Food & Puppy

by Meghann on August 4, 2009

Wow the past few days have been soooo emotionally draining, it’s hard to believe I have anything left in me. I know I’m suppose to just take it ‘one day at a time’ but if we can skip ahead a few I would not mind at all.

At least now I have this smiling little face to look to for comfort.

CIMG6957.JPG

She really is a complete sweetheart.

Through out the day, Caitlin kept providing up to the minute updates on Maddie’s first day and I was happy to hear she was adjusting well to an apartment environment. I just hope she handles staying in my place by herself tomorrow as well as she did staying with Caitlin today.

I had a few errands to run during my lunch break today, so I enjoyed my second meal of the day at my desk just as I had my first.

CIMG6942.JPG

This morning I quickly through together an Almond Butter, Carrot, Spinach and Craisin Wrap.

CIMG6945.JPG

This is one of my favorite combos and is always a great go to wrap when my creativity is faltering.

With the wrap I had a tiny Apple

CIMG6944.JPG

And some Cheddar Pop Chips.

CIMG6948.JPG

I really liked the cheddar flavor, they were very cheesey!

I could hardly wait to break into my snack this afternoon.

CIMG6949.JPG

I have seen these Heart Thrive cookies on other blogs before, so when I discovered them at the Tampa Health Store the other weekend I knew I had to try one.

CIMG6953.JPG

The heart shaped cookie was very thick and dense. I was afraid of the lemon poppy flavor being too intense, but it was perfect. It tasted just like a yummy lemon poppyseed muffin. I can’t wait to enjoy the other cookie tomorrow. 🙂

I practically ran out of work today to go see my new puppy. I had big plans for Maddie and I to shop til we dropped at PetSmart.

Maddie dropped much faster then I thought she would.

CIMG6982.JPG

How cute is that pink sweater I put her in?

The whole time if Maddie wasn’t in my arms, she was glued to my feet. Poor baby was just so scared.

CIMG6981.JPG

When we got home Maddie had her dinner….

CIMG6977.JPG

And I had mine. 🙂

CIMG6960.JPG

It was a wonderful Tempeh Taco Salad.

CIMG6964.JPG

On the stove top I heated up some Tempeh with taco seasoning, onion and Jalapenos. I then topped a bed of spinach with the tempeh mix, tomato, guacamole, salsa, and shredded corn tortillas.

CIMG6965.JPG

Yum!! I LOVED the tempeh in the taco seasoning and the addition of the jalapeno gave it a great spice.

Dessert was a Deep Chocolate VitaTop with Vanilla Ice Cream.

CIMG6970.JPG

I was planning on staying out of the battle that went down in my comments section earlier today, but my Mom – who has never commented before – wrote something that made me teary eyed.

Just wanted to give a little of my thoughts. Yesterday her Dad called me on the way home from work and asked me If I wanted to go to Ocala to find a new friend for Meghann. Now Madeline is by no means a replacement for Abbie, she is her new friend. Meghann is a stong, loving woman and we felt she needed to have someone to love, to keep her company, and someone to love her back. Yes I know it hasn’t been that long since we lost our Abbie. She was a big part of our family as Madeline will be. Yet with this loss her Dad and I could see and feel that big hole in her heart and wanted to help her heal.
Now the about the adoption. Madeline was “adopted” from a breeder. To me there is no differenence. I understand there are many lovable dogs waiting in shelters and I encourage dog lovers to see that as an option. To me when a dog is “adopted” whether from a breeder or a shelter, she is joining a family.
From the dictionary:
a·dopt·ed, a·dopt·ing, a·dopts

To take into one’s family through legal means and raise as one’s own child.
So to you my precious Meghann, enjoy your new addition, love her to honor Abbie.
With big hugs
Mom

I love my Mommy.

1 Allie Katie August 4, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Oh gosh that was so sweet of your mom! I’m glad that Maddie has found such a loving home with you! Have a great night with the little girl!

2 MegaNerd August 4, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I’m so happy that you have a new puppy to love! Your mom made a very good point about the new puppy not replacing Abbie. You deserve to be happy and I know that Abbie will always have a special place in your heart!

😀 Megan

3 amanda August 4, 2009 at 9:48 pm

yay! the puppy is SO cute. everyone does not HAVE to get an animal from the shelter, some people have certain breeds they like, my family liked shelties so we got one from a breeder, there is nothing wrong with that. Shelter animals are sad but in some circumstances it is better to get a certain breed/ and or puppy because that is the safest bet to have a dog you will really enjoy. My friend got a shelter dog and it ended up turning on her child (u do not know dog’s past). The puppy is still adopted since it was not born at Meghann’s house!

4 Lauren August 4, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Aw, your mom is too sweet.

These pictures make me want to get a puppy so bad! I live in such a small apartment–675 sq ft–and I have a soft spot for Labs, so that’s not the best mix. So jealous!

5 Kim August 4, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Your mom rocks.

Maddie is so, so, so cute. You are going to be two peas in a pod!

6 Simone August 4, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I love you mommy too…and Maddy! Seriously, drool worthy cute! Hope you enjoyed your trip to petsmart and from what i can tell from the pix, I think I have the same black flats! 😉 What a stylish girl..haha!

7 hungrywanderers August 4, 2009 at 9:58 pm

your mom rocks 🙂

8 steph August 4, 2009 at 9:58 pm

pink rhinestone collar! ballin . cute flats too!

9 Rosey Rebecca August 4, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Aww your mom is so sweet! And Maddie is adorable! I keep making my boyfriend come over to my computer to look at pictures of her! Those cookies look really good too!

10 littledear2 August 4, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Your Mom is awesome!

Maddie is so cute! Hope you enjoy your evening with that adorable little girl!

11 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) August 4, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Your new puppy is such a cutie! Your mom seems like one great lady 🙂

12 suzanne August 4, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Such a nice mommy!! And what a cutie patootie maddie is 🙂

13 Julie August 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm

I still can’t get over how cute that dog is! I just love her little face.

14 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) August 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Maddie is making me want to go out and get my own JRT puppy NOW! I’ll be by Ocala next week after we move…maybe I’ll get one of Maddie’s siblings? 😉

That comment “war” (for lack of better term) was absurd. I did love your mommy’s comment though. 🙂

15 Niki August 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Yay for Meghanns Mom! Her post was so sweet!! Loving all the pics of Maddie!!

16 VeggieGirl August 4, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Your mom rocks.

17 Meghan August 4, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Your mom’s message=beautiful and SO TRUE

18 Julie August 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Meghann – I didn’t read the battle in the comments and I don’t think I will even now. I’ve cried several times thinking about you and Abbie and how you must be feeling.
I can understand getting a new friend. That is a beautiful thing and no one should criticize you for that. Your mom’s response was great. I live by myself also (and have no children) and I’ve always loved dogs but they are even more special to me over the past several years that I’ve lived alone. They are incredible companions as you know! I was very glad to see you got Maddie!! Having her to love and for her to love you back is exactly what you need 🙂
I’ve loved reading your adventures with Abbie and look forward to watching Maddie grow too.

19 stephanie August 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I am not a big dog person (as in love dogs, but too busy to take care of one right now) but my word, that has got to be one of the cutest puppies I have ever seen!! I am so excited you get to enjoy a special new friend! yay!!

20 Shannon August 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm

That is just too sweet what your mom wrote. I love your new little girl, she is honestly adorable and looks like a totally girly girl.

21 Laura August 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm

I loved reading your mom’s comment. 🙂 You can really tell how much your family loves each other. You’ve all been through a lot this year and you deserve to be happy! Maddie is too cute for words! I hope she brings you years of joy. 😀

22 Michele August 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Moms are the best! I’m glad you’ve had such wonderful support through all this. Good luck with Maddie!

23 Allison August 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm

AWW – I love your momma! Good thinking to stay out it. Obviously the people who are saying negative things don’t know what a great head you have on your shoulders. OBV Maddie isn’t a replacement for Abbie – but you have love to give – why does it matter if you wait 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months to get a new dog? i am happy for you (and ignore the people who are too stupid to see what a great person you are!)

24 Rebeca August 4, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Mom’s are the best… Love that, she is so right… puppies need loving homes ALL of them!

I love Maddie… she’s the perfect little pup and with such good style too!

I have tempeh in my fridge and I love it “taco” style too!

25 Andee (Runtolive) August 4, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Mom’s are always right 🙂 I have yet to try cheddar flavored pop chips! Dinner looks delish

26 Leah August 4, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Aw! I love your mommy too!

27 Angelea August 4, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Way to go, Meghann’s Mom! 🙂

28 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 4, 2009 at 11:37 pm

You have such a sweet mom! And such a cute new puppy. I’m so happy for you!

29 Whit August 4, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Your mom is awesome. I had tears in my eyes reading that, and I don’t even know the lady. 🙂

30 Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 4, 2009 at 11:55 pm

We just adopted a new puppy tonight. His name is Dickens, like Charles Dickens, and he is a Papillon/Corgi Mix. We love him!
It’s awesome how loving and supportive your mom is! She deserves a hug.

31 Katie F. August 5, 2009 at 12:13 am

Your family is amazing. It’s ridiculous how differently people will behave when they’re behind a keyboard as opposed to in person. Maddie is adorable and it’s obvious that she’s been adopted to an incredibly loving person. I’m so sorry about Abbie, but you know dogs strive to make their owners happy, and seeing your happiness with Maddie has got to be fulfilling that goal.

Now one of these days I have to try tempeh… =)

32 Andrea August 5, 2009 at 12:15 am

Really? Someone really thought it was appropriate and timely to voice their personal opinions now?! It’s called tact people! i agree – your Mom rocks.

33 carolinebee August 5, 2009 at 12:19 am

Oh tears for sure. Go momma 😀 You and maddie are so precious together, and I couldn’t be more supportive of your decision to fill the void that Abbie’s death left and honor her memory by taking in a new baby. Being all alone in your apartment would take a horrible toll on your mental and emotional health, and it sounds like she will help u heal 😀 xoxoxo hugs meghann!

34 Susan August 5, 2009 at 7:10 am

I noticed that in the comments yesterday and it totally tugged at my heart. Parents are awesome! Makes me want to go call my mom… Have a great day with Maddie today! 🙂

35 Andrea [bella eats] August 5, 2009 at 7:44 am

I love your mommy too, and you! Maddie is so completey adorable…I’m so glad you’ve got a happy little face to come home to!

36 Sam August 5, 2009 at 7:49 am

I don’t typically comment, but I had to weigh in on the dog issue. First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. Two days before my sixteenth birthday, my family lost our first dog. It was the hardest thing. The next day, we brought a new little furball into our lives. Some neighbors judged that. However, five years later, it was the best decision we could have made. Getting a new dog was NOT to replace the first, not possible. It was the opportunity to redirect grief and put it to positive use in the form of love. Congrats on your new pup – she’s a lucky one. I’m sure Abbie is smiling down on the two of you.

37 Jessica August 5, 2009 at 8:12 am

She’s so cute and I’m happy you have found a new friend! Hopefully she’s not keeping you up all night. The puppy years can be tough :)!

38 leslie August 5, 2009 at 8:14 am

ok, madeline is the cutest thing EVER. i saw your mom’s comment yesterday, and it brought tears to my eyes too. parents are just amazing people. 🙂

39 Juli D. August 5, 2009 at 8:21 am

Your mom is absolutely correct. Reputable breeders are as important for keeping dogs on this planet as are rescues. Without reputable breeders (that do genetic testing, are active in showing dogs and only breed two dogs that will result in the BEST example of the breed) there would no longer be any healthy dogs of any breed! Unfortunately the misconception of breeders exists because of backyard breeders, puppy farms, breeders that don’t do genetic testing, etc. Please feel no guilt in using a reputable breeder, and enjoy your new family member.

40 Nicole August 5, 2009 at 8:27 am

Hi, Meghann! Maddie is an absolute doll! I’m just delurking to ask you a quick question since you’re a morning runner. I love getting up with the sun and running while it’s not 100* out (I live in the south of the south!), but my body always feels so stiff… even after I get up and moving. I just feel like my walk a minute or two + static stretches routine is not what my body needs to get woken up as well as loosened up. Do you have a warm up “routine” or specific stretches that you do to get going early?

41 blueeyedgirl0805 August 5, 2009 at 8:56 am

I’m impressed and a little envious that you get to eat dinner while it’s still light out!!! The puppy is A-Freakin-Dorable!!! So sorry about Abbie but glad you’ve found a new friend. I would’ve done exactly the same thing. 🙂

-Raya @ RayaRuns.Com

42 Deva August 5, 2009 at 8:59 am

I think that there are dogs and cats all over that need someone to love them, and whether you adopt your pets from a shelter or a breeder, you are giving them a safe, loving, fun home.

Maddy is an adorable puppy and she is lucky to have you as a mum. I am sure that the two of you will have lots of fun hiking, swimming, running, playing – just having fun!

43 kirsten August 5, 2009 at 9:13 am

Maddie is adorable! and your Mom is awesome! 🙂

44 Carolyn August 5, 2009 at 9:16 am

Good job on staying on track through all this emotional turmoil. Maddie is a godsend.

45 eatingbirdfood August 5, 2009 at 9:23 am

Maddie is adorable and you’re mom is such a sweetie. I hope Maddie does well on her own at home today!

I love the raisin and cranberry flavors of the Heart Thrives. Like you said, they are dense, but I like it because it makes me eat it slowly.

46 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 5, 2009 at 9:27 am

Your mom is a sweetie! While I personally believe in adopting from shelters instead of breeders, that is a matter of personal preference and I don’t think a distinction should be made with the term “adopt” regardless of where they came from. Because the dog was once at one place and now they are with you 🙂 Maddie is a lucky little girl and so very cute! Have a great day Meghann.

47 Ally August 5, 2009 at 9:41 am

Ah, she’s so cute!! I’m so glad that you were able to bring her into your home! Aren’t pets just amazing?

48 Kelly August 5, 2009 at 10:27 am

I as Julie above, didn’t read the battle in the comments and I don’t think I will even now.All I can say is you have one special Mom!

49 Stephanie August 5, 2009 at 10:54 am

I love those Vita-Tops (I ordered $100 worth recently from the website, because they are SO much cheaper)! That would make my day too…

50 RunToFinish August 5, 2009 at 12:09 pm

i got a new kitty pretty quickly because I was ready to give someone else a home and to love someone else…not to replace my little guy. so you know what life is about joy..poo on those other people.

LOVE heart thrive, they are so one of my favs!!

51 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 5, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Maddie just looks so precious in every picture!

52 thedallasceliac August 5, 2009 at 1:50 pm

We got our kittens THE DAY we had to put our beloved cat down. We came home to a very empty, very silent house and I desperately wanted something to cuddle with and to distract us from the void we were left with when our kitty passed away.

Do not feel bad about getting Maddie so soon. Abbie would have wanted you to be happy.