Madeline

by Meghann on August 4, 2009

My new friend has a name!

Blog world I would like you to meet little Madeline – Maddy for short.

CIMG7912

Madeline this is the blog world. :)

Madeline is a lady through and through. She is very prim and proper and deserved a girly name that fit her personality. This little girl is all about the pink and sparkles. ;)

The first night with the puppy went very well. She was a little unsure of what to make of her new place, but is starting to become more comfortable in her new surroundings. I can already tell she’s an explorer.

Since her crate is currently at my parent’s house, Caitlin graciously offered (begged?) to watch little Maddy while I worked today. I dropped her off on my way in and was happy to see her instant bond with James and Maggie.

Making the pit stop left me no time to eat breakfast at home, so I packed up some cereal to eat at my desk when I made it to work.

CIMG6938

I made a mix of 1/2 cup Cinnamon Puffins, 1/2 cup Missy’s Mix 1, !/4 cup Good Run Granola, Strawberries, Blueberries and Plain Oikos Yogurt.

CIMG6940

I think this was the first time since I started this job a year a go that I have ate breakfast at my desk. I guess there’s a first time for everything.

I want to thank everyone again for their support in my time of need. I am still slowly healing, but it helps knowing all of you are out there if I ever need a shoulder to lean on.

When Rover passed away back in November of 2002 my Mom was in the Dominican Republic on one of her Mission Trips. Before she returned from the trip my Dad had already brought Scooby in to our lives. Scooby brought life back into our grieving household and 7 years later he is still a loving member of our family.

When Abbie passed I knew there was no way I could replace her, but my apartment felt so empty and my heart felt as if it still had so much more love to give. The only thing that made me happy was researching new puppies. I knew the time was right to adopt another companion.

Madeline spoke to me when I first saw her and I knew Abbie would have loved her instantly just as I did. She was always begging for a little sister and now she has one.  Somewhere Abbie is smiling down at us. :)

CIMG7901

1 Dori August 4, 2009 at 9:07 am

Love Madeline! She looks like such a sweet little girl. I want a pup so badly!

2 Amanda August 4, 2009 at 9:08 am

Absolutely perfect! I didn’t suggest that name bc I want to name my future HUMAN daughter Madeline hahha. Congrats Meghann, on your new family member.

3 caitlin August 4, 2009 at 9:08 am

im going to steal her!!!!!!!!!!!

4 jessica August 4, 2009 at 9:11 am

awww that is the perfect name!! What a cutie!

5 Island Girl Eats August 4, 2009 at 9:13 am

She is lovely. But she will always be Bella to me!!!

6 leslie August 4, 2009 at 9:14 am

congratulations! she is beautiful~

7 Madelin August 4, 2009 at 9:15 am

That is my name!!! Love it!!! She is so cute :)

8 Holly August 4, 2009 at 9:16 am

She is just adorable!! I love her name, too. And you are right – Abbie is surely smiling down on you both. :-)

9 Katie August 4, 2009 at 9:17 am

I know how you feel! When my cat, Charlotte passed away I was devastated but once I got Baby (new cat), I really could start to heal. Now I have a hubby, Baby and Red (another cat) and our family is complete!

10 jeannie962 August 4, 2009 at 9:18 am

First — I’m so sorry to hear about Abbie. It literally brought me to tears reading about it. But I’m so glad you’ve got little Maddy now! She is precious and beautiful and will be much work as a puppy but totally worth it of course. And good choice in names… my dog’s name is Madison, Maddie for short. She’s a lucky pup!!!

11 diana August 4, 2009 at 9:18 am

Your new little girls is so very cute. I am glad she has found someone who will take care of her well. Best wishes.

12 Whit August 4, 2009 at 9:19 am

Maddy is perfect! She is soooo cute!

13 Justy2003 August 4, 2009 at 9:19 am

Maddy is adorable! While I’m sure she can’t replace Abby, hopefully she’ll help you grieve through this time and I’m sure you two will become best friends! :)

14 Janie August 4, 2009 at 9:19 am

She is precious! I know exactly what you mean about feeling empty in your home by yourself. Maddy will be the perfect addition:)

15 misslabella August 4, 2009 at 9:25 am

Maddy is so cute! Wish, I could have such a puppy, too. But my hubby doesn`t want.

16 Erin August 4, 2009 at 9:25 am

Maddy is absolutely adorable — welcome to Blogland, Maddy! :)

17 Pam August 4, 2009 at 9:26 am

She is so adorable! She is one lucky puppy to be adopted by you!

18 runeatrepeat August 4, 2009 at 9:26 am

Adorable :)

19 Ally August 4, 2009 at 9:31 am

I am so glad you found a sweet little puppy!!! When my Hanna died I lasted a week before we brought home another little lady–it’s just so hard when there’s no one there waiting for you. She is so cute and I know she’ll never replace Abbie, but, she’ll fill a space in your heart. She’s so cute!!!

20 Holly August 4, 2009 at 9:37 am
21 Deva August 4, 2009 at 9:39 am

I have a soft spot for the name Maddy.

22 Mica August 4, 2009 at 9:40 am

She’s quite the cutie!

23 mrsalley August 4, 2009 at 9:42 am

Such a cute girl! Love the name. My Russel has a very similar face!

24 Quinn August 4, 2009 at 9:42 am

A perfect name! She is too cute for words.

25 lowandbhold August 4, 2009 at 9:42 am

Aw she is so adorable! And I love the name! I’m so happy that you’ve got a new puppy to love and cherish and I know Abbie is so happy. Congrats!

26 jentrinque August 4, 2009 at 9:46 am

SOOOO adorable! Love it!

27 Niki August 4, 2009 at 9:49 am

I love that name!! She definitely looks like a girl girl:) So glad she is there to help you through this hard time! Looking forward to hearing about all your adventures with little Maddy! Makes me want to get another puppy!!

28 Lauren August 4, 2009 at 9:50 am

Maddy is a great name!

29 nutritionbyeve August 4, 2009 at 9:51 am

omg, she is absolutely adorable!!! that was so nice of caitlin to take her for the day, she is clearly in good hands.

30 Katie August 4, 2009 at 9:51 am

Oh! Madeline is a doll! So cute and tiny! I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind talking about how you chose the breeder and how important it was to go and actually see the puppies in their home environment. I do a lot of work with organizations in MN to stop puppy mills and am always trying to educate people on how important it is to research responsible breeders or adopt from a shelter.

Congrats on your new baby, based on what a great home Abbie had, I know that Madeline will be pampered!!!

31 Becci August 4, 2009 at 9:53 am

What a beautiful puppy! I know she will be a great comfort to you (but never a replacement for Abbie) and you will give her all the love in the world. Congrats on being a new fur-mommy!!

32 Kim August 4, 2009 at 9:58 am

Welcome, Madeline!!! And what a completely perfect name for her!

33 tami August 4, 2009 at 9:59 am

My children love the Madeline series of books! best wishes with your new pup, it’s nice to see your smiling face in that picture

34 Luna August 4, 2009 at 10:00 am

absolutely adorable and the name fits her so much…love the 1st pic, pinky pinky nails and collar :)

35 Debbra August 4, 2009 at 10:04 am

So cute!! Congrats on your new fur baby. The two of your will have many great adventures together.

36 Caroline August 4, 2009 at 10:05 am

Oh my! Maddy is such a cutie. I remember when we first got our JRT (15 years ago!), he was so small, we couldn’t see him through the grass!
I’m asking for a female JRT for graduation this year–I hope she’s half as cute as Miss Madeline:)

37 Gina August 4, 2009 at 10:05 am

She is so adorable! And it’s good to see that you’re smiling again, and I’m sure Abbie is smiling with you. Maddy is perfect, very girly :-)

38 Sam August 4, 2009 at 10:08 am

great name for the new puppy…. but you are personifying your DOG.
Abbie couldn’t speak and neither can Maddy!

39 caitlin August 4, 2009 at 10:15 am

you are so smart.

40 Sara August 4, 2009 at 6:30 pm

hey caitlin, was that sarcasm?
maybe meghann “knows” what Maddy and Abbie were saying but i really doubt some things…. like did Abbie really love being on the blog? did she even know what the blog was?!

just sayin’….

41 Jess August 4, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Don’t people have better things to do?! Pets become part of families just like people do. Meghann just lost a loved one give the girl a break.

42 Andee (Runtolive) August 4, 2009 at 10:08 am

She is adorable! Maddy is the perfect name :)

43 brandi August 4, 2009 at 10:09 am

Madeline is precious! We did the same thing after putting our last schnauzer down from cancer – our family didn’t last one week. It was just so lonely in the house and there are more animals out there that need good homes. I’m SO glad you found a puppy and one that Abbie would have been friends with :) She’d be happy for you for sure

44 Anne P August 4, 2009 at 10:10 am

Aw I am so happy to see you have a new little friend :) And an adorable one, at that! Can’t wait to read all about her adventures :)

45 Amelia August 4, 2009 at 10:13 am

What a great name! It fits! She’s adorable and I’m glad to hear she’s settling in well! :)

46 Therese August 4, 2009 at 10:14 am

Maddy is the perfect name for that little face!! It’s nice to see you smiling. I wrote a little post today in reference to your loss…

47 trinichiqn August 4, 2009 at 10:14 am

It is hard not to have a pet after having one for a long time. My dog Treasure died a little over a year ago, although we had other dogs it was hard not having one that was especially happy to see me. I now have Maxine who gets an extra wiggle when she hears my voice.

I love those rubbermaid bowls. I have practically the whole range and I recently learned that they are BPA free.

48 Andrea August 4, 2009 at 10:15 am

I am so happy that you got a new friend, she is cute!

49 Shannon (The Daily Balance) August 4, 2009 at 10:19 am

Madeline is so precious! can’t wait to see all the adventures the two of you have together ;)

50 Amanda August 4, 2009 at 10:20 am

Perfect name for her!

51 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) August 4, 2009 at 10:20 am

She is so precious!!! Can I come over and play with her?? :)

52 Sara August 4, 2009 at 10:22 am

LOVE the name! It’s just perfect. Oh, she’s so cute.

53 orangechic August 4, 2009 at 10:23 am

Congrats on bringing Madeline home, she is a beautiful dog and I am sure she will bring you a lot of happiness!

54 Allison August 4, 2009 at 10:25 am

OH Madeline – I love you already!

55 Courtney August 4, 2009 at 10:27 am

Sooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!! =D

56 Danielle C. August 4, 2009 at 10:27 am

Madeline is the perfect name. :)

57 VeggieGirl August 4, 2009 at 10:29 am

PRECIOUS!!

58 Sammie August 4, 2009 at 10:33 am

Meghann she is gorgeous. I am so happy that you got another companion. You two beauties are a perfect pair. I am looking forward to seeing more of her on the blog.

59 Mandy A August 4, 2009 at 10:44 am

Meghann, she is just too cute for words!!

I have to say I’m partial to the name… That’s what i named my daughter ;) Good choice!

60 Dotsie August 4, 2009 at 10:46 am

Maddy is absolutely adorable! I’m so glad you adopted her. (and I love your blog!)

Take care!

61 Erica August 4, 2009 at 10:47 am

Perfect name! Keep the adorable pictures coming

62 ~carolyn~ August 4, 2009 at 10:49 am

You did good!

I know this is a bittersweet time, but I think you have been brought together with Maddy for a reason.

I am excited for you and a little envious that I dont have that sweet little face to greet me when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks so much for sharing all of this with your blog readers. I have read your blog every day for the last 9 months and even though you have no idea who I am, I feel like I know you and I cried for you and now I am smiling for you.

Enjoy you new little precious!!!

63 Jess August 4, 2009 at 10:58 am

I never thought I’d say this, but you almost make me want a puppy. The kind of love you show for them is truly admirable.

64 Megan August 4, 2009 at 11:16 am

She is adorable! Enjoy her!

65 greenbean August 4, 2009 at 11:16 am

Hi Maddy!!!

I am SOOO happy to see you smiling again, Meghann. Man, I never met ya but I feel like I’ve been going through all this with you.

Enjoy sharing your home with you sweet girl. I’m so happy for you right now.

66 Jenna August 4, 2009 at 11:19 am

meghann i am so glad you got a new pup so quick! i love the name madeline for her, so cutee ;)

jenna

67 Jennifer August 4, 2009 at 11:20 am

Aww Maddy is a cutie! Glad you were able to find a new companion, though it won’t ever replace Abbie I do hope it will help ease the pain.

68 tiponz August 4, 2009 at 11:23 am

congrats!!

69 suzanne August 4, 2009 at 11:27 am

She is adorable. Can’t wait to see her as she grows :)

70 Matt August 4, 2009 at 11:32 am

Cute new puppy!

71 Carly August 4, 2009 at 11:44 am

LOVE her!! Congratulations!

72 Robin August 4, 2009 at 11:57 am

She is so sweet! Have fun with her. You will be surprised at how well she will make you heal.

73 Gloria August 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Oh my gosh Madeline is beautiful!!

74 Erin August 4, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Madeline is so precious!

75 Angela August 4, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl, she is precious and the name suits her to a “T”. I hope she helps heal your broken heart. As a single person living alone with a pet and having similar experiences, I can tell you that the loss of a pet is often the very hardest.

I don’t want to be a critical, especially since you are going through such a difficult time, but I hope I can offer some constructive advice. I have noticed you are using the word “adopt” in reference to sweet Maddie and while you are no doubt going to give her a wonderful home, adopting a dog in need from a rescue or a shelter and buying a puppy from a breeder are two extremely different things. It may just seem nitpicky and like a difference in semantics, but a huge amount of impressionable women, both old and young, read your blog and are influenced by you and what you do, so as silly as it sounds, the words do matter.

76 Caitlin August 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm

*Groan*
Give the girl a break! Not a good time for a soap box.

77 Kelly August 4, 2009 at 2:55 pm

You are completely right…it is just “nitpicky and like a difference in semantics”. Thanks for your input though I’m sure we could have never lived without it.

78 Janet August 4, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I have to agree with Angela. While I think it is wonderful that you are bringing a new dog into your life, it is important to distinguish between adoption and buying from a breeder. Buying a dog from a reptuable breeder is fine if that is the route you would like to take, but it is not adoption. Some may say it is semantics, but those of us who work with rescue organizations see “adopt” and “get from a breeder” as two very different things.

79 Alyssa August 4, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Would you have rather Meghann not a get a dog at all? You don’t want to be critical, and yet you are. There are millions of homeless dogs out there or are in shelters, and they come BOTH from people who abandon them/etc AND from those who are not bought from a breeder.

80 Angela August 4, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Caitlin-Wow, I guess I’ll be removing Healthy Tipping Point from my list of favorite blogs. As someone who presents themselves as a person who is open to criticism and seems to consider themselves an educator, I’m surprised at your reaction to what I thought was a well worded piece of constructive advice…like it or not, adoption and buying a puppy are not the same thing and while I don’t begrudge anyone the love of a dog, acquired by either of those means, words matter. As someone who is putting post its up all around town telling women they are beautiful I would think you would understand that.

Meghann-I apologize if I hurt your feelings, that was most definitely not my intent. I love reading your blog and I have recommended it to so many people (along with Caitlin’s which unfortunately I now regret) and would never want to upset you during a time which I know is heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you and my heart was in the right place, even if it didn’t come out that way.

81 caitlin August 4, 2009 at 4:04 pm

um angela… that wasnt me. there are other caitlin’s in this world.

82 MegaNerd August 4, 2009 at 4:18 pm

LOL

83 Caitlin from MD August 4, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Yes, this is another Caitlin but holy COW that was some kind of blog-rage. Sorry to the “real” Caitlin for tarnishing our good name!

84 caitlin August 4, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Caitlin in MD -

You are the real Caitlin, too. :)

Caitlins unite!!

85 Angela August 4, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Caitlin-My mistake, but in your snarky replies, you justified my response, no less.

Caitlin in MD-Not “blog rage”, just a well thought out response to the attack on my comments.

Janet-Thank you for getting my point and for the support. I had no idea I’d unleash the wrath of the “Mean Girls” of the blog world, but you live and learn. It has opened my eyes though to what is clearly all talk. Good luck.

86 caitlin August 4, 2009 at 4:54 pm

angela – i really don’t why im replying to you because you are going to misconstrue whatever i say… but its worth a shot.

my comment was not “snarky”. it was a response to you slandering (albeit mistakenly) my good blog name when the “caitlin” in question didn’t even hyperlink to my blog! i think i was well within my right to be a little upset that you had the nerve to come down on ME so harshly because some other caitlin had a comment that disagreed with what you said.

you have to understand that bloggers are constantely facing undue criticism (much much worse and nasty than your remarks, which i agree were well spoken. i dont necessarily agree with your comments, though). we get comments that we literally have to delete they are so nasty.

so when you come down on me and slander my reputation for something that i didn’t even SAY, you bet i’m going to respond. i think i was well within my right to say what i said.

sorry if i lost a reader but this is all the truth. if you can dish it out, you can take it.

87 Janet August 4, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Wow…this has gotten out of hand. Without attacking anyone, I was just saying that getting a dog from a reputable breeder is one thing and adoption is another. They are both personal, acceptable choices, but they are not the same.

88 Angela August 4, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I so regret ever posting in the first place, I usually only read.

Caitlin-I apologize for my original remarks directed your way. It was an honest mistake on my part and could have been cleared up with a simple “It wasn’t me”. Good luck with your blog and Operation Beautiful.

89 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health August 4, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Wow.. normally I wouldn’t reply to this such thing, but as I recall Meghann said she “adopted” her from a breeder. Any dog you get you are adopting because human’s do not birth dogs. Duh! It isn’t like Meghann didn’t state where she got her. I am all for getting dogs from shelters, but I didn’t get my two from one. Every dog needs a home no matter where they come from. Maddie (Maddy?) is perfect for her and she makes her happy so that is all that matters. It really isn’t the time to judge after losing a loved one.

90 Derek August 4, 2009 at 8:35 pm

After scrolling and scrolling and then getting to the end of this thread, I think it can be longer so I’m here to post. It’s like 1990′s aol chat room meets 21st century blogworld. So I have a comment and a question.

1. Angela – My humble, personal opinion…..you seem to take yourself and things a bit too seriously.
2. Caitlin – Did you really groan out loud? =()

91 chocolatepickle August 4, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Aw your new pup is so cute! L.O.V.E. your blog, by the way-and maybe I’m just jealous that you live in warmth and I live in the cold midwest!! Just started up a blog of my one……www.chocolatepickle.wordpress.com. It’ll be up and running soon so I hope you will check it out!

92 She-Fit August 4, 2009 at 12:38 pm

awh, I love madeline. She is way too cute!

93 Menden August 4, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Oh what a sweet precious little pup! Maddy is too cute for words…I’m sure she’ll be well loved! :)

94 Chocolate Shoestrings August 4, 2009 at 12:52 pm

awwwwwwwwwwww. Hi Maddy! Nice to meet you :) You are such a precious little gem

95 Mandee August 4, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Madeline is one of my all time favorite names. You have great taste, Meghann! She’s absolutely adorable and looks like she would be a great candidate to share some of that love that you have overflowing in your heart. Dogs can be great for healing out hearts. I know that you have experienced this in your life from reading about how you met Abbey and also about your other dog Scooby. I wish you nothing but the best and the same to your new furry family member! Can’t wait to see what fun you guys get into now! :]

96 Nina August 4, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Meghann, she’s so perfect! I’m glad you’re healing, and I would have done the same thing.

97 JB August 4, 2009 at 1:21 pm

abbie is up in doggy heaven, happy for you that you found adorable maddy! i have a dog up in doggie heaven too. i know what it feels like to lose a pet you love so much. i grew up with an amazing labrador who passed away when i was 13. i could cry right now just thinking about him. i’m really glad for you that you have a new puppy companion. she’s sooooo cute.

-JB

98 Evan Thomas August 4, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Madeline looks like a great new friend :-)

99 Tammy Eros August 4, 2009 at 1:29 pm

For some reason, all my pets end up with human names too! When my beloved kitten, Chloe, passed away in 2000, I put her “things” away, because I couldn’t stand to see them, with her gone. The “foster mom” I adopted her from immediately suggested another kitten and I was very opposed. I just didn’t want to risk the hurt of losing another pet. Then, I started thinking…well, if I get one, she will be lonely…Needless to say, I got 2 a few days later and Shelby and Abigail continue to be a joy! I hope Maddie will ease your loss and create some new, fun memories of her own!

100 Rebeca August 4, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Omg… Madeline is the perfect name for her!

Where in the DR was your mom? My parents used to be missionaries there when I was a really young… so we know a ton of the people there. That’s so cool!

101 Laura August 4, 2009 at 1:50 pm

She is so cutie!! Love her name!!

102 Sheri August 4, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Omg…Madeline is such a precious little girl! I am glad that you are healing and have a wonderful little pup to love to bits! :)

103 Casey August 4, 2009 at 2:21 pm

She is adorable! I’m sure she will fill your heart and life with joy. So sorry to hear about little Abbie.

104 Aggie August 4, 2009 at 2:38 pm

I’m catching up…

So sorry to hear about your sweet pup Abbie…heartbreaking to lose a pet. But your new friend is adorable….you are an animal lover and Madeline is lucky to have you as a mom!!

105 *Groan* *Eye Roll* August 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Jeez Angela, shut your pie hole!

106 Natalie M. August 4, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Meghann,

I’m a bit behind on reading posts since I’ve had limited computer access over the past week but I just want to say I’m extremely sorry for your loss… Madeline is beautiful! I wish you all the best :)

107 Kelly August 4, 2009 at 3:01 pm

For some of you have commented in a negative tone I would like to let you know that right now I am staring into the beautiful happy eyes of my family boxer, Scooby. As Meghann mentioned before we adopted him shortly after the passing of our boxer Rover. Scooby was never a replacement of Rover but he did help our broken hearts mend. 7 years later we love him more than anything but Rover will always hold a special place in our hearts.

108 Melissa S. August 4, 2009 at 3:13 pm

ahhhhhh….I wanna babysit her!!!!!!!!

109 ttfn300 August 4, 2009 at 3:16 pm

madeline is a great name :)

110 Rosey Rebecca August 4, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Aww the name is perfect!! When my beagle died a a year and half ago, I knew I’d get another Beagle eventually! I plan to when I move to a pet friendly apartment! :-)

111 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 4, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Welcome Maddy! She is a cutie :)

112 Juicy Jessy August 4, 2009 at 3:34 pm

she is just TOOO CUTE!!! :-)

113 Beth @ CrossBorderCravings August 4, 2009 at 4:28 pm

The new puppy is gorgeous!!

114 Sweet and Fit August 4, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Maddy is so cute!

I am so behind in my google reader, and I just got the news – I am sooooo sorry Meghann! I can’t imagine what you must have went through.

can’t wait for more pics of this cutie!

115 Jess August 4, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Awww, she is too cute. I hope to meet her soon. We should try and plan a doggie day next time I come to Orlando, that would be a blast!

Hang in there as you still greive for Abbie, but I’m glad you have a new someone to love on!

116 Meghann's Mom August 4, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Just wanted to give a little of my thoughts. Yesterday her Dad called me on the way home from work and asked me If I wanted to go to Ocala to find a new friend for Meghann. Now Madeline is by no means a replacement for Abbie, she is her new friend. Meghann is a stong, loving woman and we felt she needed to have someone to love, to keep her company, and someone to love her back. Yes I know it hasn’t been that long since we lost our Abbie. She was a big part of our family as Madeline will be. Yet with this loss her Dad and I could see and feel that big hole in her heart and wanted to help her heal.
Now the about the adoption. Madeline was “adopted” from a breeder. To me there is no differenence. I understand there are many lovable dogs waiting in shelters and I encourage dog lovers to see that as an option. To me when a dog is “adopted” whether from a breeder or a shelter, she is joining a family.
From the dictionary:
a·dopt·ed, a·dopt·ing, a·dopts

To take into one’s family through legal means and raise as one’s own child.
So to you my precious Meghann, enjoy your new addition, love her to honor Abbie.
With big hugs
Mom

117 Derek August 4, 2009 at 8:39 pm

well said

118 Elisabeth August 4, 2009 at 10:09 pm

You have the best Mom, Meghann!

119 karla August 4, 2009 at 5:34 pm

she is adorable!

120 Simone August 4, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Abbie is definitely smiling down on You and Maddy! :)

121 Nicole C. August 4, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Meghann, I’m so happy for you! You have such a big heart and are so giving – it made sense for your to share your love with someone who needs a good home. Abbie would be so proud of you. She loves you and will always be your guardian angel!

122 papayafish August 4, 2009 at 6:24 pm

what an adorable little peach! So beautiful, Meghann! Good luck with your new best friend : )

123 Susan August 4, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Cute pic of you two girls at the end ;) I totally understand why you decided to get another dog right away. From the sounds of it, you’re in the perfect situation for a new pet, and I know you’ll be a great momma to her!!! Can’t wait to see all your new adventures together :)

124 Bec August 4, 2009 at 7:33 pm

aww love the name :) I am sure Abbie would have loved her too!

125 Jess August 4, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I’m so happy for you Meghann. I’m so glad this little girl can bring you happiness during a time that you need it most. I can’t wait to see more of her on the blog!

126 Hangry Pants August 4, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Intense!

Meghann, Your new puppy is a pretty girl and I love her pink collar. I hope she keeps you company and gives you lots of licks. :D

127 Lindsay Lu August 4, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Meghann! She is soooooooo cute! I love her!

128 M August 4, 2009 at 8:27 pm

i love Maddy, and I really, really love your mom. (And I thought Angela’s comment was very eloquent, too.)

When I recently lost a pet, I wanted to adopt immediately because I was so devastated about not having my little friend. I ended up waiting about two months — we all grieve differently, and i needed a little bit of time to actually go through with the adoption — and while i adore my new pet, i still, many months later, cry for and grieve over my lost pet. They are not mutually exclusive; you can adopt a new girl and still love and cherish your lost girl. In the end, i came to the same realization as you — i had so much to give, and i knew that my little guy would have wanted me to rescue a new pet (especially since i ended up with a very adorable little girl!).

129 Aimee August 4, 2009 at 8:28 pm

So sweet!

130 k August 4, 2009 at 8:37 pm

you should enter maddie into this contest! http://www.cutestdogcompetition.com/index.cfm

131 Andrea [bella eats] August 4, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Meghann – Maddie is perfect. What a sweet, sweet girl. I love the pink collar and her cute girly face. Congratulations!

132 steph August 4, 2009 at 8:47 pm

what an adorable face!!! she is lucky to have you

133 KatieF August 4, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Maddie is beautiful! What a sweet little thing!

134 Laura August 4, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Adorable! I’m glad to see you have another puppy to keep you company. I couldn’t imagine not having a pet.

135 Meredith August 4, 2009 at 8:57 pm

She’s adorable!

136 Lisa August 4, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Meghann, I am sooo happy for you! Maddie is so adorable and it’s great to see you smiling. We’ll always remember Abbie and I can’t wait to see more cute pics of Maddie :)

137 Laura August 4, 2009 at 9:38 pm

What a sweetie!

138 Diana August 4, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Meghann, I read your blog all the time, and it was very apparent how important Abbie was to you. I admire your strength, and Maddie is so cute. She makes me wish i lived on a “pet friendly” floor in my building. :)

139 katie August 4, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Maddie is so adorable. When I got my puppy, I bought her from a store. I didn’t know about puppy mills and don’t plan on doing that again, but did my dog need love any less than a shelter dog? No! All dogs need love and I don’t regret getting her for one second. I just regret crossing the paths of other dog owners who reprimand me for using a pet store. I plan to adopt my next dog after what I have learned, but that doesn’t discount that my dog needed her own version of “saving.” Yes, I paid for her and I fed into a bad system. But I also don’t buy local and organic food all the time and can’t spend forever beating myself up about not always supporting the best, most honorable agriculture and sometimes shopping at a big chain supermarket for chain brands. I just do the best I can for my dog, my community, and myself, as I know you are doing Meghann.

I hope you and the pup have a good first night together! My pup cried all night on our first night, I got no sleep! But I love her anyway :)

140 caitlin August 5, 2009 at 7:51 am

here ye, here ye!

141 Helena August 5, 2009 at 7:43 am

Aww she is so adorable! I gotta admit I ended up looking up dogs for adoption yesterday at work as a result lol. Can’t wait until I get a place where I can keep a dog. :)

142 Veronica August 5, 2009 at 7:52 am

She is so freaking cute, makes me wanna run out and adopt another dog!!

143 Kristin August 5, 2009 at 9:55 am

“Boy, that escalated quickly… I mean, that really got out of hand fast.”

The new puppy is so adorable and I wish you two the best of luck :)

144 marcela August 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm

love the anchor man reference Kristin!
M- you have such good taste in puppies :)
Caitlin from the tipping point- I am even more of a devoted reader now!

145 healthy ashley August 6, 2009 at 8:26 am

She is beyond adorable! I can’t wait to meet her!!

146 Leana August 6, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I was so sorry to hear about Abbie. She was such an adorable pup. Madeline looks so sweet and I’m sure she will definitely help you to heal. She’s a lucky doggie!!

147 Alex August 7, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Wow.

I understand that bloggers get a lot of flak – and some of it unnecessarily, I’m sure – but I don’t think that creates the right to attack someone for what was otherwise a well-worded and constructive comment. Because really, then you’re just doing the same thing that you get mad at commenters for doing.