House Breaking

by Meghann on August 12, 2009

Places Maddie likes to potty

• Behind the couch
  • In the closet
  • On her blue bed
  • The bathroom rugs
  • Any and every where inside where there is carpet

Places Maddie refused to potty

• Outside in the grass

Ughh,… housebreaking puppies is no fun at all. After spending 15 minutes with Maddie outside this morning, she immediately proceeded to urinate on her bed a after coming back inside. I immediately picked her up and brought her outside, but I’m still not sure she is getting it.

I just have to keep reminding myself that this is a process that will take time. Until then I have invested in some heavy duty carpet cleaner and puppy pads to aide her along the way. I have placed a puppy pad on all her favorite spots, my carpet is now officially covered in white and plastic. lol

Luckily when Maddie is in her crate no damage can be done. *knocks on wood* I put her in the crate this morning as I did a mini Tennis Camp Bootcamp outside for about 20 minutes. Then let her out as I completed Level 3 of the 30 Day Shred inside. I watched her try to eat my weights every time I set them on the floor. She’s lucky she’s cute!

I needed something pretty and refreshing for breakfast so I pulled out a fancy glass and made a parfait.

CIMG7289

I layered Vanilla Oikos Yogurt, Almond Granola, Strawberries, and Mangos.

CIMG7290

Yum!

Does anyone out there have any puppy house training advice? I’m a little rusty from when I trained Abbie and I feel like I’m reading nothing but BS when I research stuff online.

1 Jessica August 12, 2009 at 8:35 am

I remember going through the same thing with my puppy, who is now 1.5 years. We kennel trained him which was the best thing ever! He cried the first night and we had to get up with him to let him outside in the middle of the night because his little bladder just wasn’t big enough. After about 2 weeks, he was trained. They won;t go to the bathroom where they sleep so it teaches them some control. We also taught him to ring a bell when he needed to go potty.

2 Allie Katie August 12, 2009 at 8:36 am

Good luck with that, Meghann. I wish I had some advice for ya-I remember housetraining my dog–it required a lot of deep breathing on my part. At least she has the cutie patootie face to make up for it!

3 Caitlin from MD August 12, 2009 at 8:43 am

I have a yellow lab, and I credit 2 things with keeping accidents to a minimum: 1) getting into a routine quickly and staying on a pretty strict schedule (in terms of walks, feedings, etc.) and 2) taking her outside as often as possible when she was a puppy. (Except for when I was at work/out and she was in her crate.) When I was home, I’d take her out to the yard constantly. I figured if she spent the majority of her time outside, odds were she would pee at some point, and when that happened – I flipped out and gave her tons of praise and belly rubs. Seems pretty simple but I credit that with keeping accidents to a minimum. Also, I don’t know if Maddie has problems in the middle of the night but I pulled our dog’s water bowl up around 8pm and didn’t let her have it again until the next morning. And I got up every night at the same time (around 4am) to take her out.

4 Katie August 12, 2009 at 8:47 am

I don’t have any potty training advice for you…but Rug Doctor makes an amazing carpet cleaner called Urine Eliminator (they sell it on the stands where you can rent the machines.) It has saved my carpet from my 2 dalmations…who were luckily already potty trained when I adopted them 🙂 Good luck!

5 paula August 12, 2009 at 8:55 am

Caitlin gives good advice. I think the most important part of potty training is a strict routine. Get Maddie outside at very regular intervals and keep it on schedule. (the hard part is waiting her out while you’re outside) I actually taught mine a potty command. When they were little, I’d take them outside (with treats in pocket) and say “go potty, hurry up” over and over. Yes, your neighbors will think you’re a loon. It’s ok. lol! Anyway, keep repeating the potty command as you walk her around and as soon as she goes, you tell her “good potty! good girl!” and give her some treats. She’s still very young, but eventually she will catch on. Now, as adults, I can take mine out and if we’re not there to play, I can tell them to “hurry up” or “go potty” and they know it’s time to get to business!

And as you already know, crate training is a life saver! At her age, if you can’t be actively watching her, stick her in the crate with a chewie or a toy, so that way she doesn’t get the opportunity to have an accident, because obviously, the more mistakes she makes, it becomes a habit. So use the crate to your advantage when you can’t supervise. I wouldn’t go to the point of puppy pads all over, as that is only giving her the green light to pee inside (so to speak). I know you’re protecting your carpet and belongings, but I think crating her when you can’t keep two eyes on her is a better option. Don’t feel bad about that, because I know you give her plenty of playtime and quality time when you are able to supervise her.

Good luck, I’m sure she’ll be housebroken in no time! 🙂

6 Meghann August 12, 2009 at 9:00 am

With Abbie I gave her a treat every time she pottied outside, but Maddie has an odd aversion to treats. I have bought her 3 different kinds and she sniffs and ignores all of them. I do give her plenty of praise when she does potty outside with lots of hugs and kisses.

7 Victoria August 12, 2009 at 9:00 am

Good luck! Housetraiing is something I definitely don’t miss from when my dogs were puppies, but like everyone has said, a schedule is key when working with them.

8 alex August 12, 2009 at 9:07 am

hey–

one thing that was definitely useful for me with my puppy is using your voice. any time you see maddie squatting down to pee/poop, i would definitely make a lot of noise an scream to get her attention. she will stop and when my puppy was little, i would immediately scoop him out and take him outside and just let him chill out there for a while.. more often than not, he would relieve himself outside.. Also, we removed his water bowl early in the PM–7pm? and i would take him out of his crate 2-3 times during the evening and actually carry him down outside because i found that he would pee on the way out if he walked on his own… but wouldn’t pee if i held him in my arms. good luck, this aspect of puppyhood kind of sucks but they are so cute it makes up for it!! 🙂

9 Meghann August 12, 2009 at 9:16 am

haha the problem with Maddie is when I yell at her to stop and immtediately pick her up to take her outside she jsut keeps going which leads to trails of pee from the pot to the door and on me…lol

10 Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 12, 2009 at 9:08 am

Maybe I should get Mike to email you his tips. We have pretty much got Dickens trained at our house. (other people’s houses is another story… He christened my in laws house yesterday!) Now Mike is trying to teach him to ring a bell by the door when he needs to go out. (kind of the coolest trick EVER if he gets it!)

11 alex August 12, 2009 at 9:08 am

and with treats–what about stuff like cheese or chips (i.e “HUMAN” food?)… my dog thinks its like 1 million times better than dog cookies…

12 Meghann August 12, 2009 at 9:15 am

That’s a good idea. I will try cheese

13 Jenn August 12, 2009 at 9:17 am

Maybe try giving her a small bite of cheese instead of a treat? Also, I’ve heard that instead of yelling at the puppy if it goes in the house, you are supposed to actually yell at the pee. Bad pee! It is really hard not to laugh when you are doing it, but it teaches them that the pee is bad for where it is.
Anytime you see her start to sniff around at the ground grab her up and take her outside. That is a sure sign that she’s looking for a place to go.
I strung a few bells that I bought at a craft store onto a ribbon and hung it on the door of my house. Anytime I take my dog outside I would ring the bells. Now she knows to go to the door and jingle the bells with her nose. She still thinks its a game (she’s only 6 months old) so she jingles it more than she needs to, but I always take her out and tell her go potty, go potty. If you tell her go potty every time she is going, she’ll learn what that command means.
One more tip, anytime you give her a bath, take her right outside immediately afterwards.

14 nicole h August 12, 2009 at 9:17 am

house training puppies is very very difficult. but that parfet looks very yummy!

15 Lizzy August 12, 2009 at 9:23 am

House training is never easy, i remember doing it for my pup a long time ago. Maddie will get is soon dont worry 🙂

16 Whit August 12, 2009 at 9:24 am

House training is the worst! Good luck, I still have not gotten our pup trained all the way.

17 andrea. August 12, 2009 at 9:26 am

The big thing with animals is scent, I think, so one thing is to make sure you clean up her accidents realllllly well, so she can’t smell them. If she can smell the old pee it’s an automatic cue that ‘THIS IS A GOOD PEE SPOT’. The reverse works too — take a paper or rag that you used to clean up after her and bring it outside with you, put it down in the grass, and let her start associating her scent with the outdoors / grassy areas. She might just be really confused about all the new scents / scents of other animals!

Good luck! I’m sure she will do great with a little practice! 🙂

18 Heather August 12, 2009 at 9:27 am

One thing that helped me immensely was to take the things my pup was peeing on outside. Like for example, take her doggy bed outside. So when she’s out there she will smell her pee smell and associate it with being outside. Same thing if she poops in the house take her poop outside and let her smell it out there.

19 Juli D. August 12, 2009 at 9:30 am

More training tips, because you haven’t been overwhelmed by all of the previous comments:

Do NOT let her see you clean up her inside messes (strangely enough, dogs take this as attention). When she starts to go inside, flip her upside down (belly up) to stop the pee and then set her outside. Be sure and give her boatloads of praise and treats when she potties outside and be sure to pair it with the command “Go Potty” (or whatever else you wanna say). No attention for inside messes – no words, no reaction, no attention.

Good Luck! As a young dog she’ll need to go out every hour probably – and watch for the signs that she might be about to pee – pacing, circling, sniffing, etc.

20 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 12, 2009 at 9:37 am

Our dog was 3 years old when we got her but her previous owners had not house trained her at all!

I tried a bunch of different things, like the pads, but in the end what worked was consistency. Taking her out at the same times every day got her in the habit of waiting and going outside and not in the house. We give her a treat every time we come back inside after she has done her business.

We can also pick up on her “need to go” clues! Best wishes with your new dog, I’m sure it’ll all work out eventually 😉

21 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 12, 2009 at 9:38 am

Our dog didn’t take to treats at first either — she might warm up to them!

22 Kelly August 12, 2009 at 9:41 am

Our golden was very easy to train….we bought 2 different “sprays” one was sprayed where we wanted her to go potty and the other spray was sprayed on things we didnt want her to chew…Thank goodness for those sprays, they made training alot easier!

23 Elisabeth August 12, 2009 at 9:44 am

Puppy potty training is so arduous! We had relatively no problems training our two puppies–one took a little longer than the other, but they’re both 2 years old now, and give us no problems at all.

The key for us was that when they were as little as Maddie, if they were out of their crates, we took them outside every 20-30 minutes. It becomes very very monotonous and annoying, but if they are outside that often, they don’t have an opportunity to go on the floor. We honestly only had to do that schedule for about 2 weeks before we could cut it to taking them out every hour or so.

When they’re so little, there really is no warning sign, so our best weapon was just beating them at their own game. =) It’s tiring for a while, but I think this is the quickest way to train them.

24 Andrea August 12, 2009 at 9:53 am

I agree with Caitlin from MD they need a schedule. When we first got out puppy we would take him out side hourly when we were home, and say go potty. We also made sure to give him a treat if he did go potty. He had frequent accidents but soon learned that when he had to go potty to go by the door. It took us about six months before he had no accident.

25 Angela August 12, 2009 at 10:10 am

Small dogs can be difficult to house train, I feel your pain! The #1 thing that worked for my Boston Terrier, was that whenever she wasn’t in the crate, she was leashed to me. That way, there is no sneaking off to potty and the minute she starts to sniff around, you will see it and can quickly get her outside . They also quickly learn leash manners this way. I echo the good advice here already, getting her on a schedule is also really beneficial and as for treats, you cannot go wrong with hot dogs, as gross as they are! I’ve never met a dog that wouldn’t do anything for a piece of hot dog.

Good luck!!!

26 brandi August 12, 2009 at 10:18 am

we used to use cheese with one dog, too. that worked instead of treats. lots of good tips in the comments here! that’s the bad thing about puppies – every one is different and you just have to find what works for them.

27 Debbra August 12, 2009 at 10:24 am

I agree with what everyone else said about taking her out every 20-30 min when you are home. It really is a pain but she will catch on a lot faster, Also clean the spots where she went thoroughly or she will go there again. Puppy pads not so good, in my experience. She will just continue to pee in the house. She needs to learn to go pee outside . Keep offering her different treats (people or dog). You just have to find what she REALLY likes. Oh yea, lots and lots of praise, no punishment. Keep reinforcing the good behavior and gets lots of chew toys or all your weights will have chew marks. Hang in there, it won’t last long, she only wants to please you, she just hasn’t figured how to do that yet. Oh, and give that baby a big hug for me please!

28 Sara August 12, 2009 at 10:33 am

Oh the joys of puppy-hood! I’m so glad that our 7 month old lab is now potty trained. We crate trained him, which helped a lot. Unfortunately, when they are so young I just don’t think they realize they have to potty and then it just starts. 🙂 ha ha!

My best advice is praise her like crazy with a cookie/treat/whatever when she does potty outside. Also, we put bells on our door (we call them Tinkle Bells), so when Diesel finally associated potty with outside, he could ring the bells to tell us when he had to go outside to potty.

29 Molly August 12, 2009 at 10:35 am

We literally kept our puppy in her crate, or outside playing all the time. It is tough, but we never left her alone inside where she could go to the bathroom. It was definitely very exhausting and frustrating, and we spent most of our time outside for a few weeks, but it worked!

30 Haleigh August 12, 2009 at 10:42 am

I think consistency is important when house training, if you keep taking her outside then she is bound to catch on eventually. Good Luck!

Fancy glasses always make breakfast more fun 😉

31 Michelle August 12, 2009 at 10:43 am

I think ya just have to stick with it! My puppy took 6 MONTHS to housebreak, and he’s a small dog too! We actually wound up training him to use a litter box (yes, like a kitten haha) inside during the nights, and times we are away for extended periods of time. Apparently his breed makes this easy for him, and I’m glad! But that doesn’t stop him from whining at the door every 1/2 hour! But at least he finally got the point! It will happen! 🙂

32 janetha August 12, 2009 at 10:49 am

oh the joys of puppy potty training! my pup will be one on next tuesday so i just dealt with this not too long ago. i have found that in all honesty, time is your only REAL solution. persistence is key, just keep taking her out and when you do catch her in the act yell loud enough to spook her and then take her out. also when she finally does go outside, make a huge commotion and fuss about it, praise her like crazy. she will eventually realize that outside=treat and praise and inside=bad dog scolding. good luck with it! i gotta say i dont envy you though.. but you are right, she is SUCH a cutie that it makes it all OK!

33 ksgoodeats August 12, 2009 at 10:52 am

I was just going to suggest potty pads because that’s what we used with The Brat. Other than that I’m not much help – hang in there, she’ll get it 🙂

34 Mandy A August 12, 2009 at 10:53 am

I have nothing new to add in the training department hat hasn’t already been said! I agree that the best advice is to stay on as much of a strict routine as possible! Best of luck with it… I know how aggravating it can be!

35 amanda August 12, 2009 at 11:02 am

Ugh, I love puppies but HATE house training them. There’s nothing more frustrating.

My only advice is to be careful with the puppy pads. We used to keep one in the bathroom so now my dog (who is 3) thinks that the bathroom rug is a puppy pad.

36 Jess August 12, 2009 at 11:02 am

Our dog loves string cheese! It’s also easy to cut up into small pieces so we can only give him a bit at a time.

37 Alyssa August 12, 2009 at 11:08 am

My family and I are house training our beagle puppy right now too 🙂 Kennel training is the way to go, but always take Maddie out to go potty after she wakes up from a nap, a little bit after she eats, and of course right away in the morning. This all might seem obvious, but praise her A LOT when she goes outside, but tell her “bad dog” when she goes potty inside and stick her nose right up to where she went at the same time. After she makes a mess inside, take her outside to go to the bathroom anyways, and then when you come back in stick her in her kennel. It is a longggg process. We’ve had our puppy for almost three weeks, but progress will come slowly 🙂 Good luck!!!

38 Carly August 12, 2009 at 11:22 am

I’ve got an almost six month old puppy, so I feel your pain!

When we first started training, the foster family we adopted him from said to keep the water in the dish to a minimum. That way you can track what’s going in and know when/how much is going to come out.

I think we took our pup outside almost every hour. If he had a drink of water, we took him out. If he ate a meal, we took him out. If he had a particularly rambunctious play session, we took him out …

A lot of times when we took him out, we’d head to the same spot and not move until he went, establishing a “spot” for him to go. If he went, we would give lots of positive praise, give him a small treat, and reward him with an extra walk. If he didn’t go, we’d head right back into the house. That way, he’d realize that if he was good and did his business outside, that he’d get something tasty and another fun walk in return. After about a week of this, he didn’t need the treats anymore and started establishing a routine.

I’ve realized that it took until he was about 4 months for him to get a real good handle on it, but after a few weeks, you should see improvement. My vet said something about puppies not having the muscles to wait/hold it developed fully until they are about 5 months. It’s trying at first, but I’m betting you’ll be impressed with her progress after a week or so. Best of luck – it’s tricky business!! 😀

39 Melissa P. August 12, 2009 at 11:30 am

My advice- invest in a “green machine”. It is a portable carpet cleaner that you can get at Target or Walmart for around $70. They have a special carpet cleaning additive specific for pet stains. It is an absolute life saver (my dog and cat both love to throw up on my carpet… nice…).
Also, take treats outside with you when you take her out. Every time that she does her business in the grass, give her a treat. She will learn real quick with a little dessert incentive!

40 Ellen August 12, 2009 at 11:43 am

the smaller the dog, the harder to potty train! just try to be consistent and use positive rewards (anything that works. my dog trainer once recommended cheese whiz on a spoon)

41 biz319 August 12, 2009 at 11:58 am

No help from me – but your parfait looks delicious!

42 Pam August 12, 2009 at 11:59 am

I don’t have any advice but hang in there – she will get it!

Your breakfast looks delicious!

43 Quinn August 12, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Oh good luck! Thumper was a rescue so he came with his “batteries included.” Lucky for me!

It sounds like you’re doing all the right things!

44 Katie Davis August 12, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Hi!

I recently started reading your blog and had a random question. I noticed in your FAQ and pictures section that you used to “go out” a lot in college and consume alcohol and what not. I am struggling right now because that was my “life” for so long and I was still able to maintain doing that when I counted calories. However, suffice it to say I was not eating hardly anything and probably not eating the healthiest stuff either, simply counting. I did maintain for a year, but since getting married decided to stop counting and I have noticed a bit of the weight creeping back on. I still go out a fair amount and I am thinking that is largely the culprit. My question is how to did you manage to reduce your intake of alcohol and do you ever feel deprived now only going out and having a couple?

45 Meghann August 12, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Hi Katie,

Yes, I went out a lot in college and I was not the healthiest of people. Fortunately for me as I move farther and farther from my college way of life, I tend to find myself going out less and less. When I do go out I only have one drink and sometimes none. To be honest I really didn’t care for alcohol in the first time. I only drank cause everyone else did. Now I feel I am in more control of my life I decide if I don’t like something then I am simply not going to have it. I don’t like liquor, but would drink because everyone else did. Now I stick to wine and beer, two things I actually enjoy. When I go out I can make one drink last practically all night or I will just ask for a soda water with lime. I still have fun with my friends without the no control feeling I used to experience in my younger days. Honestly I prefer it that way.

I hope that helps.
Meghann

46 krittie August 12, 2009 at 12:21 pm

My parents used to have tons of little puppies running around because we had a male and female dog who were madly in love 🙂 But, to potty train them we would let them run around outside a lot during the day. Typically they would go outside. When we brought them in, we would let them run freely in the house, but if they did go on the floor, we would put them in their cage and tell them no. Puppies love to run around freely so when you take that away from them, they understand they are doing something wrong. It got to the point that when they had to go they would cry if they were in the cage so we would take them out and then let them run around after they went. We didn’t use treats because they would always expect that, we used play time for them. We also tried not to give them human food because they will expect that later too! This always worked and my dog had 4 sets of puppies! Good Luck!

47 lauren (foodshoesbooze) August 12, 2009 at 12:24 pm

yikes, a labor of love. Well hey, at least breakfast looked good! 🙂

48 BethT August 12, 2009 at 12:25 pm

The golden rule I remember from housetraining is to stay outside with them until they go (even if it takes a loooong time) and try to keep your eye on them so you can scoop them up and run them outside if it looks like they’re taking a squat.

49 Sheri August 12, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Well when were were training our dog the big thing was staying consistent with her. After she ate, drank or played we would put her outside. Also, once during the night usually we would have to take her out and also in the morning. To make it a little fun for her we hung a bell off the door handle and every time we took her out we would ring it. Then after a while she got the idea and started ringing it herself A LOT! lol

We also would reward her with a small treat when she did the potty outside she liked that.

But after awhile she got the hang of it and she was good! Takes time and and lots of paitence!

We did the puppy pad thing too for a while we also penned her for the first little while in an x-pen in the kitchen to try and keep her contained so all those accidents happened on the lino and not the carpet!

50 Matt August 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I think the key is to just take her out consistently and stay until she goes. It is a pain, but you want her to get the picture!

51 Taylor Leigh August 12, 2009 at 12:40 pm

little precious Maddie! I know, seriously if puppies were not cute, then I would be one angry girl when they poop inside! I think you have gotten plenty of advice for potty training! They learn quick! Good luck and happy hump DAy!

52 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 12, 2009 at 12:44 pm

That sounds very frustrating. You’re right, she’s lucky she’s cute! Say that to my cats a lot haha!

53 Rosey Rebecca August 12, 2009 at 12:47 pm

My dog used pee all over the house! She just grew out of it. I think we have the same pretty glasses!

54 Andrea August 12, 2009 at 1:12 pm

CRATE TRAINING! It’s the only thing that works. Piddle pads are useless because it teaches them to go inside and doesn’t teach them to hold it. If you leave her in a crate with just enough room to turn around and lay down in, she won’t be able to potty without going on themselves – which they do not want to do. Puppies can hold it for a lot longer than you might think when they’re forced to.
Definitely treat and overly praise when she does go outside and if you do crate train, treat and overly praise her when she goes in the crate – she’ll learn that it’s her safe place and not a puppy prison!

55 Andrea August 12, 2009 at 1:54 pm

one more thing – I used this trick on Basil & Winston – when you’re at home chilliin’ on the couch watching TV, leash her to the coffee table, or whatever you have nearby. That way, she should start to signal to you that she has to go outside, or if she does go right in front or you, you can catch her right away and scold her. It also prevents her from wandering around the house outside of your line of sight where she can be naughty.

56 Jess August 12, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Puppies can only hold it for as many hours as they are months old. For example. if Maddie is two months old she can only hold her bladder for two hours max. Creating a routine where she goes out every two hours will prevent accidents. Reward her by praise and letting her play out of her crate for 15 minutes every time she goes outside. Puppies should be kept mostly in their crate until housetrained — just make sure its comfortable for her with a dog bed.

57 Nicci August 12, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Yes, It is a pain but you will have to stay outside for awhile untill she goes. And also crate training is the best option too. Alao, rub her nose in her pee; when she goes inside, not hard but dogs don’t like that either.

58 KatieF August 12, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Spend time outside with her (like a long time, so that she will HAVE to go at some point while you’re outside). When she does go, she gets praise and treats. When she has an accident inside, silently grab her and bring her outside. If she then goes outside, she gets a treat. She needs to associate doing her business outside with good things (praise, treats). Make sure you give her plenty of opportunities to go out, too–when our dog was little we brought him outside at least once every two hours, and kept track on a chalkboard in our kitchen of when he last went out. Crate training was helpful, too, but keep in mind that when they’re young they don’t physically have the ability to “hold it” for very long, and an accident in her crate could be a big setback. Just remember that it is a process and will take time (and lots of accidents) before she’s totally housebroken…it will happen with time. Good luck!

59 Allison K August 12, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Everyone has given great advice. I wanted to throw my two cents in about the cleaner you are using. We use Nature’s Miracle and it is AMAZING. We’ve tried everything and this works the absolute best. I thought I saw a bottle of it on your blog but wasn’t sure….if not..get it. It’s spendy but Totally worth it! It’s also great for cleaning up doggy throw up.

Also, my number one piece of advice is be patient. I had a dog with the same issue….wouldn’t go outside, as soon as she was inside she would go. Spend as much time outside as she needs.

60 Lauren August 12, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Okay, I know you’ve gotten a ton a great advice on this, but I wanted to share just one more with you.

I have a litlte dog and training him to potty outside was a nightmear. BEST ADVICE someone gave me….whenever he does his business inside, you must pick up the poo and take it outside with the puppy. Show them that it goes outside. If he/she pees in the house, rub his nose in the pee. I know it sounds a little harsh, but it works….I promise!

Good luck, I know it’s totally time consuming and frusterating but it will get better.

61 Kirsty August 13, 2009 at 1:36 am

Yikes! Please, please, please don’t rub their noses in their wee!!! An old wives tale that is really unnecessary!

62 Luna August 13, 2009 at 4:23 am

mmm…lately i have the same problem with one of my two pets.The problem is she is a cat! ! !

63 Luna August 13, 2009 at 4:26 am

by the way, my vet told me that if you rub their nose where they peed, it’s more likely they will do it again in the same place!!!This is a “cat-advice”, not sure if it is the same for dogs 🙂

64 prinny August 13, 2009 at 4:58 am

Puppy training.. so much fun 😉

With my dog, it helped extremly to keep her on a strict schedule like many of the others already said. I also set an alarm for every couple hours during the nights (for the first couple weeks) to get up and take her outside, which really made a difference. The weird part was that I have a huge backyard, but she would never use that as her bathroom when she was little, just playing. I adapted to that and took her onto the street to do her business and in the backyard to play – worked well. She’s nine now, and has given up on the strict separation 😉

Oh, and for your weights: be happy it’s only the weights. My dog ate the leather steering whele, parking break and stick shift cover in my dad’s brand new Mercedes when she was a puppy because I left her in there for 10 minutes while running an errand (my car was in the shop…) and she wiggled out of her crate. Not very happy times…

65 Andrea (Off Her Cork) August 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

Meghann, does Maddie like toys? If she’s not interested in treats (even super yummy stuff like cheese or deli meat, stuff with strong smells), she might prefer a toy. Something super exciting that she can only have if she potties outside. Once she goes, she gets to play with the toy (outside only) for a few minutes. Once back inside, toy gets put away where she can’t see or get to it. 🙂