The North End

by Meghann on August 16, 2009

Well, that’s what I call a crazy night!

Our evening started with about 50 beautiful girls in the lobby of the Radisson.

We took advantage of the lovely evening and headed by foot to the Fishermen’s Village on the North End.

It was great because I was able to talk to some fellow bloggers one on one that I was not able to before.

It was a wonderful 1.4 mile walk… well maybe a little longer due to some slight GPS miss calculations.

When we made it to the North End it was PACKED!

The tiny streets were lined with various venders and packed shoulder to shoulder with people.

Unfortunately we lost a lot of our group in the crowd. We debated finding a restaurant to eat, but decided to join the spirit of the crowd and split up for meals of our own.

I forget what the proper name for it was, but I ended up getting this AMAZING fried rice ball stuffed with spinach and feta then coated in marinara sauce.

Just a head’s up for a Healthy Living Summit, this evening was not healthy at all, but it sure was amazing!

The gang tracked down a beer garden and I enjoyed a refreshing Watermelon Ale.

It was interesting to say the least. It was cold and wet and did the trick.

Next up we spotted a wine tasting tent.

At this point I was full of rice ball and beer and just wasn’t feeling the wine at all.

Can I just say Sammie’s son ‘D’ is the cutest thing ever?!

I was very excited our last stop of the evening was the famous Mike’s Pastry.

I’ve seen this place featured on Kath’s blog so many times I knew it was going to be great.

Whit, Kelly, Megan and I decided to split this beautiful Strawberry Shortcake.

We all enjoyed standing on the street corner trying out treats.

I’ll admit i had my fair share of bites. I just had to try everything!

Sammie’s husband, Charlie, was great and brought us Cannolis from a rival bakery, Modern Pastery.

Apparently these are the best cannolis in Boston. I’ll admit they were pretty tasty.

D Agreed. πŸ™‚

Once again I was part of the walking group. It felt good once again to mingle while digesting and walking. Of course once we made it back everyone was more then exhausted.

I was afraid the night was going to turn into a total let down, but it ended up being awesome. I’m so sad tomorrow is our last day in Boston. Is it really almost over? πŸ™ Boooo…..

1 Nina August 16, 2009 at 1:22 am

I agree, Modern is the place to be!

2 Emily Eats August 16, 2009 at 2:58 am

This food fair looks pretty amazing! Looks like a lot of fun and those pastries look like they were a delicious end to the day πŸ™‚

3 Courtney August 16, 2009 at 3:37 am

What a good tiiime! πŸ˜€ Diggin Mikes Pastry and the wine tasting tent! I dream of those. Too bad you can’t bring all of that home πŸ˜‰

4 Luna August 16, 2009 at 5:28 am

beautiful evening!and food!btw, was the fried rice an italian recipe? if so it could be “arancini” πŸ™‚
Thank you all for sharing the HLS experience with us, i followed on livestream and was super happy πŸ˜‰

5 Luna August 16, 2009 at 5:30 am

errr or they could be “supplΓ¬”… well, the name isn’t that important, they surely were delicious!

6 Madelin August 16, 2009 at 6:43 am

Yum! Arancini balls are the best, especially with sauce over them πŸ™‚ looks like a really fun night! Well done with the Summit!

7 Melissa August 16, 2009 at 6:51 am

It was great meeting you yesterday. Your photos from the festival are AMAZING. Obvi, a great new camera!

8 Errign August 16, 2009 at 8:36 am

That rice ball looks ah-mazing.

9 Lizzy August 16, 2009 at 9:06 am

the festival looks amazing! so fun

10 Charlie August 16, 2009 at 9:25 am

Yeah, the arancini were killer, especially with the sauce (or ‘gravy’ if you want to talk like a real Boston Italian).

Glad you liked the cannolis. Modern rules for cannoli, but Mike’s makes a great mini ricotta pie.

It was nice to meet you, give Sammie and I a shout if you ever come back up.

11 jocelyneatsfresh August 16, 2009 at 9:33 am

Yum..those rice balls and dessert treats look AMAZING..Look’s like everyone had a fab night! Hope your last day in Boston is amazing..congratz! All the hard work paid off! πŸ™‚ I know many of us who could not go enjoyed watching the livestream πŸ™‚

12 Niki August 16, 2009 at 9:37 am

What a fun night!! The food looks amazing!

13 Andee (Runtolive) August 16, 2009 at 10:34 am

Your dinner looks so good! What a fun night out, so sad to see it is over!

14 Jamie in Arkansas August 16, 2009 at 10:41 am

Hi Meghann!
Do you have extra t-shirts from the SUMMIT we could purchase????
I’d LOVE one!

15 carolinebee August 16, 2009 at 11:17 am

Great Recaps Meghann!!! OMG do you have the worst camera luck EVER or whattt!?? Haha glad u got a new one πŸ˜€

I’m so bummed I couldn’t make it out, but my NEW apartment in Boston is in the North End, so next time you’re in Boston we’ll meet up and eat delicious food πŸ˜€

16 Matt August 16, 2009 at 12:09 pm

The North End is awesome! I went there a few months ago when we were in Bean Town for my sisters graduation from BU. We went to a really good restaurant (I forgot the name) and to Mike’s Pastry. I polished off that cannoli in about two seconds. So good!

17 Kristin August 16, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Watermelon ale… hmm, sounds either delicious or disgusting! haha

Looks like the night was a fun one, I’m jealous yet again!

18 Matt August 16, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Hey I had that watermelon ale when I was in Boston – it smelled like parmesan cheese. Tasted like a regular ale, however.

19 Erica August 16, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Great job this weekend! I didn’t get to attend, but I have watched some of the streaming live during the day. Looked fabulous! Thank you for all your hard work! Do it again next year, and maybe I can come! πŸ˜‰

20 kristi (sweet cheeks) August 16, 2009 at 3:47 pm

That cannoli looks so good!!!

Glad you had a great time!

21 southerngracesblog August 16, 2009 at 5:01 pm

The fried rice ball, canoli, and strawberry shortcakes each look amazing! I am so happy y’all had such a wonderful night!!

22 Jess August 16, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Looks like you all had a great time and it sounds like the whole Healthy Living Summit was awesome. I’m so sorry that I couldn’t be there. But I’m hoping you ladies will decide to host one again next year!

23 Angharad August 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Looks like just the best weekend ever! Congratulations!!

24 Ali August 16, 2009 at 8:04 pm

It was great getting to meet you! I had so much fun at the Summit! Looks like you guys had an AWESOME time at Mike’s Pastry, I love that place. The bad thing it is about 1.5 miles away from my apt., which makes it hard not to eat canoli’s for dinner! I hope you had a safe flight home πŸ™‚

25 Paige@ RunningAroundNormal August 16, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Looks like SO much fun! Watermelon ale, eh? I can’t imagine how that’d turn out! Everyone looks like they’re having a great time, and the pastries look great.

26 angieinatlanta August 16, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Congrats on a successful summit!

27 Julie August 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm

So fun! I’m glad everyone loved Boston, my hometown πŸ˜‰

It was so surreal seeing all my favorite bloggers in the same pictures! haha

28 Susan August 17, 2009 at 9:48 am

Looks like a wonderful way to end the HLS! I’m so happy everyone had a great time πŸ˜€ That watermelon beer totally intrigues me…

29 Meg August 17, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I have been following the planners of the HLS summit for sometime now and it looks like you guys did an amazing job! I loved looking at your pictures! I used to live on Hull St. in the North End where the Fisherman’s Feast is held. Ahh memories πŸ™‚