Samples Rule

by Meghann on August 10, 2009

I <3 Free Samples!! Especially yummy ones! πŸ˜‰

This morning I dug into my treasure cove of free samples from yesterday’s swag-a-palooza and brought out this Chocolate Envirokidz Crispy Rice Bar to snack on this afternoon.

CIMG7243.JPG

Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat? Yes, Please!

CIMG7244.JPG

The bar was the perfect mid-afternoon treat. It was gooey and crispy at the same time. Yum! Too bad I only grabbed one!

Sadly dinner contained no free samples, but it still tasted great. πŸ™‚

CIMG7245.JPG

A Spaghetti Squash has been staring me down on the counter for a couple of weeks now, so I finally decided to put it out of it’s misery and build my meal around it tonight.

CIMG7249.JPG

I halved and baked the squash for 30 minutes at 375 before I tore away at the inside with a knife. While the squash was baking I sauteed 1/3 of a block of tofu, onion, garlic, kale, okra, & red pepper flakes on the stove top.

CIMG7248.JPG

I topped the finish product with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan Cheese.

The meal came out great. I really needed some veggies and this definitely did the trick.

Dessert was a mini Coconut Milk Ice Cream Sandwich.

CIMG7250.JPG

This sandwich was tiny, but the couple of bites it took me to eat this was really all I needed.

CIMG7253.JPG

Today really did fly by, let’s hope the next two days are the same way! I have laundry buzzing in the dryer and a half packed suit case yelling “feed me!” Let the final preparations begin!

1 Matt August 10, 2009 at 8:46 pm

My day flew by too!

2 indieconquers (Run Study Eat) August 10, 2009 at 8:47 pm

MMM! I really want to try one of those So Delicious bars. And oh yes, MOndays always are a whirlwind to me.

3 runnerskitchen August 10, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Send some of your packing motivation my way! I love squash and root veggies. They make excited about fall!

4 Spotty Prep August 10, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I could really use one of those ice cream sandwiches now, they look amazing!

5 Carolyn August 10, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I love those bars, I found them at Target for less than $2.50/box a couple weeks ago. I was very happy it was so good since a lot of GF convenience foods are ICKY!

6 Lauren August 10, 2009 at 9:13 pm

What could be better than a sample…oh yes, when that sample is FREE! I agree, free food rocks!

I actually just picked up a box of those ice cream sammys with a FREE coupon. Gotta love it!

7 Lizzy August 10, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Where do you get your spaghetti squash. i want to try a recipe with it and i’m lost to as where to find it?

8 Meghann August 11, 2009 at 8:49 am

I just bought mine at Publix, they’re out of season so it would probably be easier to find late in the Fall

9 Rosey Rebecca August 10, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I agree, samples do rule!! I hope the rest of your week flies by!

10 Coco August 10, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I’ve always loved spaghetti squash, but I’ve never known how to cook it up! Now that I can simply bake it and throw it together with other things I am def gonna try it!!!! Those Enviro-kids bars are great!

11 Whit August 10, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I so have that bowl! But mine has a large crack down the side; so don’t put it in the dishwasher, k?

12 Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Coconut milk ice cream is the best! I haven’t tried spaghetti squash yet, but acorn squash is one of my favs. Mike loved that chocolate granola bar, too!

13 Carolyn August 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I’ve really got to try making spaghettie squash at home. I tried it at a restaurant once and was surprised every time I took a bite about how much it tasted like pasta.

14 Lynn (The Actors Diet) August 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm

mmmm those ice cream sammies look great! have been looking for a non-dairy non-soy sandwich!

15 Mo August 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Mmmm…fantastic looking meal. I can’t wait for spaghetti squash to be in season again. Do you buy your kale already cut and washed, or do you buy it on stem? I get lazy cleaning and de-stemming, but I love kale. :-/

16 Meghann August 11, 2009 at 8:47 am

I bought this batch pre cut and washed in a Faded Glory bag. I like to buy it fresh, but for they don’t always have it at my Publix.

17 Rachel August 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I’ve always wanted to try one of those crispy bars! It’s good to know (from a trusted source) that it’s worth it. Good luck on your continuing preparations!

18 Andee (Runtolive) August 11, 2009 at 12:17 am

I want to try that flavor ice cream bars, but they are so expensive at WF! I found a cheaper generic version at Trader Joe’s, but they only have chocolate and vanilla flavor

19 Jolene (everydayfoodie.ca) August 11, 2009 at 12:18 am

I love free samples too! Haha, that is the only reason I go to Costco LOL πŸ™‚ Mmm mmm spaghetti squash is the best!!

20 Marissa August 11, 2009 at 2:52 am

I love those ice cream sandwiches!

21 Averie August 11, 2009 at 3:12 am

I have been wanting to try those little EnviroKidz granola bars. The gluten free community suggest them and I am GF. Normally I dont eat those kind of things b/c they have gluten and I am intolerant, so good to know it’s not only GF but that it tastes yummy. I also think your spaghetti squash looks really good. I have never made one. I dig other squash but have never tried that variety.

22 Ada August 11, 2009 at 6:24 am

A chocolate rice krispie treat does indeed sound great! I love those ice cream sandwiches, I can’t stop eating them!!

23 Danielle August 11, 2009 at 8:37 am

I thought it was just me, but that was the fastest Monday I’ve had in a super long time!
I’ve seen those rice krispie treats at the store, but never thought to pick them up, maybe I will though now.

24 Hilda August 11, 2009 at 6:22 pm

That spaghetti squash dish looks really intriguing. And I love those So Delicious coconut milk mini sandwiches. Have you tasted the banana split one? It’s insane!