more ยป" />

Vegetables

by Meghann on August 24, 2009

Vegetables. What I wanted for dinner tonight was vegetables. Lots and lots of vegetables.

I knew I wanted vegetables, but the question was how I wanted these vegetables served. On top of a salad? Steamed? In a stir fry?

How about all three?

I wanted a salad, I wanted steamed veggies and I wanted a stir fry sauce. So I simply combined it all. Yum!

For starters I made a quick and easy Almond Butter Stir Fry Sauce/ Tofu Marinade which consisted of Almond Butter, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Ground GInger and Apple Cider Vinegar. I marinaded a 1/3 of a package of already cubed tofu in the marinade and then baked it at 420 for 15 minutes.

While the tofu was baking I steamed 1/2 a Sweet Potato, Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Asparagus.

When everything was finish I topped a bed of spinach with the steamed veggies, baked tofu, sesame seeds, and the rest of the Almond Butter Stir Fry Sauce.

Yum! It was light, refreshing and everything I was craving. ๐Ÿ™‚

For dessert I was feeling a little adventurous. Thanks to my trip to the Farmer’s Market on Saturday I am now experiencing a peach over flow. What better for an excess amount of peaches then a lovely peach crisp? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I used Kath’s friend’s Ashley’s recipe for a Healthy Peach Crisp, but scaled everything way back and revamped it to fit my tastes.

Here’s the recipe I ended up with

Filling:

• 1 Peach
  • 1t WW Flour
  • 1/2T Brown Sugar
  • 1t Lemon Juice

Cut the peach in thin slices and coat with the flour, brown sugar and lemon juice. Layer on the bottom of a mini loaf pan

Topping:

• 3T Rolled Oats
  • 3T WW Flour
  • 1/2T Brown Sugar
  • 1t Cinnamon
  • Teeny Tiny Pinch of Salt
  • 1T Butter
  • 1T Plain Yogurt

Combine all the dry ingredients and then add in the wet until you get a dough. Spread the dough atop the peach mix in the mini loaf pan.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

I had 1/2 the finished crisp with a spoonful of Coconut Milk Vanilla Ice Cream.

YUM!!! This wasn’t very sweet so if you want it to be sweeter then add more sugar. It’s all up to your tastes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Before I left work this afternoon I snacked on a serving of Brazil Nuts.

I love how nuts instantly fill me, they really are the perfect snack.

In Maddie Training News…

I am happy to announce we are making some progress on the house breaking front with Maddie. She has wised up to the fact that if she potties outside she will get a piece of cheese. It’s funny how quickly they learn when there is cheese involved. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It’s a slow process but I think she is getting it. Now we just need to work with her biting and chewing. One step at a time I guess.

1 Jenna August 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I was in the same boat as you. I couldn’t get enough veggies! My salad bowl was overflowing.

That peach crisp looks to die for. I had some last night and it totally hit the spot.

Awsome job with Maddie. Enjoy your evening!

2 Erica August 24, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Hmmm I wish I had like the yuca ๐Ÿ™ Its the first vegetable I don’t like ๐Ÿ™

Delicious bowl of veggies and an even better dessert. I love your meals- so creative!

3 Jenna August 24, 2009 at 8:46 pm

well i am glad maddie is finally learning to go do her duties outside!
and i totally agree with you on nuts being the perfect healthy snack that fill you up!
that peach crisp looks oh so yummy!
jenna

4 randomlymikey August 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm

that salad/stirfry looks amazing. gawd i have been craving tofu lately! i share your love for nut a few can get me by for quite awhile.

5 Annamarina August 24, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I remember when my dog was chewing and biting and I thought she never would grow out of it! My husband and I joke now and say “remember when she used to bite on us ALL the time?!” Oh, yes, I do remember! I tried every bit of training advice but it ended up just being something she grew out of. Thank goodness! And we have found that Nylabones work great for chewing…she loves them!

6 Leianna August 24, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Thats a great veggie mix, salad and steamed veggies with almond butter sauce!

7 angieinatlanta August 24, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Yum! That salad looks nutritiously delicious (what a dorky thing to say!)!

And I think I may have to make that peach crisp; it looks too good to pass up!

8 Evan Thomas August 24, 2009 at 9:55 pm

I like just microwaving a peach and topping it with granola, but if I was at all a patient person I would definitely make that in a heart beat

9 biz319 August 24, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Love what you had for dinner – perfect! Our dog was a year old when we got him, so I’ve never done the potty training thing, but he definitely knows how to earn treats!

10 janetha August 24, 2009 at 9:59 pm

glad to hear the potty training is moving right along! today is national peach pie day, i think your dessert counts as a valid celebration!!

11 cookinfanatic August 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm

I so have to make this peach crisp, our FM had an abundance of peaches this past Sat and I think I’ll have to stock up next time around!! Yummmm ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Julia August 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm

That veggie-ful dinner sounded amazing!
Congrats on the Maddie training progress! I’m sure she’ll be trained in no time!

13 Haleigh August 24, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I have been eyeing that cobbler on Kath’s blog! Yours looks delicious as well, I need to give it a try soon! Glad to hear that the Maddie training is going well!

xoxo

14 Rosey Rebecca August 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm

The peach crisp looks awesome! I’ll have to try that!

15 Lizzy August 24, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Yay for maddie making more progress..always a major plus! My best friend is about to get 2 new puppies so they will be experiencing alot of what you are too!

Your salad for dinner tonight seriously looks amazing. i love combining all the flavors and things your craving into one huge bowl! totally loving it!

16 Nicole C. August 24, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Oh wow, that peach crisp looked so good! I don’t know you were only able to eat half of it. I would have devoured the whole thing!

17 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 24, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Cool dinner ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Teresica August 25, 2009 at 12:03 am

One thing I did with my puppy when she was still a baby and a biter.. Every time she would try to mouth my hand, I would put a bone in her mouth (and of course not play with my hands with her in that way).
Now she doesn’t bite and she chews lots of bones so her teeth are healthy. …It is hard to be consistent though when they’re so small and adorable with anything they do…

19 ttfn300 August 25, 2009 at 6:33 am

i love your dinners ๐Ÿ™‚ and wish i had that same sort of creativity! peach crisp, too… yum!

20 Lauren August 25, 2009 at 7:23 am

These veggie/tofu stir fries make the very best dinners. I am getting excited to make one again just looking at yours.

I love when you have a reason to make a yummy dessert because of an abundance of fruit. What a better reason than that?

Have a great day hun!

21 Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 25, 2009 at 7:53 am

What is it with dogs and cheese?! hahahaha
Love the veggie goodness!

22 Jess (Fit Chick in the City) August 25, 2009 at 8:21 am

The veggies look tasty!

23 Danielle August 25, 2009 at 8:24 am

Yummy dinner!
Dogs will do anything for cheese! Glad Maddie is getting better with the housetraining.

24 Ada August 25, 2009 at 8:32 am

Yum, that peach cobbler looks might fine;) I’m glad Maddie is learning to be house broken. I’m trying to train a puppy that too and it is SO difficult, especially in an NYC apartment where there’s no yard:(

25 Lauren August 25, 2009 at 12:24 pm

haha, I love reading about the Maddie housbreaking saga. She’s such a cutie! My boyfriend and I recently adopted a bull terrier mix (he’s 4 months old), who was supposedly housebroken but needs to relearn the basics. He’s making good progress, but we’d love for him to learn that he needs to just go when he gets outside…not hold it for 45 minutes ๐Ÿ˜‰

Housebreaking woes aside, puppies are so sweet ๐Ÿ™‚ Our little dog gets so excited by how excited we get when he goes outside! You’re very right: dogs learn quickly when a reward is involved. (Our puppy for some reason loves baby carrots, so he gets 2 of these when he goes outside).

26 Lauren August 25, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Oh, in terms of the play biting…we dealt with that a lot when we first brought our dog home three weeks ago. His nipping is purely an expression of excitement, but it’s still unacceptable. One very effective method we found for curtailing the play biting was shouting “Ouch!” when he nipped at our hands, and then ignoring him. He understood fairly quickly that we would not play with him when he got mouthy.

We’ve also enrolled our dog in one-on-one puppy obedience courses, and they’ve been really helpful. He loves the attention and is very eager to learn and please.

27 Ali August 25, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Oh yay! I am so glad that Maddie is getting the hang of it!!! HAHA! My dog will do anything for a little cheese!

28 Jenny August 25, 2009 at 4:09 pm

haha i love your indecisive veggie meal – when in doubt, go for all the options!