Office Smells

by Meghann on August 11, 2009

Working in a small office usually means I have the pleasure of experiencing the collective smells coming from the kitchen throughout the day. In the morning I smell the fresh brewed coffee, at lunch I smell everyone’s frozen meals sizzling away in the microwave and in the afternoon the office fills with aromas of fresh popped popcorn.

This morning the rich smell of cinnamon filled my cubicle. I could have swore someone just baked fresh cinnamon rolls, but instead I found a co-worker toasting up a piece of cinnamon raisin bread. The idea of fresh cinnamon rolls is still deep in my mind. Perhaps I shall bake a batch in the next week? 😉

Do you have the pleasure of smelling what everyone in your office is cooking?

Instead of the cinnamon roll I had my hopes for, I had a Goof Run Cashew Cookie as my mid-morning snack.

CIMG7261

I can not express how much I love these things. They are very dense and hearty. The perfect snack!

You may start to see a theme for my lunches the next couple of days. At the store this weekend I did not buy much because of my early departure in the week. Though what I did buy, I bought plenty of. I promise the meals won’t be completely the same, but the ingredients will be.

CIMG7263

In an effort to recreate my delicious wrap from Sunday, I took all the elements from my Healthy Trio Salad plate from yesterday and stuff them in a Pita.

CIMG7264

The massaged Kale, Taboule, and Hummus made a great combo whether eaten separately or in the same mouthfuls. 🙂

On the side I had a couple of Cucumber Slices & Grape Tomatoes.

CIMG7268

And the rest of my Apple from this morning.

CIMG7269

This was such a great refreshing lunch. I really enjoy eating cold lunches in the hot summer months and this one was perfect!

*~*~Congrats to new fur parents Tina and Mal, who brought home little Murphy this morning!~*~*

If you’re a dog lover check out Tina’s video of the wee one. I know him and Maddie are going to be great friends. Congrats!

1 brandi August 11, 2009 at 1:22 pm

oh yeah, the office smells 🙂

coffee every morning.
frozen tv dinners at lunch, or my leftovers being heated.

not popcorn usually, but somebody’s afternoon tea ALWAYS Smells like poundcake! it kills me.

2 Jill August 11, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Hi Meghan — I’m new to your blog, but in a very similar boat, as a recent graduate and twenty something trying to survive in the harsh corporate ‘real world’! 🙂
Do you make those delicious cashew cookies yourself? Is their a recipe hidden somewhere on your blog? I’d like to try making them… Thanks!

3 Meghann August 11, 2009 at 2:16 pm

it’s a local company that makes the cookies http://www.goodrun.us/brandb.html

4 Danielle August 11, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Those frozen lunches can trick you into thinking something delicious is being cooked.

And I love the popcorn smells, as long as it nots burned popcorn, that’s the worst!

5 Leianna August 11, 2009 at 1:32 pm

My work is part time in a deli, so my “office” always smells of food!

6 AshleyP August 11, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I’m smelling popcorn right now! My office backs up to the kitchen area…there’s no escaping! I hate it when this one guy makes bacon in the mornings, ick.

7 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 11, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I’m so excited that Tina finally got her pug!! 🙂

I am close to the microwave in my office, so I feel ya. I had the same experience with cinnamon the other day, it was a cinnamon raisin bread in the toaster!! Burnt popcorn is the worst, ugh ;(

8 Carolyn August 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I’ve really been craving some Tabouli now, but I keep forgetting to get lemon juice. I feel like I live at the grocery store sometimes.

9 kristi (sweet cheeks) August 11, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Mmmm, I love nice summery lunches like that!

10 indieconquers (Run Study Eat) August 11, 2009 at 1:54 pm

MMM! I work at a cafe on campus and we just got these new black bean veggie burgers. The smell is so unbearable I am always tempted to buy one!

11 Matt August 11, 2009 at 1:55 pm

When I was an intern in an office last summer it smelled like Lean Cuisine 24/7. It was actually kind of disgusting!

12 Hallie August 11, 2009 at 1:57 pm

My office is right by my floor’s kitchen AND the bathroom, but luckily I don’t really catch the smells from either on. A few weeks ago though, we had a chili cook-off, so literally every floor of my building smelled like chili that day…which was interesting at 10 AM 🙂

13 Lizzy August 11, 2009 at 1:58 pm

mmm that pita looks delish!!!

14 trinichiqn August 11, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Luckily for me our kitchen and cafeteria are on another floor, but I bring my lunch and usually eat at my desk. I cook every morning and keep my lunch insulated so when I open the container if not hot it is vry warm and everyone gets a whiff of mine. One of my co-workers says I am like an alarm clock cause I always eat on time and I always make her hungry with my delicious smells.

15 Quinn August 11, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I used to sit closer to the kitchen and was always getting smells wafting over. The best/worst is the afternoon popcorn. I distinctly remember that from my school days too – sitting in class and some other class or teacher in the teacher’s lounge had made popcorn – and I was so jealous!

16 RunToFinish August 11, 2009 at 2:15 pm

sorry I’m way behind…have you posted the recipe for those balls??

17 Raya August 11, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I too work in a smalllll building and usually I am the one who’s making all the “weird smells” in the office…Most of my co-workers order out, so whenever anyone cooks anything, people come to me to ask me what I’m making even if it’s not me!! I will say though, that I work with a lot of smokers, and I CANNOT STAND when they go outside and smoke and then stand next to my desk. They stink!! 🙂

18 harri004 August 11, 2009 at 2:40 pm

mmmm that wrap looks fab! When everyone is my office is making food I generally can’t smeel it, but walk outside for a minute and come back it and it’s so strong!

rachelsworkbites.com

19 Tammy Eros August 11, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I WISH we had yummy office food smells…I work ina hospital and things smell ALL BUT yummy there! Plus, I rarely get time to eat!

20 Pam August 11, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I sit right next to the kitchen so I know what everyone is cooking. I also have the unfortunate pleasure of being the first to know if there are dessert in the kitchen.. Someday I will be able to turn them down!

21 Katy August 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm

So funny that you just posted this, because for some reason today, my office smells AWFUL and I started chewing some cinnamon gum just so the goodness would waft up to my nose!

I also hate the smell of relish, and someone in the office uses it … and leaves it out. So when I get my food, I am smacked in the face.

I guess the solution is to start baking and bringing yummies myself, to try and battle back!

22 Anne Marie August 11, 2009 at 3:11 pm

the microwave at my office is about 20 steps from my desk. i smell people’s food allllll day long!

23 Whit August 11, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I am pretty much the only one who cooks in our office. I always get comments on the good smells though. Or the reeking, when I use garlic.

24 Meghan August 11, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Haha I work right above Morton’s Steakhouse so every so often, wafts of steak and burgers come through the vents! Now if I only ate meat…

25 nutritionbyeve August 11, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I’m lucky to have an office all to myself 🙂 But there is a mini kitchen, that has a microwave and fridge – and it does not always smell the best!

26 Christina August 11, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Ugh I hate when people make popcorn. It makes me want it so bad and the smell lingers forever!

27 Kristin August 11, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I am obsessed with the ‘good run’ nut “cookies” also! I buy the cashew and peanut ones, I think that there is a flax also but I have not tried it. They are good with a little bit of almond butter too!

28 Rosey Rebecca August 11, 2009 at 9:37 pm

My office is tiny and I can always smell everybody’s lunch! Sometimes things get really smelly!

29 modernbridewithabudget August 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I just found your blog, and you are such an inspiration! I am an intern at a food production company, so each floor of the building smells like a different food. Cinnamon rolls, biscuits, cookies…