more ยป" />

Universal Misadventures

by Meghann on August 23, 2009

Though last night turned into a series of failures, forgetfulness and poor planning on our part, I have to say it was still a great evening. It just goes to show you that sometimes nights that seem bad are really the best. ๐Ÿ™‚

Despite my cookie craziness yesterday afternoon, my tummy started to grumble for food before we left the apartment for the evening around 5:00. I knew dinner was going to be late so I had a Pomegranate Chobani with a spoonful of Kashi Go Lean.

I tend to just have yogurt for breakfast, but it makes a really great snack as well!

It seemed like everything started to unravel as soon as we got to Universal.

For starters Kelly and I decided to downside and leave our purses in the trunk. Unfortunately I forgot my keys were in my purse until I shut the trunk. Oops…

We decided to not let the keys ruin our evening and headed to the park anyways.

We were so excited to try the new roller coaster at Universal. It just opened to the public this weekend and the twist, turns and drops look pretty bad ass.

You can imagine our disappointment when we went to go stand in line and discovered the ride was shut down for the evening due to technical difficulties. ๐Ÿ™

We were even more bummed to discover the park was closing early that evening due to Rock the Universe and we had no time to rid any other rides. Oh well on to food!

Since we had made the trip we decided to just stay at CityWalk for dinner. None us had ate at the Bob Marley restaurant before and there was no wait. Sounds good to us!

We started with an assortment of Caribbean Chips that included Plantains, Sweet Potatoes, and Regular Potatoes.

At first I was considering the Veggie Patties under the main meal section.

But then I discovered the same meal for half the price and half the size.

It was a great portion, I didn’t even finish all the yucca fries.

The meal itself was kind of bland and uninspired. I was so psyched for yucca fries, but they tasted over processed and over cooked.

We had great company over dinner, but I don’t think we will be returning to this restaurant again.

But anytime Kelly and Anthony want to go out to dinner again we will be happy to accompany them! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks to Derek and his AAA membership getting these keys out of my trunk after dinner was no problem

I was so glad I had not obsessed over it and let it ruin my evening. Everything worked out fine in the end and that’s all that mattered.

It was still early in the evening so Derek and I went straight to the theater to see Funny People. The movie was ok, it was just way to long. I was expecting this really hilarious comedy and it was a sad drama. I actually dozed off a little at the end.

When I got home I was to tired to post and I knew I was meeting Kelly and Megan for an early morning run around Lake Eola in down town.

We busted out 9 miles while chit chatting the whole way. I love long runs with friends, its a great way to play catch.

During the run everyone was talking about making pancakes for breakfast. I’m a horrible pancake maker so it was waffles for me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The other day I discovered this bad of Cornmeal I had purchased in San Antonio a few months ago, but never used. I figured this morning would be the perfect time to test it out in the some Cornmeal Waffles.

When I was younger I used to use the Jiffy Cornbread Mix to make Corn Waffles and Pancakes all the time, but have made them in forever. Instead of going with Jiffy though I scoured the internet and found a simple cornmeal waffle recipe here.

I halved the recipe and topped it with a mix of Peaches and Blueberries heated up with just a touch of syrup. Yum!

I felt the presentation was missing something, so I added a spoonful of ground flaxseed and a dollop of plain Chobani. Perfect.

I gobbled this up faster then the commerical break during Cooking with Giada. It was great and I was starving!

Sundays are my unwind day and I’m hoping this Sunday will be the same. I just want to sit back and relax before another fun filled week of work begins. I hope everyone else is doing the same!

1 Evan Thomas August 23, 2009 at 10:45 am

Sounds like it all worked out in the end and was a good time with friends, and that’s what really matters

And plantain chips sound really interesting. I looked for plantains at the store last night but couldn’t find any

2 MegaNerd August 23, 2009 at 11:41 am

Your waffles look like they turned out awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks for running with me this morning. Long runs fly by with good company!

3 Nicole August 23, 2009 at 11:52 am

I was so disappointed in Funny People as well! I was expecting something so different, as a ton of my favorite actors/comedians were in it!

4 Erica August 23, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Glad ya’ll had fun despite all the challenges. The chips do look yummy and your breakfast looks even better. I hope you have a nice Sunday

5 Emily August 23, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I haven’t been to Universial in at least 4 years. It sucks that so many things went wrong, but you were right to not let it bother you. There is really nothing you can do about it but laugh!

I think the last time I went, there wasn’t even a Bob Marley restaruant. I love that type of food, when it’s done right, i.e. full of flavors, etc.

Your waffles are amazing! Great inspiration for me!

6 Whit August 23, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Looks like a great evening anyway! Triple A is the best. I should so sign on with them. I am forever blowing a tire, losing a key or locking a key in the car. Oh the misadventure that is my life.

7 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) August 23, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I had a corn/ peach breakfast combo too. Mine were supposed to be corn and peach pancakes but the batter was a tad thin so we went with corn “crepes” with peaches. ๐Ÿ˜‰

8 Angela (Run Study Eat) August 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for posting the link to that recipe! I tend to enjoy waffles more than pancake–but can never find a decent waffle maker (it’s the really strong old school steel ones that last the longest, but I can never find a good one). Anywho, I’m a big cornbread fan, I love when pizza places line the bottom of the crust with cornmeal, and I can’t wait to make cornmeal waffles! Mmm! Maybe strawberry cornmeal…

9 Leianna August 23, 2009 at 12:17 pm

What a bad series of events, but good for you making the most of it and the dinner looks great! Those waffles look amazing too, thanks for the recipe!

10 Amanda August 23, 2009 at 12:17 pm

It looks like your series of unfortunate events turned out good after all! Triple A is a life saver. They towed my old car countless times before I decided it was time to invest in a new car ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 23, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Those plantain chips are so cool lookin’! I’m glad you didn’t let the keys in the trunk ruin your evening. I would have totally freaked out and stressed out about it. Everything works out in the end…for the most part!

12 lessonstolearn August 23, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I locked my keys in my trunk just before going in to take my GREs! I was totally distracted. Good for you for not thinking about it all night.

Looks like a great start to your Sunday…a good run and a good breakfast!

13 Kelly August 23, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I think those real corn meal waffles are a great substitute for Jiffy! They look really good!

14 Matt August 23, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I am going to have to try those waffles!

15 angieinatlanta August 23, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Kudos to you for not letting mishaps ruin your night!

And for your impressive run this morning!

16 MelissaNibbles August 23, 2009 at 1:18 pm

You’re so lucky to be able to go to Universal whenever you want! I would’ve left my keys in the trunk too. Why waste time when there’s fun to be had?
Your breakfast looks YUMMY!

17 Taylor Leigh August 23, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Yummy breakfast! I’m horrible at making pancakes too, but I recently bought organic batter blaster and makes it so easy to make! Check out their website: http://www.batterblaster.com/ I know it sounds like a weird name, but trust me, they are delicious!

18 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 23, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Mmm I love Jamaican patties.

19 Jenna August 23, 2009 at 3:55 pm

ahhh I love Universal! You are so lucky to have season passes there! You should try Jimmy Buffet’s, great food and atmosphere!
Jenna

20 Lizzy August 23, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I’ve never been to universal, thats my next adventure in life! I’m glad you didnt let locking your keys keep you from having fun!

21 Lauren August 23, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Sorry about the ride bust, but sounds like the evening was not a total bust regardless.

I love lazy day Sundays. It makes going into the week so bareable.

Hope you enjoy relaxing!

22 Liz August 23, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I totally agree with your take on Funny People. I was expecting something completely hilarious and was a really disappointed. Those waffles look yummy!

23 Niki August 23, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Glad it all worked out in the end!! And the waffles look so good! Never would have thought to use corn meal!

24 Kaitlyn August 23, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Sounds like you had such a fun day! Things that go wrong sometimes make the best stories to laugh about later on.

Just wondering if you noticed you have some typos in your post? Think you meant to say downsize instead of downside….ride i/o rid…..too tired i/o to tired ….

25 Courtney August 23, 2009 at 7:52 pm

So I don’t even know where to begin. Love your review on Funny People, I didn’t know whether it was worth seeing or not. Love that you also lock your keys in your trunk. And my poor tastebuds are begging me for pomegranate chobani. I can’t find chobani anywhere local!

26 Melissa S. August 23, 2009 at 9:00 pm

oh Meghann…never leave your purse in the trunk, esp with your keys! LOL.

but alas, you made the evening work! yay!

27 Pam August 23, 2009 at 9:02 pm

That stinks you didn’t get to ride the roller coaster. At least you live close enough to go back!

AAA is the best. Used them twice this week!

28 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 23, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Bob Marley restaurant!!! Crazy!!!!

29 luckytastebuds August 23, 2009 at 11:21 pm

oh my gosh oh my gosh your cornmeal waffles are GOURMET. I swear i thought i missed something and that you got it at a restaurant. thanks so much for sharing the recipe link. I will DEFINITELY use it to make my bf some cornmeal waffles! I wonder how yours came out so much better looking than the picture in allrecipes. ๐Ÿ˜› hehehe

30 MarathonVal August 23, 2009 at 11:42 pm

I’ve been on a big cornmeal kick too recently.. I just realized I have TONS of cornmeal sitting around and I know it lasts quite a while, but I wanted to use it up – I def. foresee some cornmeal waffles in my future this week too!

31 Tammy Eros August 24, 2009 at 9:54 am

At least you kept a positive attitude! That’s hard sometimes, but somehow it makes everything laughable later!

32 Katie August 24, 2009 at 3:21 pm

How sad that the ride was closed! I love Universal so I can’t wait to ride it on my next trip to Orlando!

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed with Bob Marleys either. I ate there a couple years ago and never went back during the two summers that I lived in Orlando. I did like Pat O’Briens though!