One Year Ago

by Meghann on July 27, 2009

Exactly one year ago today I quit my job up in Tallahassee, loaded up my car and moved to Orlando. It was also the same day my ex became my ex, I attended an engagement party for a wedding that never happened and the last time I saw my BFF Erin.

Wow, I can’t believe all that was a year ago! Time sure does fly when you’re having fun! I guess that just means I made the right decision.

I moved to Orlando with no job, no apartment and no boyfriend. Little by little I have carved my way through this little city and have loved every minute of it. Sometimes those big decisions really do pay off in the end.

It took no effort at all to get up this  morning. It’s funny how when I go a couple of days without running my body literally craves it. I set out to do 4 miles and the run just felt so great I kept getting negative splits. My last mile clocked in at 8:41!

I finished 4.2 miles in 37:03. This made me happy. 🙂

I did not have time to run to the store yesterday, so breakfast was a little creative.

DSCN3132

I microwaved an Apple with a little cinnamon for a minute then topped it with 1/2 cup of the new granola I bought yesterday, some ricotta cheese, a spoonful of Naturally Nutty Chocolate Toffee Peanut Butter and a handful of grapes.

DSCN3133

It sounds odd, but was actually really good! The peanut butter and ricotta made a great blend that sort of melted on the apples and the granola gave it a nice crunch. There is still some ricotta left, so I may just have to make this concoction again this week. 😉 Yum!

I hope everyone has a great start to the last week in July. I can’t believe Saturday is August 1st! Summer is simply flying by.

1 Erica July 27, 2009 at 8:40 am

WOW! I think that you have accomplished so many amazing things this year. I am contemplating changing a few things up myself….hopefully I will have the guts to go through with them haha. Again- yummy bfast. You always seem to mak amazing meals with whatever you have on hand. Enjoy your Monday

2 Amanda July 27, 2009 at 9:00 am

It’s funny – July 27 is a personal milestone for me, too. It was 3 years ago today that I moved back to MI from Boston (100% my own decision) – I ended a relationship, moved in with my parents (for a few months), and found a new job. Just like you, I have come a long way and enjoyed every minute of it!!

3 nutritionbyeve July 27, 2009 at 9:00 am

Making changes can be hard, sounds like yours really paid off – congrats!

What type of ricotta do you use? fat free, low fat, whole?

4 Meghann July 27, 2009 at 9:04 am

It’s Publix Brand Part -Skim.

5 Betsy July 27, 2009 at 9:02 am

I don’t think I knew about those changes you went through… I never would have known considering how well you’re doing now! 🙂

6 healthsweethealth July 27, 2009 at 9:05 am

Congrats on your one year um, you-iversary!! You should be proud of yourself and your accomplishments.

Ps i LOVE ricotta

7 Mica July 27, 2009 at 9:10 am

What a year! You’ve accomplished so much!

8 tlconrad July 27, 2009 at 9:16 am

it is so insane that saturday is August. i always think of august as summer is over. that is so sad… up here in pennsylvania we have not had one day of 90 degree weather and it has been dreary and icky almost all summer. i hope august brings hot summer! enjoy the last month

TLC

9 VeggieGirl July 27, 2009 at 9:25 am

Great milestone!

10 Amelia July 27, 2009 at 9:29 am

Isn’t it amazing how much can happen in a year? I was just thinking about that this morning. Even though it sometimes takes some difficult changes, it’s all part of moving forward!

11 AshleyP July 27, 2009 at 9:30 am

It can be so fun to look back- last year seems sooo long ago for me 🙂 Have a great start to the work week!

12 Whit July 27, 2009 at 9:33 am

Wow, congrats on the year anniversary of moving to Orlando! Looks like you have done pretty well for yourself sista! You did pretty well for yourself at bfast too. YUM!

13 melruns July 27, 2009 at 9:42 am

Any chance this was inspired by my ricotta comment? Looks yum 🙂

Happy Monday
-Mel (http://sherunsbrooklyn.wordpress.com/)

14 Nicole July 27, 2009 at 9:45 am

Congratulations on your milestone! I have to ask, how did you do it? I mean, did you know anyone in Orlando (Caitlin) that you might have stayed with until you got a job/apt? I ask because I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing but convincing the BF to do it has been tough. He lost his job and the market it pretty dry here in Boston so I thought it would be a good time to start fresh somewhere new. Just wondering…
Have a good day!

15 runeatrepeat July 27, 2009 at 9:52 am

Wow – you took a HUGE and scary step doing all that a year ago. Since I just moved I know how scary it is – good for you! I’m glad it worked out 🙂

16 Susan July 27, 2009 at 10:18 am

Yay for new beginnings! I have a similar story, I would never have believed I’d end up where I am today when I moved to my city 5 years ago! I love how life works like that sometimes 😉

Your breakfast looks particularly good today! Apples and ricotta sounds like a perfect mix 🙂

17 Island Girl Eats July 27, 2009 at 10:27 am

Sometimes in life there is no reward without an element of risk. Good for you for taking that leap of faith!

Well done on the creative breakfast! It is amazing what we can throw together when pushed!

Have a great day.

18 Tammy Eros July 27, 2009 at 10:32 am

Sometimes that’s the best time to make a move, when you have nothing left to lose and no reason to stay! Why did you pick Orlando?

19 roseyrebecca July 27, 2009 at 10:34 am

That’s so amazing that you just got up and went like that!! I would love to do that!! I want to move to California really bad.

On another note, microwaving an apple sounds really good.

I listed your blog as one of my favorites in my most recent post 🙂

20 Derek July 27, 2009 at 10:36 am

I couldn’t be happier about your decision to move to Orlando 😉

21 carolinebee July 27, 2009 at 10:51 am

what a brave step at such a young age!! It sounds like everything has worked out amazingly, you seem SO happy in Orlando and pretty dang successful! I can’t wait to make the big scary move myself now 😀

22 Emily Malone July 27, 2009 at 11:09 am

this post comes at a good time. i just quit my job last tuesday, after five years of being trapped (miserably) at a desk. im pursuing my dream and going to cooking school to study culinary nutrition, and moving all the way from ohio to north carolina! im really excited, but also terrified… 🙂

it’s nice to hear that your risky and scary decision has paid off so well! crossing my fingers to have a “one year later” success post of my own:)

23 Danielle July 27, 2009 at 11:14 am

What a fun and creative breakfast!
And it sounds like you’ve had an amazing year!

24 Leah @ L4L July 27, 2009 at 11:15 am

Wow! That was quite the day, 1 year ago!!! Jeez!

25 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 27, 2009 at 11:18 am

love the milestone! It really is crazy how time flies! HERE’S TO ANOTHER GREAT YEAR 😉

26 Mandy A July 27, 2009 at 11:18 am

Great post!!! You have achieved so much this past year.. .it’s such a brave move to up and completely shift your life like that!! Most people won’t do that for themselves!

27 Leianna July 27, 2009 at 11:28 am

That breakfast looks really good, sometimes when there isn’t much left in the fridge, the creativity and leftovers create some new and exciting!

28 Matt July 27, 2009 at 11:35 am

Sounds like you have reached a milestone 🙂

29 tiponz July 27, 2009 at 12:14 pm

great idea with the breakfast! great run today too– i just love those days when you wake up and cant wait to get out the door- unforunately today was not one of those days for me!

30 NY Wolve July 27, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Sounds like an awfully good year. I hope you many more that are as happy and productive.

31 ksgoodeats July 27, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Isn’t it crazy how much life can change in one year?! It sounds like your life changes were for the better though? That’s always good 🙂

I’ve never had ricotta cheese! I like the sounds of it though!

32 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 27, 2009 at 1:10 pm

That actually sounds really yummy!

33 caloriesdonthavefangs July 27, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Your move is inspirational! Hoorah for you for taking the plunge into uncharted territory!

34 Melissa S. July 27, 2009 at 1:48 pm

dude, you’ve adjusted so well after your impromptu move because YOU’RE SO AWESOME. ‘nough said.

35 RunToFinish July 27, 2009 at 2:19 pm

wow I had no idea you had done that… I’m supremely jealous in a way. I do love my job but want to move so very badly. You’ve had an amazing year.

36 JB July 27, 2009 at 2:30 pm

sounds like you had a great run this morning! and i know, time flies by so quickly! it’s seriously amazing. and your breakfast looks fantastic, by the way! 🙂

37 loveprevails July 27, 2009 at 5:15 pm

wow i am so impressed and proud of your ‘big’ decision to move closer to home even with the ‘minus’ of the ex and bff. I have been through alot of lost friendships and often fear the future with my boy but seeing you just a couple years ahead of me, ill be a senior in college this fall, I keep trucking!
Thanks girl 🙂

38 Lauren July 27, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Wow, what a great day to celebrate life for you! 🙂

So, do you mind if I ask what inspired you to drop everything and move to Orlando? I’m sorry if you’ve mentioned this before, but I think that is truly admirable that you were able to make such a lifechanging decision based on your heart and faith.

Hope you had a great day today Meghann!

39 Melissa July 27, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Meghann you never cease to be a positive inspiration. You are such an example of what can happen when you go for it.

Much success in the year to come. see you in boston soon!

40 Bevin July 27, 2009 at 9:45 pm

congrats on the move, meghann!! and that breakfast looked really exciting… not just creative! i eat weird breakfasts too, like carrots and hummus or avocado salads!