A Single Mile PR

by Meghann on July 30, 2009

Tonight I was reminded yet again why I am a distance runner and not a sprinter.

A full marathon in 4:29:46? … pshhh… no probs

A sub 2 hour half marathon? You’ve got it!

A leisurely 8 mile run before work? Bring it on!

Sprinting a 1 miler after work? ….. Ahhhh…. I think I was huffing and puffing more then when I finished my marathon!

My nerves were on edge all day knowing what I had in store for me after work!

On Monday I had e-mailed my Sister to see if she was up for a one mile race this week. I was feeling speedy and wanted to see how fast I could run a mile. The last time I presented my self with the same challenge, my time was well over 8:00 minutes and I knew I could beat the now.

For some reason sprinting short distances scare me! I don’t think people understand how much harder it is to speed out 1 mile then to casually run 10! However, I was itching to set a new PR. πŸ˜‰

Before I met Kelly I fueled up with two of my Blueberry Chia Muffins while at work.

DSCN3253.JPG

These muffins were still very moist. Love, Love, Love this recipe!

I met Kelly at Baldwin Park and was happy to see she was just as nervous as me to run the single mile! We warmed up by jogging a half mile around the park and then stalled at our starting line.

Finally we ran out of excuses and just took off.

And took off we did!

My first quarter mile was at a sub – 6:00 minute pace! I pretty much kept my eye on my garmin the whole time. For being a fast mile it felt like the longest of my life.

I felt like my chest was going to slow as my breathing got heavy. I tried not to concentrate on the pain and just pushed through.

Kelly and I stayed neck and neck for the first .75 of the mile, but when she started to pull ahead I couldn’t keep up. I let her have the few seconds lead and concentrated on finishing the full mile.

At 6:49 into the run I hit the mile mark and came to a stop.

6:49?!?!?!? Woo hooo!!!!!

Of course I felt like death when I finished, but I was ecstatic to finish at 6:49! That’s the fastest I have ever timed myself at running a mile. Yay!!

Kelly and I jogged and walked another mile while discussing how happy we were with our times and how far we’ve come in running.

I can’t wait to start training for Disney. We are going to rock it!!!

DSCN3266.JPG DSCN3268.JPG

After the run we pulled out the picnic lunch we had packed.

DSCN3270.JPG

What do you think of my ghetto cooler?

DSCN3264.JPG

A cardboard box lined with a trash bag. Hey, it got the job done! πŸ™‚

I made the spring rolls. Just veggies for Kelly and veggies and shrimp for me.

DSCN3273.JPG

Megan gave me some rice wrappers last night that I knew I instantly had to try.

DSCN3258.JPG

Before I met kelly I had soaked each wrap in a pot of warm water for 30 seconds.

DSCN3260.JPG

I then filled a corner of the wrapper with Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Shredded Carrot, Avocado, Mushroom, Spinach and Shrimp for me. And folded in a diagonal direction.

DSCN3257.JPG

For a dipping sauce I mixed

• Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Soy Sauce
  • Low Sugar Apricot Preserves
  • Ground Ginger
  • Garlic Salt
  • Sesame Oil
  • Red Pepper Flakes

DSCN3263.JPG

If you’re looking to make a great asian style dipping sauce I would highly suggest the combo of apricot preserves & soy sauce. This sauce was perfect!

DSCN3277.JPG

The spring rolls were great and very filling!

DSCN3276.JPG

Kelly brought a community bowl of fruit salad that we ate about 3/4s of.

DSCN3272.JPG

For dessert Kelly and I split one of Amanda’s Brownies.

DSCN3279.JPG

Yum! I made sure to finish every crumb.

DSCN3281.JPG

It was really fun to meet Kelly for a mid-week run and picnic. We really need to do this more often. I suggested sprinting a mile together each week and we both laughed at that one. Sprinting a mile is just wayyyyy to hard for me. lol

So how about you? Do you prefer running speedier shorter runs or leisurely longer runs?

1 Jen July 30, 2009 at 9:42 pm

How inspirational! I’ve never really even thought to sprint — even races I run, I’m just happy to finish!

I’ve been seriously thinking about training for a half marathon soon but I do like the idea of, along the way, challenging friends to a 1 mile race.

You look great!

2 Jojo July 30, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Congrats on your awesome time!

What race are you running at Disney? My crazy boyfriend is running the Goofy Challenge!

3 Kate July 30, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Nice work! If you can run that sort of pace, this calculator says you could run a BQ marathon!

4 Kate July 30, 2009 at 9:57 pm

My blog link was wrong above πŸ™

5 HelpMeghanRun July 30, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I’m training for a half, but I might need to try a mile and see how fast I could do it. I bet it wouldn’t be very fast πŸ˜‰

6 Pam July 30, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Wow! I’m impressed you sprinted a whole mile! I feel like my chest is going to burst when I sprint more than a couple of blocks. I’m definitely more of a leisurely runner – although I’m just beginning!

7 catiechurch July 30, 2009 at 10:01 pm

That is awesome! I am a total short distance runner. I am amazed that you guys are able to run such long distances. I was in track in high school and I would rather run a 200 meter then a mile or more. haha

8 Marissa July 30, 2009 at 10:04 pm

That is so great!!!!

9 Beth July 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm

I’d much rather run long and hard than run fast. Ugh. And apparently 10Ks just aren’t cutting it for me anymore…I’m doing my first triathlon at the end of August, and then I’ve got my eye on a half marathon!

Great job on the mile today. πŸ™‚

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Wow great job!!!

I love doing speed training. I was donig the army 2 mile fitness test on my treadmill shortly before I got injured in the winter though, so I’m really scared to do it again!

11 Taylor Leigh July 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm

You guys are so cute, having a little picnic!

I agree with you, sprinting is hard! I think sometimes 5k’s are harder then 15k’s! B/c in the 5k your trying to run your fastest!

12 tiponz July 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm

slower and longer!!! and i do love to do 5ks!

13 MegaNerd July 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Bahaha that pic of you eating the crumbs made me LOL. πŸ˜€
Great job on the mile!

How did the spring rolls turn out? I think i soaked mine for too long actually now that I see the texture of yours.

14 Andee (Runtolive) July 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I agree with you, I don’t enjoy doing very fast runs but that was the only way for me to improve my racing time. When I first started doing speed workouts, it killed me, but gradually I was able to hold a 7/min pace for a couple miles until it felt comfortable. Keep at it! Eventually your body will adjust and running that fast won’t seem as taxing on your body

15 MegaNerd July 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm

lol yeah… 30 sec i think i soaked them for like 10 mins… oops

16 Rosey Rebecca July 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Wow! I think I would die if I tried to sprint a mile!! Your picnic looks fabulous and so creative!!

17 Island Girl Eats July 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I am more into the longer runs. I always feel like I am about to be sick when I sprint too fast!

18 Whit July 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Long runs for sure, but you rocked that mile. Kind of makes me want to sprint a mile just for the heck of it. I am not 6:49, that is totes fo’ sho’. Congrats!

19 Tay July 30, 2009 at 11:05 pm

OMG I’m totally a long distance type of gal. Sprint isn’t even in my vocabulary! My normal run pace was almost the exact same as my half marathon pace and my marathon pace. 5k’s are ridiculously hard!!

20 Michaela July 30, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Long and leisurely for sure. Aww, you guys make me miss my sister πŸ™ We’re about 9 hours away from each other

21 Julie July 30, 2009 at 11:42 pm

How did you build so much endurance to run a full marathon?!?!

I am working on building my endurance!! How did you do it!?

22 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health July 30, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Congrats on the fast mile!! I love the ghetto cooler. I totally used to do that back in the day, but it was filled with beer LOL.

23 Rebeca July 30, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Can leisurely short runs be an option πŸ˜‰ Jk… definitely a longer, leisurely, enjoy the scenery kind of thing πŸ™‚

Loooooove the cooler!

24 Melissa S. July 31, 2009 at 12:19 am

such a great run!!! good job!!!

it was great talking on the phone today too! must catch up soon again!

25 Kim July 31, 2009 at 12:23 am

I’m naturally a pretty fast sprinter, while my sister is SO much better at long distances. Sprinting an entire mile, though? In the summer heat? A-mazing!

26 Rachel July 31, 2009 at 12:32 am

Great job on the mile Meghann!! Have you ever considered making speedwork a part of your weekly routine? I ran distance track and cc in high school and we frequently did workouts like mile repeats to improve our longer race times. Just a thought!! If you’d ever like more info about different types of speed/interval workouts, let me know!

27 Annamarina July 31, 2009 at 12:59 am

Wow, that is a pretty amazing time for the mile! I’m currently training for a marathon at a very slow pace, and I definitely agree that running long distances slowly is much easier than a short sprint. I do need to start adding some speedwork into my runs though…so thanks for motivating me!

28 Megan July 31, 2009 at 1:34 am

In high school, two-milers were my “long runs.” I could run a 5 1/2 minute mile in those days though! Now I much prefer long runs! I don’t think I could have ran a 1/2 marathon in high school even though my high school self would kick my current self’s booty in a mile sprint!

I ran a mile sprint in October-ish in right around 6 minutes and thought I was going.to.die!

29 JuicyJessy July 31, 2009 at 1:53 am

oooh that’s just too cool! congrats on your reaallllyyy fast mile πŸ™‚ I have no idea how fast I can run a mile πŸ™‚ Gonna try it one day πŸ™‚
I sure wish I had a sister or friend with whom I could do stuff like this!!!! Treasure that friendship! It’s rare!

30 Jess July 31, 2009 at 4:12 am

I totally want to try running a mile because I don’t know if I’ve ever timed myself. I think I can run around a 4 min km but a mile is a lot longer and I’d be surprised if I could sub-7min it. Do you do speed workouts? I run my 400m speed intervals at about 7min/mile pace and they’ve really helped me increase my speed on longer runs.

To answer your question, generally I prefer the long runs but there’s something exhilarating about a short, hard run. I don’t think I’m built for speed but then my knees aren’t built for distance so it’s a toss-up πŸ˜‰

31 tami July 31, 2009 at 4:45 am

how do you see your pace and the distance traveled on the garmin at the same time? i just got the new fr60 and i haven’t figured it out yet (not sure it’s even possible on my watch)

32 Emily July 31, 2009 at 7:02 am

Great job on your mile time! That’s awesome, Meghann!

The spring rolls and fruit salad look so delish. Perfect summer picnic, even in a ghetto cooler. πŸ™‚

33 nutritionbyeve July 31, 2009 at 7:04 am

Sprinting is hard – awesome job on your time!! It’s especially difficult when you’re used to doing long distances. In high school I ran the 800 meter race (1/2 mile) and absolutely loved it. I used to run it in 2:30 – crazy! That’s a 5 minute mile. Don’t think I could do that now πŸ™‚

34 Lauren July 31, 2009 at 7:15 am

I’m with you, I ususally only focus on longer distance and tempo runs. I get so routined that when I do speed work (like a 5k) I forgot how hard it is. I think to myself, “Oh, 3 miles, that’s nothing” but then when I finish, I am almost dying!

Sounds like you guys had such a wonderful evening. You two are so cute and I love that you have such a wonderful relationship with you sis.

Oh, Meghann! I have to share a recipe with you for Apricot Tofu Stir Fry! If you like the combo of Apricot and Soy sauce, this recipe will rock your world.
Please check this one out, you will LOVE it!!

35 leslie July 31, 2009 at 7:17 am

amazing time!! i am seriously impressed, that’s unbelievable. it’s wonderful how running keeps giving back to you with so many different achievements. πŸ™‚

36 caitlin July 31, 2009 at 8:02 am

hahah great last picture! i love it!

you guys are going to crush me at disney.

37 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 31, 2009 at 8:03 am

That’s amazing Meghann! This past year I learned that short distances are NOT for me though. My college had a fun run competition to earn house points – so I ran the race for my house (it was about 1.7 miles only), and actually did GREAT, but omg, afterwards, I was coughing, blowing my nose, and sneezing all day long. The sprinting caused me to have a major allergic reaction to I guess the pollen in the air and I couldn’t breathe for about 2 days! Terrible! I’m definitely a Long distance runner over short!!

38 kath July 31, 2009 at 8:14 am

6:49 is absolutely incredible!!!!!! I ran 7:26 A few years ago and almost died.

39 inmytummy July 31, 2009 at 8:28 am

That’s awesome! I prefer leisurely long runs but I know that I really should do some shorter speedy runs to increase my speed overall.

40 Paige July 31, 2009 at 8:36 am

I love long runs!!! My husband and I go to the track at least once a week for speed workouts though. I look forward to the track workouts too, because I like to push myself and see what I can do. Challenge is good!

41 Hangry Pants July 31, 2009 at 8:51 am

I would die. Seriously. Awesome work girl!

42 caronae July 31, 2009 at 9:17 am

OMG you are so right — ten easy miles is much nicer than one sprinted mile!

43 Carolyn July 31, 2009 at 9:24 am

Congrats on a great sprint!

Free Spirutein giveaway at: http://healthyskinny.blogspot.com/! Ends at 12PM EST today.

44 Allison July 31, 2009 at 9:48 am

you girls are crazy! 6:49????????? love it!

nice job lady!

45 Andrea (Off Her Cork) July 31, 2009 at 10:18 am

Wooot! Great job guys! πŸ˜€ You just totally blew my mind because that’s crazah fast!

46 Andrea @ FitHealthyFun July 31, 2009 at 1:09 pm

You girls are awesome! I’m a long run fan myself, but you’ve inspired me to hit the track and get speedy!

47 Susan July 31, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Bahaha, those pics of you and your sis are too funny! Sounds like we are opposites again, I much prefer a short and speedy run to a long one. I think I’m just better built for it πŸ™‚

I’m making spring rolls tonight!! Wish I had that dipping sauce recipe before I bought bottled stuff πŸ™

48 kirsten July 31, 2009 at 4:06 pm

definitely leisurely longer runs, sprinting killssss me. Awesome job on the 6min 49 second mile!!

49 Jenna July 31, 2009 at 5:53 pm

long runs for sureeeeee!

50 Averie August 1, 2009 at 3:23 am

Your spring rolls look awesome….I don’t know why I have never made these before. Duh! Thanks for the inspiration to go find rice wrappers! Hopefully I can find them at TJ’s and don’t have to overpay at WF.

51 Zelda February 28, 2010 at 7:30 pm

In middle school, I ran track, and my best time was 6:16! The longest race in track was the two mile. The best I got was 2nd place. (: It is very hard!

I’m just curious- is running 10 miles slow really easier than sprinting one? I’m looking to running a 10k this summer, even though that is 6 miles, the most I’ve ran without stopping is about 4.