Turkey Parmesan Burger

by Meghann on August 25, 2009

Damn rain. :(

I had these big plans to take Maddie to the park for the first time after work, instead dark clouds moved in and discouraged my plans. Now Maddie is crazy full of energy and the only thing I can let her do is run laps around my tiny apartment. I’m crossing my fingers for sunshine tomorrow!

Before the rain ruined my plans I had a lovely Pineapple Chobani with some Tropical Love Bites from Blue Mountain Organics.

I really did not enjoy the Love Bites on their own when I tried them last, but they were fantastic mixed into the pineapple chobani.

As soon as the pineapple flavors hits the shelves in your neck of the woods I suggest you pick it up and try it out. The pineapple flavor is perfect without being overly sweet.

If you notice on the label the Pineapple Chobani is actually 2% rather then the normal 0% Chobani’s fruit on the bottom greek yogurts are. The last time I had one a reader had an interesting comment about that fact.

Evan Thomas, on August 18th, 2009 at 1:17 pm Said: Edit Comment

I like the pineapple chobani but it wasn’t my favorite either. I’ve read that pineapple has enzymes which breaks down certain sugars which makes it hard to add to yogurt or ice cream. I think that’s also why it’s made with a 2% base instead of FF

Interesting, right? I love fun food facts like that.

Dinner tonight was a fun spin of the american classic of burger and fries.

I had purchased some ground turkey over the weekend and burgers were on my mind. I figure if you are going to make burgers you might as well make them interesting, so I came up with my idea for a Turkey Parmesan Burger.

While my George Foreman was heating up I combined:

• 1/4 lb Ground Turkey
  • 1T Ground Flaxseed
  • 1/6 Small Onion
  • 1/3C Marinara Sauce
  • 1t Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • S&P

I formed a patty and plopped on the George Foreman. Once it was cooked through I topped with a little more marinara sauce and a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

On the side I had some yummy Yucca Fries.

I was sad to hear Erica tried yucca for the first time the other night and did not like it. I think Yucca is one of my favorite root vegetables! Plus it is super cheap at the market.

Perhaps ketchup is the key?

Erica for my fries I just cut the yucca in fry shapes then bake in the oven with a little S&P at 375 for 20 minutes. Try it that way and tell me what you think!

Dessert was a small mix of Dark Chocolate Covered Edamame, Mini PB Cups, Annie’s Bunny Cereal and a single strawberry.

The best was having a bit of the PB cup the same time as you have a bit of the strawberry.

I still have a little more experimenting to do in my kitchen this evening. I found a fun recipe I was to try that requires overnight refrigeration and I’m going to prep my lunch for tomorrow.

Good Night!!

1 Leianna August 25, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I really want to try those yucca fries. when I saw Erica didn’t like them yesterday, I told her to see how you make the fries and try that!

2 Kat August 25, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Wow. That burger looks awesome. I am definitely going to try that at home. I also loooove yucca- never tried it in “baked fries” form. I love all of your creative ideas!
Kat

3 Lauren August 25, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Great minds think alike my dear. I had a very similar “burger and fries” kind of dinner. It rocked! :)

I admire that you love yucca out of all the root veggies. I did like it but it definitely wasn’t my favorite. Have you tried Kabocha yet? This one may change your mind….

Oh and another thing, you must try smoked paprika on root fries. It is such an amazing flavor, I promise!

Sorry the rain ruined your plans tonight. :( Hopefully Maddie will just want to chill this evening.

4 Jenna August 25, 2009 at 8:48 pm

The parmesan burger looks great! I think I will try your recipe :)
jenna

5 foodieinthecity August 25, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Turkey burgers are the best! I love putting cheese in the middle and having a surprise center!

6 Erica August 25, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Thanks so much for the tips Meghann! I really want to love it- I am going to buy it again and try your method. It may just have been the way I cooked it!

Josh LOVES the pineapple chobani- it is his absolute favorite. Interesting note about the enzymes. Regardless- I am a huge pineapple fan and can’t wait to try this flavor myself.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it is nice tomorrow! Please take lots of pics of your little cutie at the park

7 Paige at Running Around Normal August 25, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Those burgers look awesome! And I love your dessert mix. I must find this chocolate edamamd burgers you speak of. Where did you buy it?

8 angieinatlanta August 25, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Yum @ your turkey burger! And yucca fries! I love yucca, too, especially mashed yucca I usually only find at Cuban restaurants!

9 allknewleaf August 25, 2009 at 9:50 pm

That dinner looks so good!! I love yucca fries thanks to you. I had never even heard of yucca prior to seeing it on your blog but boy do I love it now. The only problem is it can be tricky to find in upstate NY!

10 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Peanut butter cups sound great with bites of strawberry

11 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Your dessert sounds lovely!!! I would like some RIGHT now!

12 Courtney August 25, 2009 at 10:33 pm

This yucca isnt yucky?! I’ll have to give it a whirl :D

13 Lizzy August 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Turkey Parmesan burger sounds amazing! sort of like chicken parm but turkey, totally killer, and its a burger which is even Better! loving this…dessert also looks sick amazing! MMMMMM

14 Rosey Rebecca August 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I LOVE the pineapple chobani! I think it’s my favorite after blueberry! Great idea with the turkey burger! I’ll have to try that!

15 chandra August 25, 2009 at 11:09 pm

I have been looking at the stores around here lately and cannot seem to find yucca anywhere. :-( I want to try it!

16 biz319 August 25, 2009 at 11:34 pm

I was bummed Erica didn’t like them either – but I deep fry my yucca root and they make amazing veggie chips! Fried at the right temp isn’t too bad!

17 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 26, 2009 at 12:22 am

I just think it’s so cute how you talk about Maddie like she’s a person lol. I’m so glad you adopted her and she makes you so happy.

18 Marissa August 26, 2009 at 3:07 am

What a photogenic strawberry!

19 Susan August 26, 2009 at 7:13 am

I did know that about pineapple actually, same reason why I can’t digest the stupid fruit!! :P Kiwis are the same way. If you leave a kiwi in yogurt, it will separate and go all nasty.

I bought yuca weeks ago to make fries with but it’s been too hot to use the oven! Soon, I hope!

20 Allison August 26, 2009 at 7:54 am

When I saw Erica say that she didn’t like them – I immediately thought of you because i know you love them! (then I saw you left her a comment) I’m still too scared to make them (they always looks super nasty at my market)

Sorry about the rain! Make sure (as if I need to say this) that you take lots of pictures of Maddies first park experience :D

21 Ryan @ Greens for Good August 26, 2009 at 8:39 am

I think I totally overcooked my yucca fries when I made them, so I will definitely be remaking them according to your directions (thanks btw!) I’ve had actual fried yucca fries at a restaurant in Sarasota and they were AMAZING. So creamy and flavorful. Yum!

Erica, don’t give up!

22 Danielle August 26, 2009 at 8:46 am

Interesting fact, I was wondering why they were 2%, but the pineapple is so delicious!
That burger sounds like something I would absolutely love!

23 Brea August 26, 2009 at 10:01 am

YUM dessert looks great! I have yet to try yucca fries and you’ve also got me interested in okra. I hope to give both a try soon :)

24 Stephanie August 26, 2009 at 11:23 am

dessert looks great! and so creative!

25 Katie August 26, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I made a burger similar to this the other day! it was super yummy.

I have not heard of people covering edemame in dark chocolate…hmmmm…where would I find such a thing?

26 Meghann August 26, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I found mine at Trader Joes and they are very good!

27 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) August 26, 2009 at 1:27 pm

That burger looks great, I hadn’t thought of putting flax in our burgers but what a great idea!

I love your combos, even if your coworkers might think it’s a little weird ;)

28 Ali August 26, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I tried the pineapple and I liked it, but I felt like I was a little disappointed that I didn’t really taste any pineapple flavor. DO you think it tastes like pineapple? Your turkey burger looks so good! And…I need to try yuca fries! Oh- and I had okra for the first time last night. I love it!