more ยป" />

Congrat to the Newlyweds!

by Meghann on August 9, 2009

First of all I need to give a big CONGRATS to the new Mr. and Mrs. Diaz!

CIMG7154.JPG

Even though I had never met either of them before last night (they’re Derek’s friends) I have to be honest when I say I shed a tear or two during the ceremony. It was a beautiful service and the love between of two of them was instantly apparent and flowed freely through the church.

I wish nothing, but the best to David & Jackie in their bright, beautiful future!!

The beautiful ceremony was followed by a beautiful reception.

CIMG7166.JPG

I started the party with a small plate of appetizers.

CIMG7159.JPG

The time we went through the line the food had been picked through and as we were walking away we saw the servers bringing fresh trays of the ‘good stuff.’ I grabbed a yummy beef empanada for Derek and I to share.

CIMG7160.JPG

While waiting for the wedding party to arrive at the reception I slowly sipped on the signature cocktail, a mojito.

CIMG7162.JPG

I am not a big mixed drink fan, but the mojito was really refreshing. It had the perfect amount of sweetness without over doing it.

CIMG7163.JPG

The couple have Cuban roots so there was a rich Cuban cultural theme throughout the wedding and reception which included a live latin band, a cuban cigar roller and amazing Cuban food.

CIMG7161.JPG

CIMG7169.JPG

This Cuban food knocked my socks off! I had a big plate of Black Beans & Rice, Cuban Pork, Plantains and Yucca.

CIMG7177.JPG

With a nice side salad.

CIMG7176.JPG

I ate about 3/4 of the plate and gave Derek 1/2 of my pork. He actually ended up going back for 2 full plates of food. That boy loves his black beans & rice!

Of course their can’t be wedding with out cake! And this cake sure was a looker!

CIMG7170.JPG

Unfortunately we left before the cake was cut. ๐Ÿ™ I did manage to grab two cream puffs though. ๐Ÿ™‚

CIMG7180.JPG

I love weddings and I really hope more of my friends get married in the near future. Weddings are filled with so much love and happiness, it’s hard for it not to become contagious.

CIMG7182.JPG

After the reception Derek and I booked it to the 10:05 showing of Julie & Julia. Have I mentioned how great this guy is yet?!?!

The movie was great. It was cute, funny and really had me thinking about this blog and the future it may hold. I know a lot of people look as Julia Childs as the pioneer in the movie, but I saw Julie Powell as my pioneer. She paved this little path in the blog world that I am sure many of us can appreciate. I really would love to read her book in the near future.

(P.S. Derek totally didn’t know who Julia Childs was until I told him after the movie… hehe)

This morning Derek joined me on a slow two mile run. He’s training for his first 5k in September, so we are slowly working our way up there. I told him his goal should be 10 minute miles and I really believe he can achieve it.

When we returned I had a nice bowl of fruit covered in some Uncle Sam’s Cereal I found in the cabinet of his parent’s house.

CIMG7186.JPG

The fruit portion consisted of Blueberries, Strawberries, Cantaloupe and Watermelon. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think Derek is going back to sleep and I am going to meet up with some friends at the big Health Market anniversary sale. Everything is marked 20% off. Yippee!!!!

1 Evan Thomas August 9, 2009 at 10:42 am

That wedding looks like a lot of fun! I love when the bride and groom pick a theme

2 Rosey Rebecca August 9, 2009 at 10:47 am

That cake is gorgeous!! I love weddings. I am the maid of honor in my brother’s wedding so I’m pretty psyched about that!

Derek is so sweet for going to see Julie and Julia with you. I couldn’t drag my boyfriend there if I tried!! You found a good one!! (haha I just totally made my boyfriend seem like a jerk, he’s not, I promise)

3 jocelyneatsfresh August 9, 2009 at 10:55 am

the wedding cake is beautifulllll

I haven’t seen many displays like the pig one you posted…maybe it’s just not something us Canadians do/see often? lol..interesting!

Glad you got to see Julie and Julia! <3 Love that movie

4 biz319 August 9, 2009 at 10:57 am

I cry at weddings I see on t.v., so don’t feel bad!

Too cute that he went to a late showing of that movie! I’ve read Julie’s blog – she’s a butcher now!

I am waiting to see it at our high end movie theater – complete with chef demonstration and an apron – can’t wait!

5 Melissa August 9, 2009 at 11:12 am

you guys are so cute. good luck on the 5k derek!

6 lacey August 9, 2009 at 11:22 am

I love cuban food. I think it is my all time favorite. I was born and raised in tampa where this is a huge latin feel. Being latin we ate a lot of black beans and rice when I was growing up. Love it!

7 Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 9, 2009 at 11:25 am

Cuban food is the best! You dress is gorgeous, by the way. ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Erica August 9, 2009 at 11:29 am

Love weddings- its so interesting to see what different people do with the event. That pig sort of freaks me out though!!!!! I cannot wait to see Julie and Julia, that is wonderful that Derek left the wedding to go to the movie with you- SO sweet. How is the puppers doing?

9 kristi (sweet cheeks) August 9, 2009 at 11:36 am

You’ve really got a good guy there, Meg! That is so awesome that he will go to a movie like that with you, run with you, etc, etc! Go Derek!

10 Katy August 9, 2009 at 11:47 am

Meghann,

I saw Julie & Julia on Friday night and LOVED IT. I thought there were some moments that stretched the facts, but Meryl Streep was amazing as Julia Child.

I ended up going to Pizza Fusion yesterday, and posted some pictures on my blog. I got the Farmer’s Market pizza and it was amazing!

See you in Boston soon!

11 Mandy A August 9, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Oh my gosh! That cake is beautiful!!!

Yeah, good guy there ๐Ÿ˜‰ Keep him around!

12 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 9, 2009 at 12:06 pm

That pig scared me haha!

13 indieconquers (Run Study Eat) August 9, 2009 at 12:13 pm

aww! sounds like life is going great.

14 ksgoodeats August 9, 2009 at 12:22 pm

What a beautiful wedding! I love mojitos!! They’re the best mixed drink there is ๐Ÿ™‚

Woohoo for 20% off! Have fun!

15 Chloe August 9, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I just ran my first 10 minute mile yesterday and felt so great! It was a huge accomplishment for me, and I now Derek will get there too.

Looks like you guys had a blast, I absolutely love weddings.

16 Jen August 9, 2009 at 12:48 pm

It’s Julia CHILD, no s.

17 Nicole August 9, 2009 at 12:55 pm

The cake looks so pretty!! I don’t want to get married, but the only thing I am sad to be missing out on is the cake!

18 Paige August 9, 2009 at 3:22 pm

The wedding looks fun! That cake is gorgeous, and so is your dress ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Pam (Highway to Health) August 9, 2009 at 4:02 pm

It looks like the wedding was a blast! You guys looked great.

I really want to see that movie. I will have to add it to my must see list.

20 Haleigh August 9, 2009 at 7:15 pm

It looks like you guys had a fabulous time at the wedding! And of course, Julie & Julia! ๐Ÿ™‚

That cake is absolutely amazing!

21 Bec August 9, 2009 at 9:39 pm

aww sounds like an amazing wedding! The food looks delic too!

22 Andee (Runtolive) August 9, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I am also helping my boyfriend train for a 5K. I have no idea where to start, 1 mile? After doing marathons, it’s hard for me to realize that running 3 miles might not be as easy to some people

23 Ashley August 10, 2009 at 7:48 am

I’ve been to a million weddings in the past few years, but never a Cuban themed one! That looked really cool without being an “over the top” theme.

24 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 11, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Derek sounds like an awesome dude! I had to go see the movie with my mom (oh darn) haha.