High School

by Meghann on August 25, 2009

Happy Tuesday!

I woke up this morning with Maddie curled up in a ball on my chest. At least its better then on my head. When Abbie was a puppy she used to love to sleep on top of my head. I can’t imagine how puppies get comfortable in positions like that, but I guess it is just as close as they possibly can be to us.

After taking the little fur ball out I took off on a nice and easy four mile run.

I took a different turn this morning and ended up running by a bus stop that had about a dozen high schoolers waiting for the bus. It made me feel like I was in high school all over again as they all stopped and stared at the crazy running lady go by. In high school I didn’t like to draw attention to myself and it’s funny when I get around that age group I still feel the same way.

What were you like in High School?

I was the cheerleader who did all the things you were suppose to do in high school. I went to all the school dances, took all honors and AP classes, never came home after curfew, cheered at all the football and basketball games, wrote for the school newspaper and spent all my free time in the photography lab.

I was also very shy, hung out with the friends I had out of convenience and tried desperately to fit in with the cool kids. I could go on and on about my High School years, but I’ll save that for another day. I just wish I had some pictures online somewhere that I could share!

Well back to food….

IMG_0696

Last night I decided the other half of my Peach Crisp would make the perfect breakfast addition. I layered 1/2 cup GraduateMeghann’s Mix, the Peach Crisp, Blueberries and a spoonful of Honey Peanut Butter.

IMG_0694

The peach crisp was really great in the bowl of cereal. Yum! Fruit is one of those glorious things that could be classified as both a dessert and a breakfast item. 🙂

Winner, Winner, Winner!!

The 5 lucky winners of BetterU, BetterMe Kit are…

• Whit,  I make sure to eat breakfast every morning. Plus I try to fit in cardio at least 5 days a week.  My yoga mat smells like feet, so I could use a new one. Not that I am trying to influence the competition or anything.
  • Boston Lisa, I take the stairs instead of the elevator wherever I go and eat a few servings/week of almonds and walnuts!!
  • Lizzy, when i was in high school i never ate breakfast. i dunno how i survived, but now i have a healthy breakfast every morning, i work out 5-6 days a week, and everyday i make sure to have veggies and fruit at every meal!!! http://saladdiva.wordpress.com
  • Mia, In addition to eating healthy and exercising daily, I compete with myself to see how much water I can drink. I know it is silly, but I do this before I let myself have any other beverage to drink. I start with a refillable water bottle (which is on its last leg) that holds 32 ounces of water. My goal is to drink at least 3 bottles plus more when I workout. That’s 94+ ounces daily! I don’t ever wake up feeling salty or bloated any more. Your pizza looks delish! That is on our menu tonight.
  • runnerskitchen, Instead of getting on the subway near my office in the evening, I walk through Central Park and get on the subway farther uptown. I also like to eat dark chocolate :-)

Congrats ladies!! Send me an e-mail at graduatemeghann@gmail.com with your address so I can send you your prize!!

1 Rosey Rebecca August 25, 2009 at 8:59 am

I get the same way when I pass high school students!! It’s so weird!

Your breakfast looks yummy!!

2 Erica August 25, 2009 at 9:07 am

Congrats to the winnters and what a beautiful bfast bowl!

I was also a cheerleader in high school, worked super hard and played super hard! 😉 I was goody goody to the parents but had some pretty nutty nights with my pals haha

3 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) August 25, 2009 at 9:08 am

ahaha I love that Whit won – “Not that I’m trying to influence the competition or anything” lol.

HS – shy, obsessed with music (not necessarily with band, I hated marching band), all honors/ AP classes, slightly boy-crazed, hated unnecessary attention, loved English class, homecoming court senior year. It was fun, but I wouldn’t go back given the opportunity lol. 😉

4 runeatrepeat August 25, 2009 at 9:10 am

I was a lot like you in high school – cheerleader, AP classes, leadership class… I actually really had a good time 🙂

5 Voracious Vorilee August 25, 2009 at 9:13 am

I was an academic nerdy type in high school who when not hanging out with friends was writing or working part time. 🙂 I was homeschooled and started taking college classes at sixteen through a state sponsored program that allowed high school students to take college courses for both high school and college credits.

6 Britt August 25, 2009 at 9:27 am

Agreed, fruit rocks!

I wasn’t a cheerleader, but did dance and some sports… but did all the honors/AP classes, student council, yearbook, etc. But…. I still also had some fun too. But I do know that a few people classified me as a goody-goody. Oh well…. I wanted to go to a good college.

7 Rose August 25, 2009 at 9:29 am

Oh, high school. I have been thinking about it more often lately because I’ve been watching reruns of My So-Called Life 🙂

I had a lot of friends in high school but wouldn’t consider myself popular in the traditional sense. I just didn’t really discriminate against anyone (unless they did something to be!). I was an athlete (ran cross country and played softball) and was active in lots of clubs and whatnot. But I also had some crazy friends, and we stayed out late. I never did anything “bad” in high school but I did run around trying to find boys 🙂

8 Nicole August 25, 2009 at 9:38 am

Oh, high school. I would never go back!! I had a good time, but man, I am glad to be out. I was a cheerleader for a local all-star team and I ran cross country.

I was/am pretty shy and introverted but I got along with pretty much everyone. The one thing I didn’t care about, though was grades!!

9 nutritionbyeve August 25, 2009 at 9:42 am

Ah high school brings back lots of memories. I was similar to you, a little shy, did all the right things. Never was late for curfew. I was the editor in chief of our yearbook. 2 of my high school friends and I are still super close and were in my wedding 🙂

10 Whit August 25, 2009 at 9:46 am

I won! Wow, you must really feel for my yoga mat. I am sooo excited!

11 Lizzy August 25, 2009 at 9:48 am

Meghann breafast looks super awesome! so yum. i bet you your peach crisp was an excellent addition!

I’m so EXCITED that i won!!! Thanks soo soo much! 🙂

12 MelissaNibbles August 25, 2009 at 9:50 am

You can’t go wrong with fruit and peanut butter. Yum!
I was very shy in high school and focused on my school work. I think some people took it as being stuck-up, but it just took me a long time to feel comfortable around people. I got better better in college though.

13 Jenna August 25, 2009 at 9:58 am

I could live off of your breakfast combo I think, and be completely 100% satisfied!

HS- I was the sportie girl like you, who always went above and beyond, pushing myself in sports, academics, and to be in the ‘cool crowd’. I now look back and laugh to see how superficial things can be, and also smile, because I am glad that I have moved on from that stage in my life!

14 trinichiqn August 25, 2009 at 10:05 am

I was the skinny brainiac who was always reading including in class, but I was cool by association because I was friends with two really cool girls. They were twins and weren’t cool because they were athletes or bullies or outrageously skinny and gorgeous (although they were very pretty). They were cool cause they were nice, kind and genuine so everybody loved them.

But every teenager has a mean streak so even though I was shy and very low on the totem pole, I am ashamed to say that I took great pleasure in making another girl cry. I got 100% in a test that she only got like only 95 or something, we were usually neck&neck and she didn’t like anyone to beat her so I took great pleasure of rubbing my succes in her face especially since I didn’t need to study to do it. In my defense I was 14.

15 brandi August 25, 2009 at 10:14 am

i started out well in high school, but ended up a mess in some ways. My best friend and his mom died the summer after my sophomore year, so the last 2 years were just strange for me. No AP classes, but straight As, I was in chorus all through high school and loved it, and was never in the “cool group”, even though I had a bunch of friends that were.

leftover fruit crisp is perfect for breakfast!

16 biz319 August 25, 2009 at 10:19 am

Just as my daughter is starting her senior year, its hard to believe that just 24 years ago I was there!

I played field hockey, indoor track, outdoor track and softball. I ran for class president every four years and lost every year!

17 Traci August 25, 2009 at 10:30 am

HS! I think everone had feelings of being shy and unsure of themselves somewhere along the way. HS was a good time but I would never want to relive it. Not bad memories, just feel like I was so unsure of who I was and not confident at all. I was a gymnast (HS team and private) which took up tons of my time.

18 Mia August 25, 2009 at 10:57 am

Yay! I can’t believe I am one of the winners! This never happens. Thank you, thank you!!!

My high school days were packed with sports! I was involved in volleyball and we practiced all of the time. My freshman year, I ended up blowing out my knee at the beginning of the season (which ended up taking the whole season to heal). My sophomore year I broke my wrist two weeks into volleyball season (which took too long to heal). I ended up supporting my team and helping the other girls as much as I could from the sidelines. I would have rather played, but everything happens for a reason, right?

What grocery store do you get all of your fruit from? It always looks so fresh!

19 carolinebee August 25, 2009 at 11:09 am

I was the SAME in hs, ha we probly would’ve hung out! I still get so awk around that age group…like, they’re judging me or something! Hah well they probably are…but that’s just bc they are at such an awkward age! I loved hs but college was better..and I’m glad it’s all in the past now 😀

20 Erin August 25, 2009 at 11:12 am

Ha my dog occasionally sleeps on my head, too. 🙂

21 Pam August 25, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I was the same way in high school! Cheerleader, always home, honors and AP classes but also very shy. I always felt so judged! Despite what people say, I don’t think high school is the best time of your life! I feel much more comfortable now.

22 Robin Le Roy-Kyle August 25, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Oh, the PB combos look yummy! Found you on Caitlin’s list, and wandered over… great food photos! (my other interest/blog) :o)

HS? Kind of blended in, and ended up becoming a teacher… go figure! The fact that they acknowledged you was pretty amazing – they are a bit… self-absorbed, shall we say… lol

Looking forwarding to following you,
Robin

23 inmytummy August 25, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I was kind of a hippie. And kind of a slacker, although I got decent grades.

24 Jenna August 25, 2009 at 12:55 pm

in high school i played three sports all four years of my high school career, soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. i was a good student, i would study but once it got late and i got tired i would put the books away and get my beatuy sleep. i didn’t stress out over school work as much as some of my other friends did! i didn’t take any AP classes, i just took all honors classes and i did extremely well. i wanted my high school years to be fun and exciting, i didn’t want to be worried about school work all the time!
jenna

25 Monica C. August 25, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Many moons ago, when I was in high school, I started off sweet and innocent, but finished up being very popular and sort of a party girl. I ran cross country and was on the basketball team, but was not particularly good at either one. I was very smart, but usually did not apply myself enough, thereby resulting in lots of Bs. Luckily, I went to a small private school that was very academically challenging, so I was well-prepared for college.

26 Evan Thomas August 25, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I’m glad I went to a small high school where I could be a part of every clique and be friends with everyone. I like all my friends, but I see these people who’ve hung around with the same group 4 years straight and I think that’d get boring

27 christina August 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Just came across your blog and I love it! I’m also a runner, and it’s nice to see other bloggers who run and are foodies =)

28 Amy C. August 25, 2009 at 2:03 pm

In high school I was a year round runner (xc, indoor track, spring track), musician (in band, marching band, and in the musicals), all honors/AP kid, and was on a bunch of committees like the leadership club, literary magazine, national honor society, etc. Our class was small (150 kids) so I kind of mingled with a lot of people but kept a close circle of friends in my classes and sports. I was on the quiet side but was just kind of the friendly, nice kid who didn’t want much attention. Our high school tends to stay in touch with one another. I still am best friends with the same girls and still keep in touch with a bunch of other friends. 🙂

29 cookinfanatic August 25, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Yummm there’s that peach crisp again!! 🙂

HS – I would say that I did really well in classes while not really wanting to attend them 😉 I had an older boyfriend for most of the time and spent my time with him/his friends… I def enjoyed college wayyy more and felt more “at home” there than HS for sure!

30 fittipexchange August 25, 2009 at 2:46 pm

So, I have been a long time blog reader, and never a blog writer, but I have been inspired to start my own blog! Check it out at FitTipExchange.wordpress.com !

31 Amanda August 25, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I think dogs and cats like sleeping on our heads because our heads let off heat, so it’s a warm spot for them. My cat used to sleep on my head. My dog, however, has always been way too big for that. He’s currently 95 lbs. 🙂

32 Susan August 25, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I was the exact opposite in high school 😛 Total rebel, always up to no good, punk rocker with hair every colour of the rainbow. I like to say I got it all out of my system while I was in the safe hands of my parents. But there’s still a punk in me somewhere 😉

33 Melissa August 25, 2009 at 7:25 pm

great bfast!

34 angieinatlanta August 25, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Oh man – I teach high school so I have about 50 flashbacks a day!

I was just like you, the “good” girl who was terribly insecure!