more ยป" />

Beets… Its What's for Dinner

by Meghann on July 28, 2009

It’s day 15 of the 30 Day Shred challenge and I have to be honest when I say I was dreading doing level two again after work today. These 20 minute sessions are a lot of work every day!

Begrudgingly I put the DVD on as soon as I walked in the door and got my Jillian in for the day. It was awful, it was torture, but in the end I was glad to have it finished.

Am I really only half way through? Ughh… I am a machine. I can do this. ๐Ÿ™‚

The best part with finishing the shred is getting to spend quality time in my kitchen experimenting with a new vegetable: Beets.

chopped_beets.JPG.jpeg

Beets have always been a mysterious vegetable to me. I was never sure quite how to cook them and have only ever had them as a salad topping in the past.

The other week I was inspired by my cousin Andrea’s recipe for Red Beet Risotto to finally give the mysterious vegetable a shot. Her recipe was relatively simple to follow and as always her pictures of the finished dish made my mouth water.

DSCN3184.JPG

I quartered the recipe, added shrimp and subbed brown rice for the arborio rice. Besides that I followed her directions to a tee.

DSCN3186.JPG

The flavors in this dish were spot on. Yum! It was very creamy and delicious. The beet flavor was a lot more milder cooked then when I sampled it raw on the counter. I actually preferred the cooked beet to the raw beet, I found it to be a tad earthy tasting. Also, my addition of shrimp was a great last minute decision. ๐Ÿ™‚

Overall I give the recipe a big thumbs up and am excited to experiment with the rest of the betts I purchased at the farmer’s market last weekend.

After dinner I worked on a secret project that will be revealed in the morning ๐Ÿ˜‰ and dug into my very last So Delicious Almond Coconut Ice Cream Bar.

DSCN3191.JPG

I really enjoyed these delectable ice cream bars and once I eat down the rest of the So Delicious Ice Cream the wonderful people at Turtle Mountain sent me, I fully intend to purchase more.

At work this afternoon I became ‘that girl’ in the office when I popped a 100 calorie pack of Kettle Corn around 4:00.

DSCN3183.JPG

I should have kept track of how many people walked by exclaiming “Who made popcorn?” hehe

Now its time to sit back and relax. Have a great night everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 katie s July 28, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Yum!! That dinner and dessert looks delicious!!! And I know just what you mean about popcorn in the work place haha.. one time I burnt my popcorn… people weren’t too happy about that one!!! ooops!!!

2 Marissa July 28, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I’ve def. been the girl that makes the office smell like popcorn ๐Ÿ™‚

3 homecookedem July 28, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Hey Meghann,

I tried yucca fries yesterday and mentioned you on my blog! They were really good!! Thanks for the great idea, the husband and I will be eating these again for sure!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Lyss July 28, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Hey, being “the girl who made the office smell like popcorn” is better than “being the girl who made the office smell like BURNT popcorn”! ๐Ÿ™‚

I will never understand beets, but glad they worked out well for you! Do those ice cream bars come in different flavors? I’m really craving one.

5 Bec July 28, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I totally thought of Dwight from The Office when I read your post tittle!

6 Danielle July 28, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Ha! That always happens in my office too. People just love/hate the popcorn smell ๐Ÿ™‚ and then want to know where to get some ๐Ÿ™‚

7 roseyrebecca July 28, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I used to make Lean Cuisines at my office and I swear I could have done a commercial for them. Everybody was always wondering what smelled so good.

That ice cream bar looks yummy!

8 Spotty Prep July 28, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I do not think that I have ever had a beet, but that dinner sure looks good!

9 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 28, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Haha that always happens in my office too. But I’m in the clear as long as I share ๐Ÿ™‚

10 JB July 28, 2009 at 9:03 pm

oh i LOVE beets! i just don’t like when they stain my fingers!

11 Tammy Eros July 28, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Well…you must make the cliche “Borscht” with your beets..it is wonderful!

12 Emily July 28, 2009 at 9:06 pm

It’s ok, my freshman year of college I was “that girl” who made popcorn and set of the fire alarms causing a full-scale evacuation!

13 Andrea [bella eats] July 28, 2009 at 9:08 pm

So glad you loved the risotto! You’ll be come addicted to beets…they are a staple in our house! ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Julie July 28, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I had beets last night for dinner, fresh from my organic CSA – this is seriously the best recipe – wrap the raw beets in aluminum foil and roast for 45 min or so at 450″ (until you can easily stick a fork in them). Let them cool, unwrap and rinse off the skins. Then, dice the beets, mix with a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, some feta cheese, and walnuts. OH MY GOODNESS – it’s so good! I don’t really follow a recipe, so there are no amounts, but it’s awesome!

15 lisa July 29, 2009 at 12:44 am

Add some mustard to the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, mix well to get all the ingredients one creamy cohesive liquid – then the above recipe is to die for! And it’s super easy working with the beets that way since when cooked they don’t stain your fingers!

16 Sarah July 28, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Beets are so good! Glad that you like them!

Hee hee, I love to be “that girl” with the popcorn. It’s such a funny thing to see everyone pop out and ask about it. Smells so yummy!

17 Lizzy July 28, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I’m not a fan of beets unless there pickled but this looks so good! i should try it!

i’m always that girl too ๐Ÿ™‚ haah

18 Island Girl Eats July 28, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I really like the taste of raw beets. It kind of tastes like dirt to me!

19 Whit July 28, 2009 at 9:39 pm

haha, I love the popcorn comments!

20 Deva July 28, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Beets roasted in the oven with some potatoes and fresh farmers market green beans all tossed together with maple-mustard glaze is delicious… ๐Ÿ™‚ I love beets!

21 Mandy A July 28, 2009 at 9:45 pm

LOL that’s definitely what goes on in our office when anyone pops popcorn!!

I am actually on day 4 of my 30 day shred challenge.. my husband and best friend are joining in, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

22 allijag July 28, 2009 at 9:47 pm

I totally forgot andrea is your cousin! Now there are 3 food bloggers in your fam – too fun! ๐Ÿ˜‰

SOmetimes I eat beets and I love the, other times – I want to gag! But the meal you whipped up looks FABU!!! NICELY DONE!

23 Allie Katie July 28, 2009 at 9:48 pm

I was totally “that girl” at the office the other day. Unfortunately for them I was heating up split pea soup and I was getting glares, not jealous looks.

24 Pam July 28, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Oh I LOVE beets! It was definitely a mystery vegetable for me too. I’m slowly trying to conquer all of the mysterious vegetables in the grocery store.

Kohlrabi was a let down. Beet love.

haha

25 Meredith July 28, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Hang in there with the Shredding!

26 Leianna July 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I love kettle corn!

27 RunToFinish July 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm

you know I haven’t ever tried beets either…they are kind of like brussel sprouts to me, just scary. I’m going to checkout her recipe now

28 Rachel July 29, 2009 at 1:36 am

Sigh. Beets have always had a gag-me factor to them for me, I think because I’ve really only tried the gross canned or otherwise preserved kind! Blech! I’ve gotten beet in a fresh juice before and didn’t love it either. But I don’t know if should be prejudiced against beets for my whole life… so perhaps I shall try them. You’ve inspired me as usual ๐Ÿ™‚

29 Rebeca July 29, 2009 at 3:45 am

i love beets (plus greens, walnuts and goat cheese- nothing could make me happier)

30 Kiki (Run Kiki Run) July 29, 2009 at 4:52 am

my one (unsuccessful) effort to try beets left me with a permanently stained tshirt and fingers that didnt return to normal colour for a while. did u manage alright? x

31 caitlin July 29, 2009 at 6:24 am

you have a suprise and i dont know what it is?!?! meghann i feel like i don’t even KNOW you anymore hehehe

32 Susan July 29, 2009 at 6:49 am

Bahaha, my boss pops a bag of popcorn every day at 3pm. He’s totally “that” guy at the office! The smell always makes me delve into my bag to retrieve my afternoon treat ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve been wondering about the 30 Day Shred… From everything I’ve read, you’re supposed to rest your muscles for 48 hours after weight lifting so they have proper time to repair (and grow!) between workouts. Working the same muscles everyday for the Shred doesn’t sound like there’s enough recovery time in there to me. Does Jillian address that in the DVD?

33 kristen July 29, 2009 at 7:17 am

We aren’t supposed to make popcorn in the office for that very reason- it drives people crazy with hunger.

I’ve never really liked beets. To me they taste like sweet dirt…(though I’d be willing to try borscht)

34 Ada July 29, 2009 at 8:27 am

Yum, I love beets and cannot understand why Obama detests them haha.

Last night I tried making your yucca fries and they were great! Thank you so much for the recipe:)

35 tlconrad July 29, 2009 at 8:31 am

i am only on level 1 day 3 of the 30 day shred and its killing me! hahaha i am so glad that i can look forward to worse things in the future : ) I have had sweat coming out of places i never knew could sweaat. hahaha. keep up the good work!

TLC

36 Aggie July 29, 2009 at 9:08 am

I’m curious about beets too…you may have convinced me to try them.

37 ksgoodeats July 29, 2009 at 9:51 am

Now that I’m off the dairy train, that ice cream sounds fantastic!! I tried beets once but couldn’t get past the texture – something about it just didn’t sit right. Glad you liked the dish though ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Andee (Runtolive) July 29, 2009 at 10:11 am

Never had beets before either! I always see them raw on salads though. I need to get some of those ice cream bars!

39 Andrea (Off Her Cork) July 29, 2009 at 10:13 am

Oh gosh I love beets! Both raw, cooked, and pickled. YUM! I also like adding them to smoothies. Since beets are naturally sweet (in fact a lot of the white sugar in stores actually comes from beets) they add a great color and natural sweetness to the smoothies. ๐Ÿ˜€

40 papayafish July 29, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Did you buy the greens with the beets?? If you like dark leafy greens, don’t waste the beet leaves!! They’re my absolute favorite green. You can cook them anyway you cook any other greens (spinach, swiss chard, collards, etc.), but I prefer them served cold with salt, pepper & LOTS of red wine vinegar!

41 Averie July 30, 2009 at 2:57 am

I go back and forth with beets. In the winter I love to roast them. In the summer, I can’t see roasting, I can’t handle them raw, and your sautee’ed recipe gives me some hope. I have 6 in my fridge right now that were part of my last CSA box pickup.

BTW thank you also for this post

I am new and it has been a biggggg help! Thank you!!!

42 Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 30, 2009 at 7:34 am

I’ve always wondered if you could sub brown rice for arborio in risotto. Did it take longer to cook? I’ve substituted quinoa before and that worked beautifully. Thanks for the idea!