Cantaloupe Bowl

by Meghann on July 30, 2009

I had a few to dos to accomplish around the apartment this morning. In order to give myself plenty of time to complete the tasks I busted out level 2 of the 30 Day Shred as soon as I woke up at 5:30. I was done with the DVD by 6:00am, padding myself with a good hour of free time.

The padded time allowed me to have a nice leisurely morning as opposed to my normal rushed routine. I even had about 10 minutes to solely relax on the couch watching the Today Show with Abbie in my lap. It was very peaceful yet strange at the same time.

I’m not really a sit on the couch and relax kind of person. Though it is nice once in a blue moon, I much prefer the usual go-go aspect of my left. Is that strange? I think I had ADD or something.

As I had plenty of time I also ate my breakfast way earlier then normal. When no distractions are involved I become very impatient for food.

DSCN3238

Lately I have seen the concept of the cantaloupe bowl popping up around the blogosphere and as with every eye catching new thing, I knew I had to give the concept a try.

DSCN3239

I filled 1/2 a cantaloupe with Blueberry Oikos then topped it with Good Run Cashew Granola, Naturally Nutty Vanilla Almond Butter and Ground Flax Seed.

DSCN3243

Yum!!! This method of eating cantaloupe rocked! The blueberry yogurt complimented the cantaloupe nicely while the granola added a great crunch. It was a fun and new way to eat breakfast. If you like cantaloupe I would suggest giving it a shot!

Can you think of any other fun fruit that can substitute a bowl?

It’s not a fruit but I have had soup in an acorn squash ‘bowl’ before and Loved It! 🙂

1 Suzanne July 30, 2009 at 8:39 am

You know I’m the same way! My LSAT class was cancelled last night and as much as I say I crave having free time, I didn’t know what to do with myself! I much prefer to be kept busy! If you like cottage cheese, filling a cantoloupe with it is delicious 🙂

2 biz319 July 30, 2009 at 8:59 am

Meghann – you were my inspiration – I made muffins this morning! I too, had an hour to myself this morning and loved it!

I typically sleep as long as possible 😀

Happy Thursday (and hopefully my Friday!)

3 Jamie in Arkansas July 30, 2009 at 9:01 am

Meghann,
I love using cantaloupe for a bowl! I usually put cottage cheese, yogurt, fresh blueberries, granola and flax in mine. The cottage cheese gives an extra protein punch and is great with the yogurt!

4 caitlin July 30, 2009 at 9:21 am

i made a bowl out of an onion once! it was awesome but kath hated it. LOL

5 Erica July 30, 2009 at 9:26 am

I love eating cantaloupe like this! So sweet- sooo delicious 🙂 I had some after my din din last night. Glad you had a nice relaxing am. I have go go go impulses too! I rarely am JUST sitting and watching tv/relaxing.

6 greenbean July 30, 2009 at 9:43 am

a honey dew would do!

7 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 30, 2009 at 9:43 am

canteloupe bowls are the best! Watermelon bowls are pretty great, too! 😉

8 Courtney July 30, 2009 at 9:50 am

A baked apple can be a kind of a “bowl” for the brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped pecans! mmmm

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

9 Carolyn July 30, 2009 at 9:55 am

I’m gonna have to try that cantaloupe bowl soon! I could always use one less dish to wash. 🙂

Free Pirutein protein mix giveaway at: http://healthyskinny.blogspot.com

10 loveprevails July 30, 2009 at 9:58 am

Waternelon! I’ve actually made Watermelon slushies and they are really good and refreshing! 🙂

11 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) July 30, 2009 at 10:06 am

Your cantaloupe looks fantastic!

I love having spare time between an AM workout and work/school/whatever. Nothing better!

12 Becci July 30, 2009 at 10:13 am

I would never have thought to do yogurt, granola and nut butter in a cantalope! I have only ever seen cottage cheese filled melons! ***Need to go to the store and get one!***

13 Erin July 30, 2009 at 10:15 am

I need to try this — it looks delish. Plus, fewer dishes to do!

14 Susan July 30, 2009 at 10:38 am

Ha, we’re like exact opposites. I’m a totaly chill out on the couch type person. I always get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning just so I have time to relax and waste time while eating breakfast 🙂

LOVE cantaloupe bowls! I always put cottage cheese in the centre 🙂

15 greenbean July 30, 2009 at 1:42 pm

my friends used to make fun of me in college for this. i would get up an hour early just to lay around and watch tv. glad i’m not the only one!

16 Jess July 30, 2009 at 10:41 am

that’s a great idea!
i’ve once eaten a salad (as an apetizer) out of a large pink grapefruit. it contained shrimp, chicory, pieces of grapefruit, apple and some dressing. was nice too!!! i’m going to buy a cantaloupe next week 🙂

17 Whit July 30, 2009 at 10:43 am

Cantaloupe bowls are the new Amazing Grass…once again I am behind the trend. Must get on that train.

18 AshleyP July 30, 2009 at 10:47 am

For Thanksgiving, my family always has mashed sweet potatoes in cut out oranges, so yummy!!

19 HelpMeghanRun July 30, 2009 at 11:10 am

I always get up earlier than I need to so I can have extra time in the morning and savor my breakfast for a good 20 minutes. 🙂 An almost-empty jar of almond butter is my favorite vehicle for any breakfast!

20 Chocolate Shoestrings July 30, 2009 at 11:12 am

pineapple!!!!

21 Yasmin July 30, 2009 at 11:24 am

I’m glad the cantaloupe bowl is catching on. I thought I was the only one doing it. I add yogurt, blueberries, and crushed walnuts. mmmm

22 fitforfree July 30, 2009 at 11:26 am

I love having 1/2 c. of a bean or tempeh dish inside 1/2 an avocado “bowl” 🙂

23 Mandy A July 30, 2009 at 11:28 am

we just got a huge cantaloupe in our CSA delivery last night! We split it with my in-laws… I don’t eat cantaloupe.. but will definitely suggest this to my hubby 🙂

24 Amanda July 30, 2009 at 11:37 am

Not a fruit, but I love to make stuffed peppers. Last time I filled them with a mixture of cous cous, onion, cherry tomatoes, peas, shrimp, and topped with feta. YUMM

25 Andee (Runtolive) July 30, 2009 at 11:40 am

I am totally the same way about watching TV. I watch all my favorite shows on the elliptical at the gym because I can’t stand just sitting there and doing nothing. Or I’ll bust out the hula hoop at home lol. I love making mixed drinks in a carved out watermelon bowl. I puree the watermelon balls with some lime, ice, and a couple shots of vodka and serve it all in the same watermelon! It’s an awesome drink when you’re having friends over

26 Holly July 30, 2009 at 11:45 am

Ooooh that looks awesome!

I am totally the same as you. I feel better being on the go-go-go. I freak out with too much free time!!

27 Matt July 30, 2009 at 11:49 am

I have to take some time everyday just to relax. I can’t function without that “me” time.

28 Deva July 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

It’s technically a squash, but small pie pumpkins can make great bowls for soups or oats, just scrape in the pumpkin as you eat. Peppers are good bowls too 🙂

29 papayafish July 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Cut an apple in half, dig out the core (yes, this is a little difficult…), and add a scoop of PB & a tiny piece of dark chocolate into the “bowl”. Top with cinnamon & throw it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. SO GOOD!

Red bell peppers or Tomatoes also make good “bowls” for stuffing with rice pilaf!

30 krittie July 30, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I think that papaya would work pretty well, there are so many items you could use to boost the tropical flavor!
I have also used pears with peanut butter oats in the middle (this is my favorite), apples with yogurt, cinnamon and raisins are a good one too!

I wonder if Peaches would work well with anything….. 🙂

31 Michelle July 30, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Mmm what a great idea! I’ll have to give that a shot; it looks tasty!

Oh, and you totally inspired me to invite my Mom on a movie date with me tonight to see The Ugly Truth! 🙂

32 Julia July 30, 2009 at 1:24 pm

The Vanilla Almond Butter is my favorite!

Cantaloupes are buy one get one free at the store this week, maybe I’ll have to try this!

33 Julia July 30, 2009 at 1:32 pm

What a great idea using the cantaloupe as a bowl! I’ve gotta try that soon!

34 Rosey Rebecca July 30, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Honey Dew might work as a really great bowl!! I need to try this soon! Possibly tomorrow!

35 Ashley July 30, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Hello!
Do you snack before your AM workouts? Whether shred or run? I know its partially preference, partially what works for the individual, but I was just curious, esp. when you do your long runs. Thanks and have a great day.

36 Elina July 30, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Ooh, I haven’t seen this cantaloupe bowl idea. Looks amazing! Now I’m regretting cutting up a cantaloupe yesterday. I guess there will always be another one 🙂

37 Jenna July 30, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Oh wow that is sucha great idea, never would have thought of it!

Well just last Sunday I actually made a fruit bowl filled with watermelon cubes and grapes. I bought a fresh watermelon and shaped it like a basket and put the fruits into it. Everyone absolutely loved the idea!!

Look at the pic on my blog 🙂

38 Tay July 30, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I LOVE to use honeydew as a bowl with cottage cheese!

{ 1 trackback }