My Tribute to Abbie

by Meghann on August 2, 2009

In September of 2007 my life was turned upside down when a five pound Jack Russell puppy came into my life.

It actually took my ex and I over a week to officially name our newest addition. Before Abbie was Abbie she was called Zombie, Zi-Zi, Disney, and probably another dozen names I can’t think of right now. When we finally agreed upon Abbie we decided to go with the A-b-b-i-e spelling after my ex’s irish cousin. I thought it was perfect.

Over the next two years Abbie saw me through too many life changes to count. She was there as my ex and I said our good byes. She was there when I moved on my own to Orlando. She was there as I began to run and run and run. She was there as I began this blog and became the heart and soul of it.

Abbie was the world’s happiest puppy. She always had a smile on her face and lots of hugs and kisses to share. She never met a dog or person she didn’t like and had some of the best dog friends.

Abbie has seen and done more things in her short two years of life then most full grown humans will ever begin to accomplish.

She hiked the Appalachian Trail.

Swam in the gulf coast.

Swam on the east coast.

Hiked to the top of the North Carolina Mountains.

Was pulled in a tube.

Challenged a snapper head turtle

And sat on Santa’s lap.

Abbie was very special and that is something I will never forget.

Love for her was contagious and spread like wild fire.

DSCN0060.JPG 100_3727.JPG

Sadly over the past month Abbie had been in a scratching fenzy. My poor baby was just so itchy. She was pulling her fur out leaving patches of bright red skin and scabs. My heart literally ached for her pain and hearing her scratch brought tears to my eyes. I knew she was in pain and was trying to do anything I could do to help.

This time last year Abbie went through the same itchy fit. I had brought her to the doctor who informed me she was allergic to something unknown in the air and presrcibed some anti-itch medicine. I gave it to her at that time, but when she start to throw up after I gave her the pills I immediately stopped the dosage. Eventually the scratching stopped with the change of the seasons and Abbie was back to her normal self.

When the scratching began again I was desperate to make it stop and requested the medicine again to give her some relief. I should have known better, but all I could think about was making her stop scratching. I gave her a pill before I went to bed last night. Not even an hour later I was awaken to silence. I instantly knew something was wrong and jumped out of bed.

Abbie had experienced another reaction to the medicine and had stopped breathing. She was gone and my whole world fell apart.

If I had not given her that pill Abbie might still be here today. The pain I feel knowing that fact has drilled a large hole in my heart. Life is filled with ‘What if’ scanerios, but this one is just too much to bare.

My baby is gone and life does not have a rewind button. All I can do is keep reminding myself of those happy memories above and all the stories both good and bad that still bring a smile to my face. I could easily fill a book with all things Abbie.

For now I will miss my go-to date night companion.

I will miss my Farmer Market buddy

I will miss that little face waiting every day for me to come home.

But most of all I will miss the love and companionship that was Abbie. She was my best friend, my fur daughter and a member of my family.

I love you Abbie. Forever & Always.

1 myraceblog August 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Oh, Meghann. Please, please do not blame yourself. You were not the one who took Abbie’s life away–you were the one who gave her such a wonderful one.

2 toni August 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm

you have to know you did everything you could for abbie. she os in doggie heaven now and she will always be with you. loss never gets easier, just different and you have to know you were a great doggiemom… keep your head held high and its ok to cry. most of all talk about the good times you had.
good luck…

3 VeggieGirl August 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm

This is a beautiful tribute. Remember what I told you earlier on the phone – always cherish the good memories and these past two amazing years with Abbie. She is watching over you know, always.

4 Julie August 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Oh Meghann, my heart hurts for you. I cried after reading your post earlier today and this one has me in tears too. I love my little dogs so much. And the companionship is amazing.
Please don’t think about the what if’s. You loved her so much and you were a fabulous mother to her!!
I pray that you find peace.

5 Sarah August 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Please don’t blame yourself. It serves no purpose. You will only cause yourself even more heartache. You gave her a wonderful and full life. Be kind to yourself in your grief.

6 Mandee August 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Meghann –
I understand the love that you feel for Abbie. The connection and bond between a dog and it’s person is so beautiful and precious. I know you are glad for the memories that you did have with Abbie, all the fun times and amazing things you two did together. For whatever it may be worth to you, I want you to know that you are in my heart, thoughts, and prayers.

7 Kath August 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm

So sad Meghann. Abbie was the cutest Jack Russel I’ve ever seen. Loved the tribute.

8 Laura August 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Beautiful tribute to Abbie. You clearly gave her a wonderful life, even if it was cut short for whatever reason. Please don’t blame yourself, Meghann! I know that is easier said than done, but this was NOT your fault. You just wanted your baby to feel better. I’ll be thinking of you!

9 Anne K. August 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Oh, sweetheart. I’m so, so sorry. But Meghann, don’t blame yourself. You gave her such a wonderful and loving home, and you just wanted the best for Abbie! Keep remembering the good times–there were definitely many of them :) My thoughts and prayers with be with you <3

10 holly August 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm

so sorry to hear about miss abbie – our thoughts and prayers are with you dear.

11 Marissa August 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm

This was such a wonderful post. I am so sorry for your loss.

12 Adriana August 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm

I rarely comment on any of the blogs I read, but this is something else. There is nothing that I, a complete stranger, can do or say to make you feel better but I want you to know that there are people that are mourning Abbie as well and praying that you will one day remember Abbie and not break down in tears, but smile with joy. Please do not blame yourself, these accidents happen everyday all over the world. My family once lost a cat to the hands of a dog that attacked her at night while we were asleep. We also blamed ourselves for not having put him in the house. It was painful, but we chose to stop “what if-ing” and now remember our cat by the many funny stories and times he gave us. I am so so so sorry for your loss.

13 Betsy August 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Thanks for sharing this tribute Meghann, my heart goes out to you tonight. I’ll be thinking of you, too!

14 andrea. August 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Aw, Meghann, this was a beautiful post. She was a sweet, beautiful girl, and I can’t believe she had so much excitement in just two years!

Please please please don’t blame yourself! You were doing what you could to ease your girl’s discomfort, I think ANY of us would have done the same. You gave Abbie a great life, and I have no doubt that on some level, she knew just how lucky she was.

15 Melissa @ For the Love of Health August 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Meghann I am so incredibly sorry to hear such bad news. I hope you are okay. I can only imagine how intensely horrible it is. I truly hope you can heal.

16 stephanie p August 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Like everyone else said, don’t blame yourself. You were trying to help. At least Abbie had the best life possible in those two years. My heart hurts for you and the pain you feel. I hope it brings you some comfort to know so many people reading your blog want to help…

17 Kathleen August 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm

This is so strange, last night I had a dream and my dog was in it. We had to put her to sleep at 15 years old a little over a year ago. Seeing our pets in pain is not easy and we can only do what we think is right to help them. Think of the good times you had with Abbey, you treated her like gold. Thinking of you! xoxo

18 Courtney F August 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Meghann. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can’t imagine your feelings, but can empathize if something happened to our fur kids.
It is so not your fault, nor should you blame yourself. She was a beautiful dog and knew you loved her. You will be in my prayers as your life is having this horrible experience.

19 Emily S August 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Meghann I am so, so sorry about Abbie. Please don’t blame yourself – you were the best “mother” Abbie could have had and I know she loves you just as much as you love her. My heart hurts for you. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

20 Jessica August 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm

What a great tribute to your sweet Abbie; she had a great life with you. My thoughts are with you!

21 Molly August 2, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I never comment on these blogs, although I am an avid reader, I constantly click on my bookmarked pages to see if you have an update :) I feel so compelled to write today because for some reason i just couldnt get you or abbie out of my mind! I just got a dog as well as soon as I left my college days behind me, and he is my world. I can only imagine the pain you are going through. Please dont blame yourself, you only wanted the best for Abbie, and now she only wants the best for you, and for you to be happy :) You’re in my prayers now and always…

22 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) August 2, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Oh honey I am SO sorry, I am so heartbroken for you and your loss. :( Abbie was such a beautiful dog with a beautiful life, and she would not want you to blame yourself! You were truly just trying to do all you could to help her. Don’t play the what if’s with yourself, because the what if’s could have been turned the other way around (i.e. if you hadn’t given her the meds and the same thing happened, you would have said “what if I had given her the medicine?”). Abbie would want you to keep living your life full of the love and vivaciousness we all know and love of you. You’re in my thoughts and I wish I was seeing you soon to give you a giant hug!! xoxo!

23 littledear2 August 2, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Meghann I am so sorry for the loss of Abbie. But please try not to blame were such a great mommy to her! My heart hurts for you so much..Hugs!

24 Julie August 2, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Meghann, please don’t blame yourself. It wasn’t your fault, you saw your baby in pain and wanted to make it better. If you keep thinking “what if” it will drive you crazy. You were a great mom to Abbie and she loved you 100% with her whole heart.

25 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 2, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I’ve been thinking about you all day and all the pain you are feeling at the loss of Abbie. Every time I passed a car with a dog in it, or even every time I hugged my own babies, I thought of you and said a little prayer that your heart will heal fast but that you will always treasure your memories with Abbie.

Everyone has said it, but you were only trying to give Abbie relief…that empathy and compassion is why she loved you so much.

All of my sympathies,

26 Jennifer L. August 2, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Delurking to tell you how incredibly sorry I am for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

27 Andrea of Care to Eat August 2, 2009 at 11:03 pm

It does get easier, I promise. It will be hard, but it does get easier. Abbie IS loved and that’s what matters.

28 Simone August 2, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I LOVE ABBIE TOO!! I might not have ever known her or met her spunky self in person, but as someone who is looking into adopting a dog of my own, I personally loved hearing about yours and Abbie’s adventures together and well, everything Abbie. I am so sorry for your loss but you cannot blame yourself for her passing. You were simply trying to put her out of her itching misery and sadly this tragedy happened. Clearly it was by no means a malicious act on your part and you cannot think of it as such. Who would have ever known that this medicine would stop her heart–clearly no one, so DON’T blame yourself. I know it is hard not to but you are a strong and fabulous woman and you WILL get through this. Take all the grieving time you need, but just know, it was not your fault and that you were a fantastic mother to your fur child. Abbie is looking down on you from doggie heaven and smiling.

29 snackface August 2, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Aww sweet Meghann, please do not blame yourself. Giving Abbie something to relieve her itchiness is something every parent would do; it’s not your fault and I just wish I could be there to hug you (even though I’m a relative stranger- sorry!). My thoughts and prayers are with you.

30 Bee August 2, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Meghann, I am so sorry for your loss. I truly believe pets are really part of a family, and non-pet people do not understand that devastation that a pet’s loss can have. Abbie was a beautiful and wonderful dog. Please do not blame yourself – you were only trying to help her! Abbie knows that up in puppy heaven. You gave her a full and amazing life in such a short time. Stay strong.

31 Kaye August 2, 2009 at 11:11 pm

What a cutie-patutie! No one could read this blog and NOT know that Abbie was loved tremendously. What a wonderful tribute to your fur baby :)

32 kb August 2, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Meghann – what an amazing tribute. You brought tears to my eyes. Abbie would not want you beating yourself up over this. You were doing what you thought was best. There are no ‘what ifs’ in this situation – you did what any good mom would do – you tried to relieve your puppy from pain.

33 Lori August 2, 2009 at 11:16 pm

What a beautiful tribute! Please don’t blame yourself, you did what any responsible pet owner would do. You were just trying to help her and make her comfortable. You were a wonderful mom to Abbie and you gave her a great life. Don’t ever forget that!
It is going to be very difficult for you over the next while. i hope you are able to take care of yourself and do whatever you need to do to help yourself start healing.

34 Andrea [bella eats] August 2, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Oh Meghann, I’ve been thinking about you all day. My heart aches for you and the pain I know you are feeling. This is a wonderful tribute, written by someone who clearly loved little Abbie. You gave her the best possible life – 2 years that she wouldn’t have had with you. Hang on to the positive memories and don’t dwell on the “what ifs”. You loved her, she loved you, and neither of you will ever forget the other.

35 Tyly August 2, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I am a loyal reader and always enjoyed hearing about Abbie and her adventures. As a pet owner myself, I know they love of an animal. Like you, I have no kids, and I have 1 dog that is my child. My dog has also seen me through break ups, moves, etc., so I truly understand your love for Abbie. Your posts have brought me to tears, and I am SO sorry for your loss. I was shocked to say the least this morning when I read what happened. Please, please do not blame yourself. You gave Abbie a life full of love and happiness, and there isn’t anything that you did wrong. She will always be with you.

36 The Novice Berker August 2, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Meghann… You can’t be putting the blame on yourself. You saw Abbie at the beginning of another itching episode and you wanted to make her feel better. She was helplessly covered in scabs the last time and you didn’t want that to happen to her again. There was nothing wrong in what you did. You just didn’t want to see her suffering. You loved her so, so much and she loved you too. Keep your chin up, dear.

37 Jess August 2, 2009 at 11:21 pm

This was a fantastic tribute to Abbie – it was beautiful, sweet, and heartwrenching. I’m so sorry for your loss. Don’t blame yourself! You only did what you thought would be best for Abbie. *hugs*

38 Abby August 2, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I am so sorry to hear about sweet Abbie. We lost our dog last year and I completely understand the pain and emptiness in your life. As silly as it sounds, I’ll be praying for you as you cope with this loss.

39 TorontoGirloutWest August 2, 2009 at 11:24 pm

This wasn’t your fault. Sometimes things just happen and we have no say in it. God called her back early because heaven needed her beautiful puppy love!

40 Brooke August 2, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I have always loved your blog and I think what drew me to it even more was how Abbie lit up the webpage and in some way reminded me of my own relationship with my dogs. Knowing how strong that can be I can only imagine how you may feel right now. I know I personally found comfort imagining my dog (or Abbie) in doggie heaven filled with endless doggie treats, belly scratches, and fetch games. You now truly have your own guardian angel who may not run along side you any longer but will absolutely watch out for you as your cheerleader as you continue to cross lifes finish lines.

41 Annamarina August 2, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Your tribute to your precious Abby had me in tears this evening. I can only imagine your pain, as I too have a dog who is like a child to me. Thinking of you during this difficult time.

42 Holly August 2, 2009 at 11:33 pm

That was so beautiful. I am totally crying right now. I am so sad for you.

43 Elisabeth August 2, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Meghann, I am so sorry for this horrible loss. This post has me literally sobbing with the thought of losing my own little ones. They become such a part of our lives, and losing them is like losing a child of sorts. I’m sending healing thoughts your way.

44 Nicole August 2, 2009 at 11:35 pm

My heart hurts for you, I am so sorry for your loss. Abbie always brought a smile to my face when she was on one of your posts and I could tell you took such good care of her. Thinking of you!

45 Sandy August 2, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Meghann..your baby Abbie had a better life than most people!! You didn’t do anything wrong~Nothing was your fault..and if she could, she’d tell you that..
She was LOVED by you, and all of your family and friend’s..I’m so sorry her time with you went so quickly..
Beautiful tribute to her..she was precious!!!

Many thought’s and Prayers for you…

46 ~CarolynB~ August 2, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Beautiful tribute to your baby…I hope that it helped a little to share your two year journey with all of us.

Take care…

47 lola August 2, 2009 at 11:59 pm

beautiful pictures meghann, my heart goes to you :( i know what it’s like to lose a pet, when my pet fish died i cried and everyone made fun of me b ut i didn’t care, i love him and that’s all it matters.

48 Sara August 3, 2009 at 12:08 am

What a very sweet tribute, Meghann! Looks like Abbie had a great life and a loving mom. :) I’m so sorry for your loss.

49 eatlivelovedream August 3, 2009 at 12:08 am

i’m so sorry about your dog. this makes me so sad to see:( I have dogs and couldn’t imagine. I guess we just have to be thankful for the moments we get with them.

50 Fattie Fatterton August 3, 2009 at 12:21 am

Please don’t blame yourself – you were only trying to help and there was no way you could have known that would be her body’s reaction.

51 landoffruitsandnuts August 3, 2009 at 12:39 am

Aw Meghann, this is such a beautiful tribute to a wonderful dog. You cannot blame yourself, this is in no way your fault. You were trying to make her most comfortable and not in pain and you didn’t do a single thing wrong. You gave her the best life a dog could ever wish for. Hang in there Meghann and thanks for sharing Abbie’s story & pictures, they brought a smile and tears to my face.

52 Hannah Hawley August 3, 2009 at 12:44 am

Healing energy coming your way!
You gave Abbie the best life, that is what you did. You loved her and made her a part of your family.
You are not to blame.

53 Hallie August 3, 2009 at 12:55 am

What a sweet tribute. You were a wonderful Mommy and that’s all there is to it. She had a wonderful life for the two years she was with you, and I hope you can take comfort in that, and the fact that your readers are aching for your loss…I know I am, girl.

54 Rebeca August 3, 2009 at 12:56 am

Meghann, this made my heart hurt for you… I’m so sorry for your loss.

As hard as it may seem, don’t think about what if’s you were being the best mother you knew to be and trying to help ease her pain. Just remember that she will never feel pain again and that her life, although much too short, was very full and she was happy.

55 jentrinque August 3, 2009 at 1:00 am

Meghann, try not to get caught up in all the what-ifs. Years ago I had a kitten and I could tell he wasn’t feeling well, but he was going to the vet the next day for some kitten shots anyways, so I ignored it. When I woke up in the morning he had passed away and I blamed myself for it for a long, long time. However, if that hadn’t happened I probably wouldn’t have the two beautiful kitties I have now, and I am so thankful for them. Don’t beat yourself up over this. Abbie is happy, and her little doggie soul is running around all over the place wherever she is. I am so sorry for your loss, but I know Abbie wouldn’t want her best bud to be so hard on herself. It’s okay; you’re still a WONDERFUL and RESPONSIBLE pet-mom, and you were only trying to help her. My thoughts are with you :)

56 Stephanie August 3, 2009 at 1:30 am

Oh Meghann….I understand this “what if” thinking. I think it’s normal. I did it too when I lost my Alby. It lasted a while, but after several months it has become easier to focus on the good and be proud of the life and the joy. I hope it is that way for you too. For now, your mourning is your tribute to this wonderful creature who you loved with all your heart. You were lucky for your time with her, and she was lucky for her time with you, and I believe someday we all will be reunited with our beloved pets. Take good care of yourself.

57 Deirdre August 3, 2009 at 1:41 am

What a wonderful tribute! You shouldn’t blame yourself. Abbie was truly lucky to have you in her life. There are so many people that don’t appreciate their pets and don’t treat them the way you treated her. She lived a better life in those years with you than some pets live for ten years with their owners. You are an example of what a compassionate pet mom/friend should be!

58 JuicyJessy August 3, 2009 at 1:58 am

big hug. don’t feel guilty, you were only trying to help her…

59 Cecilia August 3, 2009 at 2:01 am

Oh Meghann, I am so sorry for your loss. Remember, this incident is not your fault. Abbie is lucky to have a friend like you in her life :) I’m giving you lots of virtual hugs and kisses right now….

60 Alison August 3, 2009 at 3:09 am

Aww Meghann my heart just aches for you. Wishing you peace during this time.

61 Amy August 3, 2009 at 3:14 am

Meghann I love you and Abbie and will continue to keep you both in my thoughts. Abbie will be looking down on you from now until forever. She’s with you. Always.

62 Luna August 3, 2009 at 3:32 am

your post made me cry.Don’t blame yourself, there is no reason to it, Abbie was loved and had an intense and happy life…and I know this doesn’t fill the hole in your heart, because she was she is and she will always be a part of you. Give it time, and take care of yourself.

63 prinny August 3, 2009 at 4:43 am

Meghann – I am so sorry for your loss!

I know this will not make you feel better in any way, but I am sure that Abbie is on the other side of the rainbow, watching out for you.

Again – so, so sorry for you!

64 caitlin August 3, 2009 at 5:16 am

a wonderful tribute for a wonderful puppy!

65 Erica August 3, 2009 at 5:17 am

Oh Meghann- again…I’m not what sure what to say but I am so sorry. I am sure Abbie loved you as much as you loved her and she will always be in heaven watching over you. I hope you get to take today off to just enjoy the wonderful times you two spent together. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do for you.

66 Kiki (Run Kiki Run) August 3, 2009 at 5:23 am

there is no way you could change what happened or know if it’s the pills or sth else. dont blame youself, no one else does! you would have never done this knowingly of what will happen. just remember her for what she gave you, and she will remember you for what she got from you. x

67 Bridget August 3, 2009 at 6:37 am

I am so sorry for your loss! You only did the best that you could, trying to help Abbie with something that WAS causing her discomfort. No animal could ask for a better owner. I know that you have many, many great memories of her and I hope that you can find solace in them.

68 Kara August 3, 2009 at 6:37 am

Your tribute brought a tear to my eye. I have been giving my dog extra hugs after I read your post yesterday morning, it’s just not fair that Abbie had to leave you after only 2 short years. Don’t obsess on the medicine. Even if you had given the medicine in the past and it had been fine, she could have still had a reaction to it. You were trying to ease your dog’s suffering, there is no blame in that.

69 nutritionbyeve August 3, 2009 at 6:45 am

That was a beautiful post. Dogs really are so much of families, and I can tell how much love you had for her. PLease don’t blame yourself – you were only trying to help her! And no one would have ever imagined this outcome, especially if you gave it to her one time before. I hope you can remember her for all the love you had for each other.

70 Lexie August 3, 2009 at 6:47 am

I loved your post on Abbie. What a sweet dog! No matter what you do, do not blame yourself. You were just trying to be the best parent you could be and help take that itching away from her. You did not want to see her in pain. It is not your fault at all!
I hope that your days will be filled of remembering all the great things about Abbie and everything she has brought to your life.

71 Mica August 3, 2009 at 6:58 am

This is a wonderful, though sad, post. You have a lot of sweet memories of Abbie with some great photos to remember her by. Like everyone else has said, try to remember the good things and don’t dwell on the bad–and definitely don’t blame yourself!

72 Susan August 3, 2009 at 7:00 am

This was a wonderful tibute Meghann! It is 100% not your fault, I think you made the best decision you could in that moment. It’s not how life ends that matters, but how it was lived.

73 Lauren August 3, 2009 at 7:19 am

My deepest thoughts and prayers are with you. My heart hurt so badly when I read your news and as a few tears rolled down my cheeks, I quickly turned to my Sammy and held him a little tighter. I can’t imagine, I truly can’t even fathom loosing my beloved Sammy. I am so sorry that you are hurting and even though words can not take away any pain or sorrow, I will be thinking of you and your sweet Abbie today.

Love you girl! :)

74 Justy2003 August 3, 2009 at 7:19 am

Such a great tribute to Abbie. She obviously lived a full life and was loved by lots of people, but most of all by you.

75 Melanie August 3, 2009 at 7:31 am

I am so sorry. My heart aches for you. I had to say goodbye to my dear Puss on 12/7/07. She was almost 19 years old, and we’d had her since I was 7. I don’t know if you’re a person of faith or not, but I truly believe that those creatures that made our life bearable, that shared a special connection with us, will be waiting for us in Heaven at the end of it all. I’ll be thinking of you.

76 healthy ashley August 3, 2009 at 7:35 am

Abbie was just awesome. She really had a great life and you both worked together perfectly. Wonderful tribute, Meghann.

77 Savannah August 3, 2009 at 7:36 am

How beautiful! And so needed – I have a Jack Russell with the same itchy problem, and for some reason hadn’t had time to take him to the vet for medicine. Buddy the dog and I both send hugs and prayers your way.

78 ttfn300 August 3, 2009 at 7:40 am

oh my gosh meghan i am so so sorry!! this is a wonderful tribute, you two were quite a pair, and she will never be forgotten.

79 tami August 3, 2009 at 7:47 am

i do hope the memories that you shared with her can help you through these difficult days.

80 Melanie August 3, 2009 at 7:57 am

Meghann I am so terribly sorry! I don’t usually comment but had to today. It is so hard to lose a pet but please know that she was so extremely lucky to have you in her life! You loved her and took care of her which made her short life wonderful! Hang in there and keep remembering the good time with her! My cats and I send you hugs!!

81 Taylor Leigh August 3, 2009 at 8:00 am

I know it’s so hard right now, but she is in a much better place. She’s looking down on you and watching out for you now! Things happen and it always happens for a reason. You are in my prayers!

82 Janie August 3, 2009 at 8:04 am

I am so, so sorry for your loss Meghann. I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling. I have to second what many others have said above and that is definitely do not blame yourself. She was a beautiful dog and you will always have the happy memories.

83 Aimee August 3, 2009 at 8:07 am

You were a great mother!! I always smiled reading how well you treated Abbie, so please don’t be hard on yourself. You did what was right and tried to take away her pain.

84 Elizabeth August 3, 2009 at 8:07 am

My heart hurts for you. Your love for Abbie is clear. She had such a wonderful life, thanks to you.

85 Sammie August 3, 2009 at 8:08 am

Meghann please do not blame yourself. You reacted like any mommy would – you were just trying to take care of your baby. You gave Abbie the most incredible life. I swear that she is smiling in all those pictures – she was one happy girl.

86 Dori August 3, 2009 at 8:11 am

As many others said, try not to blame yourself. You were just trying to stop her suffering and I am sure you figured the worst that would happen is she would throw up again. You had no way to know it would turn out this way, you were just trying to make her feel better.

87 Anne P August 3, 2009 at 8:18 am

Oh gosh this just brought me to tears. You poor thing… please don’t blame yourself – you and she both know that you were only trying to do something to help ease her itching pain, and would never have hurt her on purpose. She had a fantastic life and was clearly very loved. Hugs to you as you get through this difficult time. xoxoxo

88 gina (fitnessista) August 3, 2009 at 8:19 am

what a beautiful tribute. i’m sure she’s looking down from doggie heaven, smiling, and thanking you for the wonderful life you gave her. you were an amazing puppy mom 😀
thinking about you <3

89 becky August 3, 2009 at 8:21 am

My heart hurts to read this…think only of your intentions, which were always pure and good. She would have been miserable scratching and you did what you thought best, what any good pet owner would do.

Thinking of you. Take it one moment at a time…

90 Megan August 3, 2009 at 8:25 am

Meghann, this tribute was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. But as many have said, you gave Abbie an amazing life and that is what you need to focus on, not blaming yourself. You made her such a happy girl.
Thinking of you . . . .

91 sarah August 3, 2009 at 8:32 am

It is so obvious that you loved Abbie so much, which is exactly what you were doing by trying to help her. Do not blame yourself. You were just trying to do the best for her and she knew that. She loved you just as much as you loved her. You made her a very happy dog. Thinking of you!

92 Andrea (Off Her Cork) August 3, 2009 at 8:40 am

Very powerful post Meghann.

93 Danielle August 3, 2009 at 8:49 am

What a lovely post! My heart truly hurts for your loss of Abbie and I feel like what I could say isn’t nearly as wonderful as what others have already said – but feel like I must echo not to play out the “what if” scenario. You gave Abbie an incredibly loving home and were an amazing fur momma to her. She truly lived a wonderful and full doggie life.

Many hugs and much love

94 greenbean August 3, 2009 at 8:51 am

Meghann, this is such a beautiful tribute. Abbie lived an awesome life and has been on so many adventures. And she has you to thank for all of that. You opened your home and your heart to give this puppy a place to live, good food, and a lot of love. You did all that for her and you would have done anything to help her and make her feel comfortable. Please don’t blame yourself. Your intentions were pure and nothing else. I pray you can find peace and comfort right now and enjoy the happy memories you both shared. xoxo

95 amy August 3, 2009 at 8:51 am

Meghann, you did what any responsible parent of a fur baby would do, you tried to help her whilst she was suffering, you can not blame yourself for loving Abbie so much that you wanted to help her. I hope you find the tears melt away soon and the gorgeous memories you have of your sweet little pup will shine through. This has really touched my heart and can not stop thinking of you. Abbie would have passed away so peacfully, content that her mommy was helping her. You take care, sending you a BIG virtual hug from the UK xxx

96 Natalia August 3, 2009 at 8:53 am

I read your blog every day but this is the first time I wrote. Meghan, I can’t imagine the pain that you are experience right now. I have a fury daughter too, “my only real buddy” as I called her and I just feel so sad for you.

There’s nothing I can say to make you feel better… I know. But I do want you to know that Abbie was blessed to have you as her “mother”. There are other dogs that don’t have the same opportunity.

Sorry for this long comment but your loss really touches me.

You are in my prayers, Heather.

[Sorry for any grammar mistakes – My 1st language is Spanish since I’m from Puerto Rico]

97 dailygoods August 3, 2009 at 8:58 am

meghann i am so sorry for your loss. My heart aches for you. PLease don’t blame yourself, you only wanted her to feel better, you didn’t know this would happen. You were the best mom to her and I know shes in doggie heaven. You couldn’t have given her a better life, she always looked like the hapiest pup in the world.

98 Whit August 3, 2009 at 9:02 am

Oh Meghann!

What a beautiful tribute, but honey, it was not your fault. I know it feels that way and you will always wonder why, but it was not your fault. You were only trying to help in the best way you knew how. Just being a good Mom.

99 Gina August 3, 2009 at 9:16 am

What a beautiful tribute. Please do not blame yourself! I would have done the same thing. Just know that you gave her a happy and fulfilling life, and she did some amazing things that not all dogs get to do!

100 Meghan C. August 3, 2009 at 9:23 am

I don’t usually comment, but I always read.

So, so sorry. There is nothing more difficult. :(

101 BethT August 3, 2009 at 9:29 am

I’m so sad for you, and have to echo those who say do not blame yourself. You were acting in Abbie’s best interest as you tried to soothe her.

102 Pam August 3, 2009 at 9:30 am

This is not your fault! My heart aches for you. You have to remember that everything happens for a reason, unfortunately even the bad things. I am so sorry for your loss!

103 Niki August 3, 2009 at 9:30 am

My heart truely goes out to you. This is such a hard thing to be going through. This was a beautiful tribute to Abbie and you had me in tears. But don’t blame yourself, it wasn’t your fault. You were trying to help her. Take care girl. *Hugs*

104 Jamie @ sweatyhugs August 3, 2009 at 9:30 am

My heart is breaking for you Meghann. (hugs) Please try not to blame yourself for this. You were only trying to find some relief for her itching. Abbie was very much loved by you…hang in there.

105 kirsten August 3, 2009 at 9:31 am

what a nice tribute to Abbie. I’m sure shes looking down on you, feeling greatful for what an awesome mom she had while she was here.

106 Alison August 3, 2009 at 9:31 am

I am so sorry for your loss!

107 fitforfree August 3, 2009 at 9:33 am

Meghann, you gave Abbie a wonderful life — and you did what seemed best for her by giving her her medicine. Thank you for sharing your love for her with us.

108 Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 3, 2009 at 9:36 am

This is such a wonderful tribute… you’ll always remember Abbie as your best friend, no matter where she physically is. As hard as it may be, try to not blame yourself since there was no way of knowing… you gave her the best life possible, and one day, you’ll meet a puppy with a familiar glimmer in her eye :)

109 orangechic August 3, 2009 at 9:36 am

I am thinking about you and Abbie right now, you gave her a wonderful life and she loved you unconditionally.

110 Michelle August 3, 2009 at 9:37 am

Meghann, that tribute to Abbie has me crying at my desk. I have a dog that is my world as well, and I know that you must be aching inside at the loss of her. Please don’t blame yourself, there is a reason for everything, and it was her time. I can feel the love you have for Abbie, and I’m sure, wherever she is, she know that and feels it too :)

111 j August 3, 2009 at 9:40 am

meghann, don’t blame yourself you just wanted to help abbie and stop the pain she was feeling, i am crying as i read this,abbie was a very lucky puppy who had a great owner,sorry for your loss!

112 Tammy Eros August 3, 2009 at 9:43 am

What a great tribute to Abbie…your post had me in tears, for her and for you….it’s hard to know what to do in that situation, and you were doing what you could to help her..I’m so sorry for your loss.

113 Ally August 3, 2009 at 9:47 am

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my little Hanna pup in Feburary and there’s still a hole in my heart. I’m so sorry, Meghann. She lived a great life and had a wonderful mom who loved her dearly. She was a very lucky and loved little lady. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

114 Madelin August 3, 2009 at 9:47 am

This post made me cry, I feel so terrible for you, can’t even imagine :(. It is clear how much you loved her.

115 Goldie August 3, 2009 at 9:48 am

Aw Meghann

What a happy lil pup she was to have you. I know you’re sad she’s gone but she had the most wonderful life with a wonderful owner. You were both blessed to find one another.

116 Becci August 3, 2009 at 9:50 am

My heart aches for you….I cannot imagine losing my furbaby! At least you have so many wonderful pictures and memories, and everyone knows how much you loved her and she loved you! You are in my prayers!

117 sam August 3, 2009 at 9:52 am

Aw Megan it is definitely NOT your fault. You were just doing everything you could to help her. I hope are okay and try to keep your head up. This post literally brought tears to my eyes.

118 Lauren August 3, 2009 at 9:54 am

I rarely comment, but I just had to tell you I’m so sorry about Abbie. Take all the time you need to grieve for her–Pets are practically people in my book :)

119 chandra August 3, 2009 at 9:55 am

You were an amazing mom to Abbie. You always had her best interests in mind and anyone who reads your blog knows how much you love her. Try not to think about the what-ifs. Even though it sometimes isn’t what we want or expect, everything happens for a reason. Cherish the good memories and stay strong. Abbie will always be looking over you and loving you. *Hugs*

120 Ellie August 3, 2009 at 10:10 am

I have never posted before but reading about the loss of your sweet puppy Abbie brought tears to my eyes. I have been a dog lover my entire life which unfortunately includes having to deal with the loss of a beloved pet and friend. There’s no way to describe a relationship with a dog. They are amazing in so many ways. They never get mad at you and they always listen. My heart is broken for your loss, but know that little Abbie is up in heaven running around and watching you, knowing that you are the best Mom she could have ever had.

121 sarahdbelle August 3, 2009 at 10:17 am

Oh, Meghann,
I am so, so sorry to hear about Abbie. I know how much you loved her, and she loved you. I’m thinking about you.

122 RunToFinish August 3, 2009 at 10:23 am

oh meaghann, I just went through this with my cat less than a month ago…it’s really hard. I am so so sorry you are having to go through this.

123 MaryBe August 3, 2009 at 10:23 am

I am so heart-sick for you :(
And I agree with the others who have said DON’T play the ‘what if’ game’. You gave her a wonderful life, cherish the happy memories

124 kas459 August 3, 2009 at 10:32 am

meghann – i’m was so sorry to hear about abbie, but you definitely cannot blame yourself for what happened. you were the best owner she could have had, taking her on so many wonderful trips with you and having so many date nights with her. <3s

125 Heather August 3, 2009 at 10:32 am

Oh Meghann, my heart really goes out to you! I loved reading your tribute to Abbie & she reminded me of my own little Abbie that I had years ago. Please please please do not blame yourself for something that you were doing out of love.

Abbie had the best life EVER & was clearly happy in her pictures! I hope you find some comfort in knowing that you made her life a great one.

Ginormous hugs & lotsa love coming your way!

126 Jessica August 3, 2009 at 10:33 am

I am a long time reader, but infrequent commenter–my heart goes out to you. Stay strong-you gave Abbie the best two years anyone can give to a pup. I’m thinking about you.

127 Natalie August 3, 2009 at 10:34 am

I read your blog everyday and just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and Abbie. I have two dogs and know that the bond you share with Abbie is so special and life changing. I’m wishing you the strength to deal with this pain and hope you know you were a wonderful mommy to cute little Abbie.

128 Kathleen August 3, 2009 at 10:34 am

Abbie lived such a full life and this tribute is beautiful. She lived a full life and enjoyed so much of it. Please don’t blame yourself…I hope that you find peace soon.

129 Emily Malone August 3, 2009 at 10:34 am

Oh my god Meghann, I am soooo sorry for your loss. I know words don’t change what’s happened. Please know that I am thinking of you and your family, as I know they loved her too. The loss of a pet (in my opinion) is one of the worst things a person can go through. Be happy for the two wonderful years you spent together, and remember how much she loved you. You are in my thoughts:(

130 Laura August 3, 2009 at 10:35 am

My heart goes out to you, stay strong and remember the good times with Abbie.

131 Krys August 3, 2009 at 10:36 am

Meg ~ As the mom to two JRT’s my heart goes out to you. My male JRT, Jax’N Trouble, has the same issue with the “hot spots” as our Vet. calls them. The female, Jill, doesn’t seem to have any issues with them though. Don’t second guess your decision though. Abbie was well loved and taken care of. That was clear to all that read your blog.

132 Nicole August 3, 2009 at 10:36 am

Meghann, your words about Abbie were beautiful. Through every post, I could tell how much joy you brought to each others lives. She will be truly missed. Please remember not to blame yourself. You were only trying to relieve her, and I can do know that many others would do the same. Take care <3

133 Karla August 3, 2009 at 10:39 am

Meghann, your tribute to Abbie was beautiful and touching. She was so lucky to have a mommy like you who took such wonderful care of her. My heart goes out to you.

134 misslabella August 3, 2009 at 10:43 am

It`s always hard when a dear pet passed away. I`d to make this experience already twice. I know, how you feel …

135 Brandi August 3, 2009 at 10:44 am

what a beautiful tribute. you can tell how much you two meant to each other, and what a joy she was in your life and vice versa.

Remember the good times and all the fun you had together – Abbie knew that you took care of her, loved her, and were trying to help her feel better. (((hugs)))

136 Caitlin August 3, 2009 at 10:46 am

What a sweet dog your Abbie seemed to have been. It definitely looks like she had a very fullfilling few years of life. As much as you were blessed to have Abbie in your life, it looks as though Abbie was just as lucky to have you as a mom :)

By the way, whose brown dog is the one sitting next to Abby on the red-brown coach? They looked so cute together.

Take care Meghann!

137 papayafish August 3, 2009 at 10:49 am

What a great tribute to such a great-lookin friend. I’m so so sorry for your loss Meghann!

138 Shannon (The Daily Balance) August 3, 2009 at 10:54 am

amazing tribute. I am so so so SO sorry for your loss. At least you know that while Abbie was here, she was SO loved and had such a great life with you as her owner 😉

139 Jennifer August 3, 2009 at 11:12 am

Oh Meghann I am so sorry for your loss! My thoughts are with you!!!

140 stacey August 3, 2009 at 11:17 am

Meghann- This is a great tribute to Abbie! She was so obviously loved.

141 Bevin August 3, 2009 at 11:18 am

meghann!!! i am so sorry. that is a beautiful tribute to abbie. i believe that animals have spirits just like humans. her spirit is still with you, you just cant see it. but if you ask her, im sure she will let you feel it. thinking of you!!!!!!!

142 Suzanne August 3, 2009 at 11:22 am

That post was beautiful. Losing a pet is just as hard as losing a family member. I’m so sorry for your loss. You’re in my prayers.

143 Danielle C. August 3, 2009 at 11:26 am

What a beautiful post and tribute to a very special girl. My eyes are tearing up and I’ve never met you or Abbie. Losing a pet is so hard, they are our best friends and members of our family, their love unconditional.

144 Carrie August 3, 2009 at 11:47 am

Meghann, so sorry to hear about your loss. You are right, Abbie lived life to the fullest and loved and played hard. My heart is with you through these tough times.

145 traveleatlove August 3, 2009 at 11:50 am

You did the best you could to help her, and I am so sorry for your loss and that you are feeling so badly. She sounds like she had an amazing life and knew how much she was loved.

146 Erin August 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Oh Meghann, my heart brakes for you but please do not blame yourself you were just doing what you could to make Abbie comfortable you could not have foreseen what would happen. Abbie had the best life a dog could have with you.

147 Angie August 3, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Oh my goodness.
I am so incredibly sorry to hear this news.
Pets are definitely like family and I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.
She was a gorgeous girl.

148 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 3, 2009 at 12:11 pm

This is such a beautiful tribute for a beautiful pup. I know it’s tough, but try not to blame yourself. You were doing what you thought was best to help her. We can all see how much you loved her, and I’m sure she felt it, too. We’re all here to support you!

149 loveprevails August 3, 2009 at 12:19 pm

this is wonderful and you are so right, I never met Abbie but your tribute to her just now brought tear to my eyes.
You’ve got tons of support here and am sure with you immediate friends and family. Youre in my thought!

150 Menden August 3, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Meghann, I am so so sorry to read such sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with you during such a difficult time. I can tell that Abbie was so well-loved, and I know she was one lucky dog to be with someone like you. Take care….

151 fifi August 3, 2009 at 12:24 pm

This could be completely unrelated to the medicine – don’t blame yourself. You gave her a wonderful life and took wonderful care of her and she was happy and that’s what matters most.

152 Mallory August 3, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Just through the short time I have been reading your blog, the sweet and wonderful nature of Abbie has completely come through. Your tribute to her is a great set of memories, and the rest of your blog will always be there to keep you remembering the good times. Don’t blame yourself…you did everything you could and made the same choices most other people would. Abbie was more than loved and had a great, exciting and fulfilling life. If she could have written a blog, it would be full of tales of her love for Meghann :)
My thoughts are with you. Be strong and focus on the amazing times you had with your baby.

153 Paige August 3, 2009 at 12:25 pm

What a wonderful tribute! It brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes…all at the same time. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

154 lowandbhold August 3, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I can’t even imagine the pain and anguish you must be experiencing. I’ve been thinking about it every since I read the first post and my heart breaks for your loss. Please understand that it was in no way your fault, and that your puppy was truly loved. I am so so sorry for your loss.

155 Meghan August 3, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I am an regular reader of your blog, but have never commented in the past – however your story about Abbie really touched me. What wonderful times you had together…isn’t it funny how a little fur ball can become like a daughter in so many ways?

A similar freakish incident happened to my 8 month old kitten in June. I was also going through the “what if’s” like you are, and it was soooo hard to realize that you can’s turn back the clock. Just know that Abbie had a WONDERFUL life. Take time to grieve and let her memory live with you forever, but know that you made her the HAPPIEST puppy in the world, and she loved you!

156 Andee (Runtolive) August 3, 2009 at 12:49 pm

This is such a touching post. You cannot blame yourself, as many would have done the same, including me. I am so sorry for what you had to go through, she will be dearly missed on this blog.

157 Allison August 3, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Beautiful post Meghann! Abbie was so incredibly loved – she really was one EXTREMELY lucky dog to have you as a momma. Please please please please don’t blame yourself. Hang in there! (((((Big hugs from Cleveland)))))

158 Jenn (eating bender) August 3, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I am so, so sorry Meghann. This post was beautifully written and I can tell that Abbie was 100% loved throughout her life. She will be missed by all of us who read your blog and please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you during this time. Sending hugs your way – take it easy.

159 Melissa S. August 3, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Gorgeous post honey.

160 janetha August 3, 2009 at 1:31 pm

i really enjoyed this post. what a great way to remember your baby. <3

161 Kelly August 3, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Oh Meghann, my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine what you are feeling. I hope you find sollace in the fact that we are all there for you. {{{{{{Big Hugs}}}}}}

162 Kate August 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I have been reading your blog for months now and I’ve never left a comment. But today I just had to – please, please don’t blame yourself! You gave Abbie an incredible life!

163 Jess August 3, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Abbie! You wrote a beautiful tribute and it’s a great way to remember all the good times you had with her!

164 glidingcalm August 3, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Oh Meghann. I am so so sorry. That is soooo hard…and I know because I’ve been there. (Just a couple months ago I lost my kitty, Patches.) Let me know if you want someone to talk to.

Please don’t blame yourself either. You were an amazing owner- we all could see that, and you loved her with all your heart.

I am so sorry, but also here with you. Let yourself greive, and remember Abbie for the joy she brought into your life and you into hers.

165 harri004 August 3, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories with everyone. I know it must be so hard for you right now and you are very brave to share those emotions with everyone. Please don’t blame yourself for what has happened, you were trying to help and had no way of knowing how any of these medicines would work. I want to thank you for sharing the story in particular because my dog has the same problems. He did have fleas (and even after taking him to get a bath at the Vet he still has some) but like your Abbie he scratches himself all the time. His skin is very red and on this feet there are some bare batches. He has always been allergic to something in my house but I can never figure out what it can be. Usually I take him to the vet and they give him anitbiotics and it clears up but comes back eventually. He is about 3 1/2 years old. I’m not sure what is going on with him but if it weren’t for your story I may have just brushed his constant itching and redness off and joped it would just go away again. I am definately taking him to the vet soon and making sure it isn’t anything more serious. Thank you and Abbie for alerting me to problems I would never have even realized. My thoughts are with you and yours.

166 Courtney August 3, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I just had to leave you a comment and say I am so sorry for your loss. I also have a Jack Russell (I did an interview for Allison @ greendogwine and posted a picture of my JR) and love her like she is my child. They are such a unique breed with personalities like no other dog I have ever had.

I hope you find comfort in the wonderful memories you have with her.

167 Gina August 3, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Meghann- I am so, so sorry about your baby girl. I could tell by how you wrote about her how very important she is to you and how much joy she brought everyone around her. I am thinking of you and Abbie today and hoping that your beautiful memories of her give you strength right now. Hang in there!

Lots of love,

168 Amanda August 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm

As a reader of your blog who has never met you or Abbie, it has always been apparent how much the two of you meant to each other. You were such a wonderful mother to your little fur daughter, and it is so evident what a happy life she led!! I am so sorry for your loss and your sadness, and I hope that you find comfort in the fact that little Abbie is frolicking with my ( and hundreds of your blog readers) past pets :)

Hang in there!

169 Beverly August 3, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. As a dog parent myself, I cannot imagine what you must be going through. Please do not blame yourself, and be grateful for the time ya’ll spent together on Friday evening. Abbie is very loved, and very missed.

170 Bridget August 3, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Again I am so so so sorry about waht happened, and I would be feeling the exact same way! You were just doing whatever you could to try to keep her happy and out of pain and can’t blaim yourself! This brought tears to my eyes and I know how much you loved her. This is a hard time and you will get through it with your friends and family :) Hang in there!

171 Jerilynne August 3, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Meghann I am so so sorry for your loss… you are in my thoughts and prayers!!

172 Aly B. August 3, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Meghann, I love reading your blog. I’m recovering from 6 years of bulimia and it has been a huge step in my journey to healthful eating and life! That is why I am writing to say that you and your family are in my prayers, you have unknowingly done so much for me. Losing a pet is truly much like losing a family member. Especially as a young woman living on her own, a pet can be like your rock during lonesome times. My husband and I got a German Shepherd named Abby a few months ago and I always felt a connection with you! Love – Aly

173 Run Niki Run August 3, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Meghann, I’m so sorry you had to lose your Abbie!! Her passing is not your fault…you had her best interests in mind. Obviously she was a very loved dog, and you should take pride in knowing that she had a wonderful life while she was with you. She couldn’t have had a better non-furry mother. :)

174 elizabeth August 3, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I have been reading your blog for a while now and have never posted before. I am so sorry for the loss of Abbie. My family has 3 Jack Russels and they hold such a dear place in our hearts. They can be sweet and cuddly one minute and then little balls of fire the next. I think thats whats so great about the breed. Do not blame yourself for her passing. You were such a great owner and when most people would have put their dogs inhe kennel for a weekend, you brought Abbie and took her on some awesome trips. I pray that your pain eases and that you take comfort in knowing that Abbie is in a good place where there is unlimited chew toys and treats.

175 katie August 3, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I am so sorry. That is the worst feeling- wishing you could rewind. Your tribute to Abbie is truly touching. Your pictures show what a wonderful dog mom you have been to her and how happy she always was with you. You gave her everything she could ask for and more.

176 karla August 3, 2009 at 4:52 pm

i am so sorry for your loss. i cannot even imagine the pain that you are feeling. your tribute shows so many wonderful memories, and i hope that you are able to cherish those. most importantly, you gave abbie an amazing life filled with so many adventures and lots of love.

177 Quinn August 3, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Oh Meghann, I am so sorry. She had a wonderful two years with you, and I know you were the best dog mom she could ask for. Do NOT beat yourself up about it and consider what if’s. She knows you loved her, and I’m sure is having a grand time with the doggie celebrities up there – Lassie, Beethoven, Benji. I know it’s tough, and if you need anything, I’m an email away! Be strong girl.

178 Jessi August 3, 2009 at 5:07 pm

What a beautiful, beautiful tribute. My heart aches for your loss. Abbie had a wonderful life during her 2 – years with you.

179 whitneyinchicago August 3, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Meghann-I am so sorry for your loss.

180 Still Life in South America August 3, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Meghann, you were doing what any mother would do–taking care of your baby. Please don’t blame yourself or be hard on yourself. Any of us would have done the same thing to try to help her itching.

I’ve been thinking about your pain and I hope you are running and keeping busy to keep your mind at ease.

Sending you peace, my friend.

181 Vicky August 3, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. Abbie looked like she was bursting with love and personality. My thoughts are with you.

182 KatieMoo August 3, 2009 at 6:31 pm

My heart aches for you, Meghann. I can tell that Abbie was a very loved dog and that you were an amazing mommy. Hugs!

183 Allison K August 3, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Meghann,I am so sorry for you loss. Losing a pet truly is terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

184 eatingbirdfood August 3, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about Abbie. Pets become so close to us that it’s really hard when one passes away. My deepest sympathy goes out to you!!

185 Heather (be well & take care) August 3, 2009 at 7:19 pm

This brought me to tears. I’m so sorry to hear about Abbie. Lots of love to you!

186 April August 3, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Meghann… I’m so sorry! Please, please don’t think that it was your fault at all… everything happens for a reason! Tim and I love you, and you can pup-sit Jack anytime you want to! XOXO

187 April August 3, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss :( She’ll be waiting for you in puppy heaven!

188 Liz @ intheskinny August 3, 2009 at 9:25 pm

This is such a nice tribute to your dog. As hard as it is, don’t think it is your fault. We all want our pets to feel better when they are sick and trust the vets – no one would have thought this would have happened. I’m so sorry.

189 Alison August 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I’m so sorry! I wholeheartedly agree with what everyone else has said, and though this is sure to be a tough time know that thoughts and prayers are with you!!

190 caloriesdonthavefangs August 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about Abbie, Meghann. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. After having lost our pup (only 2 years old) unexpectantly just a little over a month ago, I know how hard it is.

191 Monica C. August 3, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my dog of 15 1/2 years two years ago – it was heartbreaking. Please know that Abbie was a lucky dog to have such a caring owner/best friend; her life was short, but she was blessed to have known true love!!!

192 Erin August 4, 2009 at 1:18 am

Oh Meghann. What a beautiful tribute to Abbie. I wish I could give you a hug. All my love to you girl.

193 kristen August 4, 2009 at 8:23 am

I’ve been off line for the weekend so I didn’t see this until now (and I don’t comment much, but I do read every day). I’m so sorry for your loss. You had no way of knowing…it is not your fault. (though i definitely understand if that’s the last thing you want to hear)

194 Sarah August 4, 2009 at 12:48 pm

i just stumbled upon your blog and read this post. I am crying my eyes out. I’m so sorry about the lost of your poochie. She was really cute and it looks like she was a really good friend to you :)

195 Sara August 4, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I have been following your blog for several weeks now and have tears in my eyes as I read abut your precious Abbie. I can’t imagine what you’re going through, but at the same time, I sympathize with your pain because I know that if something were to happen to my best friend, Max, my life would be shattered. It is obvious from your pictures that you gave her the best life a pooch could imagine. Chin-up solider … your days will get better :)

196 J August 5, 2009 at 10:13 am

This post brought tears to my eyes. My dog is also the center of my world and I can’t imagine what you’re going through right now. I’m so sorry for your loss.

197 Melinda August 7, 2009 at 5:11 pm

So sorry to hear abot Abby- I can’t even imagine what you are going through- My little doggie is my best friend too and I would be completely devastated. I’ll keep you in my prayers :)

198 Natalia@ The Health Script April 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I have not followed your blog long enough to know about Abbie, but I am so so very sorry that you had to go through that! If that had happened to me, I would have been a complete and utter mess full of regret. But from an outsiders perspective I can tell you that this was not your fault- you were only trying to help your baby, who knew it would end in this?
Natalia@ The Health Script recently posted..Im Back

199 Allison @ Happy Tales September 11, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Aw, I just read this post and I am soooo so sorry you experienced this. I know what you mean when you say “fur-daughter”… I call happy my “dog-ter” (I know, I’m so lame…haaa) all the time! Even Ryan calls her his dogter 😛

So yes, pets most definitely do become part of the family. Ugh, my heart hurts for you and Abbie but I see where you are now (sorry for being a stalker?) and it just goes to show that life (and the shitastic things that come with it… meh) happen for a reason.

200 diana@mymarblerye September 17, 2011 at 11:24 am

holy crap. I’m not a dog lover but this post made me tear up!
diana@mymarblerye recently posted..There’s A Difference…

201 Brittney October 3, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I am so sorry for your loss… I am sure that you still miss Abbie. I had to find this post today- I lost my dog this morning to cancer and I needed to read something from someone who I knew would understand! This was a beautiful post and I can see that Abbie was truly loved and spoiled rotten :) I started reading your blog not too long after you got Maddie… who is equally precious. Thank you for this post and sharing Abbie with us all!
Brittney recently posted..Remembering Jasmine

202 Sara@RunningInPinkProject October 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I know this is an older post but we are being told our Corgi might have cancer. My heart hurts for her. Im so very sorry you lost one of your fur babies. :(
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..To Eat or Not to Eat

203 Meghann October 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I’m so sorry Sara. :( I had to put my first dog down when I was in high school when we discovered he had stomach cancer. It never gets any easier. :(

204 Brittney May 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Meghann, I thought of you recently and thought you might like to know this for future reference. I got a puppy in October after my Sheltie passed away. Anyway, she also has allergies and itches a lot. Dogs can take benadryl. It’s 1 mg per pound of body weight. Piper is a dachshund, so there are breed similarities. Also would like to mention our other dachshund got stung by a bee and her ear got so swollen… we gave her the same dosage. And one more thing… with the itching, head and shoulders works really well! That’s the only thing I can bathe Piper in during this time of year. Just thought I would share incase Maddie ever had problems! I wouldn’t blame you for not wanting to give the same prescription. Hope this helps!