my food! haha. I love it. If it smells funny in the office, they assume its my lunch and always check it out. A couple of the girls know I have a goodie drawer and come hit me up for snacks. I’ve even gone to the grocery store/lunch with some of the girls and help them with making healthier choices or giving them unique ideas for lunch! Our receptionist always asks me what she should make with her dinner or a different way to prepare her usuals. I love it.

30 Jenna August 26, 2009 at 10:54 am

I am the same way meghann i could stay up all night but i rather get my beauty sleep πŸ˜‰
the green chocolate monster looks delish, i need to try it asap!
haha and i love how you are not shy about what you eat! you are very confident in what you eat and you don’t really care what others think! great for you πŸ™‚
jenna

31 Bree August 26, 2009 at 10:56 am

Yes – I do get comments and funny looks. I got comments about my chocolate Amazing Meal shake in fact! I stopped trying to defend my food since I get no where, and take pride in my choices now. The thing that still bothers me is the flack I get for turning down donuts….which happened again this morning. Boo.

32 Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 26, 2009 at 10:58 am

My friends totally mock my green smoothies, but once I make them try it, there’s no turning back!

33 Danielle August 26, 2009 at 11:04 am

Bringing a green monster to work definitely got me the weirdest looks!

34 Evan Thomas August 26, 2009 at 11:07 am

I have much more energy in the morning than the people around me, too, but that’s because I cannot stay up past 11. Even on vacation I was out like a light by 11:30 every night, and I did not regret it one bit

35 Suzanne August 26, 2009 at 11:10 am

I just moved in with my boyfriend and I hadn’t let him in on my new green monster breakfast habit. He was pretty stunned when he saw the dirty blender in the sink Monday morning lol.

36 Haleigh August 26, 2009 at 11:13 am

My family and friends are always looking at me weird because of the foods that I eat and come up with, it’s nothing new anymore.. i used to get offended by it but now i try to teach them πŸ™‚

37 Run Sarah August 26, 2009 at 11:13 am

I’ve been trying to get to bed earlier and earlier so I can start waking up earlier. I used to be a night owl but I’m finding I love being more energized in the AM now!

38 Rosey Rebecca August 26, 2009 at 11:15 am

My co-workers were always so confused at how I was losing weight when I snacked all day! They’d tell me that I was eating too much while they scarfed down bagels with cream cheese in the morning and then were starving by lunch!

I love that you went to bed at 8:30. I feel that I can get so much more accomplished when I go to bed early and wake up super early the next day!

39 ~carolyn~ August 26, 2009 at 11:19 am

My co-workers love all the crazy food I bring…whether it is a green smoothie or greek yogurt with peanut/almond butter and granola. I tell that I learn about all these great things on the healthy food blogs I read! They all tell me to start my own so I can educate them…naw, I just send them to yours.

40 dee (the apple hill adventurer) August 26, 2009 at 11:24 am

that pita looks so loney and empty inside

i think it needs some apples and banana slices to feel complete

41 dee (the apple hill adventurer) August 26, 2009 at 11:25 am

OOPS. *lonely, my brain runs faster than my finger know how to type sometimes

42 Elsa August 26, 2009 at 11:25 am

My husband always looks at me strange when I bring out weird looking food. I made a green smoothie one morning and he was afraid to try it and last night I made quinoa and he kept asking me what it was. I tell him to trust me, I would never give him something that tasted bad! So far, so good!

43 loveprevails August 26, 2009 at 12:06 pm

OMG lol. I totally get weird looks and comments occasionally, except I am the total opposite, I get totally embarrassed!! LOL. Way to go with the self pride and not letting them offend you πŸ™‚

44 Nicci August 26, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Just yesterday My coworkers said I eat weird food! because my smoothies I bring to work are green. They also think hummus is sounds and looks gross. I just think ppl should explore and try new things. It’s wont’ kill you!

45 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) August 26, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I’ve been known to weird people out by my oatmeal, which is standard around the food bloggers. Just oats with pb and banana, but people think adding the pb in is a little weird. Or having a savory oatmeal with a hardboiled egg.

Love GM’s with chocolate – I need to order some more Amazing Grass!

46 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 26, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I get comments all the time, and personally, I think it is rude. Do I stare at their big bag of chips that they polish on in one sitting and tell them “that’s just too greasy for me”? no!

47 Susan August 26, 2009 at 4:55 pm

The people I work with actually always tell me my food looks good. I think they wish they were eating better foods, but for some reason get take-out everyday.

I do drink coffee, but I find getting up early and working up a sweat to start the day is WAY more effective than caffeine!! I have SO much more energy for the rest of the day when I work out in the morning!

48 GiGi August 26, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Hi!! What’s the recipe for the Chocolate Green Monster drink? I’d like to try it. BTW Great Blog!

49 Pearl August 26, 2009 at 5:43 pm

chocolate green monster sounds like quite a combination!

50 GiGi August 26, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Just saw the recipe, skipped it…Sorry :-)…but where can i find the amazing grass chocolate powder?

51 angieinatlanta August 26, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I’m obsessed with sleep as well. I think I’d go to bed as soon as I finished dinner, if I didn’t have other things to do.

Love the chocolate green monster! I have some form of amazing grass chocolate super food every single day!

52 Ali August 26, 2009 at 6:30 pm

HA! I always get comments about the way I eat. But, I have another co-worker that eats a lot like me so I don’t see as weird! I think it is funny though that people think I eat weird things….It’s just normal to me now.

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I totally agree with you on the Chocolate AG powder…It is so good! Sometimes I drink it just with water and I don’t mind it too much. Its good in a pinch.

I would LOVE to be able to fall asleep that early. I have never been able to go to bed early for some reason. I lay awake for hours. Ive always been more of a night person, often staying up until midnight. You have inspired me to try to get to bed a bit earlier! I love seeing the sunrise on a run.

54 Anne August 28, 2009 at 12:38 pm

i live in nyc and i bring green monsters on the subway – that definitely gets looks! and ive had conversations with random strangers about it too πŸ™‚

55 Jess September 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm

haha, I totally agree about the “eating weird to freak people out”! I have always eaten weird, and now that I mix in “health” food too it’s out of control! Love it!