more ยป" />

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

by Meghann on August 8, 2009

Derek is in the process of moving apartments right now, so just a warning that posting might be a little sparatic this weekend as I try to piggy back off of other people’s wireless signals. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I definitely rushed out of work yesterday with visions of wine, friends and good food in my head. In fact I rushed out of work so quickly I arrived in Tampa a good hour before my planned meeting time with Jenna and Anne P. Ooppss… Luckily they were able to rearrange their schedules to meet me at Mad Dogs and Englishmen for dinner with out too much of a fuss.

CIMG7107.JPG

Mad Dogs and Englishmen is the cutest little hole in the wall restaurant in the southside of Tampa. The best part about the place was the outdoor seating option so little Maddie could join us as well.

CIMG7106.JPG

She was definitely the hit of the evening and spent the entire meal perfectly at ease in my lap.

CIMG7111.JPG

What a little angel.

When the server came to the table to give us the menus I immediately stated we needed drinks ASAP. The server understood the urgency and promptly brought a bottle of Pinot Noir to the table.

CIMG7113.JPG

I had roughly the equivalent of 2 glasses worth. They were two very well deserved glasses.

CIMG7112.JPG

With the wine the three of us split a very tasty and comforting order of Sweet Potato Fries.

CIMG7116.JPG

For an english pub atmosphere, Mad Dog’s menu was pretty out of the norm. It was filled with great sounding dishes. Basically the traditional english fare with a hip modern day twist. What caught my eye the most was the selection of Grilled Pizzas.

CIMG7110.JPG

Jenna and I could not decided between the Spinach & Arugula and Goat Cheese Pizza so we each decided to order what the other one didn’t and split it.

CIMG7125.JPG

I ordered the Spinach & Arugula which was baby arugula and spinach tossed with black olives and apple vinegarette placed atop crispy grilled pizza, plum tomatoes and melted feta cheese and gave half to Jenna.

CIMG7127.JPG

I LOVE the salad on a pizza concept, plus the crust was so chewy.

Jenna ordered the Goat Cheese which was imported goat cheese, carmelized onions and roasted figs finished with a balsalmic reduction sauce and gave half to me.

CIMG7128.JPG

OMG! I think this was my favorite. The sweet & savory concept was to die for. I liked it alot!

The pizza was just so good that by the time I was finished all that was left was a couple measly pieces of crust. I just couldn’t stop picking at it. Yum!

The company of the evening was great too. Both Anne and Jenna are truly amazing down to earth people and sometimes its great just to have a girly get together and to discuss all things life. The three of us have so much in common that the conversation just flowed the entire evening.

After dinner I made my way back to Derek’s and we headed to his parent’s house so they could meet Madeline. While their I had a Mini Bluebell Ice Cream Cone, but had forgot my camera in the car and was too lazy to run out and get it.

This morning I slept in until 7:30 and was surprised that it wasn’t too incredibly hot to get a run in . I just ran 2 miles out and 2 miles back, but I never felt over heated or on the brink of death. ๐Ÿ™‚

I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way back and a guy came up to me in the check out line and asked if I was the girl he saw running on the street. I said Yes and he was just laughing like I was some sort of running celebrity. lol

At Wal-mart I was able to pick up a few basics to throw together a simple and delish breakfast.

CIMG7130.JPG

The star of the breakfast was the Smucker’s Natural Honey Peanut Butter.

CIMG7135.JPG

Talk about Holy Yum!!! This stuff rocked blended in with my Kashi Go Lean and 1/2 a Peach!

CIMG7134.JPG

I guess now it’s time to go wake Derek up. It’s funny that’s I’ve been up for close to three hours and have ran, been to Wal-Mart, made breakfast and wrote this post while he has been sleeping. This is exactly why I just can’t sleep in, it’s a waste of perfectly productive daylight hours. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 8, 2009 at 10:53 am

Amen! It’s the same with my hubby. He would sleep until noon if I let him! Boys…

2 Simone August 8, 2009 at 10:59 am

Honey PB…sounds like heaven!

3 MegaNerd August 8, 2009 at 11:05 am

Sounds like a fun girls night! ๐Ÿ˜€

HAHA. Jason does the same thing! I woke up early, ran, ate breakfast, showered, posted, cleaned the kitchen…. and then he wakes up.

4 Christina August 8, 2009 at 11:09 am

you guys are lucky you all live close to each other! looks like you had a nice evening! and some good eats

5 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) August 8, 2009 at 11:10 am

Oh that pizza looks awesome! The arugula pizza reminds me of one I had my first night in Italy. It was a simple pizza with crust, light sauce, light cheese , but had a HEAPING mound of arugula on top. Loved it!

6 Casey @ Double Scooped August 8, 2009 at 11:22 am

Mmmm I’ve tried PB & Co’s peanut butter with honey but have yet to try Smuckers…I may have to now ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Nicole August 8, 2009 at 11:22 am

haha! Same with my boyfriend. He sleeps a lot!

8 Courtney August 8, 2009 at 11:30 am

Here, here to girl time and embracing the morning!

9 jentrinque August 8, 2009 at 12:03 pm

It’s the same way with my boyfriend! I can get up, eat breakfast, exercise, go grocery shopping, wash dishes, do laundry, blog, and be on an early lunch by the time he wakes up! I’m just a morning person.

Maddie is still the most adorable little puppy I’ve ever seen!

10 Amy August 8, 2009 at 12:06 pm

My favorite PB of all time! Good choice ๐Ÿ™‚

The goat cheese pizza looks amazzzzzing!

11 thedallasceliac August 8, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I know the feeling. In college, I used to sleep til noon or later, but now I not only can’t sleep in as long, I don’t want to.

As I type this, I’ve been awake for 3-1/2 hours and my husband just stumbled out of bed. ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Susan August 8, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Ohmygosh, it’s the exact same thing when I stay at my boyfriend’s place. In all fairness he works a lot of night shifts and his sleep schedule is always screwed up. But I’ve usually done a million things by the time he gets out of bed! ๐Ÿ˜› Hope the move goes okay!

13 indieconquers (Run Study Eat) August 8, 2009 at 12:34 pm

MMM! I will have to get my hands on that peanut butter. Also, it’s def time for me to make some sweet tato fries!

14 Mandy A August 8, 2009 at 12:48 pm

That pizza looks amazing!!!! Glad you got in some great girl time!

And too funny about your morning… my husband would do the same thing if I’d let him!

15 Kelsey August 8, 2009 at 12:50 pm

looove smuckers natural pb! it is pretty delicious and wont break the bank either, which only adds to the awesomeness :]

16 Suzanne August 8, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I agree completely about sleeping in! I feel like I’ve wasted so much of my day when I do! This morning I got up and ran 9 miles and when I got home my boyfriend was still asleep! Amazing lol.

17 Island Girl Eats August 8, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Morning! I like to get a good night sleep. But I am the same, sleeping late is just a waste of a beautiful morning!

18 Hillary August 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm

your morning sounds like mine… my boyfriend sleeps so late and I’ve had what seems like an entire days worth of activities and he hasn’t even woken up yet! I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one.

19 jocelyneatsfresh August 8, 2009 at 2:37 pm

mmm the goatcheese pizza with figs looks amazing…
So does that smuckers honey peanut butter! Good choice!
I can’t sleep in either…my boyfriend ALWAYS does.

20 Rosey Rebecca August 8, 2009 at 4:37 pm

That’s what happens with my boyfriend too. The other day, he was coming to bed as I was getting up. haha Sounds like a great night!

p.s. I think you’re a running celebrity!

21 Melissa August 8, 2009 at 6:23 pm

love your dog, glad you had a great run

22 Whit August 8, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Amen on the early rising sista! Reading your blog has totally converted me, and now sleeping past 7 is late in my book.

23 Pam August 8, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I’m the same way getting up early!! I have to drag Garrett out of bed after I’ve already done everything I need to do for the day.

It sounds like you had a great girls night!

24 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I’m the same way girl, I have half of my to do list done before my husband gets up! And I also go to bed about three hours earlier ๐Ÿ˜‰