Caught Again

by Meghann on August 11, 2009

I had to run a few errands for work this afternoon that took much longer then anticipated. Since I thought it would be a quick trip, I left my mid afternoon snack at my office. Big mistake. This is the second time in the last month I have been caught without my snack and I think I have learned my lesson by now. Even if you are sure you have enough time, always have a snack on hand. πŸ™‚

I debated stopping at a Publix or Starbucks for a quick grab, but decided to stick it out and enjoy the snack I had waiting for me at my desk. Which just happened to be a new bar I have been wanting to try.

CIMG7270.JPG

I love the kid versions of regular bars. They are bascially lower calories versions of the full bar and sometimes have fun additions. For instant this bar at a nice crunch thanks to the addition of crispies.

CIMG7271.JPG

It was pretty good, I made sure to eat it very slowly and savor every bite. It did the trick and saved me from further hangry moments.

After work I completed level 3 of the 30 day Shred and decided to try a vitamin gummy sample I received on Sunday.

CIMG7274.JPG

I was expected yummy, chewy fruit snacks and instead got a chewy nasty vitamin.

CIMG7276.JPG

It had that vitamin aftertaste I remember from the Flinstone chewables as a kid. Yuck! This vitamin was not for me.

Dinner tonight was a lovely plate of good eats.

CIMG7278.JPG

I took the left over tofu from last night and baked another 1/3 of the block in a BBQ Sauce marinade.

CIMG7283.JPG

While that was baking I got the brillant idea of Okra Fries.

CIMG7280.JPG

I coated whole Okra with a tad too much taco seasoning and baked them at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I dipped them and ketchup and ate them whole. Next time I will go easy on the seasoning, but beside that these were a simple, greener alternative to french fries.

Last but not least I had 1/3 of a Yucca steamed with a touch of butter.

CIMG7279.JPG

I <3 Yucca!!

Dinner ended on a high note with a couple of pieces of chocolate.

CIMG7284.JPG

I really wanted FroYo, but was too lazy to drive anywhere. Oh well.

Packing for Boston is ridiculously hard! Tonight has been one big fashion show. I’ve been walking the runway for Maddie in each new outfit. She’s not a very good critic though, she jumps and gives me kisses after each turn. I am packing way more then is needed, just in case. I’m hoping my roommates will be able to help me to decide as well!

1 MegaNerd August 11, 2009 at 8:59 pm

yes! your roomies (including me!) will help you choose! πŸ˜€

I still don’t know what i’m packing, and I’m not even home to be looking….gaaaah!

2 indieconquers (Run Study Eat) August 11, 2009 at 9:04 pm

YUM! Never had okra fries so I may try that!

3 Allie Katie August 11, 2009 at 9:06 pm

What a great idea on the fried okra! I want to try that ASAP!

4 Amelia August 11, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Okra fries is such a good idea. As a kid I used to eat fried okra and call it my vegetable. Something like these fries might have been a healthier alternative. πŸ˜›

5 Matt August 11, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I hate being caught without a snack! It is weird that some of my friends eat like once or twice a day and I have to eat 5 or 6. I dunno how they do it!

6 runeatrepeat August 11, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I was just thinking that I need to keep a few granola bars in my purse!

7 Ryan @ Greens for Good August 11, 2009 at 9:32 pm

We had yuca tonight too! In fry form…which I definitely did not master, haha.

When I get caught without a snack I start craving things I would NEVER normally eat…dangeroussss.

Have fun in BOSTON!!! I totally wish I was going!

8 traveleatlove August 11, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Our weather here in Boston has been pretty crazy too- started out today oppresively hot, and now it is pouring and I am in a sweatshirt!
I have total meltdowns if I don’t have emergency snacks on hand at all times!

9 Rosey Rebecca August 11, 2009 at 9:42 pm

I love kid size bars!! I would have totally gone to Starbucks! You so good to resist the urge!

10 Emily August 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm

That looks good, I’ve never eaten okra whole. You might like this recipe – http://eatventures.wordpress.com/eats/sides/oven-fried-okra/

11 Britt August 11, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I got stuck in a 4 hour meeting last night with no snack and no dinner in my tummy. Not fun!

Better to overpack then to underpack…. at least that is what I think. πŸ™‚

12 Lizzy August 11, 2009 at 9:59 pm

okra should be on my to do list. i never wanted to try it because of the texture but i think i should give it a try! hopefully packing is getting easier!

13 Erica August 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm

That bar sounds awesome! I want to try it! I agree- the kids version always seems to be better (with jamfrakas being the exception). Great din din. I am getting some yucca tomorrow- can’t wait to try it

14 Andee (Runtolive) August 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I hate that feeling running errands and feeling hungry! Okra fries look good

15 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Haha! I LOVED Flinstone vitamins as a kid! I don’t remember the vitaminy taste – I should try them again now as an adult!

I always see you and Caitlin eating kids versions of bars (like z bars) and it’s not fair – LOL – they don’t sell those in Canada! We only have the adult versions!

16 Lindsay August 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Okay, this may sound really weird but I absolutely loved the taste of Flinstones vitamins as a kid. Like, I would look forward to every night before bed so I could take them. I guess I should try these gummy bears then πŸ˜€ Good luck packing!

17 Laura August 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Kids products are always more fun. Half the time I wish that I were shorter so that I could buy kids’ jeans from the Gap. I have a friend that is petite and can away with that!
I love the Kids’ bars by Odwalla – yummmmmy. Happy packing!

~Laura
lauramke.blogspot.com

18 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 11, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Good luck with your packing!!

19 broccolihut August 12, 2009 at 12:48 am

Okra fries=brilliant!
Good luck packing, and I’ll see you in Boston!

20 Madelin August 12, 2009 at 7:22 am

I hate when I forget my snacks πŸ™ it’s horrible!! Especially because my tummy can be very noisy!!!

21 nutritionbyeve August 12, 2009 at 7:37 am

Packing is so hard! At least you will have fun roommates to help you make the decision once there!

22 carolinebee August 12, 2009 at 8:07 am

Ha maddie fashion show i love it!!! OMG you’ll die Boston is soooo amazingly fun and delicious food is everywhere!!! I’m gonna try to meet up at JP’s but I”m not quite sure of my schedule- either way you’ll have the best time!!! Have a safe trip friend πŸ˜€

23 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 12, 2009 at 8:59 am

Glad you survived a snack attack! Good luck with packing, I can’t wait to see what all you all do this weekend πŸ™‚ Wish I could be there!

24 Elina August 12, 2009 at 9:34 am

You guys are making me nervous with all this outfits talk. I have no idea what to wear. Just planned on grabbing something before getting out the door. Hmm, maybe I should put a little more effort into it. πŸ˜‰

25 Susan August 12, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I’ve got some yucca in my fridge right now waiting to be eaten! I’ve never tried it before, I’m excited πŸ™‚ I’ve also never had okra – that’s next!

26 Liz @ intheskinny August 12, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Flinstone vitamins! Those were so gross, but I always had to take them.