First Day of School

by Meghann on August 24, 2009

Even though the schools where my parents live started classes a couple of weeks ago, today was the first day of classes for schools around me. You know what that means…. school zones and heavy traffic. Grrr…..

It was fun listening to the radio stations this morning talk to parents taking their 5 year old to their first day of Kindergarten. Is it strange I still remember my first day?

My teacher was Mrs. Perry and my Mom made me wear this ugly pink sweater that I hated and ended up losing the first day. I was very shy, so when they accidentally put a nametag on me that said I was suppose to go to the car pick up lane and not the buses I never spoke up.

Instead I started crying that afternoon when I realized all the other kids were being picked up by their parents. I thought since I missed my bus I would never see mine again. Eventually it all was straightened out, but to this day when ever I see Mrs. Perry she likes to remind me of that story.

Do you remember your first day of Kindergarten?

I had a pretty hard core weekend of running, so this morning I decided to take it easy. I stretched out my legs with Yoga for Runners on yogadownload.com and did a 15 Ab routine thanks to ExerciseTV on Demand.

Breakfast was a favorite Monday morning staple

IMG_0664

• 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Strawberry Yogurt O’s
  • 3/4 cup Nature’s Path Organic Heritage Heirloom Whole Grains
  • 2 spoonfuls Meg’s Tropical Jammin Mix
  • 1 spoonful Ground Flaxseed
  • Pluot
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Plain Chobani

IMG_0665

It was a great bowl of cereal.

I have a big project for work coming up this week, which will hopefully make the week fly by. I just hope it doesn’t mean too many late hours. We’ll see!

Have a great Monday everyone!!

1 jocelyneatsfresh August 24, 2009 at 8:29 am

Glad you could take it easy this morning and stretch it out 🙂 Always important. I can’t believe it is already back to school for kiddies in the states! Here in Canada most kids don’t go back to school till September 8th – after the long weekend 🙂
Have a good day!

2 verbalriot August 24, 2009 at 9:06 am

Ahh, I forgot about YogaDownloads! I need to get on that ASAP

I actually didn’t go to kindergarten or pre-school because I lived with my grandma on a farm until it was time for 1st grade…But I remember sitting next to a really cute boy first day of class 🙂

Hope your big project goes well!

3 haya August 24, 2009 at 9:10 am

that is such a cute story! reminds me of my kindergarten days. i was similarily super shy and didn’t speak up when i probably should have which resulted in some misunderstandings/miscommunications

schools here don’t start till after labour day so i am going to enjoy the last few traffic-free weeks.

4 Matt August 24, 2009 at 9:16 am

School traffic = bleh. I always get stuck in it because I live right next to the high school. It isn’t too bad though because I don’t really go through a school zone.

5 Bec August 24, 2009 at 9:16 am

Aww cute first day of school story! On my first day they split the jr kindergarten students into two groups of first days to make it easier I guess and I was the only girl in my group and I was so scared that I was going to be the only girl all year! I was also really nervous for french class and kept telling my mom I didn’t know enough french to have a french class… little did I know that I had more then enough knowledge of the French language to get me to grade 6 of French classes!

6 Sarah R August 24, 2009 at 9:17 am

Good luck on you project! I really don’t remember much about the first day of kindergarten. All I do remember is standing out in front of the school, holding my box of kleenex, while all the moms took pictures.

7 Lizzy August 24, 2009 at 9:18 am

yum breakfast looks full of color and all kinda of different textures!

I remember kindergarten, not my first day but the one day that does stand out i remember i had a littler girl crush on this boy named mark, and i remember the day we had our first play date! it was the best ever. His mom picked us up from school in her huge mini van and she had let us have peanut butter cups that she brought for an afternoon snack! it was the best. we got to his house and we played twister! talk about fun! hahahah

8 Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 24, 2009 at 9:24 am

My first day of Pre-K was terrifying! I use to fake sick so I could go home to be with my mommy! hahahaha

9 Jesse August 24, 2009 at 9:27 am

Aww… My Dad, who was super busy when I was a kid and I rarely saw him, would ALWAYS come to my primary school and take a picture of me getting off the bus for my first day…

Kindergarten, I insisted on doing my own hair. The picture is legendary..

10 Emily August 24, 2009 at 9:28 am

I love exercise TV on demand – its the best! 🙂

11 Kiki (Run Kiki Run) August 24, 2009 at 9:29 am

what’s a kindergarden story without the relevant pictures?? *hint * hint 🙂 x

12 tami August 24, 2009 at 9:40 am

my daughter is starting school next Wednesday, i’ll be sure to let her pick out her own clothes!

13 Kath August 24, 2009 at 9:42 am

You and I were very similar kids 🙂 I was scared of everything going wrong and cried frequently!

I also told the registration people my name was Crystal 🙂

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 24, 2009 at 9:54 am

haha wow back to school is a buzz on all the blogs today! haha.
I love the back to school feeling. I still get nervous about it though even though I’m done school. I remember my outfit I wore on my 1st day- stonewashed jean skirt and a red tank top! Still styling even back then…hahaha.

15 lilveggiepatch August 24, 2009 at 9:58 am

I remember sitting in the auditorium for “orientation” and seeing the girl in front of me with blue suede shoes and yellow stars on them. I thought we’d be best friends! Nope… she terrorized me for the next six years.

16 Hangry Pants August 24, 2009 at 10:30 am

Yes, I cried quite a bit. My sister nadine was in the 6th grade and her classroom was above mine, so whenever I would miss my mom or start to cry i would look up at the ceiling and try to think of my sister. 🙂

I love the bowl! Good luck on the work project!!!

17 Jenna August 24, 2009 at 10:57 am

Great question!!!

I was such a horrible mama’s girl. Before school, my parents dropped me off at ‘Home Base’ which was a daycare in the school. On my first day of Kindergarten, I refused to walk down the hall to my class and clung to the leg of a table, bawling my eyes out.

Eventually, they had to call my mom and have her talk me through my trauma of the first day of school. I think I am scarred for life! Kidding of course 🙂

18 caronae August 24, 2009 at 10:57 am

Good luck with the work project!
i don’t remember my first day of kindergarten, but I do remember my first day of preschool — my mom dressed me in this stupid red and blue sailor’s dress!

19 Jenna August 24, 2009 at 11:01 am

looks like a yummy breaky! good luck with work this week and all the school traffic!

20 Brandi August 24, 2009 at 11:09 am

good luck with your project!

I don’t remember my very first day, but I did always love the start of a new school year 🙂

21 Emily August 24, 2009 at 11:25 am

I remember my first day of preschool, when the teacher shoved a puzzle in front of me and my mom sneaked out while I was distracted! I remember being kind of mad about that. But, I got to wear a new dress with cherries printed on it, and my mom put red and white ribbons on my pigtails. I knew I was looking good. 🙂

Have a great week!

22 Evan Thomas August 24, 2009 at 11:36 am

I don’t remember my first day well, but I remember how every year on the first day of school my parents took a picture of me in front of our door with my backpack

23 Menden @ Skinny Menny August 24, 2009 at 11:51 am

I love your first day of school story! I remember my first day too…I had to ride the bus, and I was too shy to speak up when the bus driver got to my stop, so I just didn’t get off the bus. I was also too little for the bus driver to see me in my seat from her mirror. So…she let all the kids off the bus except for me, and then drove ALL THE WAY to her house out in the country with me still on the bus! She was horrified when she realized I was still on there, LOL! Then she had to drive me all the way back to the school, where the principal was waiting for me with my mom, ha! Memories 🙂

24 MegaNerd August 24, 2009 at 11:53 am

What a cute story! I remember my dad walked me to the bus stop on the first day of kindergarten 😀

25 Susan August 24, 2009 at 12:01 pm

All I remember from the first day of Grade 1 is getting to sit at a “big kid” desk. I also met my best friend that day, who happens to now be my roommate! 🙂

26 Paige@ Running Around Normal August 24, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Awwe such a cute kindergarten story! I swear there are no kids left who ride the bus! I always walked or rode the bus to school, but it seems like that’s not so much the case anymore.

27 Ali August 24, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I remember my first day of kindergarten. I was so scared, but I never cried! I remember being really proud of that!

Breakfast looks good! Cute bowl too!

28 Traci August 24, 2009 at 2:27 pm

That’s so funny. I remember by 1st day of kindergarten clearly too. My teacher was Mr. Ernstoff and all the little girls immediately had huge crushes on him. I remember standing at the bus stop and leaving my little sister behind (we were pretty much attached to the hip!) and how sad she was. Wow. That was so long ago. Kids don’t go back to school for a couple of more weeks here in Boston.

29 Katie August 24, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Yep, I remember my first day too! Awww…how sad for you that you thought you’d never see your parents again! I wouldn’t have said anything either, I was that painfully shy too! Good thing we grew out of it! 😉

30 Maggie August 24, 2009 at 3:46 pm

The bus forgot me my first day so my dad had to drive me. I was a VERY shy kid and I was so nervous about being late and then taking the bus home alone. But I had a WONDERFUL kindergarten teacher and she made up for all of it.

School doesn’t start here for another 2 weeks and then I’ll hear the screaming children out my window every morning 🙁

31 Lauren August 24, 2009 at 7:31 pm

ExerciseTV is so great! I love doing their ab and/or arm exercises after I go for a run…sometimes I feel like my run isn’t complete until I work a few other muscle groups!