The Cabinet and Freezer Routes

by Meghann on August 5, 2009

I was completely stumped on what to have for lunch today.

With all of the crazy events of the past couple of days, it has completely slipped my mind to make a trip to the grocery store. My fridge is on the edge of barebones with limited fresh fruit and veggies, but my freezer and cabinet seemed to still be fairly well stocked.

For my midmorning snack I decided to go with the cabinet option and had a serving of Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Pretzels.

CIMG6997

While my lunch too the freezer route.

CIMG6998

After a little bit of digging I figured now would probably be the best time to try the frozen Kashi Meal I got for free via a Kashi promotional coupon a couple of months ago.

The Mayan Harvest Bake stood out among the other Kashi products with its promises of Kale, Sweet Potatoes and Plantains. When I originally purchased the frozen meal I was very excited to try it, but over the course of time it somehow got forgotten on the bottom of my freezer.

CIMG7000

To bulk the meal up a tad I served the Mayan Harvest Bake on a bed of Spinach with a serving of Kashi Honey Sesame Crackers.

CIMG7004

I have to say the frozen meal was pretty good. It was full of yummy flavors that blended in to a big yummy mosh on top of the spinach. If I ever had the need for another frozen meal I would most definitely purchase this again.

I really do not feel like making a trip to Publix before I head to Tampa this weekend, so my meals the remainder of the week may not be to exciting. Hopefully this will make me eat up other forgotten treasures in my freezer and cabinet. We shall see. ;)

1 caronae August 5, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I had the mayan harvest bake last week and LOVED it! I also like the kashi black bean mango…

2 Lizzie August 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I also ate that same meal last week—and bulked it up with spinach. I don’t really eat frozen meals (I purchased mine with the coupon too) but I must say I really enjoyed this meal!

3 lowandbhold August 5, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I love discovering forgotten treasures and being really creative when I’m low on groceries. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

4 brandi August 5, 2009 at 1:55 pm

i love finding fun stuff in my freezer! my husband tried that meal and really liked it, too.

5 Rachel August 5, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Bulking up frozen meals is something I never did until I saw it on the blogworld! And that looks like a cool one – I never buy Kashi meals unless they’re on mega-sale, but I’ll keep my eye out.

6 Danielle August 5, 2009 at 1:59 pm

For a boring frozen meal… that is quite the colorful lunch :) it looks delicious, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

7 Amanda August 5, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I often think that most frozen meals just need a little bulking up and some pretty presentation (and maybe some seasoning) and they aren’t half bad!

8 Amelia August 5, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Lunch looks great. Altho now you’ve got me craving the TJ’s PB pretzels. I blame you for getting me hooked on those! ;)

9 Katie August 5, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I love the new Kashi frozen meals – they’ve got a good selection of vegan options (including the Mayan bake).

My usual “go to” when my kitchen is bare involves frozen edamame and a smoothie. I’ve always got frozen fruit, ice, some sort of liquid and protein powder…Ok, not much of a meal, but it works in a pinch.

10 Rosey Rebecca August 5, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I love Kashi meals!! Have a great day!

11 Suzanne August 5, 2009 at 2:19 pm

That’s my favorite Kashi meal! I might go pick some up tonight now… :)

12 Katie August 5, 2009 at 2:22 pm

The Mayan Harvest Bake is awesome!

13 nutritionbyeve August 5, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I had that meal not too long ago, and enjoyed it as well. Sometimes it’s good to be forced to go through your freezer & pantry otherwise you do tend to forget about things!

14 Beth @ CrossBorderCravings August 5, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I am always hesitant to try out frozen dinners but I have to agree Kashi makes a good one. I have only tried one before but the Mayan flavor looks yummy! Perhaps I’ll give it a try next time I’m in need of something quick.

15 Lizzy August 5, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Looks pretty good! i’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ve never tried a Kashi frozen meal, but i love anything from Kashi so maybe i’ll try it! thanks! :) hope your feelin better :)

16 Pam August 5, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Kashi frozen meals are the only ones I eat. They are definitely good in a pinch!

17 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 5, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I have not tried that one yet but my mom keeps raving about it! I try to keep my frozen meals to a minimum, Kashi being the only one I really buy and just every once in a while for the convenience ;-) I need to try that one!

18 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 5, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Those pretzels always make me jealous!

19 Natalie M. August 5, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Ahhhhh I’ve been dying to try this and I haven’t seen it at my local whole foods.. I think this means I have to hunt for it around the city. Glad you enjoyed it! If you get a chance and you want to stock up on more Kashi frozen meals try the Tuscan Veggie Bake.. its yummalicious! :D

20 RunToFinish August 5, 2009 at 3:05 pm

my meals have been so sad this week, trying not to stock anything before I leave!!

21 Andee (Runtolive) August 5, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I find I always come up with my most creative dishes when I have no food left in the house. I just made a yummy tuna melt with a can of tuna mixed with curry powder and a slice of cheese broiled in the oven

22 Tay August 5, 2009 at 5:01 pm

That is by far my favorite frozen meal. Sooo good. I love how it’s slightly sweet :-)

23 Amandaa August 5, 2009 at 5:20 pm

i wish i had a publix near me. it sounds so
lovely.

that kashi meal looks divine!

24 Coco August 5, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I gotta get some of the peanut butter filled pretzels! You always eat them and they look so damn good!!!!
I’ve always been nervous to try those kashi frozen meals, but they actually kinda sound good. They seem like a nutritious option when you don’t have time or are too lazy to cook. I’ll have to try them out!

25 Rebeca August 5, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I’ve tried some of their frozen meals and thought the portion was too small but that’s a great idea to serve it over spinach… I’ll have to try that. I have “eat out the pantry/freezer” weeks every couple of weeks and end up realizing I have way more food than I thought and get excited to create within my limitations!

26 Erika August 5, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Hey Meghann,

I’ve been reading your blog for a while but never really comment…and I just wanted to say good luck with Maddie…she looks absolutely adorable and I wish you the best of times with her!!

27 foodnfit August 5, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Wow that looks really good, I might pick one of those up! I’m craving those pretzels right now!

28 Simone August 5, 2009 at 7:45 pm

That sounds really yummy!! I really love the idea behind frozen meals, but often find that they are just way too high in sodium for me. Amy’s makes some low sodium options, but they all just taste too sweet for some reason when they should have a saltier and herbier (is that a word?!) taste. Wouldn’t it just make sense to add less sugar so the saltiness can shine through?? Who knows. Glad the meal filled you up though!

29 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 5, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I really liked the Mayan Bake! I like how you bulked it up, too!

30 loreejo August 5, 2009 at 9:07 pm

okay, so I’m having puppy withdrawals! :) you still made a nice meal out of what was avail. good job

31 Susie August 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm