A $25,000 Sandwich

by Meghann on August 20, 2009

Meet my new best friend.. caffeine.

IMG_0470

it’s times like these I wish I liked coffee, but I just can’t bring myself to pick up that habit. Instead I found this highly caffeinated breakfast tea to be very effective and perked me right up. 🙂

One of Allie’s Almond Butter Bites worked as well.

IMG_0473

I have added searching Allie’s blog for the recipe to my list of things to do. These things are the perfect bite size treat and are just so tasty. It would be a great treat to bring to a get togethers or to share with the office.

A while back the nice people at Mezzetta sent me some info on their Make That Sandwich Contest. All summer people from all over the U.S. have been submitting recipes that spice up a typical sandwich. Mezzetta encourages people to have fun and be creative, which when it comes to food tends to be my philosophy.

Needless to say this contest was very fun to participate in.

Does this look like a boring sandwich to you?

IMG_0479

(Sorry didn’t realize photos was blurry until I uploaded it 🙁 )

How about a $25,000 sandwich?

IMG_0482

I have a couple of Mezzatta products to thank in obtaining the final results.

IMG_0475

I’m crossing my fingers for a winner, so I can’t share the recipe yet, but you can probably guess all of the main components. Let’s just say the combination was just as great as I expected.

The Make That Sandwich Contest has three categories you can enter: Cold, Hot and Vegetarian. I am entering this baby under the vegetarian category. Each category finalist wins $1,000.

If you’re interested in entering yourself check out the official entry page here!

With my $25,000 sandwich 😉 I had some raw okra fries.

IMG_0477

Yes, I eat the Okra raw and Yes, I love it. It’s not a texture for everyone, but I really enjoy it. I also like to dip the raw okra in ketchup. Yum!

IMG_0486

Try it, you might like it!

IMG_0476

This is my first time entering any sort of recipe contest and I am a bit nervous. The worst part is I never measure anything when I cook and the entry form asked for every details. Let’s hope I was accurate enough!

Do you enter recipe contests? Have you ever won one?

1 megan August 20, 2009 at 1:55 pm

wow, that sandwich was definitely not boring! Good luck!

2 Lizzy August 20, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Good luck Meghann! the sandwich looks DELISH x’s 10

3 Brandi August 20, 2009 at 1:57 pm

that’s a great looking sandwich!

i had never entered a recipe contest until earlier this year. I found one for healthier cookies, so I came up with a recipe after a few trials and submitted it. i should be hearing soon if I made the finals or not!

i want to enter this contest, too. i just keep forgetting!

4 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate August 20, 2009 at 1:57 pm

That sandwich isn’t boring at all! It looks tasty! Good Luck!

5 Tay August 20, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I love my vegges in ketchup and my whole fam thinks I’m crazy weird. it’s good!!!

That’s a million dollar sandwich if I’ve ever seen one!

6 southerngracesblog August 20, 2009 at 2:15 pm

That sandwich looks SO good and messy and I want it, haha! Good luck 🙂

7 Errign August 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Hi Meghann,

I was just checking out Allie’s blog and she has the recipe listed under her munchin’ section. They look very easy and delicious!

8 ksgoodeats August 20, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Good luck Meghann! That looks like a winner to me 🙂

9 Sarah August 20, 2009 at 2:38 pm

I am in need of some running advice. I am training for my third half-marathon and am running (pardon the pun!) into a problem I’ve had in the past – “runner’s trots” is what I believe they call them. Aka, bad tummy during and after my runs. – it’s BAD. Last night, I had to stop during my run to use the restroom, and had quite a bit of trouble when I got home as well. I typically run in the evening after work, so my stomach has had all day to fill itself with bad running foods.

Does anyone have any advice for us evening runners on keeping the peace in our bellys? Help!

Thanks – love the blog as always! Wish I coudl have been at the summit – next year, I will! Please release the date sooner than later so we can all plan accordingly:)

10 Ali August 20, 2009 at 2:57 pm

That sandwich looks tasty! I am going to try raw okra and see how i feel about it. It always looks like such a good side to a sandwich. Thanks for the idea.

11 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 20, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I have never entered a contest before but it sounds like fun. Good luck to you!!

12 indieconquers (Run Study Eat) August 20, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Never entered a recipe contest. Also, I’ve had okra pickled which is good but I just don’t know has I;d felt about it raw!

13 Nina August 20, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I have never entered a recipe contest, mostly because I find myself not creative enough to think of what to have for dinner out of the 20000 cookbooks i own, let alone make up my own recipe.

This is actually one of my goals for the fall. I love fall produce, so I think I can come up with some fun things. stay tuned to the blog for that! (hopefully).

14 Derek August 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm

oooo, I want that alumni cup

15 Sammie August 20, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I haven’t entered a recipe contest but maybe I should. The prize $$$ seems worth it.
Good luck – I hope you win. Your sandwich looks delicious.
I tried raw okra once but it was way too tough and stringy for my taste. Does yours have that sort of texture? I wonder if the okra I bought was old?

16 Meghann August 20, 2009 at 4:27 pm

It is stringy, but I think it’s an aquired taste. I hate to admit but I also find I can eat Kale raw now too. Maybe I’m just an odd one? 🙂

17 Lauren August 20, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Where do you find raw okra like that? I’ve only seen it canned or frozen. Am I missing something?

18 Meghann August 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I just found it at Publix. I think it’s a southern thing.

19 Leianna August 20, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Good luck on your sandwich contest. I would love to enter a baking muffin/bread sort of contest! And raw okra sounds good, but not a great local fin in MN!

20 Monica C. August 20, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I’m normally a lurker, but am a big fan of your blog. I have to say, I typically read with a bit of fascination b/c I’m probably the polar opposite of you, from a culinary perspective. You are very healthy, health-conscious and you love a variety of foods. You also love it when your foods run together and form a big mish mash (that part really gets to me, LOL). You see, I have the palate of a 6 year old. I’m very finicky, and I’m not a big fruit and veggie eater.

Although I sometimes wince at your creations, I *am* inspired by you, and do try to bring a little “Meghann” into my eating habits.

BUT I HAVE TO DRAW THE LINE AT THE RAW OKRA. LOL!

Keep doing what you’re doing – you’re inspiring even those of us at the far end of the spectrum! 🙂

21 Food n Fitness August 20, 2009 at 4:49 pm

That is definitely NOT a boring sandwich–it looks delicious. And I LOVE eating okra like that, ketchup and all!

22 Pam (Highway to Health) August 20, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Good luck! The sandwich looks like a winner.

I’ve never tried okra. I’m intrigued..

23 Jenna August 20, 2009 at 6:29 pm

meghann the sandwich looks great, i hope ya win the mullahhh 🙂
jenna

24 Evan Thomas August 20, 2009 at 6:35 pm

The best I’ve done was when I came in 2nd in the Peanut Butter Boy’s recipe contest earlier this week and I was ecstatic. i hope to do more of those

And I want to try okra after seeing it so much but I can’t find it anywhere up here in MA

25 Emily August 20, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I have that contest saved in my bookmarks but I’ve been too lazy to think up a sandwich, thanks for the motivation!

26 Amanda August 20, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Hey Meghann, great looking sandwich! A question regarding this morning’s post: if you really wanted to run but were so exhausted, would you ever consider running after work? Not sure if it’s just your preference or what, but that seems like another option!

27 Meghann August 20, 2009 at 8:16 pm

As tired as I was this morning, I just can’t bring myself to run after work. It’s sooooo hot right now in Florida and I hate pushing back dinner. I’m just too stubborn for my own good.

28 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) August 20, 2009 at 8:20 pm

That sandwich looks freaking good. I’ll have to remember to try it sometime!

29 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 20, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Good luck with the contest. The sandwich looks yummy.

30 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Hey Meghann! I just wanted to thank you for mentioning me in your blog post today. Today was a rough day (moving back to school, blah) but you definitely turned it upside down and around. I’m glad you like my baked goods…can you be there when I break it to my parents for the 50th time that I want to be a baker after I graduate?

31 Nicole August 20, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I entered a food photography contest through Honda and the Food Network and I won!

32 jocelyneatsfresh August 21, 2009 at 5:49 am

I found that contest awhile back and sent it over to my boyfriend (he loves makin sammies) So he got the products made the sandwich .did a picture…typed it all in and then he tryed entering canadian info and it would not let him…the rules said that canadians could enter…he was kinda sad!! Oh well! Hopefully you have some luck 🙂

33 Christy August 21, 2009 at 9:12 am

I’ve never won anything. My husband does all the time, but I guess I’m just not lucky. 🙂

How do you make your okra fries? I love okra, so I would to try them! Do you bake them in the oven for a little while? If so, what temp and for how long?

34 loveprevails August 24, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I entered contests when I was younger at the county fair and have won third, and second place on different occasions! hehe maybe it was because I was a little kid and they felt sorry for me?!