Never Ending Cravings

by Meghann on August 10, 2009

I feel like when ever I am denied something I am craving, it just intensifies the craving and makes me want it even more. For instance when I was denied taboule at the Greek restaurant last week, I have not been able to get it off my mind.

I did have some at Whole Foods on Saturday and in my wrap yesterday, but it just doesn’t seem to be enough.

Last night I was once again sadden to discover my Publix does not carry pre-made taboule. Instead I was happy to discover a boxed version as a delicious alternative.

CIMG7230

I prepared the mix last night with the addition of Cucumbers, Feta and Tomatoes. I allowed it to cool in the fridge and enjoyed it in my version of my favorite restaurant orders: a Healthy Salad Trio. πŸ™‚

CIMG7236

The taboule was spot on. The box made a ton so I have a feeling you will be seeing this salad a lot before I leave for Boston on Thursday.

CIMG7237

Hummus

CIMG7238

Massaged Kale Salad

CIMG7239

For dipping I was excited to try these Pita Chips I picked up yesterday.

CIMG7231

I really love this local bakery and wanted to buy everything they had to offer.

CIMG7232

The chips were crispy and light, perfect for dipping!

CIMG7240

I also had a couple of cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes (BOGO at Publix this week!) and a carrot to round out the plate.

CIMG7241

With my meal I tried a new tea I picked up yesterday.

CIMG7233

Despite the odd looking container, it was really tasty. I drank half with my lunch and am saving the other half for tomorrow.

A couple of Dark Chocolate Edamame  may have passed through my lips on the way out the door as well. πŸ˜‰

What foods have you been craving lately?

1 Andee (Runtolive) August 10, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I love the Near East brand couscous, especially the herbed chicken flavor. Last night I was craving marinara sauce with Parm, but didn’t want the pasta. Instead, I just cooked up a bunch of veggies and topped it with the sauce and cheese. Satisfied my craving, with all the pasta!

2 Sheri August 10, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Funny I was thinking about this yesterday when i was making my meal plan for the week. I have been craving Salmon and I am going to make a grilled version tonight for supper…can’t wait!

3 VeggieGirl August 10, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I’ve been craving LOTS of dulse (seaweed) – I’m crazy, I know, haha πŸ˜€

4 Stephanie August 10, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I’ve never tried Tabole. But it looks good!! And I love Near East Rice Pilaf. soo good. I always crave fruit. Yesterday, I couldn’t think of anything else until I ate an apple.

5 Lizzy August 10, 2009 at 2:24 pm

OMG that plate made my mouth water! everything looked soooooooo YUMMY! i’m lebanese so taboule is something i eat regularly, but i’ve never made myself, so i def wanna try this! so yummy. my mom has used products from near east before so i totally know everything is good! so glad that it tasted amazing, and satisfied your craving! πŸ™‚

6 Whit August 10, 2009 at 2:24 pm

haha, I noticed the tabouli craving, not gonna lie. I have been craving salads like crazy of late.

7 Traci August 10, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Craving things I don’t have to turn the stove on for! So anything grilled (fish/veggies as i don’t eat meat or poultry) or raw is a great choice. Of course craving ice cream, which goes without saying for me in the summer time!

8 Amelia August 10, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Love Near East products! I used to live on their rice pilaf. πŸ™‚
I’ve been craving peaches like no one’s business. I bought a giant container from TJ’s.

9 strawberry @ MySnackAttack August 10, 2009 at 2:28 pm

AHHHH! taboule is soooo good. my last month in china i was craving it SO bad, it was one of the first things i ate when i got home! lately i’ve been craving eggplant hummus from trader joe’s, it is amazzzzing, way better than regular hummus and almost half the calories per serving, too.

10 Mandy A August 10, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Mmmmm… Love the couscous!!!!!!!!!

I have been craving smoothies! I’ve been making a ton lately! I used to have them maybe once or twice every couple of weeks! Now it’s every other day!

11 Tammy Eros August 10, 2009 at 2:31 pm

oooo…on the not-so-healthy side, I have been craving hamburgers…any and all kinds…and chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats!

12 runeatrepeat August 10, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I am the same way – if I am craving something and can’t get it, I can’t stop thinking about it!

13 Juicy Jessy August 10, 2009 at 2:33 pm

i crave so much πŸ˜‰ but esp. all the things you and the other bloggies have been posting πŸ™‚
when someone writes something about hummus I go “mmmm i want hummus” but then i read something about baba ghanoush and so I made baba ghanoush. right now i feel like eating tabouli LOL what do you mean i’m easy to influence πŸ™‚

another thing you’ve influenced me to do: the 30 day shred. πŸ™‚ i do have some questions about it though, so i’ve written a post about it. do you know the answer? thanks a lot!

i’ve also a question about the massaged kale. how do you do it and what does it do? i’ve hardly ever eaten kale; only with mashed potatoes. i once tried it raw after seen it in someone’s salad; and i thought it tasted weird and didn’t really like the texture :s

thanks!!!

14 Meghann August 10, 2009 at 2:40 pm

For the 30 Day Shred I did level 1 for 10Days, level 2 for 10 Days and level 3 for 10 days. πŸ™‚

Also for the massaged kale salad I simply massaged the kale with some EVOO, lemon juice and salt and pepper and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or more. The acid in the lemon juice softens the kale and makes it really tasty.

15 Deirdre August 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I’ve been craving sushi and bananas.

16 TorontoGirloutWest August 10, 2009 at 2:36 pm

It’s going to sound strange but I’ve been craving jicama!!! πŸ˜›

17 healthy ashley August 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Now you’ve got me craving taboule!!

18 Beth @ CrossBorderCravings August 10, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Because it’s so so hot outside in DC right now I want things like fresh veggies, yogurt and fruit! I guess that’s a good thing but I do wish it would cool down so I could enjoy a good bowl of oats :O).

19 nutritionbyeve August 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I love tabbouleh! You can make it really easily from plain bulgar wheat – just google a recipe. I’ve also made a quinoa tabbouleh before that was wonderful. It’s all about the fresh herbs, tomato, cucumber & lemon juice. Yum!

20 Shannon (The Daily Balance) August 10, 2009 at 3:16 pm

not the healthiest – but PIZZA! i think I’ve had my fill, though, so I plan on trying to focus my cravings on healthier items πŸ˜‰

21 Holly August 10, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Funny you should ask! Lately ALL i can think about is chocolate cake with rich chocolate icing! ugh! I need to go out and share one with the bf soon…usually I’m a carrot cake or key lime type of girl. Cravings are so mysterious….

22 Leah August 10, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Thanks to you, I’m now craving chocolate covered edamame. Hmph.

23 Courtney August 10, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I have been craving sweet potatoes covered in Sabra hummus….MMMMM. Now I want one! And I have no Sabra!!
Your salad plate looked DELISH.
Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

24 Jenna August 10, 2009 at 3:58 pm

i have been craving chobani yogurtss and peanut buttahhh πŸ˜‰

25 Coco August 10, 2009 at 4:29 pm

I’ve been craving all these good heirloom tomatoes that are making a major appearance at the grocery store. They are sooooo tasty!!!! Especially with really good basil, olive oil, fresh mozzarella, and good rustic bread.

26 biz319 August 10, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I’ve seen that box before, but haven’t tried it yet – I’ll have to!

And if you have time, could you chime in on my lastest post about the direction of BSI – the last few contests have been picked by random integer, not by use of ingredient!

Happy Monday, and I am with you on the Monday morning alarm! πŸ˜€

27 krittie August 10, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Oddly enough, I have been craving some watermelon. You would think that I have been eating it since it is summer, but I have yet to eat any! I know, what is wrong with me…. Maybe I will pick some up tonight!

28 Kristen August 10, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Now I think I might be craving Tabouleh….and I really want to try chocolate covered edemame.

Most of my cravings this summer have been for really good tomatoes and really good berries. Luckily, ’tis the season!

29 Brandi August 10, 2009 at 5:29 pm

i’ve been craving eggs and salads lately. weird combo, but that’s all I’ve been thinking about!

30 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) August 10, 2009 at 5:43 pm

I am the same exact way. When I am denied something I crave, I crave it so much more intensely. I’ve beenc raving 2 things: 1) CHEESE – monteray jack, but I finally found some so now I’m good. and 2) Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I don’t like spongy cake like things usually (only like the dense, chocolate, decadent stuff πŸ™‚ ), and I also hate sugary frosting, but cream cheese icing is another story. I could inhale that stuff πŸ™‚ Maybe i’m just in love with cheese lately, haha!

31 ksgoodeats August 10, 2009 at 5:55 pm

You know, tabboule is the one Med. food that I really can’t get myself to like. I don’t know why – maybe I’m just weird πŸ˜‰

Those pita chips look fantastic! I’ve been craving veggies and salsa up the wazoo lately. I think because it’s so humid I just want refreshing things.

32 Leianna August 10, 2009 at 6:58 pm

That salad plate/toboule trio looks amazing. I have yet to try that! I’ve been craving juicy fruits. I have some almost ripen nectarines on my counter and will definetely have 2 tomorrow!

33 Mish August 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I think that is such an important thing to understand….that cravings are ok. I used to deny myself so many thing—ie ‘dieting’ for eight years. What ended up happening recently is that coupled with a restrictive approach and a very stresseful work/health/break up situation I started binging. Wow..didn’t that put on the weight? I have learned–am learning to enjoy things when I want them, as long as I fueling my body. It’s hard to be ‘ok’ with having something. Retraining your brain to actually enjoy food, be ok with everything is beyond any freedom that I’ve had for such a long time. I have to admit the first day that I made this decision, I binged ‘WOO HOO’ I can FINALLY eat this. However, I am taking each day at a time and reconginsing the it’s not about binging…no food is going to be taken away from me. Thanks for writing this. It just reminds me of where I have come from and where I am going!

p.s. It looks darn tasty!

34 MarathonVal August 10, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I go back and forth – most of the time I’l crave fresh veggies – cold – but then I also have moments where I don’t necessarily crave desserts but I crave the action of BAKING them, so then I end up eating them, naturally, lol. Then crave more veggies to counteract the sweets, and so on….

35 Christina August 10, 2009 at 7:56 pm

cutest green leaf plate! lets see foods im been craving? overnight oats! and vanilla froyo blizzard with pbcups and banana slices! had that after my 10 mile race the other day so i didnt feel so bad about it haha

36 Rosey Rebecca August 10, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I’ve been craving veggie thin crust pizza in the worst way!! I need to get some! Your lunch looks awesome! (as always) πŸ™‚

37 Susan August 10, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Um, well you totally have me craving tabouli now! And I even had it this past weekend too πŸ˜› Actually, I’ve been craving PB&Js a lot lately. I had my first ever peanut butter and jam combo for the first time last week (I know, I know) and ever since I’ve been wanting some every day! Gotta make up for lost time I guess πŸ˜‰

38 Kailey (pb swirl) August 10, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I totally can not get enough of falafel and BBQ sauce πŸ˜€ Not together though haha

39 Simone August 10, 2009 at 8:48 pm

It all looks so yummy. I have been having massive cravings for anything ginger flavored lately. I had a tofu ginger salad yesterday, stir fry with a soy sauce and ginger glaze, and massive amounts of ginger peach iced tea. Oh, and then this afternoon I bought some candied ginger to snack on which REALLY hit the spot. You are so right in that when you let a craving go un-full filled for a while, it does not just go away but intensifies and makes you want to eat those foods every day ’till you begin to crave the next new thing.

40 Nicole August 11, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Dark chocolate edamame?? That sounds sooooo good.