Hummus Disaster

by Meghann on July 31, 2009

Why do Fridays always have to drag on?

Yesterday went by so quick, but today the clock just can’t seem to move any faster. Come one weekend… Hurry Up!

Around 10:30 I busted out a snack of Peanuts and Craisins to nibble on while working.

DSCN3292

When it was finally time for lunch I was thankful for the time to get away from my desk. Why is it that one hour break always seems to speed by so much faster then any hours before it?

CIMG6921

I really just wanted a nice simple meal for lunch today. I was really craving hummus, but was very sad to discover the hummus I had been dreaming about had gone bad in my fridge. *sniff*sniff*

In a pinch I decided to just throw together a quick hummus of my own. I threw chickpeas, peppers, onion, tomato chutney and a little olive oil in the food processor and let it whirl.

CIMG6922

Hmmm…. definitely not my best creation. The over all taste was very blah and not satisfying at all. Boooo…. As I hate to waste food I ate it anyways, but I was not happy about it. 🙁

Surrounding the hummus I had Zucchini, Yellow Squash, & wedges of Lavash bread.

CIMG6929

I also threw in a pickle and two garlic stuffed olives for good measure. 😉

CIMG6928

I enjoyed the olives more then the hummus.

——-

Derek saw the free showing of Food Inc in Tampa last night. For some reason I always find the male perspective on this film so fascinating. In fact when any of my female friends saw the movie with their significant others I would skim the part where they gave their opinion and got to the part where they revealed what the significant other had to say.

I know you guys may be tired of hearing about Food, Inc already, but I have asked Derek to write up his own review of the film for the blog. Hopefully many of you are just as interested in the male’s point of view as I am.

1 Tay July 31, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Sorry about your hummus disaster, but at least you were creative enough to whip up your own! I would’ve just given up and moved on to something else for lunch! haha

2 Whit July 31, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I am always interested in a man’s point of view. Blog away, Derek!

3 Rosey Rebecca July 31, 2009 at 2:05 pm

The hummus looks good! Sorry it didn’t turn out well. I’m excited to hear Derek’s perspective on Food, Inc! 🙂

4 Stacey July 31, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Haha, did you make the olives and pickle into a sad face on purpose! Aw! 🙁

5 Kristen July 31, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Your olives and pickles made a sad face. I think they were mourning the loss of the hummus!

6 Ada July 31, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I’m sorry about your hummus:( It certainly looks good though, you totally fooled me!

7 leslie July 31, 2009 at 2:18 pm

your hummus sounded like it had potential! maybe it just needed some spice? or a little salt?

i’m really interested in a male perspective on food, inc. thanks for asking derek to write about it for us!

8 meg July 31, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I hate when i am craving something and it doesn’t turn out right. It doesn’t look that bad.

9 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 31, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Both my mom and I have tried making our own hummus, and neither one turned out well. I’ll have to stick with Sabra!

10 Sarah July 31, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Oh! I can’t wait to read Derek’s perspective. I took my husband to see it and although he’s not ready to go vegetarian, he is much more open to buying local/organic now that he was before. Food was food to him before and he didn’t really care where it came from as long as it tasted good. I think the movie really changed his opinion in that regard.

Sorry your hummus was a bust! Sounds like it needed a little salt and pepper maybe. It’s always surprising what just a pinch of salt can do.

11 Anne P July 31, 2009 at 2:53 pm

That’s so funny that Derek was there too and Jenna and I didn’t see him! I’m interested to read what he thought of it 🙂

12 runnerskitchen July 31, 2009 at 2:58 pm

My boyfriend is a total meat & potatoes (and candy!!) kind of guy so I was very surprised at how much Food, Inc affected him. After the movie we were looking for dinner and we had to go to 4 different places before we found a restaurant that served organic meat/veggie options. He still won’t eat regular burgers!

13 Kiki (Run Kiki Run) July 31, 2009 at 3:04 pm

try making hummus again, the homemade version is so much better than the bought one, im sure u’ll soon find the perfect ingredients balance. I use: chickpeas, tahimi (or sesame, olive oil, garlic, salt. Some people also use paprika or even cinnamon on it – i dont like those that much. Have a go and let me know!

x

14 Julie July 31, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Interesting, I’d love to read Derek’s review. Men are such “meat and potatoes” that I wonder how the movie changes their perspective.

15 tlconrad July 31, 2009 at 3:19 pm

i tried to make hummus one day and it was grosstastic. i will just buy it from now on.

i ate a couple olives the other day and then about 2 hours later i went for a walk, not a run, and note to self… do not eat olives before working out… i was having uncomfortable times in my tummy and i kept tasting the olives… ewww…

anywho, love the pickles as usual!

TLC

16 nutritionbyeve July 31, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I’m very curious to hear what he has to say!

17 amanda July 31, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I am def interested becuz men eat anything and everything!!!!!! haha

18 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 31, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Yup, I too want to hear Derek’s opinion.

19 Emily S July 31, 2009 at 4:21 pm

What a good idea, I’m excited to hear a guys point of view on the movie!

20 Jennifer@ His N' Her Health July 31, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I am curious as to what Derek thought. I saw it with my BF and I wanted to talk about it after, but he didn’t say much. However he doesn’t eat much meat (at home) and we already buy organic fruits/veggies. He did say he was going to buy organic meat though.

21 Susan July 31, 2009 at 4:59 pm

The secret ingredient to great humus = garlic 😀 Maybe it’s just me, but I luuuurve a garlicky hummus (or garlicky anything, good thing I chew a lot of mint gum).

Of course I’m interested in hearing Derek’s opinion! My small city is never going to have a showing that film, so I’ll take all the reviews I can get until it comes out on DVD 😉

22 Rebeca July 31, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Maybe it’s because all the “healthy living” blogs I read are written by women but I have this skewed perspective that women are more concerned about what goes in + balancing that with exercise…while “healthy guys” are more of the workout types… so I can’t wait to read Derek’s review!

That’s exactly why I won’t make my own hummus, I’m worried it won’t turn out :/

23 Matt July 31, 2009 at 5:27 pm

That hummus needs tahini!

24 papayafish July 31, 2009 at 5:37 pm

i always keep tahini in the fridge for hummus emergencies just like this one!! that is an absolute MUST!

25 Kim July 31, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I can’t wait to hear your man’s review. So many men are too set in their ways to even be receptive to new points of view, but Derek seems pretty thoughtful and open-minded — I bet he’ll have good feedback! (no pressure there, Derek 😉

26 ana July 31, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Aww sorry about the hummus! I love hummus but I’m from Mexico and it’s not popular at all 🙁 so sad

Sometimes I can find Sabra at Sam’s club but it cost like 7 dollars so I tried to make hummus and the result was terrible! It tasted so bad lol 🙂

27 katie s July 31, 2009 at 7:00 pm

So cool, I’m interested in hearing his opinion for sure!!!

28 MarathonVal July 31, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I love adding a splash of lemon juice to homemade hummus – maybe that will help?

29 hmmm July 31, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I don’t understand why you’re curious about a “male” perspective on a movie about food. Are you referring to the stereotype that men are not as concerned about health? I’m a guy. I eat healthy. I eat healthier than a lot of women. Shouldn’t you be more concerned about the perspective of someone who tries to eat healthy foods vs someone who doesn’t or simply isn’t as concerned?

30 Meghann July 31, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Finally someone points out my double standard. I was waiting for someone to say something. I guess that just goes to show even more the readership of my blog is mainly women or mean too shy to step out and say something. Good for you for mentioning it. 🙂

If you have seen Food Inc I would love to hear your opinion either way.

31 Jess August 3, 2009 at 9:48 am

Hummus needed tahini and a squeeze of half a fresh lemon! The lemon really helps 🙂

32 Natalie M. August 4, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I finally caught Food Inc. last Tuesday with my sorority sister and we both thought it was great! I haven’t shut up about it since… looking forward to Derek’s perspective