A Speedy Morning

by Meghann on July 28, 2009

My run this morning was amazing. It is as simple as that. πŸ™‚

I credit the amazing run with the little extra effort I gave this morning. Instead of taking it easy I made my legs work harder and pushed them to the edge. I was actually surprised how great my legs felt after the first mile and then the second, it was like I had been holding out on myself. The 5 miles flew by and before I knew it I had finished with an average pace of 8:32 per mile!

Check out the stats!

• Distance:  5 miles
  • Time:  42:43
  • Avg Pace:  8:32
  • Avg Heart Rate:  170
  • Calories Burned:  475
  • Mile 1:  9:04
  • Mile 2:  8:23
  • Mile 3:  8:29
  • Mile 4:  8:31
  • Mile 5:  8:14

I don’t run every morning for speed, but the ones I do I always end with a huge grin of accomplishment on my face. I get this overwelming feeling to shout my split times from the roof top and make everyone listen. Its the tiny things in life that make me happy. πŸ™‚

I will admit the run was exhausting and I returned home to a cold shower. I have been taking ALOT of cold showers this morning. After a nice run in 100% humidity and 85 degree temps, a cold shower is the only way to go.

Breakfast was a nice refreshing bowl of cold cereal.

DSCN3171

• 1/3 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/3 cup TJ’s Strawberry Yogurt O’s
  • 1/3 cup GraduateMeghann’s Mix
  • Oikos Plain Yogurt
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Ground Flax Seed

DSCN3169

I finally got around to purchasing ground flax seed over the week and plan to make it a daily addition to my morning breakfast. Flax seed provides so many great nutrients and makes a fun addition to any yogurt based cereal. πŸ™‚

Now I am unbelievably thirsty. Time to rehydrate with lots of water. Mmmm.. gotta love that H2O! πŸ™‚

1 Taylor Leigh July 28, 2009 at 8:32 am

I love runs like that, esp. b/c your pushing yourself hard! The end of the run feels amazing! Have a great Tuesday πŸ™‚

2 Christina July 28, 2009 at 8:52 am

I love flax seed, I put it on everything from oatmeal to ice cream!

3 CJ July 28, 2009 at 8:59 am

I seriously am in awe of your running – I pushed myself this morning and did 4 miles and it took me about 3 more minutes than it took you to go 5!

Do you think in the beginning its best to build up speed or distance? I feel like I have the choice of either running faster and then taking walk breaks to recover or (what I do now) plod along at my 12min/mile pace for miles – I plodded along for 7 miles this weekend!

-CJ

4 Meghann July 28, 2009 at 9:02 am

Personally I built up distance before speed. You will be surprised once you build up the distance that the speed will come naturally, but it all takes time. 7 miles is excellents at a 12 min/mile. That’s something to be very proud of!!! πŸ™‚

5 bobbi July 28, 2009 at 9:24 am

great run dear! Love the bowl, a Target find πŸ˜‰ Have a beautiful day!

6 nicole h July 28, 2009 at 9:31 am

your cold cereal mix up looks great! and congrats on having a run where your last milke was the fastest

7 Erin July 28, 2009 at 9:40 am

Your breakfasts always make me so hungry — but it’s bedtime here! Ah well, something to look forward to in the morning. πŸ™‚

8 Kiki (Run Kiki Run) July 28, 2009 at 9:47 am

Not sure where to get flax seeds in the UK – prob health food stores or possibly Whole foods market, I guess… What does it taste like?

9 Meghann July 28, 2009 at 10:02 am

I would say whole Foods would be your best bet.

10 jen July 28, 2009 at 9:53 am

hi meghann! i think you have a garmin (i have a 350) and im wondering how you use it to get your mile splits? i tend to just start mine at the beginning of my run and use it for pace, distance etc but since im trying to work on speed as well, knowing how to do mile splits would be amazing! thanks!

11 Meghann July 28, 2009 at 9:55 am

Hey Jen, It’s really easy just go to Training > Training Options > Auto Lap : Distance 1.0 to set it on your Garmin πŸ™‚

12 Danielle July 28, 2009 at 9:59 am

Awesome run!
And that breakfast looks so good, very refreshing after a 5 mile run I’m sure!

13 Whit July 28, 2009 at 10:00 am

Great run! Nothing beats a nice run, cold shower and cold cereal!

14 kath July 28, 2009 at 10:16 am

NICE times!!!!!!!!!!

15 ~carolyn~ July 28, 2009 at 10:35 am

Wow…you really do inspire me! I was going to ask about your splits ont he Garmin and I see you answered that…i just ran the SF 1/2 this past weekend and realized I just had 1 big lap…oh well.

My other question for you is what do you do next? I have been training for this half for about 12 weeks. I am still a little sore so I have not run again but I am feeling like I have to do another one…I have nothing to look forward to! How did you feel after the full 26.2 ? Did you go through a little bit of a low?

16 Meghann July 28, 2009 at 10:47 am

It took me a lot longer to recover from my marathon then i was expecting. I couldn’t run for three weeks and when I started again I felt very slow and dragging. I kept my milage low and learned to fall in love with it all over again as I slowly build my ability back up. I have a slew of races coming up in the fall that I am focused off and my next marathon is in January.

I say go out and find another race to strive for and have fun!

17 roseyrebecca July 28, 2009 at 10:37 am

I need to buy some flax seed to add to my oatmeal!!

Glad you had such a good run!!

18 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 28, 2009 at 10:42 am

Nice run stats! Tasty re-fuel, too! πŸ˜‰

19 ksgoodeats July 28, 2009 at 10:46 am

Wow! Way to go with the run!! Perfect choice in refueling as well – nice and cold πŸ™‚

20 melruns July 28, 2009 at 10:55 am

Meghann you rock!! I’m trying to get my morning energy to be reliable like yours seems to be. Today was a bust for me, but I will keep at it! I’m thinkin my coffee addiction probably brings me down… ha. Bummer. That’s a challenge I’m not ready for!

21 Matt July 28, 2009 at 11:10 am

I love running fast πŸ™‚

22 HelpMeghanRun July 28, 2009 at 11:13 am

I like hot runs with yogurt, cereal, and fruit afterward. Way to start off a morning!

23 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 28, 2009 at 11:18 am

congrats on your amazing times!!

24 Paige@ Running Around Normal July 28, 2009 at 11:40 am

What awesome times!! Breakfast looks like a perfect post-run meal.

25 Holly July 28, 2009 at 12:09 pm

That is awesome – you are so speedy!!! I love quick runs. πŸ™‚

26 Courtney July 28, 2009 at 12:47 pm

You’re such an amazing runner! I still can’t get my miles below 9 minutes! πŸ™

-Courtney

27 Traci July 28, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Nice run this morning! I had a good run last night but held the speed back a little (hot & humid in Boston). I feel challenged to push it a little tonight now. I know what you mean about feeling so great after a run like that! Good for you.

28 Quinn July 28, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Nice run! I know what you mean – sometimes you just GO and the run is over before you know it!

29 Melissa S. July 28, 2009 at 1:53 pm

i did the same thing for my run this morning. actually average 8.20-8.30 minute miles. didn’t think i had that in me anymore!

30 Kim July 28, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Wow, awesome run!

Not to be too random, but I’ve been addicted to this page on the NYT, and couldn’t help but think that you should submit a photo of cutie-pie Abbie! πŸ™‚

31 Deva July 28, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Rockin run! I am hoping to get a run in tonight before it rains..

32 Wendy July 28, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Great job on your run today! Love days like that!

If you get a chance,stop by my blog I’d love to hear your input on Team in Training, as I am considering doing one after I run Chicago in Oct. Thanks so much!

33 Jess July 28, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Congrats on a super speedy run! Bet that cold shower felt really nice afterward!