Wealth of Information

by Meghann on July 29, 2009

I have always found my fellow bloggers to be a great wealth of information.

This morning I passed along Mica’s pre-made batter trick with muffins, but the things I learn some times go beyond food. For instance lately I have been enjoying Quinn’s daily money saving tidbits. Yesterday she shared a 30% off coupon good for Old Navy, Gap or Banana Republic this weekend and today she blogged about a free movie screening site called Film Metro.

Here’s what she said:

Bargain Tip of the Day: Want to catch a free flick when it premieres in the theater? Head over to www.filmmetro.com to see what movies are being screened in YOUR area and how you can score free passes to see them. With movie prices skyrocketing, this could make $40 date night a free event! And you know what that means – more cash for dinner or the outfit you’ll be wearing 🙂

Of course I checked out the site right away and discovered (500) Days of Summer was playing at the theater down the street for free tonight. SCORE!

DSCN3227.JPG

I knew my friend Megan has been feeling a little down lately so I invited her along and made dinner for us before hand.

Gazpacho soup has been on my mind since I enjoyed it so much this past weekend at The Columbia. I am always inspired to recreate dishes I fall in love with at restaurants and Gena’s recipe for Gazpacho seemed so simple and delicious.

I broke out the blender after I completed my daily dose of Jillian’s 30 Day shred and got to work making the cold summer soup. I doubled the recipe, but accidentally added too much apple cider vinegar. I tried to balance the soup by adding extra tomato, avocado, pepper and onion, but it still ha a heavy vinegar taste. Oh well. We ate it anyways

DSCN3225.JPG

I topped my serving of Gazpacho with homemade croutons, pepper, onion and walnuts. The toppings really helped take the vinegar edge off the soup.

With the soup we had a platter of cheese and crackers to split between us.

DSCN3222.JPG

After dinner we rushed to the theatre to make the movie, but I had a serious craving for Starbuck’s Passion Fruit Tea and made a mini detour to the nearest Starbucks. Unfortunately by the time we made it to the theater the movie was full! They provide ore tickets then there are seats to ensure a full theater. Dratz!

Since we had driven all the way, Megan and I decided to see the Ugly Truth instead.

Such a hilarious movie!! It was worth missing the free movie to pay for this one. I can’t remember the last time I laughed that hard. If you are looking for a raunchy romantic comedy I would highly recommend it!

I snuck into the theater 1/2 of one of Amanda’s Trail Mix Blondies to nibble on during the movie.

DSCN3231.JPG

It was the perfect movie treat. 🙂

This afternoon before I left work I had one of TJ’s individual servings of Trail Mix.

DSCN3217.JPG

And with that it is officially past my bed time. Good night everyone!

1 MegaNerd July 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for inviting me 😀 and for making me a delicious dinner!

2 Jenna July 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

The Ugly Truth was wicked funny! I just saw it last Friday with my two best girlfriends 🙂

3 Mandy A July 29, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Sounds like a good time… and a good dinner, regardless! 🙂

And thank you for sharing Quinn’s site… awesome!

4 HelpMeghanRun July 29, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Glad to hear it’s good! I’ve been really wanting to see both of those movies.

5 Mica July 29, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Thanks for the film metro tip! I was actually wondering how I could see more movie premieres.

6 Christina July 29, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Sorry about the gazpacho :/ I hate when something I take time to make doesn’t turn out right! On the other hand, that blondie looks phenomenal – I want one!

7 Rosey Rebecca July 30, 2009 at 12:10 am

I’ve made small cooking mistakes like that before!! I want to see that movie!! Glad you had a great night!

8 MarathonVal July 30, 2009 at 12:19 am

Thanks for the movie tip!! Love that!! I know kerasotes has a $5 deal for 2 week old movies too which is worth checking out on their website, but unfortunately I don’t have any of those theatres by me.

9 broccolihut July 30, 2009 at 12:43 am

Mmm Passion tea is my fave flavor!

10 Lauren July 30, 2009 at 7:08 am

You are such a sweet friend! I am sure she was so thrilled to have a great person like you to cheer her up with a yummy dinner and some sweet treats!

The Ugly Truth was great, right? I’m not really sure why it got such bad reviews….I loved it! 🙂

Hope you have a wonderful day beautiful girl.

11 Allie Katie July 30, 2009 at 8:09 am

I love bringing my own food into movies–it is always better and ALWAYS cheaper than movie theater food! I’ve been spoiled because my little bro has worked at a movie theater for a couple years and so I always got free family passes–but he quit last week so that money saving maneuver is over! Bummer!

12 caitlin July 30, 2009 at 8:18 am

sounds like a really fun evening 🙂 🙂 i cant wait to spend some QT with you soon!!!

13 Matt July 30, 2009 at 8:27 am

Great idea about the free movies! I will check that out!

14 Quinn July 30, 2009 at 9:13 am

Thanks for the shout out! Sorry you missed the free movie – but it sounds like the one for $$$ was good too! Guess wee all know now to get to those things early! Happy Thursday!

15 Carolyn July 30, 2009 at 9:46 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the free movie site. I am now going to see 500 Days of Summer for free next Tuesday!

Free Spirutein giveaway at: http://healthyskinny.blogspot.com/

16 loveprevails July 30, 2009 at 10:05 am

what a good find on the free tickets and the tip about Ugly Truth is great because the boy is coming down to see me Wednesday and I really wanted to find a good movie out there to go too 🙂

17 RunToFinish July 30, 2009 at 10:12 am

aw what a great post! it’s so true that i’ve learned a ton from all these great people!

18 Allison July 30, 2009 at 10:13 am

I love Quinn’s tip – she’s so street smart sometimes 🙂

19 Whit July 30, 2009 at 10:33 am

Fun night! I loved the Ugly Truth, so ridic raunchy. A good time all around.

20 Carrie July 30, 2009 at 10:38 am

Just a tip for those seeing free movies: always, ALWAYS get there really early. Bring a froyo and a friend for the line so it isn’t so boring. 😉 I used to go to these all the time and I learned that if you don’t get there early, you don’t get a free movie. 🙁

21 Andee (Runtolive) July 30, 2009 at 11:46 am

Thanks for the tip! I just signed up for the free screenings. I have been meaning to make chilled tomato and shrimp gazpacho for a while now