Trader Joe’s Raw Crunchy Almond Butter

by Meghann on August 21, 2009

Goals for this weekend:

• Finalize Marathon Training Plan
  • Clean Apartment ( I may or may not still have an open suitcase spread out in my living room)
  • Try to teach Maddie to poop and pee outside and not in the living room
  • Visit the Farmer’s Market
  • Go to the Beach
  • Attempt to make the Almond Butter Bites
  • Ride the new Roller Coaster at Universal
  • Spend time with Derek

So much for a relaxing weekend, right? I have a severe problem with trying to do as much as I possibly can. Anyone else have the same problem?

Luckily, Maddie had no problem sleeping last night. I did the trick of shoving her under the blanket when ever she woke up and that seemed to work. I was able to wake up refreshed and renewed.

I took it nice and easy on my 6 mile run. I don’t know why, but speed has not been my friend lately. My legs are just preferring slow and steady for the time being and I am just not going to argue.

I was looking forward to breakfast because it involved my new little friend that finally made the trip home from Boston.

IMG_0501

Kath had found my run away jar of Almond Butter under her bed when I noticed it was was missing from my suitcase and kindly shipped it to me. Thanks Kath!

I smeared some of the AB on 1/2 of a bagel and had Apricot Preserves on the other.

IMG_0504

I also had some on the side to dip 1/2 of a Peach and Cantaloupe in.

IMG_0505

The full plate.

IMG_0506

This is my 2nd or 3rd attempt at raw nut butters in general and in my honest opinion it was nothing special. I will continue to eat the jar and see if it grows on me, but raw butters are kind of bleh. I was hoping after all the raves this one would be different.

From now on I think I will stick to my roasted unsalted jars of nuttiness. At least I gave it a shot. It’s just a personal preference. :)

What about you? Do you prefer raw nut butters or roasted nut butters? Chunky or Creamy? I love chunky!!

1 Erica August 21, 2009 at 9:01 am

I like both raw and roasted but am def a creamy girl. I just bought a jar of MaraNatha no stir crunchy and am hating the crunchy bits :(. I want to try TJs nut butters!!

I have the SAME problem. I can never just have a relaxing weekend. We weren’t really suppose to do anything this weekend and I managed to fill it up with plans haha.

2 Kath August 21, 2009 at 9:05 am

I agree – I prefer my butters to be roasted and sweet! The raw hazelnut has reallly grown on me though.

3 Alex August 21, 2009 at 9:11 am

Chunky peanut butter. Hands down. There is no competition for me. BUT, if the only kind available is creamy, I OF COURSE will take the creamy because, after all, it IS peanut butter:)

4 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 21, 2009 at 9:12 am

I don’t think I’ve ever tried raw nut butter so I have nothing to compare it too. But I go back and forth with chunky and creamy…I guess I like both ;-)

5 inmytummy August 21, 2009 at 9:14 am

I like the Maranatha one the best. I have no idea if it’s raw or roasted. I have that TJs one now and while it’s good, it’s no Maranatha. Although, it’s much cheaper.

6 runeatrepeat August 21, 2009 at 9:15 am

I think TJ’s roasted Almond Butter with Sea Salt is a poor girl’s answer to Barney Butter.

7 Pam August 21, 2009 at 9:18 am

Definitely roasted! So good

8 haya August 21, 2009 at 9:20 am

i don’t think i’ve ever had a raw nut butter before! seems like everything i can find is roasted (and i totally blanked when i was at TJ last weekend). i’m happy with roasted though, and crunchy rocks.

9 Sarah R August 21, 2009 at 9:24 am

I’m a fan of the roasted nut butters. And I’ll eat creamy or crunchy–I’m really not picky as long as there is plenty of it!

10 Amy C. August 21, 2009 at 9:26 am

I love roasted, unsalted nut butters. The Trader Joe’s roasted unsalted almond butter is the only almond butter I’ll eat. It’s so good!!!

11 Sarah August 21, 2009 at 9:27 am

what is the difference between raw and unsalted? I buy the trader joes unsalted crunchy almond butter and LOVE it. have always been “scared” to try the Raw kind…

12 Anna August 21, 2009 at 9:27 am

I’ve never tried raw almond butter but I thoroughly enjoy my Maranatha Roasted Crunchy Almond Butter.

13 VeggieGirl August 21, 2009 at 9:33 am

THAT’S MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE ALMOND BUTTER!!! Feel free to do a nut butter jar trade, if you’d like – I could live off of TJ’s raw crunchy AB, hahaha ;-)

14 Emily August 21, 2009 at 9:33 am

I’ve never tried raw, but I love extra crunchy. The one smooth one I like (which I shouldn’t suggest b/c I know you aren’t near a Trader Joes) is TJ’s sunbutter (sunflower seed) which is kind of unbelievalbe!

15 Madelin August 21, 2009 at 9:34 am

Roasted, unsalted and crunchy!!! I can’t stand raw :)

16 Holly August 21, 2009 at 9:35 am
17 dailygoods August 21, 2009 at 9:35 am

ah im in loveeeeeeee with the raw almond butter at tjs. my ultimate fav though is the raw creamy from maranatha. YUM

18 Jess August 21, 2009 at 9:35 am

I have to have roasted and creamy! To be honest though, I am NOT loving almond butter. I try SO hard to like it but I am just a PB woman at heart.

19 brandi August 21, 2009 at 9:36 am

I like roasted ones better, too, and the crunchier the better!!!

do you have any suggestions on where to look for training schedules for a 1/2 that only have you running 3-4 times a week? I’m going to be looking around today, but wanted to see if you knew of any already since you’ve done it before!

20 Whit August 21, 2009 at 9:42 am

I am so glad someone else is not feeling the raw TJ almond butter love. I have half a jar still in my cabinet, if anyone wants it!

I much prefer my new friend Barney Butter. mmmmmm

21 Leianna August 21, 2009 at 9:46 am

Raw and chunky almond butter from TJ’s is amazing! Good luck tackling that to-do list!

22 Lauren(athleat) August 21, 2009 at 9:48 am

Roasted…definitely!

23 Alice August 21, 2009 at 9:50 am

I put this TJ raw almond butter in to oatmeal. It definitely adds something to the oatmeal that is wonderful. But I don’t care for it on toast or in a sandwich.

24 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) August 21, 2009 at 9:50 am

I really love the raw tj’s almond butter. i’ve never been a huge peanut butter fan, and maybe thats why i like the raw ab so much, is because it’s pretty different.

25 Maria August 21, 2009 at 9:52 am

I’m actually a big raw crunchy girl. I switched to the Mara Natha organic raw at one point, purely because nuts are easier to digest un-roasted, and haven’t looked back. Crunchy, creamy, slightly sweet. Delicious.

26 Erin August 21, 2009 at 9:55 am

I second VeggieGirl, that is my favorite almond butter – hands down. Although I just tried roasted Maranatha chunky and it’s very enjoyable. Prior to trying these, I was a creamy PB/AB girl all the way – but the crunchies are really growing on me. Maybe I am going through some sort of nut butter evolution?!

27 Nicole August 21, 2009 at 9:59 am

Hey Meghann
I agree with you on the raw almond butter. I bought a jar and it took me months to finish it. And ever since I can remember I’ve always been a crunchy girl. My mom hates crunchy so she used to get so annoyed that she’d have to buy a separate jar for me!

28 Maya August 21, 2009 at 10:00 am

I know what you mean about roasted nut butters unusually agree except when it comes to almond butter. The raw kind has like a vanilla taste that I really enjoy maybe it will grow on you!

29 Valerie August 21, 2009 at 10:02 am

I’ve never had raw PB (and don’t really have a desire to), but my go-to AB is the raw TJ’s brand! I guess it’s all about preference!

30 recipes for creativity August 21, 2009 at 10:03 am

I’ve never had raw nut butters. I definitely prefer smooth over chunky, though!

31 Carolyn August 21, 2009 at 10:05 am

I’ve never tried the raw. I had to pull my jar of creamy TJ’s almond butter out of my desk drawer to see if it was raw or not. LOL

32 Traci August 21, 2009 at 10:06 am

Just have to tell you that after seeing okra in so many of your postings I decided to give it a shot. I have never tried before. Alway looked a bit odd to me. So I picked some up yesterday and ate it raw last night. Verdict: Loved it! Thanks for introducing a new veggie to me!

33 Biz August 21, 2009 at 10:13 am

Definitely roasted! If you make the bites you should enter the BSI this week – its peanut butter! If you click no the BSI Rules page on my blog, you’ll see this weeks current host. :D

HAPPY FRIDAY!

34 Lizzy August 21, 2009 at 10:13 am

Your weekend looks like so much fun! yay. i love jam packed weekends!

35 Heather August 21, 2009 at 10:17 am

I have a problem with overscheduling my weekends too – I have so much I want to get done – I almost need a to-do list!

36 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate August 21, 2009 at 10:18 am

I am not at all picky when it comes to nut butters! I do prefer roasted over raw but like either. I don’t really have a preference of chunky or creamy except in peanut butter and then I like creamy.

37 Anne Marie August 21, 2009 at 10:31 am

Funny-I just posted about my love of almond butter! I love Mara Natha brand of almond butter. The raw almond butter does nothing for me!

38 Jess August 21, 2009 at 10:40 am

The regular roasted almond butter from Trader Joe’s is delicious — especially the crunchy unsalted one. You don’t even need the salt.

39 ksgoodeats August 21, 2009 at 10:44 am

That’s funny it was found under the bed! If it’s peanut butter – creamy. If it’s almond butter – chunky :)

40 Nina August 21, 2009 at 10:44 am

I actually don’t think I’ve ever had the raw kind, but I feel like I wouldn’t like it. I like to roast my nuts ;)

41 Hangry Pants August 21, 2009 at 10:45 am

I just put my suitcase away last night. :D

I love that almond butter. To be honest, I don’t have a raw/roasted preference, I just don’t want anything added to it. Like salt. Gross.

42 Derek August 21, 2009 at 10:54 am

why am I at the end?? ;-) oh I know…save best for last muahaha

43 Jamie in Arkansas August 21, 2009 at 10:58 am

I’m anxious to see your marathon training plan AND the recipe for the Almond Butter Bites!!! YUM.

44 snackface August 21, 2009 at 11:04 am

Haha I usually have lofty goals for my weekends, too! They normally end up revolving around going out.

Thank you for your honesty about the raw almond buttah! I felt the same way! I love roasted nut butter that’s crunchy! The best.

Have a fabulous Friday!

45 carolinebee August 21, 2009 at 11:10 am

I agree- roasted all the way!

46 Ada August 21, 2009 at 11:22 am

I totally agree, roasted and as crunchy as possible! I find smooth nut butters so boring;)

47 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 21, 2009 at 11:34 am

I love raw or roasted nut butters, but I definitely prefer chunky over creamy!

48 Angharad August 21, 2009 at 11:36 am

Personally I adore this particular brand! Love it smeared between banana slices…in oats..in yogurt…ok basically everywhere! I also love me some good old fashioned roasted peanut butter though!

49 hypki August 21, 2009 at 11:39 am

I also LOVE TJs raw almond butter, it is my fav!! So sorry you didn’t enjoy it as much as you thought you would. Keep trying new things though, and have a fabulous weekend. Even though it seems like you have alot to do most of it sounds pretty fun!

50 Emily Eats August 21, 2009 at 11:50 am

I think it depends on how you’re eating them. I prefer raw if I’m mixing it in something as it’s lighter, but if you want the bang of flavor, then you have to go roasted. Could try adding some spice to your raw one?
Have a good day!
~ e.

51 chandra August 21, 2009 at 11:57 am

I don’t really have an opion on the nut butter (I actually didn’t really like nut butter much until about a year ago), but I will say my apartment currently looks like a F5 tornado came though, so no shame in still having a suitcase spewed all over. :-)

52 Jenna August 21, 2009 at 11:57 am

i absolutely looove creamy peanut butters! but i have not yet tried chunky pbs so i will have to give them a try!
jenna

53 Bec August 21, 2009 at 12:04 pm

glad she slept bettter last night! I always pack way too much stuff I ‘need’ to get done into my days off then I dont feel like I really got any down time

54 Susan August 21, 2009 at 12:14 pm

i’ve never had raw almond butter, but i have a feeling i wouldn’t like it–roasting just really brings out the toasty flavors and aromas! and since i’m living in prague, can you believe i’ve never even ever had store-bought AB?? i’ve always had to make my own in the processor, and that suits me fine! therefore, i’ve only had creamy, which i adore stuffed in dates or dolloped on my banana chunks. =)

55 Kristin August 21, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I find TJ’s raw almond butter by itself to be a bit bland. The key is mush those two sides of the bagel together so you get the sweetness of the preserves with the savory nutty flavor of the butter. It is seriously heaven. The combo of the raw nut butter and jam/preserves is delicious but by itself, it is in no way delicious. My favorite combo is pumpkin butter and TJ’s raw almond butter waffle sandwich. It’s an easy on the go breakfast! Give it a try. Do not give up on the almond butter!

56 Christina August 21, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I’ve never tried raw. What’s the difference? I’m definitely a creamy kind of girl though. I always feel like I get too many peanuts and hardly any peanut butter on my spoon when I try crunchy!

57 lilveggiepatch August 21, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I’ve already completely booked my weekend, and it hasn’t even started yet!

I buy TJ’s roasted creamy AB. I’ve never tried raw OR crunch almond butter, but I’m going to get it the next time I go there.

58 Courtney August 21, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I’m a chunky girl myself!

59 Lauren August 21, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I totally have the same problem regarding trying to fit a ton of things into my weekends! I’m burderned by the idea that every single minute needs to “count,” since I’m out of work and ostensibly catching up on errands and fun. It’s crazy! The other weekend, I returned home with my boyfriend from a 60-mile bike ride, and all I wanted to do was take a nap. I felt badly about doing this, though, because it detracted from the time I could have spent on other things. My boyfriend was like, umm, take a nap. Don’t overthink it, just do it.

Boys can be so wise!

Good luck housebreaking Maddie. I’m currently trying to do the same with my puppy…it’s a challenge, but well worth it!

Enjoy your weekend.

60 Food n Fitness August 21, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever tried raw nut butter, so I’m not sure. I do know that i LOVE chunky nut butter…the chunkier the better!

61 Ali August 21, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I like allllll nut butters ;) I don’t discriminate. I feel like they all have their strong points and it depends on what I am in the mood for (which may be why there are 6 different kinds in my fridge).

I also wanted a relaxing weekend. And posted this list on my blog:

Tonight:

* Goodbye Party for my friend Neal who is moving to Chicago :( Don’t go, Neal!!!!

Tomorrow:

* My first spinning class ever, at Healthworks.
* Farmer’s Market, Market Basket, Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe’s (maybe), and lunch with my mom.
* Trip to Macy’s home store to get my friend Wicked Bride a bridal shower gift.
* Trip to Sephora for more concealer…and ONLY concealer ;)

Sunday:

* Read The Time Traveler’s Wife (try to finish).
* Maybe a walk with my friend Jill and her Baby :)
* Laundry
* Start In Defense of Food, I have to buy it first.
* Work on a new workout routine for my friend Caitlin (who I have never actually met in person) :)

Yeah…not so relaxing! Getting a lot of fun stuff done thought!

62 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 21, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I had no idea that there were raw and roasted nut butters … I just thought that there were all natural (only nuts) and then the kinds with all the crap I can’t pronounce in them. Interesting! I am going to have to check out my local health food stores and see what they sell.

63 greenbean August 21, 2009 at 3:41 pm

it tastes like cardboard to me. i probably won’t purchase raw again.

64 Beth @ CrossBorderCravings August 21, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Interesting that you say you didn’t like the raw AB. I haven’t tried it before but have also been thinking about buying a jar since everyone seems to rave about it! I might have to try a sample before I commit to a whole jar. In general I love allll nut butters so it’s hard to pic a fave!

65 Tyler August 21, 2009 at 4:21 pm

roasted and crunchy all the way :)

66 Lauren August 21, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I’m going to have to agree with you about raw nut butter! Now, I love all nut butters, but roasting imparts a richer flavor that I definitely prefer. In terms of chunky vs. creamy, I think it depends on what the nut butter is accompanying. I like creamy with oats and chunky with bread. Can you tell that I’m a nut butter fiend? :)

67 Shion (Shi's Eating) August 21, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I’m with you on the raw nut butters. just not my thing!

68 Danielle August 21, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Nut butterwise…

Chunky > Smooth
Almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower butter Unroasted

Whilst on the topics of nuts…

Have you tried Blue Almond flavored almonds? I can’t get enough of them. I love the chili lime and jalapeno habanero ones.

69 MarathonVal August 21, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I DO like raw nut butters, and I actually just bought 2 jars of the TJ variety today cuz they are “cheap” (for Chicago standards…..$5 a jar…. this morning at Whole Foods the same thing is $12 a jar!!! Crazy right?!!

70 sarah (ghost world) August 21, 2009 at 6:56 pm

i definitely have your ‘cram everything into a weekend!!’ problem. i think i need to schedule in, “CHILL AND DO NOTHING!” sometimes, or else that’s the only thing that doesn’t get done!

71 Susan August 21, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Roasted and chunky please!!! :D I usually buy raw almonds for snacking, but I recently picked up roasted ones. Those are SO much better too!

72 Kimberly August 21, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I can’t make my mind up about the AB! I love TJ’s Raw & Roasted w/ sea salt. I love both creamy & crunchy!

73 broccolihut August 22, 2009 at 1:02 am

I’ve only had raw nut butter once or twice, but I remember it being fabulous–I love both raw AND roasted. Oh, and I am a creamy girl, all the way.