more ยป" />

Welcome Back to Double Digits

by Meghann on August 13, 2009

This morning I accomplished something I haven’t done since my marathon at the end of May… I ran in the double digits. Woo hoo!!!

It felt so great to see my Garmin roll over to the big 10.0 today. I LOVE long runs. There is seriously nothing better then that feeling you get when you finish. It’s like walking on cloud 9 the rest of the day, which is why I love to do them before big events or travels.

Before my run I fueled up with a Mountain Mix Mojo Bar.

CIMG7328.JPG

Longer run usually means I need a tad more fuel then just half a z-bar and this 200 calorie bar did the trick.

I took off just after 6:30 and was surprised by the heavy traffic I ran by. I guess I forgot that it was a weekday and school was back in session. I ran by a couple of elementry schools starting their day. When I got to the crossing guard I wasn’t sure if the rule of thumb was to let them aide me in crossing the street or to just take off on my own. I ended up just running right past them, but made sure to smile and nod.

About 8 miles into the run I had a police officer drive by and wave me down. I stopped as he pulled off the road. He proceeded to inform me that the station had got a call about a guy who was following me on my morning run. I had ran past a fellow male runner in baggy gym clothes about a mile back and the police man said that may have been him and asked if I felt threatened in anyway. All morning I had been running on busy roads in the bright daylight. I told the officer the male gave off no bad vibes when I passed him and I felt fine.

I did thank the officer profusely for checking on me and felt good that someone was concerned enough to make a call. It just goes to show you people really do care. ๐Ÿ™‚

When I returned an hour and 33 minutes later I was hot & sweaty and this was the only thing on my mind.

CIMG7336.JPG

After removing my shoes and all electronic devices I jumped right in. Maddie – who hates when she is not right my side – jumped in right after me.

CIMG7337.JPG

She was actually a strong little swimmer, too bad I didn’t get more pictures of her in the pool.

I could not wait until after my shower to eat breakfast, so I went straight from the pool to the kitchen.

CIMG7342.JPG

I toasted a mini wheat bagel and topped it with some Apple Butter and 2 Egg Whites.

CIMG7340.JPG

*Note: Egg whites from actual eggs DO NOT microwave as nicely as those from the carton.

And had a wonderfully refreshing container of Oikos Honey Yogurt and 1/2 a Mango.

CIMG7341.JPG

YUM!!

Boston Here we Come!

I have some last minute packing to do for the Healthy Living Summit. I am ‘borrowing’ one of my parent’s larger suitcases since my small one wasn’t large enough to hold on the supplies i need to bring with me. Luckily I’m flying Jet Blue and after doing a little research I discovered the first bag you check is free. SCORE!!

Don’t forget we will have live streaming of the Saturday summit events, so keep checking the Healthy Living Summit website for details. And if you’re on Twitter you can follow all 6 committee members as we tweet along the way. We have also dedicated the has tag #HLS to track all Healthy Living Summit related tweets.

Thank you once again to our amazing Healthy Living Summit Sponsors: Stonyfield, Zesty Cook, and FoodBuzz as well as our Boston Experience Sponsor Nasoya. None of this would have been possible without them.

I’m hoping to put up another post after lunch and then I’m leaving on a Jet Plane at 3:00. Yay!!

A Piece of my Heart…

This past week my Dad carved a beautiful gravestone that he placed on Abbie’s gravesite.

CIMG7331.JPG

It’s simple and perfect. I visited her this morning and shed a few tears. I miss Abbie everyday, I know she’s waiting for me on that Rainbow Bridge running in fields and rolling in dirt, just like she loved to do down here. Love you Abbie.

1 tami August 13, 2009 at 9:45 am

xoxo to Abbie and for all of you shipping up to boston (as the drop kick murphy’s say) have a safe trip

2 Anne P August 13, 2009 at 9:47 am

How sweet about the gravestone, I love it. See you soon! ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Kristin August 13, 2009 at 9:51 am

The gravestone looks beautiful =)

Gosh I wish I had a pool to jump into after a long run!!! Have fun traveling!!

xo
K

4 Kelly August 13, 2009 at 10:00 am

Why does just looking at that picture make me cry? I miss Abbie so much Meghann. See you at Caiti’s soon.

5 jocelyneatsfresh August 13, 2009 at 10:03 am

beautiful gravestone <3
Also good to hear about the officer helpin you out and checkin on you..it's kinda scary to think that someone might have been following you (even if his intentions was not to do that)…

6 Lizzy August 13, 2009 at 10:04 am

How cute of your dad to make that gravestone! Its beautiful! And thank goodness for police officers, that was really nice of him to stop and make sure you were ok! Have a safe flight!!!!

7 brandi August 13, 2009 at 10:08 am

how sweet of him – it’s perfect ๐Ÿ™‚

that’s crazy that they got a call about someone following you! i hope it wasn’t true, but thank goodness some one did call and they followed up on it. that’s one thing that scares me about running by myself sometimes – you just never know.

8 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 13, 2009 at 10:10 am

Your dad is a sweet man, what a nice stone! I’m sure you miss her lots ๐Ÿ™

Great job on the 10 mile run and have a great trip this weekend!

9 BethT August 13, 2009 at 10:13 am

!!! I love your dad !!! What a sweet thing to do. At least Abbie’s sweet attitude lives on in Maddie.

10 runnerskitchen August 13, 2009 at 10:23 am

Congrats on the run! A few months ago, my friend and I were pulled over by a cop car because we were running alongside the FDR (big highway in Manhattan). Apparently that is illegal! The policeman made us get in the back seat of his car and he drove us to the next exit. I was so worried that he wasn’t going to let us finish our long run. We were 15 miles into a 20 miler!

11 Erica August 13, 2009 at 10:24 am

That is very scary about the guy following you! Good for someone for calling it in. Hey- you can’t help it that you’re a hot 10 MILE running mama! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Great job girl- you continue to inspire me.

Very sweet that your dad made that beautiful stone for Abbie. I think its wonderful that you will have a place to go and visit her. I bet she is smiling down from doggie heaven.

Have a safe trip to Boston!

12 runeatrepeat August 13, 2009 at 10:24 am

That gravestone is beautiful, but it breaks my heart. It’s really cool that the police officer stopped you. It’s easy to zone out on runs and not realize if you could be in danger, especially if you feel like you’re in a safe place.

13 Jamie in Arkansas August 13, 2009 at 10:37 am

Meghann,
Love that 10 mile run!! I’m looking forward to mine this weekend!! ๐Ÿ™‚
What race are you training for next? Are you doing a half or a full marathon soon? I just wondered since your mileage is getting up there! Thanks!

14 Whit August 13, 2009 at 10:38 am

1. Congrats on a great run!

2. First bag is free? I am checking mine then, fo sho!

3. I love the gravestone. So sweet.

15 Sara August 13, 2009 at 10:41 am

That’s so cool that someone called in to make sure you were safe! What a good samaritian. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love the gravestone. Dad’s are awesome.

16 trinichiqn August 13, 2009 at 10:45 am

If you put the eggs in a container with a cover and put some power in your shake you can achieve the same consistency in your microwave eggs. I prefer stovetop myself but sometimes laziness or hunger necessitates the microwave.

17 Andee (Runtolive) August 13, 2009 at 10:47 am

I also love doing long runs before a big vacation day. When we drove from CA to AZ last month, I also ran 10 miles before we had to sit in the car for 10 hours!

18 Laura August 13, 2009 at 10:50 am

Congrats on the 10 mile run!! I have one this weekend! I always love running double digits!!

Have Fun in Boston!

19 Laura August 13, 2009 at 10:55 am

Nice job! Have a safe flight and HAVE FUN!

20 Amelia August 13, 2009 at 10:55 am

I NEED a pool for after my long runs. That would be the best. Especially because you can feel so weightless.
Congrats on the run!
The gravestone is such a nice touch for Abbie.
Can’t wait to meet you in Boston! ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Nicole August 13, 2009 at 10:56 am

Oh my gosh, I had that exact bar with my lunch before my run today. Hahah just thought I’d share that. Pft ๐Ÿ˜‰
Have a good day!

22 Pam August 13, 2009 at 10:58 am

Congrats on the great run!! That was so sweet of your dad to make a gravestone for Abbie.

Have a safe trip! I hope I get to meet you at some point this weekend!

23 Madelin August 13, 2009 at 11:03 am

Your run is very inspiring! Well done ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Gina August 13, 2009 at 11:04 am

That is so cute how Maddie jump right in after you, I wish I had a pool to jump into this morning ๐Ÿ™‚
The stone is beautiful, and it was sweet of your dad to make it. Have a safe flight!

25 Sheri August 13, 2009 at 11:07 am

What a beautiful little gravestone for Abbie…looking at that made me cry! So sweet of your Dad to do that.

Have a safe flight and enjoy yourself at the Summit!

26 Ali August 13, 2009 at 11:16 am

Have a save flight! And see you in Boston! I am so excited to have all you wonderful bloggers in my City! I can’t wait to meet you.

That is a very nice gravestone for Abbie, It brought tears to my eyes.

27 Christy August 13, 2009 at 11:19 am

Just a tip. If you add one egg yolk to your eggs, they come out much better in the microwave. Have a great weekend, safe travels!

28 Nina August 13, 2009 at 11:35 am

Nice run! I LOVE jetblue; i try to only fly them when I can. ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t wait for friday night!

29 caitsplate August 13, 2009 at 11:55 am

Yay! Congrats on the double digit run! It’s always so exciting to re-break into the dds! ๐Ÿ™‚

Have so much fun this weekend!!

30 Ada August 13, 2009 at 11:57 am

Have a great trip!!! I can’t believe school is already in session in Florida, that’s SO early! There’s nothing better then jumping into a pool after a long run…

31 Christina August 13, 2009 at 12:02 pm

that mango looks so good! geez that was nice of someone to call the cops -better safe than sorry- after the cop pulled me over i would have been nervous for the remainder of the run! haha that is so cute that your dog jumped into the pool after you!

32 Rosey Rebecca August 13, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I always want to jump in the pool after my workouts too! Glad you had an amazing run and have a safe trip to Boston!

33 MegaNerd August 13, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Great job on the run, but gosh that sounds scary! I was followed once but nobody said something, and it scared the shizzz outta me! Fastest running ever tho!

See you tomorrow in Boston ๐Ÿ˜€ Have a safe flight!

34 Natalie M. August 13, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Your post totally made me smile…

its great that some good samaritan cared enough about your well being to call the police.. little things like that restore my faith that there are more kind people in the world than a-holes. Yay kind people! wooooo!

The gravestone your dad carved is beautiful… I’m sure Abbie loves it. Have a great time at the summit! Ironically, I was in Boston last weekend and will be again next weekend moving things into my new apt! I’m bummed to miss the Summit festivities.. maybe next year ๐Ÿ˜€

Have a safe journey Meghann!!!

35 Lauren August 13, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I Love those Mojo Mix Bars. So yummy! Have a safe trip and a fun time at the Healthy Living Summit!

36 Sammie August 13, 2009 at 1:14 pm

What a beautiful grave marker for Abbie. That was so sweet of your dad.
Great job on the 10 miler this morning. So glad to hear that someone was keeping an eye out for you. I bet that dip in the pool afterward felt so refreshing.
See you in Boston.

37 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) August 13, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Congrats on the 10 miler this am! Good job ๐Ÿ˜€

The grave marker is so sweet.

38 Niki August 13, 2009 at 1:25 pm

The grave stone is perfect, how nice of your dad. Great job on the 10 miler! Hope ya’ll have a safe and wonderful trip!!

39 Tay August 13, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Congrats on breaking into the double digits again!! And that is sooooo scary about the guy following you. I’m always scared of that. But great of someone to call it in. At least we have good people around!

Beautiful gravemarker. So sweet of your daddy ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Juicy Jessy August 13, 2009 at 1:51 pm

congrats on the double digits!!!
it’s kinda freaky, i have a belgian blog too; and i was actually planning on writing about my own double digits; because i ran 10K today. but i thought “hug a tree” was more appropriate for my post because i wanted to express how much i love running in the woods ๐Ÿ˜‰

the pool is awesome; i wish i had one!!! and it is extremely cute that your little puppy went in there with you.

the picture of the grave marker for your sweet Abbie made me hold my breath for a second. i don’t know you but i really felt for you when you lost her and i can only imagine how much you are still hurting… take care!

41 nutritionbyeve August 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

wow – that was so nice of the police officer to hunt you down. it’s so smart to run in busy areas if you’re alone. stay safe!
enjoy the summit!