Fresh Baked Muffins

by Meghann on July 29, 2009

In order to prevent injury I have learned not to push myself too hard too many days in a row. So as opposed to yesterday’s hard core 5 miler, I approached today’s run at an easy steady pace averaging a full minute slower then before.

I also like to keep my body guessing and make sure no two runs are the same in a week. You may see me do a speedy short distance one day, a longer slower run the next and a steady medium run the day after. I find a great variety of runs is what works best for my body and running abilities. Plus, it keeps it fun and never boring. 😉

Last night I alluded to a ‘secret project’ I was working on last night. I was experimenting with an idea Mica had tweeted about the other week.

Here is how the tweet conversation went

@mllemica Fairly Productive morning: 7-mile run and fresh blueberry muffins about to come out of the oven. The latter makes me feel domestic.

@graduatemeghann I wish I had time to bake muffins. Sounds sooo good right now 🙂

@mllemica I made the batter last night and then just put them in the cups this morning. It saved a lot of time.

@graduatemeghann Great idea!!

So last night I pulled out Nicole’s recipe for Blueberry Chia Muffins from my ‘must try’ database and whipped up the batter. I went against all my instincts and did not make any changes to the recipe. I had to keep remind myself baking is different then cooking and one change could throw the whole thing off.

I put the batter in the fridge and pulled it out this morning after my run to fill the cups.

DSCN3193

They baked as I took a shower and got dressed.

DSCN3196

Nothing smells better in the morning then pulling fresh baked muffins out of the oven! Prepping the batter the night before made fresh baked muffins seem like no big deal.

DSCN3199

I enjoyed two of the fresh out of the oven muffins for breakfast.

DSCN3203

LOVE, LOVE this recipe! The muffins were very moist and the added flax seeds, chia seeds and whole wheat flour really gave these muffins some sticking power.

With the muffins I whipped up a fruit salad of Grapes, Mango, Kiwi, Plum & Strawberries that I coated in Oikos Plain Yogurt.

DSCN3202

It was like eating a weekend breakfast in the middle of the week.

DSCN3205

Does anyone else have any fun time saving tips like Mica’s?

1 Erin July 29, 2009 at 8:54 am

I teach cooking at my school and we pre-make cupcake batter every day. If there’s room in your fridge for the entire pan, go ahead and fill the cups the night before. All you need to do in the morning is pop it in the oven. Might save a couple minutes…

2 nutritionbyeve July 29, 2009 at 8:54 am

Those look great! Love the idea of prepping the night before.

Did these come out sticky at all? Whenever I make low-fat muffins they seem to be very sticky, and not crumbly like “normal” muffins. I’m assuming it’s the lack of butter, but am not complete sure.

3 Meghann July 29, 2009 at 8:58 am

these muffins were actually pretty cumbly. i tried to wibe the bowl of yogurt cleanwith half a mufin and it just fell apart as I did so and I just ate the pieces with a spoon 🙂

4 Nicole July 29, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Sorry to cut in, but I wanted to mention that I think the flax works as a fat substitute and that could be why they are more crumbly instead of sticky!

5 megan July 29, 2009 at 8:54 am

Wow, what a great idea! I wonder if this would work this normal blueberry muffins? (the non-healthy kind) 🙂 for some reason i was thinking that the batter gets thicker as it sits and i’ve been told to bake as soon as you mix it up. anybody know anything about this?

6 Meghann July 29, 2009 at 8:59 am

I was afraid of the muffin batter being thick too and was prepared to add more milk as needed. But honestly I felt the thicker batter worked well with filling up the cups. It made for an easier, less messy transfer

7 Nicole July 29, 2009 at 3:20 pm

In my muffin experience, I’ve found that a thicker batter works better! When I have a less thick batter it seems like the muffins don’t rise as much and are more cake like. I’m not sure if this is true for all recipes, but I’ve noticed this in my muffin making adventures.

8 trinichiqn July 29, 2009 at 9:13 am

Actually I do the same thing and not just with muffins. I make pizza dough, casseroles, muffin batter, pastry dough and such ahead of time and put them in the fridge and just bake the next day.

I cut up veges and store them in portion sizes for easy use. I mainly cook for just myself so if I buy a squash, even the smallest on I can find it is usually to much for one time so I have these little 1/4 and 1/2 cup bowls that I put beans, squash, corn, zucchini, etc. I just have to pull my bowls and I know I have the right amount (pull 2 or 3 if you have company). If you are cooking the veges (not baking/roasting), it goes straight from freezer to pot. If you are using it within 3 days it stays nicely in the refridgerator.

I cook easily Mon-Fri cause it is just a pull and go, I can also easily change my mind because I always try to have a range of choices.

9 Amanda July 29, 2009 at 9:15 am

The muffins look awesome! Yay Meghann! A similar time-saver is to make cookie dough and put in fridge to bake later or go one step further and roll into balls, then freeze until ready to bake. Another time-saving techniques are measuring dry ingredients in advance. I’m sure I have more… 🙂

10 Amanda July 29, 2009 at 9:20 am

Love stuff like this! I always pack my lunch and my bag for work the night before. I also have my coffee pot all set and ready to go so when I wake up, I turn it on and hop in the shower. Then it’s brewed and yummy smelling when I get out! One other thing is when I decide I want tofu for dinner, I will press it while I’m at the gym after work and then make it right when I get home!

11 Whit July 29, 2009 at 9:28 am

Brilliant idea! I am going to start doing that with muffins and pancakes! Fab!

12 Mica July 29, 2009 at 9:34 am

Yay, I’m glad that “my” tip worked for you. I like how your muffins are approximately 23849032894032 times healthier than mine, haha. Way to show me up. 😉

13 Bec July 29, 2009 at 9:43 am

yum 🙂 perfect way to start the day. my moms best bread recipe requires the bread to rise overnight so we always wake up to fresh bread, its amazing!

14 Meganerd July 29, 2009 at 9:50 am

fabulous idea! Muffins sounds delicious right now! Maybe I’ll make some later 😀

did you run 5 miles again today? You are so hardcore! LOL

15 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 29, 2009 at 9:54 am

That is such a great idea and it sounds like a wonderful recipe. Thanks for the tip!

16 Andee (Runtolive) July 29, 2009 at 9:57 am

Great idea! Those muffins look so good. Did you find them to be very sweet?

17 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 29, 2009 at 10:01 am

muffins look awesome! love the idea of making the batter before hand, too!

18 runnerskitchen July 29, 2009 at 10:08 am

Packing (and sometimes photographing) my breakfast/lunch the night before is a great timesaver! And I am a sucker for warm blueberry muffins topped with a little butter, mmm.

19 Danielle July 29, 2009 at 10:12 am

What a great idea! I’ve never thought of that before and I know it will come in handy once school starts back up in just a few weeks and my summer vacation is over.

20 Lizzy July 29, 2009 at 10:13 am

such a good idea!!! The its not such a big process in the morning, all you gotta do is put it in the oven and their ready in no time without the fuss of doing all the work at once! yay!

21 Jaime July 29, 2009 at 10:13 am

Those muffins are soooo yum! Nicole used that recipe as a guest post on my blog, and I immediately made the muffins upon my return from vacation. I actually just had one with my coffee! A keeper for sure. 🙂

22 Mandy A July 29, 2009 at 10:23 am

This is a great idea!!! I usually make mine on the weekend or the night before … wrap them up individually and freeze them and pull them out when we want one!

23 Taylor Leigh July 29, 2009 at 10:50 am

I have been craving blueberry muffins! Thats such a great time saving idea!

24 Emily July 29, 2009 at 10:56 am

Sounds like a great recipe. I love anything that saves me time in the morning. I like to program my coffeemaker to automatically start brewing, so when I get up I can immediately grab a cup. 🙂

25 Tammy Eros July 29, 2009 at 10:59 am

I defintaely agree on the runs…yesterday was a great speed workout, and today is an “active rest” day, as my coach calls it. As far as the muffins go, they look great! I’ve been wanting to try Chia seeds!

26 Madelin July 29, 2009 at 11:18 am

I am definitely going to try making the batter the night before – they are so quick to cook that it totally makes sense! Especially if you make mini muffins 🙂

27 Betsy July 29, 2009 at 11:20 am

Great idea!!

28 roseyrebecca July 29, 2009 at 11:30 am

That’s such a good idea!! Those muffins look awesome!!

29 Susan July 29, 2009 at 11:39 am

Ohh, I’ve been looking for a new muffin recipe to try, I’ll have to add that to my own list!

I like having coffee in the morning, so I’ve been making it in my french press the night before and just sticking it in my fridge. That way I can drink it immediately in the morning, and the iced stuff is quicker to drink. Makes for a more energized run too 😉

30 Bevin July 29, 2009 at 11:40 am

i really like the idea of doing all different mileages in a week… i think i’ll try it! thanks!

31 nicole h July 29, 2009 at 11:59 am

i love blueberry muffins, i used Jenna’s recipe last time for blueberry muffins which was awesome. i will try these next time for sure

32 Rose July 29, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Those look… so GOOD!

33 Carolyn July 29, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Great time saving idea with the muffins. I’ll have to try it! With anything I bake, I usually eat a couple and then bring the rest to work. Keeps me from overdoing it and makes me popular! 🙂

BTW: I’m giving away a free container of Spirutein on my blog.

34 allikay July 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I’ve been looking for a “healthy” blueberry muffins recipe for AGES! Can’t wait to try this one!

35 Melissa S. July 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Great job BAKING meghann!!!! so proud of you!

i totally make double batches at once and freeze one to be able to eat later…whenever that is…probably sooner rather than later. haha.

36 Rebeca July 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm

That’s a great idea!

For my oatmeal breakfasts, I pre-measure toppings and put them in a container, and then throw some sliced strawberries and “milk” in another container and keep that in the fridge. The next morning I just dump that in the pot with the oats and don’t even have to think about measuring or ingredients with my hazy brain. Added bonus the milk takes on the strawberry flavor (like it does with that syrup crap) and makes the whole bowl soooo much better. Yum.

37 Niki July 29, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for the healthy muffin recipe!! They look GREAT!!

38 Nicole July 29, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I do this with the food I prepare in my slow cooker. Anything that needs to be pre-cooked (like veggies, meats, etc) gets cooked before I go to bed and put in the fridge. Then when I wake up, the first thing I do is throw everything in the cooker and set it.
This might seem strange too but I make my oats in the microwave, but sometimes they take too long. So before I get in the shower I will mix my oats with my milk and let it sit while I’m showering. It seems like letting them sit and soak for that extra 20 minutes helps them to cook faster…it saves me about 10 minutes!

39 Tay July 29, 2009 at 6:02 pm

GREAT idea!! Then you can have a freshly baked muffin in the morn! I used to get the pan out and dump my oatmeal into it at night so I’d just have to add the milk to it in the morn. But that was more so I wouldn’t be too loud for my roommates.

40 Elina July 30, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Do you know if you can make any muffin batter ahead of time, or just one with chia seeds?